BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

Closed Thread

10-27-2020, 10:01 AM   #309
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
This is a US-only special edition

This is not a specialized forum. It's one of the largest BMW communities in the US. The opinion of the members here it's extremely valuable and important. I'll be shocked if the combined purchasing power from Bimmerpost members is not in excess of $1B.

It'll be illogical for BMW to ignore the opinion of loyal enthusiasts with such buying power.
I know a lot of NYC M enthusiasts...none of them are on here. Some are, most aren't. Some lurk but don't post/have accounts. I would venture less than 10% of M car owners are on here.

What did we sell, 35,000 F80s? How come there's only maybe 1,000 (or far less) of us that are squawking all day long?

We are the most dedicated of the breed, sure. But non forum money goes a lot further than forum money. It's not a "specialized forum," correct. BUt the people on here are a special breed, that's for sure.
Agreed. It's interesting how many M owners in California aren't on any BMW forums. That statement even applies to those with modifications. I have yet to pull over any M driver who is on a BMW forum either.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 10:03 AM   #310
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Agreed. It's interesting how many M owners in California aren't on any BMW forums. That statement even applies to those with modifications. I have yet to pull over any M driver who is on a BMW forum either.
What kind of preferential treatment do you provide to M drivers you pull over? lol
Appreciate 1
VetteGuy845.50
      10-27-2020, 10:28 AM   #311
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What kind of preferential treatment do you provide to M drivers you pull over? lol
It depends on their username. Lol!
Appreciate 2
      10-27-2020, 10:47 AM   #312
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

Quote:

This is not a specialized forum. It's one of the largest BMW communities in the US. The opinion of the members here it's extremely valuable and important. I'll be shocked if the combined purchasing power from Bimmerpost members is not in excess of $1B.

It'll be illogical for BMW to ignore the opinion of loyal enthusiasts with such buying power.
While this is a vocal forum, I doubt that it is anywhere as large or as valuable as we would like to think we are. I suspect that vocal Bimmerpost members represent far less than 1% of BMW buyers in the US, let alone world-wide, and probably less than 2-3%% of BMW "enthusiasts."
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      10-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #313
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
Quote:

While this is a vocal forum, I doubt that it is anywhere as large or as valuable as we would like to think we are. I suspect that vocal Bimmerpost members represent far less than 1% of BMW buyers in the US, let alone world-wide, and probably less than 2-3%% of BMW "enthusiasts."
Reasonable thinking. I like it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 12:09 PM   #314
Bimmermanforlife
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW m340i

That's right - I'm a sucker!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Puma have BMW, Mercedes and Ferrari-branded footgear for more than 5 years. I used to have several pairs and they were so nice that other BMW drivers kept asking for where I got them so they can get a pair. This is no poser joke, this marketing works.
Guess what, everyone?? I'm one of the suckers who pre-ordered this hideous beast on Friday! And guess what else? I've owned BMWs for 12 years straight and I'm not buying this one for its 0 to 60, but I did buy the other three for that reason.

I am buying this one for the reason above that Encanto points out: this is about a new segment and target market for BMW.

You don't like it? Buy a "regular" G82. You like it? Get in line behind me and the other fortunate 149!!
Appreciate 4
      10-27-2020, 12:33 PM   #315
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmermanforlife View Post
Guess what, everyone?? I'm one of the suckers who pre-ordered this hideous beast on Friday! And guess what else? I've owned BMWs for 12 years straight and I'm not buying this one for its 0 to 60, but I did buy the other three for that reason.

I am buying this one for the reason above that Encanto points out: this is about a new segment and target market for BMW.

You don't like it? Buy a "regular" G82. You like it? Get in line behind me and the other fortunate 149!!
I am confused, you have been buying BMWs for 12 years but at the same time you are also in their 'new target market?' Great first post by the way.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #316
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Ever pull over any of the mods? Anyone you know?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 12:45 PM   #317
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmermanforlife View Post

I am confused, you have been buying BMWs for 12 years but at the same time you are also in their 'new target market?' Great first post by the way.
He could be if he has changed with the times rather than remained rooted in the past; the latter isn't necessarily a bad thing. Some people resist change and are more inflexible than others. Some people hate polymer framed pistols and lament the 1911 as the end all, be all. Some people still prefer physical media over internet streaming. Etc. etc.

Quote:
Quote:
Ever pull over any of the mods? Anyone you know?
No. I've never pulled over any mods. I've seen members from this forum driving around though.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 12:57 PM   #318
Bimmermanforlife
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
Thank you very much, f80er. Yes, I've been buying them for a dozen years, and I'm not sure if I, myself, am their new target market. I'm a Gen Xer, so their target mkt is likely Gen Y or millennials.

Another member mentioned how people interested in this G82 iteration likely have other cars/daily drivers. That's my case. This one's going to adorn my garage or, potentially, Hudson Stables, for a couple years, maybe more.

From a marketing perspective, I think this BMW is close to pure genius. Though the response on Bimmerpost has been mixed at best, the less hardcore but, admittedly, flashier among us will have a different say, imo.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      10-27-2020, 01:36 PM   #319
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
He could be if he has changed with the times rather than remained rooted in the past; the latter isn't necessarily a bad thing. Some people resist change and are more inflexible than others. Some people hate polymer framed pistols and lament the 1911 as the end all, be all. Some people still prefer physical media over internet streaming. Etc. etc.
or Charlize Theron over Khloe Kardashian.

G8X gains 400 lbs. and a bad boob job. It's not some evolutionary product, that's why BMW isn't promoting it as such.

Nothing against guys who like what the G8X is about, or even this Kith edition. Acting like the rest of us are running around with muskets and minidisc players is a bit of a stretch.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 03:07 PM   #320
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
Quote:

I think the argument stops when one side thinks that out of 500,000 registered members and 2.5M visits per month, only 3,200 are BMW Buyers (1% of yearly BMW sales).

Do you think BMW and all the sponsored vendors here are fighting over just 3,000 potential customers?

Even if only 5% of Bimmerpost registered members actually owned BMWs and the 95% are non-BMW owners, that's already $1B in buying power at an average of $40,000 per vehicle. And I highly doubt only 5% of Bimmerpost members actually own BMW and the rest don't. That number is possibly much higher and this also excludes frequent lurkers that are not registered members.
      10-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #321
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
I think the argument stops when one side thinks that out of 500,000 registered members and 2.5M visits per month, only 3,200 are BMW Buyers (1% of yearly BMW sales).

Do you think BMW and all the sponsored vendors here are fighting over just 3,000 potential customers?

Even if only 5% of Bimmerpost registered members actually owned BMWs and the 95% are non-BMW owners, that's already $1B in buying power at an average of $40,000 per vehicle. And I highly doubt only 5% of Bimmerpost members actually own BMW and the rest don't. That number is possibly much higher and this also excludes frequent lurkers that are not registered members.
Keep punching numbers into your calculator. In the end BMW is going to do BMW and not Penguino!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 04:34 PM   #322
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

I’ll stick by my estimate, especially considering that over 75% of US BMW buyers/lessors are buying overpriced SUVs, not sports cars.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Closed Thread