BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-19-2022, 08:31 AM   #1
ttcbj
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS 4.0

Will a G80 M3 Comp xDrive hold up on track in hot weather?

I am a beginner track driver looking for a track car that can also serve as a daily driver and family car. Does anyone have first-hand experience successfully driving a G80 M3 Comp xDrive for full 20 minute sessions in a hot climate (I am in the midwest, so 90+ and humid).

I am looking for a car with adaptive cruise (for my wife) and back seats for occasional use by children. I am 6'4". Many cars won't work for me:

Civic Type R - I fit, ACC, but it has bad overheating issues (FWD obviously)
Elantra N - I would probably fit, no ACC.
GR86 - Don't fit with helmet, only ACC with the automatic
Camaro SS 1LE - Don't fit with helmet, no ACC, great on cooling though.

I have been flopping around about this for over a year. I just can't find anything that quite fits my requirements. It would be easier if I could buy a cheaper/older track car, but I don't have garage space for 4 total cars. I am thinking maybe the G80 might fit all the requirements.

I do have a 2022 Boxster GTS 4.0, but I don't pass the broomstick test, and I'm not willing to give it up for backroads driving.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 09:05 AM   #2
astroricardo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx TR/Tartufo

I attended M Track days back in April. I was 90+ degrees F out. They have M3s, M4s, M5s, M8s, etc. The last thing the instructor tells everyone is that all these cars have been track driven for 8 hours straight, every day for weeks. They can handle it. Not sure I would be beating up my daily on the track every week though.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 09:25 AM   #3
astroricardo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx TR/Tartufo

Your real problem is going to be brake pad replacement if you don't get the CCBs, possible denying of warranty claims, denying of insurance claims if you have an accident, etc
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 10:15 AM   #4
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

These cars are 100% equipped for this right out of the factory. I took my F80 to the track near Houston a couple summers ago and the instructor was shocked how well the car took a beating without any mods.

Be confident with it, the M3 is a perfect daily/track beast right out the box.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #5
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

It will do great. Ability to take abuse on the track in stock form is what separates it from many other sports sedans.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 11:14 AM   #6
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

These cars have absolutely no overheating issues on a track. The exception would be if a mechanical problem were to develop. I have done 25 track days in the past year in Florida, and the temp needle has remained rock steady whether it's a cool or hot day. My usual day is 6 30min sessions, but I have stayed out for as long as 1hr 15 min. This is my max because I will literally be on fumes by then even though starting with a full tank.

Listen to astroricardo's advice. The track issue with these cars is brake pads. The OEM pads and most of the aftermarket ones are street pads and will not stand up to track use. If you want to go on track more than just a couple of times a year, then you will need to invest in track pads. There are now several offerings available, and much info and advice on the forum. Have fun.
      08-20-2022, 09:15 AM   #7
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Yes and if you are a beginner it's not an issue whatsoever. As you advance or if you are looking to track the car regularly, look into replacing the pads.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 06:54 PM   #8
ttcbj
Rep

Thanks so much for the responses. So often on a forum, a question yields an ambiguous answer. Not so here. The answer is a definitive yes, it will be fine. Thanks for that.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2022, 07:59 PM   #9
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

I drove an M3C (non-X) for several hours at the PC. Spartanburg in August is always hot. We drove hard laps, repeatedly, and without mercy on the tires or brakes. And then the instructor coached me to push it harder. The tires -- Continentals, btw, since they have a deal with the PC -- definitely got greasy by the end of the day, but the CCB's never faded or showed any hint of stress.

The car will keep its cool longer than you.
      08-21-2022, 09:40 AM   #10
ttcbj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
I drove an M3C (non-X) for several hours at the PC. Spartanburg in August is always hot. We drove hard laps, repeatedly, and without mercy on the tires or brakes. And then the instructor coached me to push it harder. The tires -- Continentals, btw, since they have a deal with the PC -- definitely got greasy by the end of the day, but the CCB's never faded or showed any hint of stress.

The car will keep its cool longer than you.
This comment helped me. I was looking for a way to drive an M3 on a track, and for some reason when searching on my phone had not found the BMW school (hard to believe, popped right up on my computer). I kept finding some traveling thing that is demoing an EV BMW. Anyway, this comment tipped me off that I should keep looking.

Here it is, in case anyone stumbles on this thread in the future:

https://bmwperformancecenter.com/mschool/onedaymschool

I will definitely do this. The Porsche Driving School is what led to my BGTS purchase.

When you went, did they have any cars with the carbon buckets?
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2022, 09:48 AM   #11
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcbj View Post
When you went, did they have any cars with the carbon buckets?
Yep, and they're brilliant on track
Attached Images

08-22-2022, 10:23 AM   #12
ttcbj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Yep, and they're brilliant on track
Awesome, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 06:12 PM   #13
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I'm a little late to this, but I'll share my experience as an intermediate driver.

I was a Spring Mountain in Nevada by Las Vegas this past summer and it was 98 degrees. Engine temp was great for me, although I was purposefully doing short sessions because it was an open track, so I wasn't restricted to 20 minute sessions. I'm on EBC Bluestuff brake pads and Castrol SRF high temp fluid, and they started to fade after 6 hard laps chasing my buddy's GT4. Spring Mountain is a fast track, hard on brakes, and the G80 is just a heavy beast. Then I remembered to remove the brake duct vents. Brakes were much happier after that. Unfortunately, I delaminated my front MPS4S* and it was my own fault. I didn't stay on top of my tire temps and pressures. I was running -3 degrees front camber and the outsides were still mauled due to excessive tire temps.

Went to ACS a few weeks later and it was 102 degrees. There are only 2 big braking zones, so brakes were fine. Engine oil temps were fine too.

The extra oil and transmission oil coolers in the Competition models are much appreciated, and by all accounts did a great job in moderate HPDE days.

I think advanced and competitive drivers will definitely want improved cooling, especially the brakes. The vented CSL hood should help too.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
CSBM52722.50
      08-30-2022, 04:13 PM   #14
Blk5er33
Private
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I'm a little late to this, but I'll share my experience as an intermediate driver.

I was a Spring Mountain in Nevada by Las Vegas this past summer and it was 98 degrees. Engine temp was great for me, although I was purposefully doing short sessions because it was an open track, so I wasn't restricted to 20 minute sessions. I'm on EBC Bluestuff brake pads and Castrol SRF high temp fluid, and they started to fade after 6 hard laps chasing my buddy's GT4. Spring Mountain is a fast track, hard on brakes, and the G80 is just a heavy beast. Then I remembered to remove the brake duct vents. Brakes were much happier after that. Unfortunately, I delaminated my front MPS4S* and it was my own fault. I didn't stay on top of my tire temps and pressures. I was running -3 degrees front camber and the outsides were still mauled due to excessive tire temps.

Went to ACS a few weeks later and it was 102 degrees. There are only 2 big braking zones, so brakes were fine. Engine oil temps were fine too.

The extra oil and transmission oil coolers in the Competition models are much appreciated, and by all accounts did a great job in moderate HPDE days.

I think advanced and competitive drivers will definitely want improved cooling, especially the brakes. The vented CSL hood should help too.
Very informative post - thank you. I just completed my first track day with my white 6MT M4 - got my ass kicked by a bunch of Mustangs and Miatas, but it was still a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to doing 3 more this year. I'm still running a fully stock setup. I'm not braking as hard as I should as I'm getting used to track driving. Do you think I can get away with leaving the OEM brake fluid and pads in the car for the rest of this season or should I put in some Castrol SRF now before the Fall track days. Also, how often you change out the EBC Bluestuff brake pads and can they be used for street driving?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 08:16 PM   #15
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk5er33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post

Very informative post - thank you. I just completed my first track day with my white 6MT M4 - got my ass kicked by a bunch of Mustangs and Miatas, but it was still a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to doing 3 more this year. I'm still running a fully stock setup. I'm not braking as hard as I should as I'm getting used to track driving. Do you think I can get away with leaving the OEM brake fluid and pads in the car for the rest of this season or should I put in some Castrol SRF now before the Fall track days. Also, how often you change out the EBC Bluestuff brake pads and can they be used for street driving?
3 more track days, and I would at least get the fluid just to be safe. Brake pads, just monitor them and get your cool down laps in, and you should be fine. I street drive my EBC's but I WFH so I only drive a few miles a week.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0