BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

11-16-2021, 04:33 PM   #155
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Can you show me an article where the reason why BMW even started putting xdrives in their vehicles was for inclement weather? I always thought it was for performance enhancement in ALL conditions. Then again my wife says I’m wrong all the time so there you go. Thank you.

PS- To David- you can do all those things he just talked about with the AWD G8X also because you can just turn AWD off anytime you want or turn it back on. So there’s that.
I certainly wouldn't dispute the performance advantages of the xdrive, which are clearly incontrovertible where the G80 (and indeed M340i for that matter) is concerned. But I would say that, while it's clearly not the engineers' motivation, the M3 Comp AWD's 'cross-country' adaptability or 'all year usability' have become leitmotifs in those reviews thus far of the xdrive model. Granted, I am speaking of the UK press, however, whose reporters are obviously more mindful than those from sunnier climates of the desirability of cars that can at least be marketed as wet-weather crusaders, even if the system is hardly designed solely with rubbish weather in mind..!

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 05:02 PM   #156
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
David, unless you

*have to take your new BMW out when it snows or when there's ice
*like to drive spiritedly in inclement weather (i.e. driving fast in the rain)
*are a preeminent stoplight racer, treating traffic lights like drag race light trees

...then you definitely don't need to purchase an AWD. The traction of the RWD platform is amazingly capable. With the Traction Control on, you'd have to be driving like a complete idiot to lose control of the car. And with the MDM on, it'll let you slide just enough to feel like a hero, and then it will bring you back in line. With so much torque, you have to be REALLY careful turning the TC off on public roads (hec, even on a track), because this car will break traction quickly with no electronic assistance.

The BMW engineers have done an amazing job with the RWD platform, giving you loads of confidence in most situations, without the nannies killing all the fun. Yes, it will kill some of the fun, if you simply stomp on it, or feed in too much throttle around a tight turn. But since the car has more than enough power, I haven't found the nannies intrusive enough to spoil my fun. This car is big, and it's heavy, so the laws of physics certainly apply...thus with the TC off, we have to be extremely careful. Of course with the AWD, you can likely turn the TC off in the dry, but again, you still have to respect its size and weight.

And if you get the 10-stage Traction Control, then you can dial in the exact amount of slip you're comfortable with. But really, this option is not necessary either, if you're penching pennies. The car is loads of fun right out of the box. I'd focus more on the appearance options you want, so always smile when you approach your car. None of the performance options are absolutely necessary.

Looking back, I didn't need the 10-stage TC (within the M Drive Professional option), nor the Parking Assistance Package (the Drive Recorder isn't great). Just save your money. Simply focus on the appearance options you want.
Can you show me an article where the reason why BMW even started putting xdrives in their vehicles was for inclement weather? I always thought it was for performance enhancement in ALL conditions. Then again my wife says I’m wrong all the time so there you go. Thank you.

PS- To David- you can do all those things he just talked about with the AWD G8X also because you can just turn AWD off anytime you want or turn it back on. So there’s that.
I read these threads and just crack up. AWD is for 1 thing only, performing!! It's been talked about before. All the high end super cars that are AWD are not doing it for inclement weather. Duh!!! 911 AWD turbo. Yeah, let's put some snow tires on it so I can take it I work in the snow? Stop with all this BS about weather. If you bought RWD good for you. No need to talk shit on the AWD. No need to justify your purchase. But stop with the , I live were it rains all the time. AWD for me. If you drive your AWD car like an idiot in the rain, you will crash. If your going to tune the car which normally means you want to go fast, get AWD. No matter where the fuck you live. Rant over😘
Appreciate 2
kjx3203.00
Patton2502939.50
      11-16-2021, 05:36 PM   #157
element56
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 '22 M4XC '23 X3M40i

When I saw there was an AWD variant in the future I was prepared to wait. The whole thread can be summarized by saying... it all comes down to personal preference, stage of life, love/hate for technology, philosophical beliefs around driving and technique. I embrace technology as it is my profession. I think there are plenty of options in the RWD manual config out in the market. I have my own reasons for wanting AWD with all the options unlocked. I very much appreciate being able to read and do my own decision making for what works for me. I also appreciate having discussions on why others made their decisions. Where the world of forums gets very trying is when it turns into arguments about said decisions and how for XXXXXX reason JoeBob is wrong.

If you like something, who TF cares if someone else doesn't. Never worth arguing to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 05:48 PM   #158
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by element56 View Post
I think there are plenty of options in the RWD manual config out in the market.
Interesting. I find the 6MT RWD to be far more unique in the market then another Automatic AWD sedan. I think the CT4-VB...and the M3 are it?

Quote:
If you like something, who TF cares if someone else doesn't. Never worth arguing to me.
100%
      11-16-2021, 06:01 PM   #159
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

I think some of you are missing the point. I've already stated that if you're on the fence between RWD and AWD, just get the AWD, because it's a no-brainer for most because of its elevated performance.

But in David's case, he's trying to squeeze into a G8X, the cost matters. And I sincerely don't believe for some of us that an AWD is necessary to enjoy this car. Sure, it gives you more "performance", but the car is already high performance. I can attest that the RWD is likely enough for some of us, it certainly is for me.

And as I already said, if you do like pushing the limits, especially on the street...and like the fastest 0 to 60 times, and absolute fastest track times, then the AWD is a no-brainer. I was trying to give David some situations where one may actually miss having the AWD version. On a timed track? Maybe. Stoplight races? Yes, you'll miss having the AWD. In inclement weather? Maybe. If you're going to tune this car later to 700 hp, sure, then an AWD makes sense. My hunch is a lot of us don't fall into these categories.

So, for me, hec, I can't remember the last time I raced someone from a standstill. It's just not my thing.

And on challenging, back roads, the RWD's TC system is really, really good. The nannies do kick in to save you, but since I'm not on a timed course trying to squeeze every tenth of a second out of the car, I have never once thought to myself in the 12,000 miles I've driven this car (and many of those miles were spirited driving on twisty roads), I have never thought, "Man, I wish I had an AWD version, because then I could pull even faster through this turn." Hec, it's already thrilling enough, as I'm carrying more than enough speed through a turn on a public road...an astonishing amount, to be honest.

So, I stand by my advice that if cost is an issue, and you'd rather spend money on appearance items, then just get the RWD version and save some money. This does not mean that the AWD isn't superior in performance in every way to the RWD version, but for some of us that extra performance, it simply doesn't matter because it won't be missed (or it will be rarely missed).

Simply put, the RWD G8X has enough performance to satisfy many of us. But if you have to have the fastest, highest performing available G8X, then by all means, get the AWD. It's faster, and even safer in many circumstances (wet and dry alike). However, having pushed my G82 pretty damn hard already in 12,000 miles, I can truly say that the RWD is a satisfying performance machine in its own right. The BMW engineers nailed the dynamics of this chassis, right out of the box with the RWD version.

Last edited by KevinGS; 11-16-2021 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 5
DavidXJ664.50
amzbimmer299.50
frank70629.00
tom @ eas8224.00
      11-16-2021, 07:06 PM   #160
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

I want MT, so choices limited there
Appreciate 1
SintAFM208.00
      11-16-2021, 08:19 PM   #161
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
David, unless you

*have to take your new BMW out when it snows or when there's ice
*like to drive spiritedly in inclement weather (i.e. driving fast in the rain)
*are a preeminent stoplight racer, treating traffic lights like drag race light trees

...then you definitely don't need to purchase an AWD. The traction of the RWD platform is amazingly capable. With the Traction Control on, you'd have to be driving like a complete idiot to lose control of the car. And with the MDM on, it'll let you slide just enough to feel like a hero, and then it will bring you back in line. With so much torque, you have to be REALLY careful turning the TC off on public roads (hec, even on a track), because this car will break traction quickly with no electronic assistance.

The BMW engineers have done an amazing job with the RWD platform, giving you loads of confidence in most situations, without the nannies killing all the fun. Yes, it will kill some of the fun, if you simply stomp on it, or feed in too much throttle around a tight turn. But since the car has more than enough power, I haven't found the nannies intrusive enough to spoil my fun. This car is big, and it's heavy, so the laws of physics certainly apply...thus with the TC off, we have to be extremely careful. Of course with the AWD, you can likely turn the TC off in the dry, but again, you still have to respect its size and weight.

And if you get the 10-stage Traction Control, then you can dial in the exact amount of slip you're comfortable with. But really, this option is not necessary either, if you're penching pennies. The car is loads of fun right out of the box. I'd focus more on the appearance options you want, so always smile when you approach your car. None of the performance options are absolutely necessary.

Looking back, I didn't need the 10-stage TC (within the M Drive Professional option), nor the Parking Assistance Package (the Drive Recorder isn't great). Just save your money. Simply focus on the appearance options you want.
You know, this is why I so genuinely value this forum--because you can solicit and gratefully receive generous and informed advice like this! Thank you, Kevin. I really appreciate it. And you confirm pretty much all my own inklings about this decision. My modus op as a driver is basically enjoying the exhaust note, feeling the poise through sweeping bends, and taking pleasure in manoeuvrability and nimbleness (which the G20 already has in abundance) along twisty backroads, whenever parenthood and profession give me the chance--rather than seeking out the extreme edge of grip (and physics) by twitching the TC off. I don't imagine pressing the car to its outer limits or performing self-gratifying drifts around a damp track either!

And you're right: the appearance options feel like more of an appropriate focus, in my case. Which is why I was eyeing the admittedly expensive but rather flattering Carbon Exterior Styling option, since it really transforms the front end and complements the complexion of a Tanzanite G80 (TBII already being the colour of my 40i, but I just can't get over how good it looks, despite it being a predictable pain to keep clean).

Anyway, thanks again for the reassurances about what's pragmatically sensible here re. RWD vs xdrive.

D
I ordered the RWD comp and was on a budget of 80k. I'm keeping the car for a extended time and won't be modding or tracking the car so didn't see a need for AWD. Don't get me wrong, I see the value in it but I have other cars for winter duty. My car price came in at 79,795 with Dravit Grey, Exec, laser, shadow line and carbon interior package. Park assistant and ventilated seats were not important to me. If you are not driving like a hooligan on the streets and not trying to beat everyone from a stoplight, RWD should be sufficient.
Not trying to get in a passing match but a lot of these guys on here are fanatics and speed chasers and that's ok. No need to prove who's got the biggest jank in the room to validate yourself.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ664.50
      11-16-2021, 08:25 PM   #162
maverick618
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 6MT

As far as 6MT options go in the tier of the M3, there are very very few.

Has anyone driven the new RWD M3 in winter conditions yet? Im considering the M3 as an upgrade from my BRZ, but it would be with the intention of daily driving and 4-5 months of the year here are winter conditions. I've driven loads in the snow with RWD cars, but nothing with the power of an M3. Generally, with the right tires and cautious driving, even the worst noreaster hasnt caused me any issues. Would love to get some feedback from experienced winter drivers.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 08:30 PM   #163
BMWF90M5
Private
Rep
Drives: Jeep Trackhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick618 View Post
As far as 6MT options go in the tier of the M3, there are very very few.

Has anyone driven the new RWD M3 in winter conditions yet? Im considering the M3 as an upgrade from my BRZ, but it would be with the intention of daily driving and 4-5 months of the year here are winter conditions. I've driven loads in the snow with RWD cars, but nothing with the power of an M3. Generally, with the right tires and cautious driving, even the worst noreaster hasnt caused me any issues. Would love to get some feedback from experienced winter drivers.
I mean, just don't mash the gas and you should be fine with winter tires.
Appreciate 1
KevinGS3360.50
      11-16-2021, 08:34 PM   #164
BMWF90M5
Private
Rep
Drives: Jeep Trackhawk

My 2cents. My F80 couldnt hook up at all, I assume traction management isnt that much better from some videos i've seen on the G80. Depending on what you plan to use the car for should obviously drive your decision.

If its going to be your daily driver, and will do stop light racing, then go for the AWD. If you plan to just cruise take some corners and want to row gears go with the RWD+ Manual. RWD+Auto IMO is really only for high speed roll racing.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 08:38 PM   #165
maverick618
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achievement Tracker View Post
That's what I figured. And the performance gains of the AWD are something I would never really take advantage of, plus I would prefer to have the manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 09:11 PM   #166
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achievement Tracker View Post
I agree.

But if you plan to drive in icy and snowy conditions, I'd get the AWD, for the added traction. It's not absolutely necessary, but I think it would be worth it over time.

But whatever you decide, winter tires are a must.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 09:17 PM   #167
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
5 out of 5 M3s currently in transit to my dealership are AWD.

7 out of 8 M4s currently in transit to my dealership are AWD.

Aside from what has been hashed out many times on this thread conclusively, this tells you what you need to know about what people really think about the RWD M cars.
Automatic and AWD I thought that would make everyone sad
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 06:35 AM   #168
emix84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911; Mustang GT; RR Sport

More reviews are out, I found this one to present exactly what I was interested in.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/g80...tter-with-awd/

Quote:
The base 4WD mode is, as you’d probably expect, pretty neutral. But not to the point where the M3 feels like some Audi RS products, where a dash of understeer lies in wait once the supply of traction runs dry. It feels pointier than that, but you are missing out if you don’t switch to 4WD Sport.

On the road, this is best combined with MDM. This allows for plenty of slip at the rear, making the M3 xDrive behave just like an M car should. Even with the extra security blanket of those front prop shafts, this is still a car that demands attention and respect - get greedy with the throttle, and it will want to move around.

2WD mode was briefly sampled, but after getting used to the way the M3 xDrive blends impressive traction with an entertaining rear-led driving attitude, it feels like a retrograde step. The car is more than feisty enough in 4WD Sport with the ESC turned off entirely, to the point where I’d say the M3 xDrive would as good as offer the best of both worlds even if there was no 2WD mode. It’s a nice option to have, though, even if I can’t imagine many buyers bothering with it all that often.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 04:59 PM   #169
SintAFM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
I want MT, so choices limited there
Yep. I would have sprung for AWD Comp if it was possible to spec with a 6 speed though
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 11:17 PM   #170
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
I think there are plenty of options in the RWD manual config out in the market.
Lol! Really? Start naming them, there's like 15 cars total and most are crapboxes.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 03:21 AM   #171
Mar48
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp xDrive - Atlantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_bmw View Post
I personally think it's a false sense of security and may even contribute to dangerous situations. I live in Minneapolis, and without fail every year I see more 4x4's in the ditch than any other type of car. Winter tires are exponentially more important than AWD vs RWD for safety.
100% true tires are more important. RWD with winter tires can ALMOST feel like AWD…. However, put winter tires on both and it’s still AWD that wins for getting traction (coming from someone who has owned both an AWD and RWD car at the same time in MN for the last ~10 years)

Also, having lived in said MN all my life you could do this experiment, put 50lbs of bricks on a sled and push it in the snow… now pull it. Guarantee you have an easier time/less slippage when you pull.

Over confidence is separate issue. Initial and lasting grip is surely better with AWD in the snow, it’s physics.

Past: F80 M3/Z4MR/E46 M3/Z4MC/Z3MR/335Xi
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3399.00
      11-18-2021, 09:06 AM   #172
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar48 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_bmw View Post
I personally think it's a false sense of security and may even contribute to dangerous situations. I live in Minneapolis, and without fail every year I see more 4x4's in the ditch than any other type of car. Winter tires are exponentially more important than AWD vs RWD for safety.
100% true tires are more important. RWD with winter tires can ALMOST feel like AWD…. However, put winter tires on both and it’s still AWD that wins for getting traction (coming from someone who has owned both an AWD and RWD car at the same time in MN for the last ~10 years)

Also, having lived in said MN all my life you could do this experiment, put 50lbs of bricks on a sled and push it in the snow… now pull it. Guarantee you have an easier time/less slippage when you pull.

Over confidence is separate issue. Initial and lasting grip is surely better with AWD in the snow, it’s physics.
Bottom line AWD has more traction all things being equal.

The benefit/value for AWD is about use case.

If you drive your M like the intended use of Toyota Camry and you live in a climate that never drops temps below 32 Fahrenheit then it's an absolute waste.

If you are someone who's always on a qualifying lap for first spot on the grid then absolutely AWD.

My use case is RWD.

I drive like a human in bad weather and I always have the appropriate tires for the weather.

I've been running Continental DWS 06 on my F80 in Connecticut last 4 years. ZERO issues rain/sleet/light snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 05:11 PM   #173
4DRS55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GTF80,718GT4,TVG80,G05X5

Nice Video of AWD on Track

Appreciate 1
2011ninja3399.00
      11-25-2021, 10:30 PM   #174
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

There's literally no reason for bmw to have even made the m3/4c not in x spec tbh.

M1 stoplight kill mode.

M2 2wd mode traction down to 3.

Only reason I'm not getting one is because I've already dumped 10's of thousands into my rwd m4c.

It's honestly bmw god mode in x spec.

I really think this thing is already too fast for public roads so I'm not too pressed about getting to spend less time on throttle.

But I am a bit bummed my car is basically the dumbest version😂
Appreciate 1
Gfit2716.00
      12-03-2021, 06:46 PM   #175
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Reading through this thread, I'm not getting a really strong reason to keep my RWD allocation. I live in Cali so I didn't see a need for AWD. But besides the additional cost, I don't see much downside to it. I thought I didn't want the additional weight of AWD, but if it's not noticeable to high level drivers, it's certainly not going to be noticeable to me. I thought RWD was more pure and would be better for learning to drive on track, but that doesn't seem to be the case either. So I guess I will drop my order and get an LCI AWD G80 later.
Appreciate 2
Gfit2716.00
4DRS551254.50
      12-04-2021, 07:23 PM   #176
M5M3911lover
Rep
Drives: M5- M3- Panamera

I have an F90 M5 and just ordered the MT G80. I love the m5 as it can smoke pretty much most cars on the Road. However,I hardly ever get to use all that power and speed on public roads. We buy these cars to have fun so MT is the way to go. It’s not all about zero to 60 otherwise we can all get the Tesla and call it a day. GET THE MT before it’s too late….
Appreciate 0