BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-04-2024, 11:09 AM   #1
GolfCoyote
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Weird rubbing/grinding noise

Was going home from work yesterday heading out of the parking lot and ran something over, or atleast it sounded like I did. Didn’t see anything in the road ahead or behind me so just assumed it was a rock or something (it’s one of those parking lots that looks like hand grendes went off all over it). Later on my drive home I notice a faint intermittent whirring noise when coming to a stop, it sounds cyclical almost so I assumed it was maybe a rock stuck somewhere in the brake assembly.

The weird part is now whenever I make a right turn it makes a rubbing/grinding noise almost like dust shield touching rotor. Also seems to only be coming from the drivers front wheel well. I looked around with a flashlight last night and didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary, nothing dragging, no obvious signs of damage.

I’m going to jack the car up, take the wheel off and look around later today. Anyone have any insight or suggestions on what to check for? Xdrive car, only “mod” in that area is a 12mm spacer that’s been on the car since 200 miles without issue. No im not rubbing on the fender liner, I installed the R44 fender liner vents when I did the spacers.
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM   #2
jyoung
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition X

I've experienced something similar but it's more like a light clicking/ticking noise coming from the front left (driver side).

A couple google searches previously told me that apparently this is normal given how the suspension is designed especially if the car is lowered. There's also a TSB out for this noise too with no instructed fix from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 10:55 PM   #3
GolfCoyote
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
I've experienced something similar but it's more like a light clicking/ticking noise coming from the front left (driver side).

A couple google searches previously told me that apparently this is normal given how the suspension is designed especially if the car is lowered. There's also a TSB out for this noise too with no instructed fix from BMW.
Ya I’ve heard people complain about that. This is different, or it was. Took it out for a drive earlier and the sound is gone. I’m assuming a small rock got stuck between the dust shield and the rotor or something.