BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

02-06-2022, 12:00 AM   #111
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
What about an Alfa Quadrafoglio??!

Despite being a design that came out at the same time as the F80, it still beat the G80 in some test reviews.

It's a stunningly beautiful car also!

They can be had for under $60k but their reliability has been somewhat patchy so I would say an extended warranty would be advisable
Barry, that is indeed a beautiful car, and fabulous to drive (I've had the opportunity.
However, you may not be aware of how stunningly bad the reliability is. The owner who let me drive his, had it near the end of a two year lease, and it had been in the shop for almost four of those 24 months, total. All three of the major magazines had massive failures in the one year, long term tests. Twice the engine failed, and in another instance, electrical and drivetrain issues resulted in over $10k in warranty work. Car and Driver actually removed it from their Ten Best list because they said it was simply not reliable enough to own.

I really wish it was otherwise, or I would buy one in an instant. But the horror stories from owners are everywhere. A while back, when I inquired in an Alfa forum about the car, here is what I received from the forum moderator: "Almost 40% of the owners here have had their Alfa Giulia Quads break down and require very serious repairs, engine, electrical, you name it. Some of which have never fully been resolved. While we all loved these cars, "when" they work, they simply aren't usable for anything resembling regular transport. Alfa had an incredible car and simply missed critical mechanical design elements left and right. It's a terrible shame. Look at other options for a car and stay away from these."
Appreciate 1
barryc3651956.00
      02-06-2022, 05:38 AM   #112
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO-BMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK__LA View Post
"It will be the last truly worthwhile car I will be able to afford given having been forced into early retirement, and a number of other things. In talking to my finance people again this morning I was again strongly advised to utilize the money that I have, in hand, from the sale of my previous sports car, to purchase whatever I decide to, with cash. They are much more concerned about limiting my monthly spend in the years ahead, so no car payments are a must. "

Can you even truly call them "finance people" if they have given you such awful advice lol.

Why would you ever drop 65k in cash which is large capital , as a retiree on a liability.
Instead , grab the low APR loan. Make those payments easily and invest that large sum to make your loan payments 3 times over for the next 8 years.
( granted it's assumed you have cash flow or cash to make the payments in the meantime )

8 years from now your 65k car investment will be worth jack , but any blue chip stock will surely net you 3x gains at minimum.

But what do I know , I'm not a finance person :
I appreciate the fact that you are offering what might otherwise be good basic financial thinking. However, you don't know my situation and its specifics. I can assure you that my financial people are among the best available. I am one of their least well to do clients. They tend to mange much higher level finances. There are also some rather complex reasons why I should be divesting myself of this money. I'm not about to disclose much in the way of personal information, obviously, but I could not choose to invest the $65k, those funds are the only means of a down payment, and actually making the monthly payments that would come with purchasing a new G82.
Your finance people are helping you pick a car?

Get rid of them asap!!!!!!!

Especially if they okayed a $65K car as you are forced into retirement
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 11:38 PM   #113
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post

No, they are hardly helping me pick a car!

This is no simple financial situation and no one but they and I know the facts. And I "was" forced into early retirement. Past tense. Four years ago. I do appreciate the fact that you seem able to comment on and provide financial advice to complete strangers who you have no information on though. That's truly a gift!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 11:49 PM   #114
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks again to everyone who has provided information and your many useful suggestions at my options. I truly appreciate everyone contributions. All of this has been of distinct benefit in making my decisions on what my best possibilities and options are, going forward.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 07:37 AM   #115
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO-BMW View Post
Quote:

No, they are hardly helping me pick a car!

This is no simple financial situation and no one but they and I know the facts. And I "was" forced into early retirement. Past tense. Four years ago. I do appreciate the fact that you seem able to comment on and provide financial advice to complete strangers who you have no information on though. That's truly a gift!
So what did you end up deciding on?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 11:27 PM   #116
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So what did you end up deciding on?
Still pondering options. Nothing has really jumped out as the ideal way to go just yet. And a couple cars I thought would fall into the range I can afford have recently skyrocketed in price.

A old friend, who moved to New Mexico last year, is strongly recommending I buy a low mileage, near mint 2012-2015 Jaguar XKR. Apparently after all of the Ford money had been pumped in, that and the XK were actually reliable. And 510hp, excellent handling, and a Jaguar bespoke leather interior or not things easy to overlook. Not to mention I've always thought the design was beautiful. I had simply assumed that they were crap for reliability like virtually every other car produced by Jaguar that came before.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3399.00
      02-15-2022, 11:29 PM   #117
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

But it's certainly no done deal that I go in that direction. Still much to consider.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 12:01 AM   #118
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

I've discovered that I can actually use an executive friends GM discount to buy a CT4-V Blackwing if I decided I wanted one. And the discount would be from list price, which very few dealers are selling these cars at. I know the reviews have been more than exceptional, but without being able to drive one, it would be very hard to pull the trigger on a purchase. Granted, I don't think I could lose money on it if I decided to go in another direction after driving it for a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 01:07 PM   #119
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Decided that I just can't trust an American made car, long term, so the Caddy is out despite the excellent reviews. I'm now focused on a Jaguar F-Type R, 2016-2018 model. Absolutely beautiful car, and my research has clearly identified that this series of cars has been very reliable too. Shocking, I know, for Jaguar. Apparently, after the massive amount of funding that Ford poured in, then combined with hugely upgraded quality control and check points that Tata put in place, they simply got it all right with these cars.
Appreciate 0