BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-27-2024, 07:06 PM   #221
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 6MT BG/FR

My mechanic is also a buddy. He hooked me up on labor.

But I’m stubborn, so I kept the performance plate basically to prove it doesn’t work.

When you say you hated it, did it act the same as my description above?
Appreciate 1
RACE M3548.50
      02-27-2024, 08:18 PM   #222
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02 S2k, 04 Rx8, 22 M3P, 23 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce_bukkake View Post
My mechanic is also a buddy. He hooked me up on labor.

But I’m stubborn, so I kept the performance plate basically to prove it doesn’t work.

When you say you hated it, did it act the same as my description above?
That's good! Every time you post the trans is coming out, my wallet hurts for you.

Nothing as bad as yours; the discs were definitely dragging at first. The Engagement was basically right off the floor for the first 100 miles. The car stunk the first two weeks I had it. I was convinced there was an issue until I learned how sac clutches break in. It was drivable; just embarrassing.

By 500-700 miles the pedal was back to normal height, but any aggressive driving that wasn't flawless resulted in a smelly car. It wasn't until 1200-1500 miles run it hard didn't create some real heat without it smelling.

I'm going to bleed the clutch when I do plugs. I'm also going to check the linkage and see if it needs any grease. I had it installed around 16k and currently have 22-23k. It's working now, but I feel like it's not fully disengaging when I clutch in. I really have to shift it perfect or it's a little notchy. First gear isn't always butter. I feel a little notch before it falls into gear. I've adjusted my driving to give a little blimp engaging first.

All in all my .02 for others considering a clutch.

If you plan on getting an ecu tune; change the clutch. It's not worth doing with a jb4 since we have a low fuel ceiling. You'll knock off about 1/2 sec 60-130 before maxing out fuel trims. You can get 3/4 sec off in perfect conditions tweaking map 6 for the rare 50deg fl days.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 08:28 PM   #223
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACE M3 View Post
That's good! Every time you post the trans is coming out, my wallet hurts for you.

Nothing as bad as yours; the discs were definitely dragging at first. The Engagement was basically right off the floor for the first 100 miles. The car stunk the first two weeks I had it. I was convinced there was an issue until I learned how sac clutches break in. It was drivable; just embarrassing.

By 500-700 miles the pedal was back to normal height, but any aggressive driving that wasn't flawless resulted in a smelly car. It wasn't until 1200-1500 miles run it hard didn't create some real heat without it smelling.

I'm going to bleed the clutch when I do plugs. I'm also going to check the linkage and see if it needs any grease. I had it installed around 16k and currently have 22-23k. It's working now, but I feel like it's not fully disengaging when I clutch in. I really have to shift it perfect or it's a little notchy. First gear isn't always butter. I feel a little notch before it falls into gear. I've adjusted my driving to give a little blimp engaging first.

If you plan on getting an ecu tune; change the clutch. It's not worth doing with a jb4 since we have a low fuel ceiling. You'll knock off about 1/2 sec 60-130 before maxing out fuel trims. You can get 3/4 sec off in perfect conditions tweaking map 6 for the rare 50deg fl days.
Yeah mine DEFINITELY isn’t disengaging. Zero shifting into first or reverse if you’re stopped with engine on. When I drove it home I had to turn the car off, shift, start, drive. Awful.

There’s no way I would drive this car 2k miles with how it feels. Etches forward as soon as I let off the brake. It’ll grind a gear here and there. No thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 08:44 PM   #224
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah mine DEFINITELY isn’t disengaging. Zero shifting into first or reverse if you’re stopped with engine on. When I drove it home I had to turn the car off, shift, start, drive. Awful.

There’s no way I would drive this car 2k miles with how it feels. Etches forward as soon as I let off the brake. It’ll grind a gear here and there. No thanks.

I definitely wouldn't or you'll end up needing new syncros or worse. I wouldn't even know where to go to have the trans rebuilt for these haha

So far two setups have been proven reliable.

The weakest setup, what I have or adding 1 aggressive disc. There's at least 5 of us confirmed running each setup. Besides you the only other issue I've seen was bad. The flywheel caused the engine to crank walk. They left him hanging. The center area that meets the engine wasn't fully milled. He was able to get the car warrantied and is enjoying it.

I think the stack height of the whole setup is wrong. The centerplate is too thick resulting in the low clutch pedal until the meat on the discs wear enough. If it was designed to last 40k miles; how many miles did I lose? Yours would have glazed or fallen apart before it started working from what you're describing.

I only have one other experience with a brand new aftermarket Bmw clutch. I upgraded the clutch in my f80 and the initial engagement wasn't as low. It drove like stock from day one; it was just less slip friendly as expected. I was also one of the first to change it in late 2015/early 2016. They just did more r&d.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 08:55 PM   #225
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I definitely wouldn't or you'll end up needing new syncros or worse. I wouldn't even know where to go to have the trans rebuilt for these haha

So far two setups have been proven reliable.

The weakest setup, what I have or adding 1 aggressive disc. There's at least 5 of us confirmed running each setup. Besides you the only other issue I've seen was bad. The flywheel caused the engine to crank walk. They left him hanging. The center area that meets the engine wasn't fully milled. He was able to get the car warrantied and is enjoying it.

I think the stack height of the whole setup is wrong. The centerplate is too thick resulting in the low clutch pedal until the meat on the discs wear enough. If it was designed to last 40k miles; how many miles did I lose? Yours would have glazed or fallen apart before it started working from what you're describing.

I only have one other experience with a brand new aftermarket Bmw clutch. I upgraded the clutch in my f80 and the initial engagement wasn't as low. It drove like stock from day one; it was just less slip friendly as expected. I was also one of the first to change it in late 2015/early 2016. They just did more r&d.

Im glad he hasn’t ghosted me yet, but im not too optimistic that he’ll send me a standard plate once I prove this performance plate setup is too short. Honestly, he needs a 3-way throw out bearing with a medium setting and it would work perfectly.

As for trans rebuilds, pure is working on builds. They just haven’t released info. I reached out through email a few months back and they said it’s coming down the pipe “soon.”
Appreciate 1
RACE M3548.50
      03-01-2024, 06:58 AM   #226
evidence
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

We see CM released a clutch pedal bushing and pin kit?

They seem to be blaming this for some of the problems their customers have been having https://clutchmasters.com/n-44-bmw-g...al-clutch.html
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2024, 08:55 AM   #227
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Wow - I wonder if that at pin upgrade would have any effect on the issues in this thread are experiencing.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 07:19 PM   #228
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Im glad he hasn’t ghosted me yet, but im not too optimistic that he’ll send me a standard plate once I prove this performance plate setup is too short. Honestly, he needs a 3-way throw out bearing with a medium setting and it would work perfectly.

As for trans rebuilds, pure is working on builds. They just haven’t released info. I reached out through email a few months back and they said it’s coming down the pipe “soon.”
I hope it works out for you in the end. You’ve earned a good time when this is done =(
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2024, 07:28 AM   #229
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I re-read your response. If your first is notching that bad it definitely sounds like yours isn’t fully disengaging either. And now I’m even more concerned that my replacement parts aren’t going to work.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 08:16 AM   #230
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I re-read your response. If your first is notching that bad it definitely sounds like yours isn’t fully disengaging either. And now I’m even more concerned that my replacement parts aren’t going to work.
It's odd that it comes and goes. Only first. The average drive time in my car is 2-4 hours. I use it as a work vehicle; It doesn't smell like clutch so I'm assuming it is. We'll see when I bleed it. I'm hoping for bubbles lol

If it dies I'll be going back to stock. I can live without my once a month e85 kick. It's not convenient for me to use it often.

Let's keep the cup half full for now! Fingers crossed for you!

Are you into moutainbikes by any chance? I travel to Anniston every couple months to ride cold water and the few other awesome trails in the Birmingham area.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2024, 12:39 PM   #231
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
I can't believe after over a year there still isn't a solution that just works or did I miss that?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 05:43 AM   #232
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It's odd that it comes and goes. Only first. The average drive time in my car is 2-4 hours. I use it as a work vehicle; It doesn't smell like clutch so I'm assuming it is. We'll see when I bleed it. I'm hoping for bubbles lol

If it dies I'll be going back to stock. I can live without my once a month e85 kick. It's not convenient for me to use it often.

Let's keep the cup half full for now! Fingers crossed for you!

Are you into moutainbikes by any chance? I travel to Anniston every couple months to ride cold water and the few other awesome trails in the Birmingham area.
My wife and I do actually have a couple of nice hardtails, It's just hard planning long trips with two young kids
Appreciate 1
RACE M3548.50
      03-12-2024, 05:44 AM   #233
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Replacement clutch arrived yesterday afternoon. Dropping the trans again at the end of the week so I'll keep everyone updated.
Appreciate 6
      03-13-2024, 07:33 PM   #234
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 09:22 PM   #235
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Well. I’m pulling this thing out of the car and going back to the oem clutch. I’m hoping it’s nothing major and just the TOB. Perhaps a little paranoia and it’s been doing this, but unlikely.

When I shift the car over 4k or clutch in and rev I feel a little vibration through the clutch pedal. I don’t recall it doing that in the past. I’m currently 1000 miles from home with the family and still smiling. Hopefully it lasts and the trip ends on a good note.

Buyer beware.. they work, but it seems like everyone has something minor going on. 5-6k miles on it, mostly highway miles. I don’t dog on the car; oem wheels came off at 18k miles and I could have gotten another 2-3k out of them easily.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 09:25 PM   #236
Nembus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
Well. I’m pulling this thing out of the car and going back to the oem clutch. I’m hoping it’s nothing major and just the TOB. Perhaps a little paranoia and it’s been doing this, but unlikely.

When I shift the car over 4k or clutch in and rev I feel a little vibration through the clutch pedal. I don’t recall it doing that in the past. I’m currently 1000 miles from home with the family and still smiling. Hopefully it lasts and the trip ends on a good note.

Buyer beware.. they work, but it seems like everyone has something minor going on. 5-6k miles on it, mostly highway miles. I don’t dog on the car; oem wheels came off at 18k miles and I could have gotten another 2-3k out of them easily.
Which clutch/flywheel combo you running?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 02:01 PM   #237
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nembus View Post
Which clutch/flywheel combo you running?
The weakest most drivable setup available.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 03:19 PM   #238
mattssi
Major
Rep

This thread makes me sad. I really want to push the HP, but a successful clutch upgrade seems like a futile effort. I wonder what hotsauce will have for an update.
      03-21-2024, 04:48 PM   #239
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post
This thread makes me sad. I really want to push the HP, but a successful clutch upgrade seems like a futile effort. I wonder what hotsauce will have for an update.
If it wasn’t my highway travel car I wouldn’t care and be willing to tinker with it. My typical drive is 500-1000 miles from home. I don’t want to carry my oem parts on every bike trip lol my wife dailies a Tesla and I rather pay for gas than drive that out of town. I can say more power made this car better; just faster. It’s fun even at the stock hp level with the manual transmission.
Appreciate 1
mattssi880.50
      03-25-2024, 12:26 PM   #240
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the silence. Trans is back out of the car. I wanted to show everyone this friction disc that came with the first set. Notice the manufacturer stamp hasn’t worn at all. This should’ve been gone in the first couple of engagements in my opinion. This leads me to believe it wasn’t making contact. Virtually no wear.

Maybe it was warped after all and this new set will work out just peachy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
RACE M3548.50
AhsanU3847.50
      03-25-2024, 02:29 PM   #241
mattssi
Major
Rep

Nice. GL
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 02:24 PM   #242
hotsauce_bukkake
Private First Class
Rep

Welp! My story has a happy ending!

Got it buttoned back together and, wow! I can shift into 1st gear with the engine running and the car at a stop!

Turns out I had a warped disc for sure. Currently the engagement point is super low, like everyone else has reported. So, I have faith the engagement WILL improve as I drive it.

Hopefully anyone that's been waiting to install theirs can breathe a little easier now that I've gone through the headache and the expense for you.
Appreciate 3