home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

02-10-2023, 10:27 AM   #1
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

New Product: AP Racing by Essex Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits!

Click here to see our various kits and pricing options for the G80/82

Hello Gents,

After a brief introduction, I'll get into the details of our Essex Designed AP Racing Competition Big Brake Kits for the G80/G82. I would like to use this thread as a technical discussion of our brake kits, so feel free to fire away with questions. We have been longtime forum sponsors and plan to be here for the foreseeable future.

Personal Background
My name is Jeff Ritter, and for the past fifteen years I have been the High Performance Division Mgr. at Essex Parts Services. Prior to that, I was the sales mgr. at StopTech for roughly 5 years and helped build that company when it was in its infancy. I've been autoXing/tracking cars since 1999, and my stable over the years includes or has included about 50 different sportscars: '98 Integra Type-R, '03 350Z, '03 Z06 Corvette, C6 Vette, many Miatas, '04 CTS-V, '05 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT, NA1 NSX, e90 335i, A6 3.0T…all sorts of stuff! I've also been participating in online automotive forums since roughly 1999. You can find my posts under the screen name jritt across a wide range of forums such as corvetteforum, ft86club, Rennlist, Audizine, etc. You can read my personal bio here. Chances are, there is someone on this forum who I've helped with brakes at one point or another over the past 20+ years I’ve been in this business.

I've also authored numerous articles about high performance brake systems. Hopefully you'll find them helpful. Here are few that have been especially popular:

Track and Racing Brake Pad Owner’s Guide

Do I need Brake Ducts on my Track Car?

Are Carbon Ceramic Brake Discs Better than Iron?

We also have lots of educational brake content our Essex Parts YouTube Channel.

Essex Parts Services Background
Essex Parts Services is located in Charlotte, NC and has been in business for roughly 40 years. We are the exclusive importer and distributor for a number of high-end, mainly European brands including: AP Racing Brakes, Ferodo Racing brake pads, Spiegler SS brake lines, Teknofibra thermal barriers, etc. You can learn more about us here. Historically our focus was purely on professional racing. My goal since joining the company has been to bring the technology from our professional racing experience into the aftermarket, making it available to the average enthusiast. Many of the exclusive products we sell have either been used in professional racing or contain numerous features that in the past have only been available at the higher echelon of racing.

Competition Big Brake Kit Background
Over the past decade we have developed a line of brake systems geared towards heavy track users. We call them our AP Racing by Essex Competition Big Brake Kits, and we currently have applications for a most of the popular racing/track day/AutoX/time trial cars: e36/e46/e9x/F80/F87 M2/M3/M4, STI, Evo, BRZ & FR-S, C5/C6/C7/8 Corvette, Gen.6 Camaro ZL1, 997/991/992 GT3/RS, 987/981/718 Boxster/Cayman, S2000, etc. Our systems are designed with the sole mission of making you go faster and use the latest racing technology to improve performance. They focus on ultra-low weight, extremely durable materials, and inexpensive and readily available spare parts (pads and discs).
Over the past decade we have equipped many thousands of satisfied racers with brake kits that solve their problems and help them squeeze more enjoyment out of their time at the track. You can read customer success stories from a wide array of vehicles on the Essex Blog. We have reviews ranging from Miata owners to GT2RS owners, to factory-backed race teams. We have thousands of our Competition Brake Kits to BMW owners. Our systems for the e9x M3 have been incredibly popular and our F87 M2 Kits are the gold standard by which any other brake system is measured.

AP Racing
Our brake systems are built around components by AP Racing, arguably the top performance brake manufacturer in the world. A few facts about AP Racing:
•AP Racing brake or clutch components have been on the winning car in every Formula 1 race since the Dutch GP of 1967 (they have now won close to 1,000 F1 races)!
•AP Racing is the exlclusive brake supplier/technical partner to many of the top racing series in the world including Aussie V8 Supercar, NASCAR Cup, etc.
•AP Racing Radi-CAL brakes can be found on many of the most successful endurance racing sportscars such as the Porsche GT3.R, GT3 RSR, Corvette C5R, C6R, C8 GT3
•Many of the factory BMW M racecars come with AP Racing Radi-CAL brakes as standard
•AP Racing is the original equipment provider for some of the highest-performing production cars in the world, from manufacturers like Pagani, McLaren, Lotus, Bugatti, Aston Martin, etc.

The G80 M3

BMW M cars have gotten progressively heavier and more powerful. Over the past twenty five years their curb weights have gone up 1,000 lbs. and some owners are running triple the horsepower with minor mods. As these cars become more massive and powerful, they place much greater demands on the brake sysem. BMW (and other OEMs) have addressed this issue by installing bigger and bigger calipers and discs on their vehicles. Unfortunately, the ever-increasing size spiral has some very clear downsides, with two of the major ones being unsprung weight and wheel fitment. Huge discs and calipers require huge wheels to fit over them. They also have interference issues with certain wheel spokes and even barrels, they collect rocks and track debris, gouging the calipers and/or the wheels. They’re crammed so tightly into wheels that they become difficult to cool. The wheels required to fit over them are heavy, as are the huge tires they’re wrapped in. Tire size and compound is oftentimes also severely limited, particularly if you want to run race rubber.

Vehicle manufacturers have tried to solve the unsprung weight issue by moving to alternative materials for discs such as carbon ceramic (which BTW is a completely different material vs. the carbon/carbon discs used in professional racing). Unfortunately, carbon ceramic disc materials still do not perform as well as iron discs when consistently run at track temperatures. Carbon ceramic discs oxidize and essentially burn from the inside out losing mass. Also, rather than using ultra-efficient cooling vanes, carbon ceramic discs rely more on radiation as a mechanism to shed heat. That’s why they are always so much bigger than their iron counterparts on the same vehicle. They have a more simplistic vane structure than a proper iron racing disc, and instead require a tall disc face to radiate heat…which then mandates huge, heavy brake pads to clamp them, and even bigger wheels to cover them. While carbon ceramic discs have gotten much better than they were on the early Porsche PCCB cars, we still have clients call us who have trashed them in only a couple weekends under certain track conditions. The replacement costs on carbon ceramic can be truly outrageous, and many of our customers simply set them aside for when it comes time to sell their car. You can read more about the pitfalls of carbon ceramic discs here.

So what is the alternative to going HUGE on your brakes? Efficiency. As they say, there’s more than one way to skin a cat. Rather than stuffing the biggest brake components possible inside a huge wheel, we rely on thermal efficiency and clever design to solve heat-related issues. The discs in our front system are heavy duty, AP Racing J-Hook racing discs in the 372x34mm size. These discs are derived from the same discs we're using in NASCAR Sprint Cup, ALMS, Grand Am, etc. Their metallurgy is incredibly stout, and they take an amazing amount of abuse. They have 72 cooling vanes and flow a ton of air. They are considerably lighter than the OEM G80 iron front discs, shaving approximately 6 lbs. per side vs. the OEM 380x36mm dual cast units, which also only have 30 cooling vanes. Our discs provide all the benefits of a larger diameter disc would, but because they are so optimized they offer lower rotational mass and a lower moment of inertia. Our F87 M2 Competition clients have been thrilled with our systems, which use the same 372x32mm discs we’re using on the G80. In their case, the OEM iron discs are even larger and heavier at 400x36mm! We also use these same 372x34mm discs on a wide variety of other heavy, powerful sportscars such as the C7 Corvette. We even have 1,000 HP C7 ZR1s running our 372mm systems successfully.

One of the greatest things about a setup like ours is that it doesn't kill wheel fitment. We recognize that most serious track junkies want to use the smallest, lightest wheel possible. We develop our systems with that firmly in mind. Our 372mm brake kits fit inside a huge range of 18” wheels. Rather than following the common industry trend at the time of using 380mm discs for our ‘large’ systems, we intentionally designed a 372mm diameter, explicitly for the purpose of fitting comfortably inside 18s.

Once we’ve determined the appropriate disc for the vehicle in question, we then mate it to an AP Racing Radi-CAL caliper with the proper piston sizes to maintain proper brake bias/balance. The AP Racing Radi-CAL turned the racing world on its ear when it was introduced back in the mid-2000s, and is the most technologically advanced brake caliper available today (at any price). You can learn more about the Radi-CAL design concept in the video below.

For our G80/82 front kits, we’re using the venerable AP Racing CP9660 or CP9668 Pro5000R in two different finishes, anodized and electroless nickel plated (ENP). The CP9660 is the narrow version, and the CP9668 is the wider version (which still fits behind the OEM 826M 19” wheels without a spacer. You can read about all the differences between the 9660 and CP9668 here. Our calipers solve problems like heat soak in the brake fluid (ventilated stainless steel pistons) and pad knockback (anti-knockback springs). Every race pad manufacturer makes all of their compounds in the pad shapes we use in our AP Racing calipers, and our calipers won’t have terrible caliper color changes under high heat (which painted and powder coat finishes do).

Our six piston AP Radi-CAL calipers weigh just over half what the OEM six piston calipers weigh! They’re also not nearly as tall, which helps tremendously with wheel fitment. From a convenience standpoint, the pads in our calipers can be changed by removing two hex head bolts, rather than removing the entire caliper, which is what must be done with the stock calipers due to their fixed bridge.

Rather than go extremely tall on the brake pad, our CP9668 calipers go wide. They leverage pads that are a full inch (25mm) thick.

Will they fit my wheels?
On our website we have downloadable wheel fitment templates for every kit. You print the template, attach it to cardboard or a manila folder, and place it inside the wheel in question as shown in the pic below.

CP9668 wheel fitment template

CP9660 wheel fitment template

What about the rear brakes?
Please note that our rear systems are currently in development, but one of our front systems is the perfect interim solution if you plan to pummel your brakes at the track this spring. The front brakes on these cars take the brunt of the abuse, and our front kits integrate seamlessly with the ABS system and the OEM rear brakes. If you've been waiting to make the leap to small, lightweight track wheels that won't be gouged by the factory calipers, now is the time.

Summary of Benefits

•They shave approximately 18 to 20 pounds of unsprung weight from your M3 or M4's front axle
•Allow you the option to run lightweight wheels as small as 18" (use our wheel templates here to confirm fitment: CP9668 caliper / CP9660 caliper).
•Dramatically increase your brake pad options. Radi-CAL calipers use some of the most common pad shapes on the market, and every pad manufacturer makes the shape in nearly all of their compounds
•Allow you to move to a 25mm (1 inch) thick pad while still fitting behind the OEM wheels. Our CP9668/372mm system features pads that are a full inch thick. No spacer is required behind OEM wheels, and as noted, you'll be able to stuff them behind many 18" wheels (depending on offset and spoke clearance).
•Even our wider CP9668 caliper package fits behind the OEM Style 826M 19" front wheels without a spacer
•Every component designed to resist the heat of extended track sessions
•Pistons sized properly to allow for seamless integration with OEM master cylinder and ABS system
•Designed to work with OEM rear brakes or any rear brake package we produce

I think that's it for now gents. Thanks for reading my novel and please let me know what questions you have.
Appreciate 9
jmg18726.50
Limegrntaln13518.00
tom @ eas8247.00
somer969.00
FTS387.50
skewzm342.50
      02-10-2023, 10:28 AM   #2
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

Reserved for more future info.
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2023, 11:23 AM   #3
docjavier
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 F10 535i

Great news,

I have AP Racing on my FOB 535i for over 4 years now (no track time with plenty of spirited driving dry and wet). I used StopTech on my E46 M3 (track and autocross), and I can attest of the superb braking capabilities of both brakes.

I knew that AP Racing was coming out with a set of brake for the G80 I would have order my M3CX with the regular brakes instead of the CCB and use the difference in price to buy this AP Racing option and have both options.

I do have a few questions;

Will AP Racing offer a replacement J hook disc for the CCB calipers?

What about pad choices?

Streat/track option for light track time and low dust?

What is the lead time on rear brake system, will it be single or double piston with integrated Ebrake?

Thanks
      02-10-2023, 01:26 PM   #4
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the kind words!

Quote:
I knew that AP Racing was coming out with a set of brake for the G80 I would have order my M3CX with the regular brakes instead of the CCB and use the difference in price to buy this AP Racing option and have both options.
This is what many of our clients do. They go with the cheaper OEM iron brake option and then swap our system in. Or, they go with carbon ceramics and just tuck them away on their garage shelf until they sell the car and move on to their next track car. Then when that time comes, they sell our kit on the used market for about 65-70% of what they paid for it, and they have a brand new set of factory brakes to install on the car for the next owner. The car also then doesn't look like it was thrashed.

Quote:
Will AP Racing offer a replacement J hook disc for the CCB calipers?
We need to get our hands on the OEM carbon ceramic discs to see if we have a viable option in our current arsenal. Shoot me a pm if you think you can help with that. We will make it worth your while! Generally speaking though, the major downside of replacing carbon ceramics with a direct iron replacement is unsprung weight. Since the OEM carbon ceramics have such a huge disc face to radiate heat, an iron version of them is typically very heavy. You also still face the wheel fitment dilemma since they're so big.

Quote:
What about pad choices?
Our front Radi-CAL brake kits have a huge range of pad choice from all major manufacturers. Everyone makes them in mild street pads all the way up to endurance pads. Ferodo, Hawk, PFC, Pagid, PMU, Endless, Carbotech, Cobalt, G-loc...you name it, they make it for our AP Racing CP9660 and CP9668 calipers.

The pads that we've found work best with our systems are the Ferodo DS line of pads (DS2500, DS1.11, DS3.12). We hold thousands of boxes of Ferodo pads in our warehouse, as we are Ferodo Racing's exclusive North American importer and distributor. Here's an article I wrote on choosing the appropriate compound:

Which Ferodo Brake Pad Compound is Right for Me?

Quote:
Street/track option for light track time and low dust?
The Ferodo DS2500 is arguably the most versatile brake pad on the market today. It has the good cold bite and low noise characteristics of a street pad, but has a much higher max operating temp than a typical street pad. It's tough to fade, but it will wear quickly if you get it near the top of its temp range. Please read the article above for more details. I would characterize the DS2500 as having moderate dust levels. Any low dust, 'ceramic' pad is going to have low dust, but is also likely going to feel terrible and not have a very high max temp. Metallic pads are better for heavy track use. Most of our hardcore track guys swap between Ferodo DS2500 and either 1.11 or 3.12 for the track. That's not a big deal since it's so easy to swap pads in our calipers. Below is an example. In this video I show how easy it is to swap pads in both of our front caliper options for the G80, the CP9660 and CP9668.

One of the unique aspects of the Ferodo DS line of pads, is that they all play nice together on the disc face. You can swap them in and out on the same discs, without having to scrape the discs clean, re-bed, etc. Many times when you swap between different brands or compounds, the differing pad materials mix together on the disc face in a nasty clump, which causes judder, vibration, etc. That almost never happens with the Ferodo DS line of pads.

Quote:
What is the lead time on rear brake system, will it be single or double piston with integrated Ebrake?
The Ebrake is the holdup for us right now, so I can't project any type of lead times. We're trying to sort that out. We just finished up our rear kit for the Tesla Model S Plaid, and came up with a solution that is working quite well. We're hopeful we can do something similar, but we're going to have to get a car back in and do some further experimentation and testing.

Thanks again for your support, and let us know how else we can help!
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2023, 03:28 PM   #5
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post
Daaaaamn those are extra thicccccc
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2023, 04:02 PM   #6
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
Daaaaamn those are extra thicccccc
That's what she said?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13518.00
      02-11-2023, 08:41 AM   #7
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Awesome post and information.

Have you done any tests vs oem in stopping performance?
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2023, 09:24 AM   #8
flsupraguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Can't wait till rears are available
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2023, 08:08 AM   #9
specialque
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3cs, 2018 McLaren 720S

I see you have a front kit, do you offer a rear kit as well?
2014 BMW X3 M-Sport Carbon Black/Mojave Brown - Beater
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 09:04 AM   #10
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Awesome post and information.
Thanks!

Quote:
Have you done any tests vs oem in stopping performance?
Before getting too deep into any discussion of testing, it's important that the term 'stopping performance' is first defined. The term, 'stopping power' is a similar term that is often loosely thrown around, but we need to be more specific. When many people ask about 'increased stopping power', what they actually mean is, "Will the car stop in a shorter distance than it would previously?"

When discussing overall brake performance, stopping distance is just one measure of performance. Other thing to consider are pad and disc temperature rise, length of brake pedal stroke, maintaining proper front-to-rear bias, response/activation time, mass reduction, cooling efficiency, etc. Subjective factors such as feel and modulation, controlability of ABS intervention, etc. also come into play.

The most fundamental point to make with regards to stopping distances is: Brakes don't stop your car, tires do. Brakes convert the energy of the spinning discs into heat. If you want your car to stop in a shorter distance, you need to increase the grip that the car has on the road surface, and the primary way to do that is via stickier tires.

All else held equal, a properly designed aftermarket brake system should stop a vehicle in a similar distance as the factory brakes on the first stop. Resistance to the heat generated by repeated stops is where aftermarket brake systems really come into play.

When we look at the 'stopping performance' of our system vs. an OEM system, our brake kits typically have gains/advantages in the numerous areas. Those areas are related to specific design elements of both the caliper and discs, as well component material choices. We really get down into the nitty gritty details throughout the entire process.

The fundamental issue with brakes on a track car is how effectively/efficiently can the brakes absorb and shed heat? A lot of the effectiveness hinges on the performance of the brake discs. Compared to OEM discs, more heat can be poured into our J Hook discs in a shorter period of time, without creating as much of a temperature rise. In other words, our discs are able to more efficiently absorb and shed the heat generated by repeated stops. This is accomplished by the number and shape of the internal vanes, careful consideration of the disc's dimensions such as air gap (space between disc faces) and disc face wall thickness, iron metallurgy, etc. This translates into the discs not getting as hot as an OEM disc under the same conditions (e.g. 15 stops per lap, multiplied by 10 laps).

Properly designed, directional internal cooling vanes push more cooling air through the discs, slowing their temperature rise. OEM discs usually have more primitive, non-directional cooling vanes. The vanes don't flow much air, or turbulence is created when the air hits them. A proper internal vane design also accommodate a higher flow of cooling air brought into the discs via brake ducts for example. When the discs run cooler, all brake components 'downstream' from the discs run cooler as well. If the discs don't get as hot, the pads clamping them won't get as hot, the metal pistons behind the pad backing plates won't get as hot, the fluid pushing the backside of the pistons won't get as hot, and the caliper body holding that fluid won't get as hot.

The disc hat mounting mechanism also impacts how much heat a disc can take before starts to create problems. Our mounting system allows for more float than the OEM dual-cast hat attachment method. In other words, the discs are free to get hotter and grow larger, without distortion. When the disc hat restrains the disc's growth, the disc cones, or the edges pull towards the center. A free-floating disc remains centered in the calipers better, which means they're less stressed, less prone to cracking, and more likely to provide even pad wear.

Having a high internal vane count also provides a strong foundational structure behind the disc face, creating a more even distribution of heat and less deformation. The pads tend to stick more evenly around the entire face of the discs when there aren't any hot spots or cool spots, which means less brake judder from uneven pad deposits. The J Hook slot pattern also leaves no substantial gaps on the disc face, which means it more evenly distributes heat throughout the disc face. Again, that helps prevent uneven pad deposits and judder.

The shape of the Radi-CAL calipers also allows for greater airflow and heat capacity (although stiffness with less mass is arguably their greatest benefit). All of the voids and gaps around and through the calipers provide more surface area in contact with cooling area, and more heat can escape the calipers via radiation. In other words, all those gaps provide more places for cooling air to touch the caliper and draw heat away.

Another area in which our systems have greater heat capacity is often the pads. Thicker pads provide a greater buffer and heat sink between the brake disc and the caliper pistons and brake fluid. This is especially true of our CP9668 kits with the full inch thick pads. The thicker pads can absorb, hold, and radiate more heat into the air than thinner pads. When they run cooler, they also burn slower, which means they last considerably longer.

Once you get past overall heat capacity, you get into material choices specifically chosen for heat rejection. Stainless steel pistons absorb and transfer heat much more slowly than aluminum. That means heat from the pads doesn't flow as quickly into your brake fluid, so you're less likely to experience brake fluid fade (soft pedal). Your fluid also doesn't get broken down as rapidly since it runs at lower temperatures, which means less need for bleeding. The pistons are also ventilated to allow air to flow inside them, behind the pad backing plate, again lowering temps. AP's iron disc material has been formulated across the span of over 50 years at the elite level of racing. It is designed to be crack-resistant with unique ingredients, unlike OEM disc materials which tend to focus on low cost as the primary goal.

We also see improvements in response vs. OEM brake equipment. AP's Radi-CALs are the stiffest calipers in the world, since they were produced explicitly to combat the dynamic forces acting upon a caliper during a brake event (read The AP Racing Radi-CAL Story for lots more details). That means there is less lag-time from the moment you press the brake pedal until the calipers squeeze the disc.

Tied to all the above are subjective improvements to the system such as feel and control. The stiffness of the calipers and increased responsiveness gives the driver greater control and feel for what is going on at the wheel ends. It's easier to modulate the pedal, feel when ABS is about to engage (or lock up a car without ABS), trail brake, etc. You have better control over the car, which is what the pro racers really rave over about the Radi-CAL.

Okay...I got a bit carried away on that post ...but I wanted there to be an understanding about what the objectives are with a race-spec brake system, and how we look at an OEM system and try to overcome its deficiencies.
Appreciate 2
RM73343.50
ATX_M3185.50
      02-13-2023, 10:19 AM   #11
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

We sometimes do specific testing for a chassis, and the results are typically very similar. If you look at our test data from the release of our Jeep JK Brake System in the link below, you'll see our gains in the areas described above.

https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog...ase-for-brakes

In this instance we showed great gains in stopping distances vs. the stock brakes, but that would be atypical for a vehicle like the M3. That was mainly because the Jeep's factory brakes were so terrible, and the giant wheels and tires further exacerbated the issue.

Running similar tests on our systems vs. the OEM M3 systems would show similar stopping distances for the first couple stops, and the hotter they got, the greater the gulf in performance. We've seen this on every system we've ever designed, and we're now at something like 190 different applications.

Again, if you want to see specific feedback on our past and current BMW brake kits, you can scan down our blog to stories from our customers about race wins, record/personal best laps, fantastic cost savings, huge convenience benefits...the list goes on.

https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 10:50 AM   #12
RM73
How Low Can You Go
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, M1000RR

Good post jritt@essex !

Brake performance is mainly about managing heat, when people say "pad X or disc Y brake are a lot stronger", what they are describing in most cases is perceived performance. More initial bite and/or stiffer pedal usually makes it feel like your braking harder, but do not affect overall performance if that makes sense. At least speaking about people who only drive their cars on the street, sometimes not even pushing that much.

Aftermarket brakes, in particular discs, can have other benefits though, as usually they will be lighter than stock applications and as such reduce unsprang mass. This will help performance, and might improve steering, and its something most people will not think about.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2023, 11:43 AM   #13
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
I was wondering when these would drop!
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2023, 01:08 PM   #14
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavyyyy View Post
I was wondering when these would drop!
Drop they have!
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13518.00
      02-13-2023, 01:10 PM   #15
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialque View Post
I see you have a front kit, do you offer a rear kit as well?
Our rear systems are currently in development, but one of our front systems is the perfect interim solution if you plan to pummel your brakes at the track this spring. The front brakes on these cars take the brunt of the abuse, and our front kits integrate seamlessly with the ABS system and the OEM rear brakes. If you've been waiting to make the leap to small, lightweight track wheels that won't be gouged by the factory calipers, now is the time.

The Ebrake is the holdup for us right now, so I can't project any type of lead times for a rear kit. We're trying to sort that out. We just finished up our rear kit for the Tesla Model S Plaid, and came up with a solution that is working quite well. We're hopeful we can do something similar, but we're going to have to get a car back in and do some further experimentation and testing.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13518.00
      02-14-2023, 10:44 AM   #16
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

A question for those of you interested in our system, with regards to the rear parking brake (which remains our biggest hang-up for producing a rear kit).

Would you still purchase our rear brake kit if it eliminated the parking brake?

For those of you with the Competition models which have the ZF auto transmission, I'm assuming you wouldn't care too much about the parking brake?

What about those of you with a manual transmission?

We've eliminated the parking brake on some of our systems in the past, and have had great success with those systems. Many of our clients view the parking brake as dead weight, and don't see much need for it anyway. If we add an additional parking brake caliper on either side of the car, that is going to add a considerable amount of weight.

Thoughts and opinions gents?

Thank you very much for your input!

Last edited by jritt@essex; 02-14-2023 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 08:47 AM   #17
ryanb06
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post
A question for those of you interested in our system, with regards to the rear parking brake (which remains our biggest hang-up for producing a rear kit).

Would you still purchase our rear brake kit if it eliminated the parking brake?

For those of you with the Competition models which have the ZF auto transmission, I'm assuming you wouldn't care too much about the parking brake?

What about those of you with a manual transmission?

We've eliminated the parking brake on some of our systems in the past, and have had great success with those systems. Many of our clients view the parking brake as dead weight, and don't see much need for it anyway. If we add an additional parking brake caliper on either side of the car, that is going to add a considerable amount of weight.

Thoughts and opinions gents?

Thank you very much for your input!
I am a 6MT and the G80 is my daily with some track use in the summer. The e-brake is useful in daily use and I use it often. That said, if the Essex kit kept the e-brake I would prefer that but if it didnt, it wouldnt be a deal breaker either.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2023, 10:34 AM   #18
flsupraguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

I still need ebrake as i daily the car
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2023, 01:06 PM   #19
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flsupraguy View Post
I still need ebrake as i daily the car
Oh come on...you show me the hills you'll be parking on in Florida!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 01:08 PM   #20
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

Also keep in mind, that if we add the ebrake that's going to raise the price about $1,500 for the rear kit due to the extra calipers required for implementation.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2023, 03:01 PM   #21
BrendanZ0402
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 GTP 6MT

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hey Jeff! Great seeing you here. Seen you on Rennlist all the time when I was stalking the GT3 forums LOL. Will the rear E-brake implementation similar to a Ferrari or a standalone caliper?
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2023, 03:29 PM   #22
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I use my e-brake 100% of the time. It doesn't matter if its a hill, or if the car is on jacks. It's part of parking, for me. E-brake, then into park. Im not letting the transmission and engine compression, hold a 4,000 pound car from rolling.

Appreciate 7
forcefed2567.00
Fugazii234.50
OwnerF16852.00
wavyyyy1045.50