Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

06-07-2021, 07:09 AM   #1
hsb100
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 MC Edition

Track Pads

Hi new M4 owner here and the plan is to track the car asap down here in Florida.

Any recommended pads available for front and rear? I can't seem to find much information on the caliper and what fits.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 11:12 AM   #2
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Welcome to the club. I will get the bad news out of the way first...there are no track oriented pads available at this time, so if you want to track your car soon you will have to use BMW OEM. These are available through BMW dealerships, however they are pricey (check around, big differences from place to place), and there is a long wait time as they will be coming from the factory (could be 5-7 weeks). BMW says that they will provide "Sport Pads" for these cars through their M Performance division, but they are not available yet. Pad manufacturers will start making track pads for these cars, but it will probably be many months before they become available on the market.

Front: 34-10-8-093-705
Rear: 34-20-8-093-728

These pads are made for BMW by Pagid, but they are street pads, and will wear out quickly on a track. Pagid does not list them on their web site. Pagid part #'s:

Front: PA4699GG
Rear: PA4392GG

I have ordered the OEM's to get me through the "dark days" but am looking into having track pads custom made by an after market track pad manufacturer. Several companies will do this. You send them your worn out pads, and they will manufacture the same backing plates with a track compound. They will then have the ability to make as many as they receive orders for in a timely manner. I have spoken with Porterfield, and will be sending them my current pads once my replacements arrive. Unfortunately they cannot provide any particulars until they see what they are dealing with, so at this point I am flying blind, and hoping for the best.
      06-07-2021, 12:52 PM   #3
hsb100
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info! I am reaching out to my Pagid importer contact for any help on the Yellows which are a good starter track pad.

Hoping to see more options soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 01:56 PM   #4
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

R44 performance in the UK seem to have EBC track pads on their car. Maybe they're just in development but worth checking out. I had spacers delivered by them to the US very quickly
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #5
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep

Several weeks ago while searching for any info I could find about pads for this car I found that EBC has them listed on their website, but no info about them, just the Part #'s. I contacted them and spoke to a rep who knew nothing about them at the time, but looked into it, and got back to me. He said that they were indeed planning to manufacture track pads for the G80/82 but that the expected release time frame is Q1 or Q2 of 2022. If R44 Performance is indeed using EBC pads then they must be developmental.
      06-13-2021, 03:00 PM   #6
M090
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 F10 M5 G05 X5

you can get endless, same fitment as f90 pad.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 09:30 PM   #7
Telly9987
Just a guy with a heavy foot
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by M090 View Post
Pn?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:51 PM   #8
M090
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly9987 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M090 View Post
Pn?
eip289
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2021, 12:40 PM   #9
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

I have a contact at Ferrodo who I can ask if/when they plan to produce a track pad for thr G8x. I have been intentionally delaying my upgrade from F80 to G80 until more wheels and pads are available. For those tracking, how are the brakes performing generally (ignoring the lack of appropriate pad compounds)? someone in another section thought that the rear brakes were actuating even with MDM and TC off. any truth?

Also, does swapping the front pads use the same procedure as on the F80? e.g.: 2 pins holding a spring loaded clip?

what about rear? does the caliper need to be removed? sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 12:52 PM   #10
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
I have a contact at Ferrodo who I can ask if/when they plan to produce a track pad for thr G8x. I have been intentionally delaying my upgrade from F80 to G80 until more wheels and pads are available. For those tracking, how are the brakes performing generally (ignoring the lack of appropriate pad compounds)? someone in another section thought that the rear brakes were actuating even with MDM and TC off. any truth?

Also, does swapping the front pads use the same procedure as on the F80? e.g.: 2 pins holding a spring loaded clip?

what about rear? does the caliper need to be removed? sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.
The brakes are excellent. I haven't been on track yet but those who have think they're very sufficient. I'd imagine with track pads and fluid they should be more than enough brakes for most track work
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 02:13 PM   #11
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Ferrodo DS2500's have been my go to pads on my former 2019 440i for the 2 1/2 years I owned and tracked it. Just looked back through my records, and I did 52 track days with that car which should tell you how much I like them. Only 3 track days of use, but perform like an anchor, never any fade, and quite as a mouse on the street. If I end up with pads of equal performance on my G82 I will be a happy man.

Currently I am not at all happy with the brake pad situation. No track oriented pads exist, and will not until someone (I am working on it) has an aftermarket manufacturer make track pads for these cars by sending them their worn out pads. There are several companies that will do this. Until then the only available source is BMW for their OEM street pads for these cars. I have had orders in for 5 weeks now, and have received front pads but not rears. In the meantime I have missed 3 track days that I would have otherwise attended. Sucks!

My 1 track day with this car showed me that the OEM pads perform well for street pads if you overlook the fact that they were done by the end of the day...2 1/2 hours of use. They exhibited only mild fade towards the end of a few sessions which was easily controllable. The car however has a strong rear brake bias which has also been experienced by others on this forum. This resulted in twice the wear on the rear pads as the front. Some folks have speculated that this is due to the TCS & MDM applying the rear brakes which of course will happen if they are left on. In my case however I turn everything off while on a track, and the result was the same so...

As for the pad swapping process, it is different from, and more labor intensive than the trusty old Brembo's of the F series era. Both the front and rear calipers need to be removed from the car, and then the halves separated to remove and replace the pads. Additionally, the pistons on the rear calipers can only be retracted and then reset by connecting and using a laptop. I have not tried this myself, and someone has claimed that they have found a way around the laptop thing, but who knows.

Personally I would rather have the added weight of a good old analog set of fixed Brembo's in the rear with a separate parking brake caliper and a handle to yank on, but I wasn't consulted. Sigh.
      06-18-2021, 01:18 PM   #12
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

Track Pads

thanks for the thoughtful insights. I am looking forward to a pad swap DIY video. there is conflicting info on whether a laptop is required for the rear.

my brake contact confirmed that Pagid and Hawk will be first in 1Q2022 followed by PFC and Ferodo last. love the ds11.1 btw.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 08:31 PM   #13
M090
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the thoughtful insights. I am looking forward to a pad swap DIY video. there is conflicting info on whether a laptop is required for the rear.

my brake contact confirmed that Pagid and Hawk will be first in 1Q2022 followed by PFC and Ferodo last. love the ds11.1 btw.
Parking brake will need to be put into service mode in order for the piston to be retracted properly
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 01:21 AM   #14
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Rear hand brake position can be retracted manually using a 9v battery directly on the motor, I find it to be the easiest and fastest method.

Just did it this way on my M340i to install some Porterfield R4-S
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 2
      06-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #15
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
I couldn't find any track pad options in time. For what it's worth, the standard brakes and pads did very well during my 3 day track weekend that had 100F temperatures all three days. There is a brake duct cover on both sides you should remove to keep the brakes cooler. Even with those covers on the first two days, I didn't have any issues with fading or a soft pedal.

On a track like Sebring or another where you need to do heavy braking repeatedly, you might have to resort to a cool down lap at some point during a session so YMMV.
      06-22-2021, 05:51 PM   #16
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
I couldn't find any track pad options in time. For what it's worth, the standard brakes and pads did very well during my 3 day track weekend that had 100F temperatures all three days. There is a brake duct cover on both sides you should remove to keep the brakes cooler. Even with those covers on the first two days, I didn't have any issues with fading or a soft pedal.

On a track like Sebring or another where you need to do heavy braking repeatedly, you might have to resort to a cool down lap at some point during a session so YMMV.
Did you ask Wendy @ Porterfield ?

I just asked her today for track pads that don't exist and she is checking to have custom ones made for me, price discussed is reasonable.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 05:43 AM   #17
hsb100
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post

Thanks, yes we are going with stock pads this weekend as its a 3 day event and will see how the wife likes the car. I will test the car on Friday at Sebring for a few runs although will go easy as the last thing I want to do is ruin the weekend for my wife in her new toy.

Pads I heard Pagid will have a set soon, hoping there are options before mid summer as this car will see the track monthly at least. Half Cage and harnesses going in next month also.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2021, 08:37 AM   #18
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Did you ask Wendy @ Porterfield ?

I just asked her today for track pads that don't exist and she is checking to have custom ones made for me, price discussed is reasonable.
No, never used Porterfield brakes. I prefer CarboTech which also custom makes pads, but I didn't want to be the very first person that would beta test these compounds on the new Ms.

I was hoping something else was already out that other people tested, but no luck finding it back in May.
      06-24-2021, 06:55 AM   #19
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

Track Pads

PFC is hoping to have pads ready to introduce at SEMA 2022 (Nov).

@hsb100 I'm excited to hear more about the upgrades and how the car does at the track. You are certainly one of the first to install a half cage and harness. What seats will you be using? And what's the plan for wheels and tires?

maybe this topic should reside in another location?

anyway, that's for beint a pioneer/guinea pig.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 08:05 AM   #20
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I finally received a couple of sets of rear pads last week, and had them installed by my shop (not dealer service) yesterday. I can report definitively that it is not necessary to use a laptop to retract the caliper piston when changing these pads. It is still more of a PITA than the good old Brembo's, but at least you do not have to go all high tech.

At first the tech tried using a laptop, but was not able to enter the menu to do so on the car. He called a friend over at the local dealership for help and was told that he would need the latest and greatest service software update from BMW for these cars. Rather than waste any more time he broke out a tool set for doing this job manually. I have seen a U Tube video somewhere on this forum where a guy uses this same tool to change pads on an X5. It really works. The car remembers the last position of the piston, and no code was thrown. Just button everything up, pump the brake pedal a few times, and your on your way. In my case that means Sebring next week, and it's about damn time!
      07-02-2021, 12:00 AM   #21
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
I finally received a couple of sets of rear pads last week, and had them installed by my shop (not dealer service) yesterday. I can report definitively that it is not necessary to use a laptop to retract the caliper piston when changing these pads. It is still more of a PITA than the good old Brembo's, but at least you do not have to go all high tech.

At first the tech tried using a laptop, but was not able to enter the menu to do so on the car. He called a friend over at the local dealership for help and was told that he would need the latest and greatest service software update from BMW for these cars. Rather than waste any more time he broke out a tool set for doing this job manually. I have seen a U Tube video somewhere on this forum where a guy uses this same tool to change pads on an X5. It really works. The car remembers the last position of the piston, and no code was thrown. Just button everything up, pump the brake pedal a few times, and your on your way. In my case that means Sebring next week, and it's about damn time!
Looking at my copy of ISTA+ that has g8x manuals they don't even say to connect a laptop. BMW has a special air powered piston compressor which is 200USD but seems to work well.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 08:33 AM   #22
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep

The manually operated tool is much less expensive (@ $50 at Harbor Freight & others). It is dirt simple to use, and might be the better choice for someone who will be changing their pads at the track.