Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by esrt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
BMW: *Pays Motorsport engineers to run 10k miles testing on the Nurburgring and fine tuning suspension*

Random customer: *ima '''upgrade''' that suspension the first week it's out with parts made by people who have had no access to the car and a very strict testing budget*

It's your car but you really just throw out all that testing the second you get the car? What do you hope to gain by doing that? A better lap time? How could even know if it's going to achieve that?

I really don't get how you could do that without a season of track time to decide what (if anything) needs fixed.
You said it best...it is my car... BMW sold a performance sedan that has to make compromises in some ways (it is not a pure focused track car). By releasing a M-Performance parts (e.g. suspension) are they not admitting there is more left on the table that they will sell to you for more??
On a race car the suspension would be changed every week depending on the specific conditions at the track.

So is bmw offering an 'upgrade' ? Well, they're calling it that, but what does that mean? Upgrade the car to do what better?

///Marketing. I'm sure it's better at some track somewhere, but I doubt it's anything but a side grade
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25016.50
      07-03-2021, 06:12 PM   #47
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
BMW: *Pays Motorsport engineers to run 10k miles testing on the Nurburgring and fine tuning suspension*

Random customer: *ima '''upgrade''' that suspension the first week it's out with parts made by people who have had no access to the car and a very strict testing budget*

It's your car but you really just throw out all that testing the second you get the car? What do you hope to gain by doing that? A better lap time? How could even know if it's going to achieve that?

I really don't get how you could do that without a season of track time to decide what (if anything) needs fixed.
You said it best...it is my car... BMW sold a performance sedan that has to make compromises in some ways (it is not a pure focused track car). By releasing a M-Performance parts (e.g. suspension) are they not admitting there is more left on the table that they will sell to you for more??
On a race car the suspension would be changed every week depending on the specific conditions at the track.

So is bmw offering an 'upgrade' ? Well, they're calling it that, but what does that mean? Upgrade the car to do what better?

///Marketing. I'm sure it's better at some track somewhere, but I doubt it's anything but a side grade
Well that applies to any manufacturer offering performance street cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 11:44 AM   #48
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well that applies to any manufacturer offering performance street cars.
Yes
Appreciate 0