BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

05-24-2021, 09:08 AM   #1
L0st
Rep
Drives: Ordered: 2021 BMW M3

New M3 comp smoking brakes?

Just got in my new m3c and drove some stop and go and interstate. I smelled a “hot smell” and when I stopped at a light I noticed my drivers side front brake was smoking (actually came through vents). I parked it at my house and it stopped. Is this normal with performance style brakes (I don’t have ceramics). The last sports car I had was a 2010 grand sport corvette and though I remember random hot smells during breakin I didn’t recall smoke. I will add that it was raining pretty hard during my driving.

Last edited by L0st; 05-24-2021 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 10:46 AM   #2
Telly9987
Just a guy with a heavy foot
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80

Brakes are common to burn/bed in on initial first drive BUT these cars are tested and driven at the factory as well as usually by the dealership for at least 1 mile. So heavy smoking of the rotor/caliper is an issue. I'd suggest calling your dealer. If it's not bled right or your having a piston stick in the caliper it can be rubbing on the rotor and causing wear/heat which is NO GOOD. Can boil fluid and or lock brakes.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:20 AM   #3
L0st
Rep
Drives: Ordered: 2021 BMW M3

Yeah it’s very odd. Typically I’m driving for around 10 minutes or so before I notice it. I drove around the block once it cooled down and it was fine. I let everything cool down and then drove it for about 20 minutes stop and go (not aggressive) and bam. I’ve also tried driving with brakes in comfort mode and same deal (just to check).
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:21 AM   #4
rideontwo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VaNOs

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0st View Post
Yeah it’s very odd. Typically I’m driving for around 10 minutes or so before I notice it. I drove around the block once it cooled down and it was fine. I let everything cool down and then drove it for about 20 minutes stop and go (not aggressive) and bam. I’ve also tried driving with brakes in comfort mode and same deal (just to check).
So this happened again?? Have you documented via video on your phone? Checked for leaks?

The thing is the cars are assembled via parts shipped from other manufacturers, in this case Brembo. It's not like a tech at the final assembly plant (BMW) is assembling the brakes. They grab the part and put it on the car. I'd take it to the dealer and have them take a thorough look, brake, braking components and fluid is not to be messed with. Your life is on the line, literally.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 12:12 AM   #5
Telly9987
Just a guy with a heavy foot
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80

Agreed. Im not sure who makes the calipers on the car.... Brembo, Nissin etc. Regardless I would strongly suggest the dealership. These are not billet brakes so is there is a malfunction with the casting or the piston seals you could be inn for trouble
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 12:26 AM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0st View Post
Just got in my new m3c and drove some stop and go and interstate. I smelled a “hot smell” and when I stopped at a light I noticed my drivers side front brake was smoking (actually came through vents). I parked it at my house and it stopped. Is this normal with performance style brakes (I don’t have ceramics). The last sports car I had was a 2010 grand sport corvette and though I remember random hot smells during breakin I didn’t recall smoke. I will add that it was raining pretty hard during my driving.
if you were braking hard and you got water in the brakes from the rain, it's not uncommon for the rotor to vaporize the water...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #7
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Is the rotor is hot (don't touch it!) compared to the other ones? Is it the caliper/brake pad area that's hot?

If it's the rotor, stop driving and take it into the dealer ASAP. If it's just the caliper/brake pads, still take it in as soon as you can.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 02:03 PM   #8
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
if you were braking hard and you got water in the brakes from the rain, it's not uncommon for the rotor to vaporize the water...
That would last no more than a few seconds as soon as the water gets in contact with the rotor. Water would need to be continuously falling on the rotor to be noticeably smoking by the time you get out of the car.
Appreciate 0