BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

08-26-2021, 01:23 AM   #1
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Frozen bluestone and silverstone interior care

So... on a Frozen bluestone what's the best ppf for the car? Does ceramic coating the ppf add shine to the car, does the ppf dull the color at all? I'm hearing mixed reports for everything as is the usual and would love to see some before and after pics or people that just did like a front and hood compared to the rest of the car.

Was looking at xpel stealth and ceramic pro possibly on top as recommended by the place I had planned to do it unless someone has recomandations for a place that works specifically with Frozen paints on the east coast (doing performance delivery so I can take it anywhere from there I suppose). Also they're going to have to work around spoiler and front lip and sideskirts because apparently that betalink stuff doesn't come off very nicely or at all... for carbon bits and roof would you do a regular gloss ppf? (Yes I am getting all the factory carbon bits port installed so they'll be soldered onto the paint courtesy of bmw)

As for the interior... some say ceramic coating the leather will cause it to dry out some say it'll be fine others have said it screws with the vented seats because it plugs the holes, again anyone actually have any experience long term with something like that or am I going to have to suck it up and take it to the detailer every other week? (Yes I'm too lazy to take care of it myself and I'd do a much worse job)

Just to clarify this is going to be my daily driver, I drive 30-40k miles a year and plan to keep this thing until the engine gives out before building it up and trying to push for 1500 to the wheels. So I want to keep the paint and interior in the best shape possible and I'm talking 6-10 years down the line...

Thank you all for any valuable input and if anyone in the tri-state area has an f90 in frozen bluestone, or an f90 with silverstone merino or both (I saw one on YT) do you mind setting something up so I can see these rare colors in person?🤣🤣
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 03:10 AM   #2
FourPtDrift
This is my unique custom title
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5C, '20 F83 M4C

Dropped off my car last Monday for an extensive, full-car, including all CF trim, front to back, PPF with SunTek. My car is Frozen Marina Bay Blue - SunTek has the right solutions for this car (matte finish PPF for the painted surfaces, high-glass PPF for the CF trim and headlights) and I was guided through this process with the help from BMW. I am supposed to pick the car up tomorrow - I will post finished photos soon.

Stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
So... on a Frozen bluestone what's the best ppf for the car? Does ceramic coating the ppf add shine to the car, does the ppf dull the color at all? I'm hearing mixed reports for everything as is the usual and would love to see some before and after pics or people that just did like a front and hood compared to the rest of the car.

Was looking at xpel stealth and ceramic pro possibly on top as recommended by the place I had planned to do it unless someone has recomandations for a place that works specifically with Frozen paints on the east coast (doing performance delivery so I can take it anywhere from there I suppose). Also they're going to have to work around spoiler and front lip and sideskirts because apparently that betalink stuff doesn't come off very nicely or at all... for carbon bits and roof would you do a regular gloss ppf? (Yes I am getting all the factory carbon bits port installed so they'll be soldered onto the paint courtesy of bmw)

As for the interior... some say ceramic coating the leather will cause it to dry out some say it'll be fine others have said it screws with the vented seats because it plugs the holes, again anyone actually have any experience long term with something like that or am I going to have to suck it up and take it to the detailer every other week? (Yes I'm too lazy to take care of it myself and I'd do a much worse job)

Just to clarify this is going to be my daily driver, I drive 30-40k miles a year and plan to keep this thing until the engine gives out before building it up and trying to push for 1500 to the wheels. So I want to keep the paint and interior in the best shape possible and I'm talking 6-10 years down the line...

Thank you all for any valuable input and if anyone in the tri-state area has an f90 in frozen bluestone, or an f90 with silverstone merino or both (I saw one on YT) do you mind setting something up so I can see these rare colors in person?🤣🤣

2021 F90 Comp LCI Frozen Marina Bay Blue/Aragon Brown Full Merino
2020 F83 Comp LCI Porsche Chalk/Black Full Merino
2018 F82 Comp LCI Mineral White/Sakhir Orange (Sold)
2017 F83 Comp Black Saphhire/Sakhir Orange (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 09:07 AM   #3
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourPtDrift View Post
Dropped off my car last Monday for an extensive, full-car, including all CF trim, front to back, PPF with SunTek. My car is Frozen Marina Bay Blue - SunTek has the right solutions for this car (matte finish PPF for the painted surfaces, high-glass PPF for the CF trim and headlights) and I was guided through this process with the help from BMW. I am supposed to pick the car up tomorrow - I will post finished photos soon.

Stay tuned!
Awesome! If you have any before and after pics in similar lighting that would be perfect.

Also what do you mean bmw guided you and would you mind sharing who you did the ppf with if they're on the east coast?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 01:09 PM   #4
FourPtDrift
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! If you have any before and after pics in similar lighting that would be perfect.

Also what do you mean bmw guided you and would you mind sharing who you did the ppf with if they're on the east coast?
I have long established relationships with both BMW NA and BMW AG. I got introductions to the right resources to get the job done.

Your best bet is to speak with your local BMW service manager - ask to speak with or be connected with the "Aftersales Area Manager" who can introduce/connect you with the "Regional Wholesale, Body and Paint Manager." That's the person who will know which are the BMW factory qualified/trained/certified shops in your area that have gone through the extra training to qualify themselves for working with BMW frozen paints. It will be one of these shops that you'll want to go to - and SunTek is the product you're going to want to have on your car.

As for seeing my car, there's a a thread I've posted here which contains a 4K video of my car, before the PPF:

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1828564

At the time we thought the car was 1 of 4. We've now confirmed it is actually 1 of 1. The PPF is more than worth it.

The shop this is applying the PPF has been sending me status photos throughout the process. So far, so good. Car looks excellent. Looking forward to the big reveal later today.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 06:40 AM   #5
FourPtDrift
United_States
Rep

My car needed shields. It's now got them.

PPF is complete! This was an extremely extensive and intensive, nearly two week process - covering the ENTIRE car with a combination of both matte and gloss SunTek PPF material. Work was done at European Collision Center - a BMW NA approved and selected facility, factory trained in working with BMW Frozen paint.

Information on this talented (and absolutely massive) shop can be found here:

https://www.europeancollision.com

I absolutely love my car's truly unique, dare I say it, exceptional Frozen Marina Bay Blue finish. It's stunning to look at in any lighting condition, day or night. BUT, and this is a BIG "BUT," if you are especially persnickety about keeping you car looking clean - and I am - than this also has to be the single most frustrating color and finish to live with on a daily basis. AND, as much as California has a strong car culture, with incredible roads, everywhere, a fair share of them are crumbling. And it's dry and dusty here. SO, any spirited drive, or even just an ordinary highway trip poses the constant threat of "attack" from dust, dirt, rocks, gravel and God only knows what else that is perpetually littering our roadways. "Frozen paint" means no buffing, not polishing, no concealing, no nothing. If you catch something flying at the car, it's going to show, and big time. And the only real remediation is a full re-paint.

SO, PPF it is.

I was very worried that the car's incredible "luster" could be/would be lost with the PPF application. Nope. Not at all. if anything, this incredible SunTek PPF material ENHANCED the look of the car's finish as some of the orange peel which is still present in a Frozen paint car, is concealed. When you open a door, say for example one of the rear doors, when you examine the point where the PPF "ends" and the "naked" frozen paint surface continues, all this is observed is the "edge" of the PPF. There is ZERO discernible difference in color, tone, sheen or shine between the PPF surface and the "bare" surface.

This is an EXCELLENT solution and frankly, should have been done to the car, pre-delivery, as delivery came with some niggles. BUT, it's done now, and I couldn't be happier with the end result.

A big thank you to:

East Bay BMW for their support and assistance. (Absolutely, hands down the BEST BMW service center in the entire SF Bay Area, if not the whole state of California).
BMW NA for their support and assistance. (They absolutely do care about their customers and stand by them, 100%)
European Collision Center for their incredible team - with special thanks to Dennis, Fernando and William. You guys are awesome!

And now photos!

Enjoy!

-Daniel
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Jamesmick131.00
      08-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #6
FourPtDrift
United_States
Rep

BTW - I just now finished reposting the above post into the main/general forum as I figured a broader audience might appreciate the info. Additionally, I included two followup posts showing the work-process with 16 detailed photos.

-Daniel

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 01:35 AM   #7
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourPtDrift View Post
BTW - I just now finished reposting the above post into the main/general forum as I figured a broader audience might appreciate the info. Additionally, I included two followup posts showing the work-process with 16 detailed photos.

-Daniel
I just wanted to say I fucking love you lol it's sooo hard to find people that put their money where their mouth is... everyone says this or that but when asked to show anything it's just crickets so I really appreciate the info and the pics. Also I saw that video a while back didn't know it was you car haha congrats! Another question I wanted to ask is how did you find if it was 1 of 1? And when you say that do you mean full build or just exterior and interior color? I'm curious what your msrp was haha. Also do you know if the bmw shop took off the carbon bits when doing the ppf or did they work around it? I'm worried about the beta link and while I know there's a solvent for it it doesn't change my worries...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 02:04 AM   #8
FourPtDrift
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just wanted to say I fucking love you lol
LOl! Awwww... that's very kind. thank you.

Quote:
it's sooo hard to find people that put their money where their mouth is...
Very true.

Quote:
everyone says this or that but when asked to show anything it's just crickets so I really appreciate the info and the pics.
And you're most welcome. That's one of the main reasons for a forum such as this - but sadly there tends to be a very high signal to noise ratio.

Quote:
Also I saw that video a while back didn't know it was you car haha congrats!
Thank you again - I think looking at the video I posed previously - and seeing the incredible sheen/color tone of the Frozen MBB makes it clear that the "look" of a frozen painted car can't simply be replicated by applying a "stealth," "satin," or "matte" PPF to a car painted with a high gloss finish - it simply isn't the same. Not even remotely. This is definitely the value proposition behind getting Frozen paint - but Frozen paint is NOT as easy to live with on a daily basis as a regular gloss clear coat. The SunTek solution, unlike the Xpel product, enabled me to preserve the incredible sheen and color tone of my car's Frozen finish without any compromise.

Quote:
Another question I wanted to ask is how did you find if it was 1 of 1?
Asked my internal contact at BMW to run a check for me. Now mind you, at the end of a production run, this could change. But so far, my car is truly very unique.

Quote:
And when you say that do you mean full build or just exterior and interior color?
All options, all packages, all customizations, etc.

Quote:
I'm curious what your msrp was haha.
AS the car currently stands, including the latest addition of the PPF, retail value is just shy of $165K.

Quote:
Also do you know if the bmw shop took off the carbon bits when doing the ppf or did they work around it?
Removing the CF elements is not necessary and not advisable. BUT, they require special attention and application to make coverage work "seamlessly." And as you can see from my detailed photos, these accomplished this perfectly.

Please see the detailed work photos in the main forum - the link is here:

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1853736

Quote:
I'm worried about the beta link and while I know there's a solvent for it it doesn't change my worries...
Under NO circumstances should you try and brake the beta link seal on a frozen paint surface. Anyone who even suggests that is a.) not factory trained and b.) does NOT know what they're doing. Period.

Hope this info helps...

-Daniel

Appreciate 0