Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

04-17-2021, 10:32 PM   #1
safridi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2/2018 Focus RS

My car arrived with the wrong color calipers

I picked up my car last night. Didnt get the chance to do a thorough inspection bc its ramadan and i needed to get home fast. This morning i went to go stare at it and realized the car had blue calipers. I had ordered black calipers. I have all the paperwork that says i indeed ordered black calipers. Made a fuss about it to the dealership and they apologized and said the guy that does the final check wasnt there that day. How long do you think this will take to resolve?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 04:29 AM   #2
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by safridi View Post
I picked up my car last night. Didnt get the chance to do a thorough inspection bc its ramadan and i needed to get home fast. This morning i went to go stare at it and realized the car had blue calipers. I had ordered black calipers. I have all the paperwork that says i indeed ordered black calipers. Made a fuss about it to the dealership and they apologized and said the guy that does the final check wasnt there that day. How long do you think this will take to resolve?
WHAT??!?!?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 06:43 AM   #3
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX (Oxide Grey)

Garage List
Quote:
You can run your VIN through an online decoder (such as https://www.mdecoder.com/) and see if the spec matches up. That will tell you who is to blame, it's either a mistake made at the production plant (highly improbable), or your dealership submitted the wrong order to BMW (most likely this is what happened).

Not sure how it works in the US, but if this happened in the UK, you could threaten the dealership that sold you the car that the item was not as per agreed specification and therefore demand them to rectify this by replacing the calipers with the correct colour (not just a paint job), or otherwise you would reject the car + insist on financial compensation your way. That would force them to get their s**t together.

Last edited by Sbm007; 04-18-2021 at 06:53 AM..
Appreciate 3
themnmd1687.00
opielm88.00
      04-18-2021, 07:30 AM   #4
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘18 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbm007 View Post
...reject the car + insist on financial compensation your way. That would force them to get their s**t together.
Yep. Sadly, that’s very likely the only way they’ll respond. You don’t have to be rude about it, just be matter-of-fact. You’ve gotta be willing to let the car go if they try to call your bluff

I’d recommend you try “I’m not accepting the car as is, but I will if you have the calipers professionally painted to my ordered spec, to include the M logo as if coming from the factory”
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 08:34 AM   #5
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mphgolf View Post
Yep. Sadly, that’s very likely the only way they’ll respond. You don’t have to be rude about it, just be matter-of-fact. You’ve gotta be willing to let the car go if they try to call your bluff

I’d recommend you try “I’m not accepting the car as is, but I will if you have the calipers professionally painted to my ordered spec, to include the M logo as if coming from the factory”
Personally, I would insist them to replace it with OEM red calipers, instead of having it painted. I wouldn't trust the paint unless it was done under factory conditions / using the original production process.
2022 G80 M3 Competition M xDrive (Oxide Grey)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 10:12 AM   #6
Rick955
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

2nd thread I've seen with someone getting wrong color calipers. I believe the first guy had blue instead of the red he ordered. I don't know how he made out in the end. Whether it was the dealer or the factory, I'd have the dealer replace them with the black you have on your order sheet. It shouldn't be very hard to do?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 10:30 AM   #7
safridi
Private
United_States
Rep

Yea my dealership is supposed to call me tomorrow with updates. I hate having to deal with this honestly....like we all wait patiently for our cars and they have more than enough time to get this right.....i just hope this doesnt stretch out into months of waiting.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2021, 10:53 AM   #8
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbm007 View Post
Personally, I would insist them to replace it with OEM red calipers, instead of having it painted. I wouldn't trust the paint unless it was done under factory conditions / using the original production process.
100% on the same page. I just don’t see the dealer actually doing that
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 10:54 AM   #9
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yea my dealership is supposed to call me tomorrow with updates. I hate having to deal with this honestly....like we all wait patiently for our cars and they have more than enough time to get this right.....i just hope this doesnt stretch out into months of waiting.
Hopefully they do the right thing and get you the calipers you actually ordered...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 11:05 PM   #10
safridi
Private
United_States
Rep

Soo majority of my fam and friends say that the blue calipers actually look good and that i shouldnt pitch a bitch to bmw about getting the black calipers.....the car is IOMG with black 826m wheels.....i mean i see how the blue contrasts well with the blue in the laser lights and the blue in the logo but i dunno i always felt the black calipers with black wheels would look better....i have yet to see what it looks like so plz post links or pics if you guys have come across any of all black 826m wheels with blck calipers.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 03:44 AM   #11
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Soo majority of my fam and friends say that the blue calipers actually look good and that i shouldnt pitch a bitch to bmw about getting the black calipers.....the car is IOMG with black 826m wheels.....i mean i see how the blue contrasts well with the blue in the laser lights and the blue in the logo but i dunno i always felt the black calipers with black wheels would look better....i have yet to see what it looks like so plz post links or pics if you guys have come across any of all black 826m wheels with blck calipers.
It's your call end of the day, if you do like the blue colour then as long as you're happy.

It's not even a case of bitching to BMW, if you go to any store and order item X you expect to receive item X and not item Y.

Personally, I like the red calipers but that is subjective.
Blue for me isn't special enough as my previous two F83's had blue calipers and I've just gotten used to the look of that, so I need something different. I was close to choosing black but felt they don't stand out enough.

Your mileage may vary!
2022 G80 M3 Competition M xDrive (Oxide Grey)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 04:06 AM   #12
safridi
Private
United_States
Rep

Yeaaa i had blue on my previous f87.....black it is.....that was easy....thanks lol
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 05:12 PM   #13
OperationSunset
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘21 BMW M2C | '18 Tesla 3P

Have the dealer swap the calipers. It's easy enough for them to do and they can order the part directly from BMW. It's not to spec so don't sign for it unless they fix it. Since it's a new car, the wait time for new calipers might be a couple weeks unless they're used on a different model (I have no idea if they are or not).
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 06:14 PM   #14
Floridagator
Obsessed with braking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Got a photo so we can all visualize what you got?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 06:19 PM   #15
Floridagator
Obsessed with braking
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
In my opinion, you should keep what was delivered, and ask the dealer to make it right in other ways (credit at the parts counter, free car washes for life, etc).

1) If they swap for OEM red calipers, they still have to break the hydraulic system and re-bleed, which is no small task with modern "brake by wire" systems.

2) If they remove and repaint, same concern as above, and any paint system they use will surely be different than what the brake caliper manufacturer is using (which is undoubtedly a specially-developed paint for brake applications to withstand high temp)

My personal philosophy is generally never to let the dealer touch the car. Ever.
Especially when you're talking about safety-critical parts like brakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 06:44 PM   #16
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagator View Post
In my opinion, you should keep what was delivered, and ask the dealer to make it right in other ways (credit at the parts counter, free car washes for life, etc).

1) If they swap for OEM red calipers, they still have to break the hydraulic system and re-bleed, which is no small task with modern "brake by wire" systems.

2) If they remove and repaint, same concern as above, and any paint system they use will surely be different than what the brake caliper manufacturer is using (which is undoubtedly a specially-developed paint for brake applications to withstand high temp)

My personal philosophy is generally never to let the dealer touch the car. Ever.
Especially when you're talking about safety-critical parts like brakes.
So do you not take the car in for service and do everything yourself? I don't think I'm comfortable doing a brake job on a $100k car myself . Also what about the break in service?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 07:04 PM   #17
Floridagator
Obsessed with braking
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
So do you not take the car in for service and do everything yourself? I don't think I'm comfortable doing a brake job on a $100k car myself . Also what about the break in service?
Ok, I let the dealers do the oil changes, but only because they're free until [IIRC] 36k miles.

Believe it or not, brakes pads/discs are fairly easy, although it should be a while before you'll need to service them. On my F80 M3 (which had comparatively small pads) I got nearly 75k miles out of them before they needed to be changed.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 08:32 PM   #18
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Are calipers not easily replaceable? BMW sends the correct ones to the deal and they swap them for you?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 08:32 PM   #19
safridi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagator View Post
Quote:
Got a photo so we can all visualize what you got?
Yea heres a cropped pic of a pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:07 PM   #20
rideontwo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VaNOs

Looks good... Make a stink if you really want to. I know I sure as heck would not want the stealership to take off the calipers, paint them, etc.. Guarantee they will screw something up. Been there done that.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:11 PM   #21
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

I'd want the ones I ordered. I ordered them for a reason and have had my mind set on what I was getting for months. Assuming you have all the papers to show what you ordered and didn't get they should make it right. Maybe if they accidentally gave me the $8k ceramic brakes I wouldn't complain though.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 10:16 PM   #22
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
I think the blue looks good. The black ones will just get lost against the black wheels...but maybe that is what you were going for? I think that if you are any sort of fine with the blue then just pursue getting the dealership to make it right in a different way. If you had your heart set on the black and you'll always look at it and wonder "what if?" then I would have them swap out for the black as you'll never be happy.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0