05-24-2021, 01:28 PM   #23
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowboy85 View Post
Only if you have DSC completely off, if you use the MDM a lot you will go through the rears faster.

After 3400 miles, and one track day that I tried using MDM and DSC never again they rely heavily on rear brake use
I just tracked my new M4 Comp for the first time last week with DSC off, MDM off, and Traction Control off for the whole day, and ended up with the same results. The front pads have about 50% thickness remaining, and the rears about 25%. This is after about 2 1/2 hours of track time. No way to do a second day on these rear pads, and iffy about the fronts. It really seems to me that these cars have a built in rear brake bias, though this would be new in my experience. Maybe I have just led a sheltered life?

Regardless, no more track time for me until my already ordered, and very expensive pads arrive from Germany. I was told about 5 to 7 weeks. US dealer orders from Germany - factory ships to US dealer - dealer transships to customer. This really sucks for me as in my former life (440i) I was on a track 2 or 3 weekends a month, and this is no longer possible unless I change pads between every track day. Pads about $550 + labor, and I still will not be able to attend a 2 day event.

The only hope for relief from this situation is for manufacturers to start making track pads for these cars, and that is going to take awhile.
      05-24-2021, 03:44 PM   #24
spacecowboy85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
I just tracked my new M4 Comp for the first time last week with DSC off, MDM off, and Traction Control off for the whole day, and ended up with the same results. The front pads have about 50% thickness remaining, and the rears about 25%. This is after about 2 1/2 hours of track time. No way to do a second day on these rear pads, and iffy about the fronts. It really seems to me that these cars have a built in rear brake bias, though this would be new in my experience. Maybe I have just led a sheltered life?

Regardless, no more track time for me until my already ordered, and very expensive pads arrive from Germany. I was told about 5 to 7 weeks. US dealer orders from Germany - factory ships to US dealer - dealer transships to customer. This really sucks for me as in my former life (440i) I was on a track 2 or 3 weekends a month, and this is no longer possible unless I change pads between every track day. Pads about $550 + labor, and I still will not be able to attend a 2 day event.

The only hope for relief from this situation is for manufacturers to start making track pads for these cars, and that is going to take awhile.

Sadly I’m on the same boat, I have done three track days and I am now waiting for brake pads, I wrote on here you can use the M5 f10 rears pads but I haven’t been able to cross reference anything for the front so I’m at the mercy of BMW at this point and no track days
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:17 AM   #25
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

It’s likely not the bias, those rear brakes are so disproportionately puny compared to the front, it’s no wonder they wear faster.

Street pads are not designed for track use. While modern street pads can perform decently well on track, they will wear extremely fast. I could barely do a full track with the stock pads on my F82.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:05 AM   #26
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
It’s likely not the bias, those rear brakes are so disproportionately puny compared to the front, it’s no wonder they wear faster.

Street pads are not designed for track use. While modern street pads can perform decently well on track, they will wear extremely fast. I could barely do a full track with the stock pads on my F82.
I am well aware of the limitations of street pads, and have used track pads for years. I was just hoping to get a bit more use out of the OEM's, especially considering the cost, and long wait time for replacements. I have already ordered 2 full sets, and 2 extra sets of rears to try to get ahead of the shipping delay problem, but we will all still be faced with the outrageous cost of the OEM rears. $375+ for street pads?

Track pads for these cars will unfortunately not be available any time soon. I have spoken with both EBC and Pagid, and both indicated an expected release time frame of Q1 or Q2 of 2022. I would expect other manufacturers to be roughly on a similar schedule.

A classic example of the pioneers taking the arrows. Ouch!
      05-26-2021, 06:06 AM   #27
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

I am well aware of the limitations of street pads, and have used track pads for years. I was just hoping to get a bit more use out of the OEM's, especially considering the cost, and long wait time for replacements. I have already ordered 2 full sets, and 2 extra sets of rears to try to get ahead of the shipping delay problem, but we will all still be faced with the outrageous cost of the OEM rears. $375+ for street pads?

Track pads for these cars will unfortunately not be available any time soon. I have spoken with both EBC and Pagid, and both indicated an expected release time frame of Q1 or Q2 of 2022. I would expect other manufacturers to be roughly on a similar schedule.

I've read many times on other brand forums that Porterfield seemed like the fastest place to develop new pads when ppl send them there worn out ones.

I have there R4S for the street that are fine but I was not particularly impressed with there R4 on my AP BBK and worn they off in 2-3 days but the performance was still much better than street pads.

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2021, 08:52 PM   #28
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:

RacingBrake found out about the F90 M5's shortage of the same problem, and helped me out by providing much tougher pads.

One of you guys should consider contacting them, and seeing if they'll make a prototype. You might need to send them a backing plate, and they'll get back with you. They have existing compounds that will fit the bill. MUCH better than the stock compound.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2021, 09:21 AM   #29
Kart
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Is it possible to deactivate the parking brake to automatically engage when turning off the car and walking away?

It's better to not engage the parking brake when getting out of a track session with hot brakes. I have looked at the manual and did not find any way to prevent the parking brake to engage automatically.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 09:50 AM   #30
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart View Post
Is it possible to deactivate the parking brake to automatically engage when turning off the car and walking away?

It's better to not engage the parking brake when getting out of a track session with hot brakes. I have looked at the manual and did not find any way to prevent the parking brake to engage automatically.
To my knowledge if you don't use AutoHold it does not engage. I can check on my M340i but I can feel the car wiggling when pressing P and not using the electronic handbrake.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #31
Kart
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
I just tracked my new M4 Comp for the first time last week with DSC off, MDM off, and Traction Control off for the whole day, and ended up with the same results. The front pads have about 50% thickness remaining, and the rears about 25%. This is after about 2 1/2 hours of track time.
How do the front tires wear out? On my previous M cars 100% OEM, no modification, I did have slightly more wear on the outside shoulder but it was reasonable. But my M2C is terrible with the front tires at the track. I delaminated the Michelin Super Sport delivered with the car. Changed for Michelin Cup 2 hoping they will hold better but I still wear out the outside shoulder with the middle still at 50%. It's the first car that I had to put camber plate to address this issue. I'm wondering how the G82 eat the tires since no camber plate are available yet for this car. I'm asking because I will have to replace my M2C next summer and I'm looking for the M4 but it needs to be trackable.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:32 AM   #32
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep

I got to drive M2C's a couple of times on track, and was amazed at how much understeer those cars are delivered with. If ever a car cried out for camber plates, that is it. Previous to my new M4C I drove a 440i, and stock it still handled better than the M2C. It too needed camber plates, which I quickly added (along with other go fast goodies) and boy, did that improve the corner handling and tire wear on that car.

I have only done one track day with the M4C so far (need brake pads), so I can't speak definitively as to the wear and longevity of these tires. What I can say however is that this car comes with more camber than any other stock BMW I have seen including M cars. They all seem to be right around -1deg. or a bit more. I have not had it measured yet, but eyeballing the stance of the front wheels I would put it at about -1.6 or -1.7deg. The car handles like a dream through tight corners with just an occasional chirp from the tires, and no concerning outside edge wear.

I am very pleased with the handling, however I suspect that with further experience it will likely become apparent that more camber (camber plates) will improve things even further for those of us who take track driving seriously. This will be a lengthy process though as camber plates require extensive design, engineering, and testing before production.

Last edited by Boomer 2019; 06-14-2021 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00