BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

06-06-2021, 05:22 PM   #177
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Have to admit, I like the grill. However, my car is black and color makes a lot of difference. Were it white, for example, I wouldn't. I so used to Lexus, Audi, Genesis, Toyota et al, that it was pretty simple to accept. Looks much better in person. As to performance: had the 1200 (1000 for me) break in and took it to redline for the first time. The power is amazing. And the sound with the flaps open about as good as it gets for a turbo 6. One other thing, with the flaps wired full open and the module disconnected, there is a notation in the computer scan. No CEL. The tech saw what I did and recommended it highly--sound and a few extra hp throughout the range.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 05:35 PM   #178
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

vetteflier

For the record, it is not the size of the front grilles. I actually really like the Lexus front grille and even more so the Audi front grille. Aesthetically speaking, Audi is knocking it out of the park these days.

What I do not like about the G80/82 front grilles is they are simply ugly and unshapely as fuck . . . completely subjective I know. As hideous as the G80/80 grilles are, the grilles throughout the rest of the lineup are even worse.

I have not had any error messages with the exhaust valves secured open, nor would it concern me if I did. . . clearly, same is true for yourself.

Hope you are enjoying the roadways

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 12:06 PM   #179
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
vetteflier

For the record, it is not the size of the front grilles. I actually really like the Lexus front grille and even more so the Audi front grille. Aesthetically speaking, Audi is knocking it out of the park these days.

What I do not like about the G80/82 front grilles is they are simply ugly and unshapely as fuck . . . completely subjective I know. As hideous as the G80/80 grilles are, the grilles throughout the rest of the lineup are even worse.

I have not had any error messages with the exhaust valves secured open, nor would it concern me if I did. . . clearly, same is true for yourself.

Hope you are enjoying the roadways

///AVM
Sure am! 7250 redline is a first for me, coming from large V8s. The notation is in the vehicle scan they do when you bring it in for service. And just a notation. It also shows required service, e.g, the 1200 mile, just an oil change, etc. I asked the tech if he was aware of any power increases/better sound, etc after the 1200 mile. He said he had heard some people say there is an increase in exhaust burbles, but with the flaps wired open like you and I have, wouldn't be noticeable. The exhaust has been burbling a lot more, but I ascribe that to seasoning of the exhaust system with miles being added. In any event, it's as good as it can be, so I'm happy. A turbo 3 liter is never going to sound like a 6.2 liter NA V8.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 01:20 PM   #180
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

vetteflier

I chased naturally aspirated-like sound with turbo engines on more than one occasion . . . it ain’t happening. The closest I ever got was with Macan Turbo and AWE Track exhaust.

Above stated, the stock G80/82 exhaust is pretty impressive tone-wise, but a bit light on the decibel side of things.

I have learned to appreciate more of what comes from under the hood than out the tailpipe with these turbo engines. I love the sound of a wrung-out engine and, again, the S58 is very appealing to my acoustic senses.

If anything on the road sounds as good the GT350, I have yet to hear it . . . if the video below were a record, I would have worn it out by now.

///AVM

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 05:23 PM   #181
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ford has always had great exhausts. Back in the day, stock sounded like Flow masters. Even the GT sounds great. But I'm with you: decent exhaust and outstanding performance is all you can hope for. BTW--NOTHING sounded like the B&B Bullets I had on my '06 and '13 Vettes. No mufflers, just tuned resonators. Wish they made them for BMWs.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      06-07-2021, 05:39 PM   #182
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Impressions of 'Non-spirited' Driving

I do not think I am going out on a limb by saying not many members on this forum are buying the G80/82 for casual daily driving . . . nonetheless, I wanted to add the following perspective you rarely encounter among enthusiasts on Bimmerpost.

This morning I had an errand to run. Typical roadways and an intervening stretch of highway for 10-15 miles. For whatever reason, just was not feeling ‘spirited’ . . . albeit uncommon, there are times I just want to drive in a somewhat non-spirited or 'normal' manner.

‘Normal’ for many of us is probably still a bit aggressive compared to the non-enthusiast but I was not racing around; was not wringing out the engine; did not even have ZF8 manual mode activated . . . I left G80C in start-up mode in terms of all performance features, including ZF8 automatic mode.

The start-up COMFORT/ROAD modes still offer a tremendous experience. More than ample and easily accessible power. Firm, yet quite comfortable ride coupled with exceptional handling. Very composed with WAY more than a hint of sportiness. ZF8 automatic mode fantastic. Shifts smooth and flawless. As Goldilocks might say, everything seemed ‘just right.’ Refined, yet sporty.

I have not yet had the occasion to travel great distance in a single setting – most of which entailing ‘normal’ driving - but imagine the G80/82 will be very enjoyable when the occasion soon arises.

Hard to imagine a car on the road that offers such a breadth of enjoyable driving experiences; such a wide range of capabilities. I am truly impressed.

///AVM
Appreciate 4
chicagofan0018923.00
evilalien447.50
02M3ForMe4255.50
      06-18-2021, 07:42 AM   #183
Traind
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Interestingly, the topic of MTC and Drift Mode (M Drive Professional) is highlighted in the video below and topic of a new thread.

Couple related comments.

1. As seems pretty clear in the video below and recent AutoTopNL MT vs Competition video, the torque/power difference between the two models is not only witnessed on paper, but on the roadways as well . . . still, I have no doubt the MT is not remotely close to anything one would consider 'under powered.'

2. Although drifting and donuts are fun, they have almost no practical application on the roadways or track. So, as before, M Drive Professional is cool technology, but of no practical value.

Now I am sure someone out there might comment to the effect that 'nannies' are for pussies and it takes skill to drive a car with no/limited traction control . . . all I will is say is, 'have at it!'

///AVM
This is a great thread. BMW should be paying you a sales commision, not that you are unduly biased but the information here is terrific for potential owners.

About the multi stage traction control feature, I think it most likely offers real value for a track day enthusiast and not just for drifting. My understanding is that you can adjust the intervention point in increments and this will allow you to have a range of support available on a road course as you explore the limits of the car. As you get more comfortable controlling oversteer, you can lower the amount of intervention. Depending on the track's difficulty, available runoff room if you make an error, driver experience and comfort with the potential of damaging your car.... this feature could be terrific to gradually step toward getting the car at the limit under braking and through corner entry and exit.

AMG GTRs have a similar feature, as do some Corvettes. They work differently but the theory is the same and I have heard quite a few positive comments coming from track time.
Appreciate 2
///AVM2528.00
EXE462097.00
      06-18-2021, 08:45 AM   #184
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traind View Post
This is a great thread. BMW should be paying you a sales commision, not that you are unduly biased but the information here is terrific for potential owners.

About the multi stage traction control feature, I think it most likely offers real value for a track day enthusiast and not just for drifting. My understanding is that you can adjust the intervention point in increments and this will allow you to have a range of support available on a road course as you explore the limits of the car. As you get more comfortable controlling oversteer, you can lower the amount of intervention. Depending on the track's difficulty, available runoff room if you make an error, driver experience and comfort with the potential of damaging your car.... this feature could be terrific to gradually step toward getting the car at the limit under braking and through corner entry and exit.

AMG GTRs have a similar feature, as do some Corvettes. They work differently but the theory is the same and I have heard quite a few positive comments coming from track time.
Traind

Thank you for your kind comments and perspective

Yes, I agree, MTC technology targets those who routinely track their vehicles and wish to explore/push the limits.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 12:39 PM   #185
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
I do not think I am going out on a limb by saying not many members on this forum are buying the G80/82 for casual daily driving . . .
Thanks for this... I suspect the reality for most people here absolutely includes casual daily driving.

I am buying this car for all driving, year-round. Commuting when that is a thing, getting groceries, driving on winding mountain rounds just for fun, getting out to a track day, taking the long scenic route to pick up a brisket for the smoker, school drop-off/pick-up, road trips, etc.

It'll see blinding sun, slippery rain, and snow.
Appreciate 3
///AVM2528.00
Dzo76.00
chicagofan0018923.00
      06-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #186
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilalien View Post
Thanks for this... I suspect the reality for most people here absolutely includes casual daily driving.

I am buying this car for all driving, year-round. Commuting when that is a thing, getting groceries, driving on winding mountain rounds just for fun, getting out to a track day, taking the long scenic route to pick up a brisket for the smoker, school drop-off/pick-up, road trips, etc.

evilalien

Yes, when I posted there was a little tongue in cheek . . .

Things are no different on Bimmerpost than on any other sport/sporty car enthusiast forum. Topics dominated by track times; 0-60 times; etc. Yet, at the end of the day, 99% of owners routinely use these cars on the roadways.

So, to your point and mine, and despite the common focus, the G80/82 are extremely capable driving machines that do not get enough attention for the role they most often play. . . and too much attention for a role rarely played.

The fact that the ///M cars can wear so many hats is probably their greatest engineering feat.

///AVM
Appreciate 4
Dzo76.00
evilalien447.50
chicagofan0018923.00
      06-18-2021, 05:02 PM   #187
Osiris888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Quote:
I do not think I am going out on a limb by saying not many members on this forum are buying the G80/82 for casual daily driving . . .

Plus one on that!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 05:17 PM   #188
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris888 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Plus one on that!!!
That's one big reason to get the M3 over the M2.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 1
evilalien447.50
      06-18-2021, 06:53 PM   #189
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
That's one big reason to get the M3 over the M2.
This is exactly the set of reasons I got the M240i xDrive over the M2, and why I'm getting the M3C xDrive over the anything else.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 07:31 PM   #190
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is exactly the set of reasons I got the M240i xDrive over the M2, and why I'm getting the M3C xDrive over the anything else.
I am curious . . . given the premise of the xDrive, does BMW give you the option to get summer/sport tires versus all season tires at time of purchase?

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 08:52 PM   #191
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I am curious . . . given the premise of the xDrive, does BMW give you the option to get summer/sport tires versus all season tires at time of purchase?

///AVM
No, same options in Canada as elsewhere. Performance (summer) or track tires. Dealerships here are very ready to sell (and store) offseason wheel and tire sets, as well. I'm going to research Pilot Alpin (performance winter) vs Nokian WRG (performance all-weather snowflake-on-mountain rated) for my not-summer set.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 04:56 PM   #192
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Just uploaded first BMW software update to the G80C.

Not sure if this was a feature in my F87C? If it was, it never came to my attention.

At any rate, took about 20 minutes during which I could not drive the care. No idea what the update accomplished, although I believe there was some description in the notification . . . which I did not take time read.

What I do know is that the update fucked with just about every setting I had in the vehicle. M1 and M2 setting were changed; Auto Stop/Start turned off; favorite buttons all wiped clear; . . . and probably a few other settings I have yet to realize.

Wonder if anyone else experienced this with the software update?

///AVM
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2021, 05:07 PM   #193
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Just uploaded first BMW software update to the G80C.

Not sure if this was a feature in my F87C? If it was, it never came to my attention.

At any rate, took about 20 minutes during which I could drive the care. No idea what the update accomplished, although I believe there was some description in the notification . . . which I did not take time read.

What I do know is that the update fucked with just about every setting I had in the vehicle. M1 and M2 setting were changed; Auto Stop/Start turned off; favorite buttons all wiped clear; . . . and probably a few other settings I have yet to realize.

Wonder if anyone else experienced this with the software update?

///AVM
This remote update is a small time bomb for BMW.. The last one for the M340i fucks up all the exhaust sounds and owners are doing official complaints to BMW.

Losing all your settings is not as bad but not acceptable in my opinion, it's a sign of pour execution and implementation..
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
evilalien447.50
      06-21-2021, 05:13 PM   #194
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
This remote update is a small time bomb for BMW.. The last one for the M340i fucks up all the exhaust sounds and owners are doing official complaints to BMW.

Losing all your settings is not as bad but not acceptable in my opinion, it's a sign of pour execution and implementation..
PLF69

Well, that is all I discovered so far . . . I did not experience any obvious 'improvements.'

Next time I think I will take the time to read what the update entails and decide if it is worth the fuckery.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 06:53 PM   #195
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
PLF69

Well, that is all I discovered so far . . . I did not experience any obvious 'improvements.'

Next time I think I will take the time to read what the update entails and decide if it is worth the fuckery.

///AVM
Thats what I do for my TVs. I would do the same for the car...

Current: 2022 M3 CompX, 2024 M2 6-Spd
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      06-21-2021, 06:57 PM   #196
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
I do not think I am going out on a limb by saying not many members on this forum are buying the G80/82 for casual daily driving . . . nonetheless, I wanted to add the following perspective you rarely encounter among enthusiasts on Bimmerpost.

This morning I had an errand to run. Typical roadways and an intervening stretch of highway for 10-15 miles. For whatever reason, just was not feeling ‘spirited’ . . . albeit uncommon, there are times I just want to drive in a somewhat non-spirited or 'normal' manner.

‘Normal’ for many of us is probably still a bit aggressive compared to the non-enthusiast but I was not racing around; was not wringing out the engine; did not even have ZF8 manual mode activated . . . I left G80C in start-up mode in terms of all performance features, including ZF8 automatic mode.

The start-up COMFORT/ROAD modes still offer a tremendous experience. More than ample and easily accessible power. Firm, yet quite comfortable ride coupled with exceptional handling. Very composed with WAY more than a hint of sportiness. ZF8 automatic mode fantastic. Shifts smooth and flawless. As Goldilocks might say, everything seemed ‘just right.’ Refined, yet sporty.

I have not yet had the occasion to travel great distance in a single setting – most of which entailing ‘normal’ driving - but imagine the G80/82 will be very enjoyable when the occasion soon arises.

Hard to imagine a car on the road that offers such a breadth of enjoyable driving experiences; such a wide range of capabilities. I am truly impressed.

///AVM
I think this is spot on. I really haven't pushed my M4 at all however since it's been so hot here. I'm just kind of paranoid about that, maybe I shouldn't be.

This car is extremely comfortable cruising around town.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      06-21-2021, 09:40 PM   #197
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Like you, I manual shifted 100% of time from 2007-2010 with e90 325i 6 speed auto. The E90 M3 got me out of that habit because the gears are too short with 7 speed dct.

IMO, just leave it on auto mode day to day. Autos are engineered and designed best to be driven automatically.
      06-23-2021, 10:47 AM   #198
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

I realize it is impossible to accurately compare various tires brands/makes across different chassis. That stated, I do have the following perspective of Pirelli P Zero tires on the G80C . . .

My 718 CGTS had PS4S tires and F87C had PS tires . . . the GTS is a sport car and one of the best handling vehicles on the road today. How much of the traction/handling was related to the PS4S is hard to state, but I suspect the tires played an important role.

I only ever drove the F87C with stock PS tires and always thought the F87C was 'under-tired.' Had I kept the F87C I would have either gone 245/265 PS4S or something like 255/275 PS4S. At any rate, I would have liked a little more traction on dry and particularly wet road conditions.

The G80C with P Zero tires seems to ride fine and road noise is not a problem. I may or may not appreciate improved ride and reduced road noise with the PS/PS4S tires?

When warm (above 100 degrees) on dry roads the P Zero grip is decent on most occasions. However, if I am aggressive with throttle, even the heated up P Zeros will 'spin' when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gears. I do not mind a little slip when going from 1st to 2nd gears, but not a fan when north of 60 mph and the rear end gets loose going from 2nd to 3rd gears.

Although not much by way of being a valid comparison across different chassis, I think the P Zero traction is inferior to both the PS and PS4S tires. Like the F87C, my G80C seems 'under-tired' with P Zeros on both dry and, particularly wet road conditions. If I keep the G80C long enough to wear out the P Zero treads, I would definitely switch to PS4S.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
DoubleDave1116.00