home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-13-2024, 02:35 PM   #1
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT

Single midpipe questions

No car yet but planning ahead. I’m coming from a catless n54 which is now way too loud. I hate drone and rasp. 2 questions:

1) when compared to stock, how much louder (percent wise) would a resonated single midpipe be (with a valve controller)? Leaving everything else stock.

2) if leaving remainder stock, is there a significant difference in volume/rasp between a resonated and non-resonated single midpipe? For those who have heard/had both.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 03:44 PM   #2
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

I'd say its around 40-50% louder to my ears with a midpipe and valve controller set at 100%.

With a midpipe as your only mod rasp won't be much of an issue with either the resonated or non resonated.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2024, 04:03 PM   #3
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

End of this video has some before and after without a valve controller.

Another showing stock vs midpipe vs midpipe and valve controller.

Appreciate 2
      02-14-2024, 11:12 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

giving a number on how loud it is is inaccurate because the sound characteristics change, not just the volume.

The single midpipe will change how the car sounds in all RPM ranges for the better. It's got a deeper mid-range tone, with a clean rasp-free high RPM. It's noticeably louder than stock and sounds so much better.

I agree with MAD that adding the controller to the midpipe is the way to go.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 3
      02-14-2024, 05:48 PM   #5
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT

thanks guys.

i am curious if there is any difference whatsoever between resonated and non-resonated if all else stock. there are some videos on youtube of non res with stock otherwise and occasionally sounds raspy, but could be the sound quality of the video.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 05:53 PM   #6
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackcoupe View Post
thanks guys.

i am curious if there is any difference whatsoever between resonated and non-resonated if all else stock. there are some videos on youtube of non res with stock otherwise and occasionally sounds raspy, but could be the sound quality of the video.
I have a non-res AA single with stock downpipes and muffler and it's only every so slightly raspy if you're revving it at stock and only at super high RPMs. Other RPMs and if you're actually ripping it, it's not raspy at all.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2024, 07:41 PM   #7
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackcoupe View Post
thanks guys.

I called AA direct and talked to them.
The guy I spoke with recommended the resonated single mid for me. I don’t want any rasp or droning. Just a little more volume.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2024, 09:37 AM   #8
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

You can go with a resonated it will smooth out the tone slightly and wont change the volume much.

Keep in mind cars revving will have a slightly different sound than a car under actual load and boost. So unless you want a certain tone revving I would base it off a driving video.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 11:50 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper View Post
I called AA direct and talked to them.
The guy I spoke with recommended the resonated single mid for me. I don’t want any rasp or droning. Just a little more volume.
The resonated single midpipe offers the cleanest setup. i think that's what you should get

Appreciate 1
Tobster3630.50
      02-15-2024, 03:51 PM   #10
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
The resonated single midpipe offers the cleanest setup. i think that's what you should get
If you're talking to me; I did. It showed up yesterday.
This weekends project.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 04:25 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper View Post
If you're talking to me; I did. It showed up yesterday.
This weekends project.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 05:29 AM   #12
GT_Juls
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

Resonated midpipe and rest stock will be perfect for you with zero drone.

A lot of people get the rear section but that oem muffler is basically a straight pipe sound when opened fully with a valve controller.

Ive had numerous setups and was amazed how much open sound the oem muffler allows.
      02-16-2024, 10:54 AM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_Juls View Post
Resonated midpipe and rest stock will be perfect for you with zero drone.

A lot of people get the rear section but that oem muffler is basically a straight pipe sound when opened fully with a valve controller.

Ive had numerous setups and was amazed how much open sound the oem muffler allows.
Resonated midpipe with everything else stock will sound like the car was supposed to come from the factory. It's got a nice sound without being too aggressive.

It's too quiet for my taste, I prefer the resonated midpipe with an axle back or high-flow catted downpipes.

Appreciate 1
      02-16-2024, 11:47 AM   #14
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 /// M50i /// 964 C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Resonated midpipe with everything else stock will sound like the car was supposed to come from the factory. It's got a nice sound without being too aggressive.

It's too quiet for my taste, I prefer the resonated midpipe with an axle back or high-flow catted downpipes.
Any comments on how much louder the non-res AA midpipe is compared to the resonated version with everything else stock? I'm debating options between the single versions and EL.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 02:45 PM   #15
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtronics View Post
Any comments on how much louder the non-res AA midpipe is compared to the resonated version with everything else stock? I'm debating options between the single versions and EL.
It would be very similar to ours and the answer is not that much. You would probably need a decibel meter to see the difference.

It will be a slightly smoother and refined tone though.
Appreciate 1
dtronics412.00
      02-16-2024, 03:43 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tough to say without measurements but its cleaner and noticeably quieter with the resonated version but i would not consider it a huge difference

Appreciate 1
dtronics412.00
      02-16-2024, 05:22 PM   #17
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I will say, as an owner of a non-resonated AA single...even if it's louder when wide open, with the valves closed and in comfort it's still equally as silent as stock. If you're afraid it'll be too loud when you *don't* want it to be, don't be worried. I can go from 100% comfort silent to decently loud (sport+ with valves OEM) to 100% full volume (sport+ and valves fully open all the time) with the help of the SST valve controller.

I think the perfect setup for those who want a really nice middle-ground is a non-resonated single midpipe with stock downpipes and the stock axleback. You have the comfort of keeping stock downpipes to not affect warranty, not deal with any CELs, and no smell, and the stock axleback (muffler) is really good at removing drone and rasp. I do get a *bit* of drone at 1700-2000RPM but *only* if I have the valves fully open. If I want the drone to go away, valves back to OEM control and it's nice and compliant. Zero drone after that.

I'm happier than I even expected to be with this setup. I feel the resonated version without any other modifications would be too quiet to be worth the price for the pipe.
Appreciate 4
dtronics412.00
forcefed2562.50
HDEddie1120.00
      02-16-2024, 05:55 PM   #18
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
I will say, as an owner of a non-resonated AA single...even if it's louder when wide open, with the valves closed and in comfort it's still equally as silent as stock. If you're afraid it'll be too loud when you *don't* want it to be, don't be worried. I can go from 100% comfort silent to decently loud (sport+ with valves OEM) to 100% full volume (sport+ and valves fully open all the time) with the help of the SST valve controller.

I think the perfect setup for those who want a really nice middle-ground is a non-resonated single midpipe with stock downpipes and the stock axleback. You have the comfort of keeping stock downpipes to not affect warranty, not deal with any CELs, and no smell, and the stock axleback (muffler) is really good at removing drone and rasp. I do get a *bit* of drone at 1700-2000RPM but *only* if I have the valves fully open. If I want the drone to go away, valves back to OEM control and it's nice and compliant. Zero drone after that.

I'm happier than I even expected to be with this setup. I feel the resonated version without any other modifications would be too quiet to be worth the price for the pipe.
Thanks for the well thought out response, it's greatly appreciated. I'm going to switch up my order based on your feedback. Thanks man!

mike@x-ph.com I DM'd you my order number. Can you switch mine from resonated to non-res? It's probably the only order you had today going to Rhode Island... haha.
Appreciate 1
Berzerker2885.00
      02-16-2024, 09:19 PM   #19
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the well thought out response, it's greatly appreciated. I'm going to switch up my order based on your feedback. Thanks man!

mike@x-ph.com I DM'd you my order number. Can you switch mine from resonated to non-res? It's probably the only order you had today going to Rhode Island... haha.
Make sure to add that SST valve controller if you don't have it on there already!
Appreciate 1
dtronics412.00
      02-16-2024, 10:01 PM   #20
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Make sure to add that SST valve controller if you don't have it on there already!
I want to but i'm waiting. I had the OBDII CAN Module on my F82 and I loved being able to control the valves from the stalk on the wheel. It plugged right into the OBD port and it was tucked away.

I need to have two dedicated HomeLink buttons for two houses and I hate having the garage remotes in my car. I'm waiting for the plug and play AWRON option so I can use the existing M1 M2 buttons. I saw this option that another member mentioned:

https://modeautoconcepts.com/en-us/p...g83-inc-xdrive

I reached out to them but they gave me no information in their reply. I'm in a holding pattern until EAS provides a plug and play option for the AWRON unit.

Thanks again for your feedback on the midpipe. I spent literally hours researching and you gave me the exact feedback I needed on the "res vs non-res" question. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 12:21 AM   #21
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I want to but i'm waiting. I had the OBDII CAN Module on my F82 and I loved being able to control the valves from the stalk on the wheel. It plugged right into the OBD port and it was tucked away.

I need to have two dedicated HomeLink buttons for two houses and I hate having the garage remotes in my car. I'm waiting for the plug and play AWRON option so I can use the existing M1 M2 buttons. I saw this option that another member mentioned:

https://modeautoconcepts.com/en-us/p...g83-inc-xdrive

I reached out to them but they gave me no information in their reply. I'm in a holding pattern until EAS provides a plug and play option for the AWRON unit.

Thanks again for your feedback on the midpipe. I spent literally hours researching and you gave me the exact feedback I needed on the "res vs non-res" question. Much appreciated.
I mounted my remote to the under the middle tray so I don't even use any of the homelink buttons. It's out of the way and easy to hit, so idk I don't think it's an issue tbh.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 12:44 AM   #22
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I mounted my remote to the under the middle tray so I don't even use any of the homelink buttons. It's out of the way and easy to hit, so idk I don't think it's an issue tbh.
I'm just so used to having the buttons close or on the wheel. I can't go back. The only way I can compare it is moving from a Mac to a PC.

Thank you for all you do for the community. After a couple years removed from a M car, I love that the enthusiasts are still here.

P.S. It's your fault if I don't like my midpipe.
Appreciate 1
Berzerker2885.00