Tall Tom Cruise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostboy23 View Post
What clutch is g80_soom using?

I will say, as soon as I received my M3 a few weeks ago and sat in it, I’m very glad I went with the manual and not the automatic.
Soom is using the one of the clutch masters ones
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 06:25 PM   #46
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostboy23 View Post
What clutch is g80_soom using?

I will say, as soon as I received my M3 a few weeks ago and sat in it, I’m very glad I went with the manual and not the automatic.
He's using the FX400
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
The problem isn't the manual configuration it's ppl modding the engines power to a point the stock clutch can't hold and expecting OEM like solutions when the platform is so new.

It's unfortunate Clutchmasters screwd up but there are plenty of good clutch manufacturers who will dig into it if demend is there. It isn't a new story.
I don't think that's it at all. People modding the cars are aware it needs a clutch upgrade. But if the clutch isn't working properly that has nothing to do with wanting it to work like factory. It should work
Appreciate 1
vitipr171.00
      03-07-2023, 06:29 PM   #47
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtdragon View Post
I don't think that's it at all. People modding the cars are aware it needs a clutch upgrade. But if the clutch isn't working properly that has nothing to do with wanting it to work like factory. It should work
What I wanted to say was more that the "best clutch solution" hasn't been found yet. I saw this on other platforms, it sometimes took years for a company to come up with a model that was spot on. Surface material and finger design/tension have a huge impact on feel.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 06:36 PM   #48
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
What I wanted to say was more that the "best clutch solution" hasn't been found yet. I saw this on other platforms, it sometimes took years for a company to come up with a model that was spot on. Surface material and finger design/tension have a huge impact on feel.
I'm definitely not waiting lol
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 06:46 PM   #49
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Surface material and finger design/tension have a huge impact on feel.
Sure, but the complaints are not about "feel". They are about the car being damn near undrivable because they can't get into gear from a stop.

Clearly clutchmaster didn't put enough time/money into development before selling these clutchs for this platform. Customers are paying for it.
Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00
      03-08-2023, 09:54 AM   #50
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

if this is still a version of the gs6-53 gearbox architecture its possible to use a concentric hydraulic slave cylinder. in motorsport with this gearbox when moving to a twin and triple plate non self adjusting clutch you can adapt a concentric slave cylinder with a mounting ring inside the bellhousing. it should provide the right amount of release movement. bmw used to make the part oem its 21517750966 and the ring is 21518321627.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00
      03-08-2023, 12:08 PM   #51
Tall Tom Cruise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3

Is this MT the same one from the f8x gen? I thought I read somewhere it was.

Long shot and I doubt it, but I wonder if any of the upgraded clutch options for the f8x will bolt right up.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 09:53 AM   #52
mark_g80_mt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
if this is still a version of the gs6-53 gearbox architecture its possible to use a concentric hydraulic slave cylinder. in motorsport with this gearbox when moving to a twin and triple plate non self adjusting clutch you can adapt a concentric slave cylinder with a mounting ring inside the bellhousing. it should provide the right amount of release movement. bmw used to make the part oem its 21517750966 and the ring is 21518321627.
I shimmed the pivot and added to slave and still have a problem
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 11:38 AM   #53
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tom Cruise View Post
Is this MT the same one from the f8x gen? I thought I read somewhere it was.

Long shot and I doubt it, but I wonder if any of the upgraded clutch options for the f8x will bolt right up.
I thought the same thing, that the MT was shared with the F8X platform. I have a CM FX350 in my F87 and don't have any engagement issues. I do get some thrust bearing whine now though, likely due to improperly greased thrust bearing.

Keeping an eye on this thread as I want a G80 MT in the future.
      03-09-2023, 06:54 PM   #54
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

You need to have the gearbox pulled back out and figure out what is actually happening. Obviously you don’t want to fix the problem is it’s clutchmasters problem but you need to start by measuring the clutch stack height compared to the oem your problem may be there. How much heavier is the pedal with this? If the g80 is using a plastic slave cylinder I switched Over to a older style metal slave cylinder with my twin disc on my older m3 and it solved an issue I was Having with a really funky clutch engagement. I know You don’t want to have to reverse engineer this but you’re already involved and in the hole at this point.
Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00
      03-09-2023, 10:40 PM   #55
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Could you pull the slave for me and check the free play of the clutch fork? Do you know what orientation the throwout bearing was installed in? If the free play of the throwout is more than say a quarter inch it is way too much. The throwout bearing in the car from the factory is of a single position type in the "low" position. The unit that comes with the clutchmaster kits is of the dual position type which has a low and a high position. Unlike the factory setup, the new unit requires the throwout bearing at the high position because the stack up height is much shorter than that of the OEM clutch and flywheel.

I had personally lost my documentation for the installation of the FX350 and found that clutchmasters support gave me the wrong information, in using the throwout bearing at the "low" position mirroring the OEM setup, requiring me to remove the transmission again and put the throwout bearing in the correct setting.

The car was slipping the clutch and not disengaging fully, as the slave was running out of stroke before the pedal even hit the floor. The pedal also felt extremely funny. Never getting that over center feeling you get with a correctly operating pressure plate. Best way I can describe it is a brake pedal with some air in it.

The easiest way I found to check this was to remove the two bolts on the slave cylinder and see how far the helper spring pushes the slave cylinder out of the transmission. If the throwout bearing at the incorrect orientation it will only push itself out about half way. The correct way will push it out of the trans most of the way and be a huge fight to get back in. The other method will be be measuring the position of the clutch fork relative to the mounting flange of the slave on the bellhousing. I should have that measurement tomorrow night.

Let me say it this way, it's not an issue with the slave cylinder. If somebody is inexperienced with the BMW tilting clutch fork and the older two stage throwout bearing it's easy to understand why this error occured. You'd completely expect the throwout bearing would go in the exact same height as it came out.

Sorry about the word salad boys and girls.
Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00
      03-09-2023, 10:53 PM   #56
mark_g80_mt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moproblems View Post
Could you pull the slave for me and check the free play of the clutch fork? Do you know what orientation the throwout bearing was installed in? If the free play of the throwout is more than say a quarter inch it is way too much. The throwout bearing in the car from the factory is of a single position type in the "low" position. The unit that comes with the clutchmaster kits is of the dual position type which has a low and a high position. Unlike the factory setup, the new unit requires the throwout bearing at the high position because the stack up height is much shorter than that of the OEM clutch and flywheel.

I had personally lost my documentation for the installation of the FX350 and found that clutchmasters support gave me the wrong information, in using the throwout bearing at the "low" position mirroring the OEM setup, requiring me to remove the transmission again and put the throwout bearing in the correct setting.

The car was slipping the clutch and not disengaging fully, as the slave was running out of stroke before the pedal even hit the floor.

The easiest way I found to check this was to remove the two bolts on the slave cylinder and see how far the helper spring pushes the slave cylinder out of the transmission. If the throwout bearing at the incorrect orientation it will only push itself out about half way. The correct way will push it out of the trans most of the way and be a huge fight to get back in. The other method will be be measuring the position of the clutch fork relative to the mounting flange of the slave on the bellhousing. I should have [...]
We measured the travel and low and high position, tried so many things to the point that I’m becoming a clutch master myself(Which is not something I was interested in). Obv the R&D was not very extensive since so many people are in the same boat. The F and G manual transmissions are different and you can tell by the first sign = the length of the pivot fork.

I am not a mechanic and all of this has taken a lot of my time. I’m done with clutch masters at this point I am moving on and just going to wait for something better. I am not supposed to be doing any of this.

Waiting for a refund at this point.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 07:31 AM   #57
kaveh_h
Save the manual
United_States
Rep
Drives: Save the manual

Quote:

The car was slipping the clutch and not disengaging fully, as the slave was running out of stroke before the pedal even hit the floor. The pedal also felt extremely funny. Never getting that over center feeling you get with a correctly operating pressure plate. Best way I can describe it is a brake pedal with some air in it.

The easiest way I found to check this was to remove the two bolts on the slave cylinder and see how far the helper spring pushes the slave cylinder out of the transmission. If the throwout bearing at the incorrect orientation it will only push itself out about half way. The correct way will push it out of the trans most of the way and be a huge fight to get back in. The other method will be be measuring the position of the clutch fork relative to the mounting flange of the slave on the bellhousing. I should have that measurement tomorrow night.

Let me say it this way, it's not an issue with the slave cylinder. If somebody is inexperienced with the BMW tilting clutch fork and the older two stage throwout bearing it's easy to understand why this error occured. You'd completely expect the throwout bearing would go in the exact same height as it came out.

Sorry about the word salad boys and girls.

So the throw out bearing that comes with FX350 has two settings? And it needs to be adjusted to high setting rather than the OEM like , low setting? Did you try this and did it work ?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 07:48 AM   #58
kaveh_h
Save the manual
United_States
Rep

Here is the best part about clutchmaster’s website. I posted a review for FX350 and it won’t even show up on their website….. fellow G8X manuals, buyer be aware.

I wish I saw this forum before pulling the trigger and buying the clutch master’s product. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

This has not been properly tested before releasing it to public. The fact that we have reverse engineer their product to figure out what’s wrong with the throw-out bearing or the clutch it self where the clutch doesn’t actually disengage, is really bad
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2023, 07:51 AM   #59
mark_g80_mt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
[QUOTE="kaveh_h;29930299"]Here is the best part about clutchmaster’s website. I posted a review for FX350 and it won’t even show up on their website….. fellow G8X manuals, buyer be aware.

I wish I saw this forum before pulling the trigger and buying the clutch master’s product. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

This has not been properly tested before releasing it to public. The fact that we have reverse engineer their product to figure out what’s wrong with the throw-out bearing or the clutch it self where the clutch doesn’t actually disengage, is really bad

Nothing works the clutch don’t fit the car
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 08:07 AM   #60
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

My clutch works just fine. If I had not lost the documentation it would not have required any more fumbling from me.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 08:09 AM   #61
kaveh_h
Save the manual
United_States
Rep

Btw does anyone know if the OEM BMW F10 M5 pressure plate and clutch will work with the stock flywheel for the G8X ? that clutch is designed to handle 575 hp and over 550lbs of tq.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 08:11 AM   #62
kaveh_h
Save the manual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My clutch works just fine. If I had not lost the documentation it would not have required any more fumbling from me.

Sorry, do you mean it works fine after you change the "settings" for the throw-out bearing to high? I am trying to understand you correctly so that if it is in fact a setting within the CM FX350's throw-out bearing, ill have the dealership pull the gearbox back and adjust it to high setting.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 08:14 AM   #63
mark_g80_mt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Your one of the lucky few! Your the third person I came across that actually has this clutch working, all others have issues with engagement and disengament.

One of the shops I used to try figuring this out said that all of these clutches don’t fit but the end user might not know it.

Can you share a video of your engagement into first off a stop?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 08:15 AM   #64
mark_g80_mt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaveh_h View Post
Sorry, do you mean it works fine after you change the "settings" for the throw-out bearing to high? I am trying to understand you correctly so that if it is in fact a setting within the CM FX350's throw-out bearing, ill have the dealership pull the gearbox back and adjust it to high setting.

It’s supposed to be on high setting
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 08:35 AM   #65
kaveh_h
Save the manual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_g80_mt View Post
It’s supposed to be on high setting
So it's adjustable manually? I'll admit that I never looked at it and I basically handed the entire kit to the tech at BMW .... if it is adjustable then ill have them pull the gearbox back and make sure it is on high setting.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 11:32 AM   #66
mark_g80_mt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaveh_h View Post
So it's adjustable manually? I'll admit that I never looked at it and I basically handed the entire kit to the tech at BMW .... if it is adjustable then ill have them pull the gearbox back and make sure it is on high setting.
There is a long side and short side, the long side is marked and I’m sure the tech put it in like that already.
Appreciate 1
kaveh_h64.50