home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-23-2024, 02:12 PM   #1
emthreepa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Orange Engine Coolant Light

Is the orange engine coolant light safe to drive on and red engine coolant light would not be safe to drive on?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 03:05 PM   #2
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Engine coolant level is LOW, that’s what it means. You’re losing coolant somehow, either a leak due to a core penetration from a rock or something up front or I/C core leak in the intake system, but those are rare for this platform. When did this happen and why aren’t you just checking the level and topping it off? If you’re not mechanically capable, then take it to the dealer to diagnose and fix before more severe problems happens. I guess I’m having a hard time grasping why you’re asking if it’s OK to drive on a low coolant level warning light? More context please… either stop driving it or top it off monitor the level and if it drops again, you definitely have a leak you need to address.
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602215.50
      03-23-2024, 03:11 PM   #3
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Also I dunno if there is Orange and Red. I think you just get message “check control: refill coolant” ?
So yea definitely need to address and not drive around and ignore.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 04:06 PM   #4
Adler11th
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Do you feel sweet smell from engine bay or inside the car? I had 540 on long trip around west coast where I got coolant level low notification, checked both expansion tanks and one of them was below normal level but nothing too crazy, I stopped by nearest store and got coolant, added to the car. Earlier b58’s were known to loose coolant a bit. Now temp gage newer went above normal operating temp, and I continued my trip for another 2k miles after that with no issues. There was no smell or visible leaks, I think it was due to faulty coolant cap.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 04:19 PM   #5
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

^^^ Ain’t no B58s in the M cars bro. Take that weak shit outa here. 🤣😝
Appreciate 1
M_Torx328.00
      03-23-2024, 04:37 PM   #6
emthreepa
Private First Class
Rep

There are no temp problems. Dealer is saying orange light means low and should go Monday to dealer to have coolant added - red light means should not drive.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2024, 04:44 PM   #7
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

If you’re in a hot climate you could also just throw in some distilled water (MUST BE distilled) and you’ll be fine. You don’t have to be at a perfect 50/50 mix, especially in hot areas of the country.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 07:21 PM   #8
Adler11th
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
My bad for assuming coolant tank caps exist on s58. /s

But to the point I was sharing personal experience when I got coolant low warning without any major issues. From previous b48, 2 b58s, and s58 that I currently own, only one car did it, and it happened to have b58.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:01 PM   #9
markoz28
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 340i, BMW 2020 M340i,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Bro, relax
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 08:41 AM   #10
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Mine needs coolant added every year and I take it into the dealer to do it. They've done two pressure tests so far with no leaks found. I'm told it's working as expected and we should expect to lose coolant over time.

This must be the cool, new thing as engines consuming oil isn't cool anymore.
      03-25-2024, 03:36 PM   #11
emthreepa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Mine needs coolant added every year and I take it into the dealer to do it. They've done two pressure tests so far with no leaks found. I'm told it's working as expected and we should expect to lose coolant over time.

This must be the cool, new thing as engines consuming oil isn't cool anymore.
I had charge pipes changed this past week and it requires a flush of the coolant system. I was told that sometimes after flushing the system after a few days there is an air pocket released and you need to add more coolant.
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      03-25-2024, 03:44 PM   #12
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by emthreepa View Post
I had charge pipes changed this past week and it requires a flush of the coolant system. I was told that sometimes after flushing the system after a few days there is an air pocket released and you need to add more coolant.
That makes sense. Even vacuuming filling coolant, you can still get some air bubbles.

However, mine never got to the low coolant warning stage as I've caught it early. I had a thermostat fail in first few months and we've had to add coolant once a year since then. I bring it in each time to establish history with the issue because I'm assuming they'll announce a fix for some defect causing this while I'm just out of warranty.
      03-25-2024, 10:18 PM   #13
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
That makes sense. Even vacuuming filling coolant, you can still get some air bubbles.

However, mine never got to the low coolant warning stage as I've caught it early. I had a thermostat fail in first few months and we've had to add coolant once a year since then. I bring it in each time to establish history with the issue because I'm assuming they'll announce a fix for some defect causing this while I'm just out of warranty.
Considering it’s once a year, I’m willing to bet you’ve got a small leak somewhere caused by your thermostat issue when they happened, either bad install on the new one or linked to it or some other issue with the engine if you overheated it badly enough when the thermostat failed. Once a year top off is so slow that you wouldn’t notice it unless you seriously looked for residue, but even then, it’s super minor. If you didn’t have this coolant level issue before the thermostat replacement work, then you shouldn’t have had it afterwards either.
Appreciate 0