BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-17-2021, 05:39 AM   #353
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
What has advancement in technology got to do with AWD/RWD choice?
That's the same as saying motorcyclists that didn't embrace the quad bike are living in the past.
No, a motorcycle is just the pure form, as is a RWD chassis.

To an enthusiast that seeks out a nicely balanced RWD platform, an xDrive is just mind numbingly boring to drive.
So what happens if there is an also nicely balanced AWD platform that is faster than the RWD counter part ?

Would the AWD enthusiast be less enthusiast cause it's not as purist as the RWD one, even though it's faster?

It's very similar to the point you can make with Manual vs Automatic... People usually tend to attach to what they know and resist change.... I guess it's human nature
There are different types of enthusiast.

On AWD, there are such vehicles. Lamborghini Huracan for example. Faster as an AWD, but the 'enthusiast' models are the RWD versions. Same for Porsche Turbo vs GT2 for example. The GT2 would undoubtedly be faster as an AWD, but Porsche know what the hard core driving enthusiast wants.

AWD is a worse compromise in a FR platform in terms of driver involvement, the two examples I've mentioned above are rear weight biased platforms that don't significantly suffer from addition weight moved forward. G80 as well as other FR models becomes a nose heavy platform with the tame driving characteristics that come from that.
How can an enthusiast rejoice a platform that for other than 0-40mph traction performance is worse in every other single aspect?

Sure we are not in a racing category and people adapt to what they are steering, so it's fine that people choose the AWD version for their own needs. But a pure RWD enthusiast does know the difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 06:27 AM   #354
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:

On AWD, there are such vehicles. Lamborghini Huracan for example. Faster as an AWD, but the 'enthusiast' models are the RWD versions. Same for Porsche Turbo vs GT2 for example. The GT2 would undoubtedly be faster as an AWD, but Porsche know what the hard core driving enthusiast wants.

AWD is a worse compromise in a FR platform in terms of driver involvement, the two examples I've mentioned above are rear weight biased platforms that don't significantly suffer from addition weight moved forward. G80 as well as other FR models becomes a nose heavy platform with the tame driving characteristics that come from that.
How can an enthusiast rejoice a platform that for other than 0-40mph traction performance is worse in every other single aspect?

Sure we are not in a racing category and people adapt to what they are steering, so it's fine that people choose the AWD version for their own needs. But a pure RWD enthusiast does know the difference.
Um….. the added weight (from what I was told by BMW) on the AWD is like 90lbs. And if you hate it you can turn it off and make the car RWD only. So there’s that.

I’ll be honest. This argument is pretty confusing to me. Id bet my firstborn that the first M3 didn’t have heads up display, Apple CarPlay or heated seats. In a serious question how does that fit into the purists view?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 10:30 AM   #355
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

Oh these arguments about Auto vs. Manual and RWD vs. AWD... All I read is people talking about their preferences and trying to push their opinions onto others

Funny that some even make claims about the AWD being worse in everything except launch whereas no magazine or yourtubers have even published a single review to understand how it feels on the road and on the track, how it handles corners, whether the extra 100 lbs is noticeable, whether it has more understeer, etc...

Some like to label the Manual and/or RWD versions as the enthusiast versions or the purist versions just to make themselves feel special. Even the manual RWD version has a ton of tech and sensors and traction control and stability control features, etc... They're all high tech high performance cars and while one may be more engaging to someone, it is a slower car to someone else.

I was a die hard manual guy but at some point I decided to switch to auto. I was always a RWD guy but I decided to try AWD. Does that make me less enthusiast or purist? To some maybe, but what if someone like me has a couple of other manual cars in their garage, or even a dedicated, stripped-out, manual, RWD track car?

It doesn't matter, just enjoy the version you prefer and let others enjoy what they prefer.

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 3
Gfit2716.00
Patton2502939.50
heavyD^23688.50
      08-17-2021, 11:05 AM   #356
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

[QUOTE=M3AWD;27930062]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post

Um….. the added weight (from what I was told by BMW) on the AWD is like 90lbs. And if you hate it you can turn it off and make the car RWD only. So there's that.
50kg's or 110lbs apparently.

Switching it off is not exactly the same as not having it in the first place. You don't get to switch off 110lbs mostly on the front axle, drivetrain losses, corrupt steering, etc. But sure it gives that edgy RWD drug that rear drivers crave an option…..occasionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AWD View Post
Oh these arguments about Auto vs. Manual and RWD vs. AWD... All I read is people talking about their preferences and trying to push their opinions onto others

Funny that some even make claims about the AWD being worse in everything except launch whereas no magazine or yourtubers have even published a single review to understand how it feels on the road and on the track, how it handles corners, whether the extra 100 lbs is noticeable, whether it has more understeer, etc...

Some like to label the Manual and/or RWD versions as the enthusiast versions or the purist versions just to make themselves feel special. Even the manual RWD version has a ton of tech and sensors and traction control and stability control features, etc... They're all high tech high performance cars and while one may be more engaging to someone, it is a slower car to someone else.

I was a die hard manual guy but at some point I decided to switch to auto. I was always a RWD guy but I decided to try AWD. Does that make me less enthusiast or purist? To some maybe, but what if someone like me has a couple of other manual cars in their garage, or even a dedicated, stripped-out, manual, RWD track car?

It doesn't matter, just enjoy the version you prefer and let others enjoy what they prefer.
They don't have to, it's pure physics. Drivetrain losses, extra weight will have an immediate impact on performance.

You can choose and drive what you want. There were some posts to say RWD is somehow redundant because of xDrive. I'm just saying that isn't true.
Appreciate 2
CanAutM321121.00
JTO245276.00
      08-17-2021, 11:15 AM   #357
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisfan View Post
They don't have to, it's pure physics. Drivetrain losses, extra weight will have an immediate impact on performance.

You can choose and drive what you want. There were some posts to say rwd is somehow redundant because of xdrive. I'm just saying that isn't true.
Pure physics also says there's additional traction from the front wheels that's going to help the AWD version come out of a corner faster. On some tracks AWD may even do faster lap times. I don't think we can assume and jump into conclusions yet. Also think of the enthusiasts and purists that want to tune their cars and push more whp - the AWD version will definitely be more popular in that market as it'll put the power down much better

I'm not saying AWD is better than RWD, again it's all about preference and I'm happy we get both options. Same with Manual & Auto

On another note I agree with you that the RWD version is not redundant even if the AWD version has a RWD mode. The M3 has always been a RWD car and there will always be demand for the RWD version even after AWD becomes more available.

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 11:33 AM   #358
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
AWD >>>> but thankfully they still make a manual
Appreciate 1
MTM3641.00
      08-17-2021, 02:36 PM   #359
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp AWD

Quote:

So what happens if the AWD is actually faster all around?
Launches better AND has better lap times? What will be the argument then? An AWD with carbon seats and CC Brakes isn't going to be that much heavier than a rwd with normal seats and normal brakes.
I can't wait to see some heads up action with rwd vs AWD on the track. It will be interesting.
      08-17-2021, 03:04 PM   #360
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadHater View Post
So what happens if the AWD is actually faster all around? Launches better AND has better lap times?
My guess is that it will vary. On a shorter, more technical track--especially in anything other than warm, dry pavement--the AWD will likely prevail. But on longer tracks, the difference may be negligible or even favor the RWD.

Quote:
What will be the argument then?
The "argument" would be the same as it is for the 6MT, namely that it's more traditional and has a more pure feel...even if it's not the fastest.

Quote:
It will be interesting.
It will.
      08-17-2021, 03:41 PM   #361
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So what happens if the AWD is actually faster all around?
Launches better AND has better lap times? What will be the argument then? An AWD with carbon seats and CC Brakes isn't going to be that much heavier than a rwd with normal seats and normal brakes.
I can't wait to see some heads up action with rwd vs AWD on the track. It will be interesting.
It doesn't change anything to what I'm saying. People will always have preferences and budgets.

Appreciate 1
      08-17-2021, 07:01 PM   #362
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Xdrive FDG

1/4 mile time yet???
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 08:14 PM   #363
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

I don't want to get into 6MT/Auto/RWD/AWD argument. i've daily driven and raced all those combinations and have ordered Xdrive comp this time. I came here to point out that turning AWD to RWD is not as simple as that because RWD mode requires DSC to be turned off completely and unless you specc'd M Professional option you cannot configure M Traction Control either.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 09:45 PM   #364
andrewsd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3c

The biggest pro of the RWD is I've gotten to drive it for the past couple months. If I wanted AWD I'd probably have to wait until the fall. If not longer. Inventory is tight!

Plus- everything will be AWD soon enough with electric around the corner. This will probably be my last RWD car… and I love it. Its balanced and playful… not at all short on grip.

With that said I'm hoping the AWD doesn't compromise anything, it'll likely be my next car.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 10:25 PM   #365
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
I don't want to get into 6MT/Auto/RWD/AWD argument. i've daily driven and raced all those combinations and have ordered Xdrive comp this time. I came here to point out that turning AWD to RWD is not as simple as that because RWD mode requires DSC to be turned off completely and unless you specc'd M Professional option you cannot configure M Traction Control either.
Yeah... don't quite get why they force DSC off for RWD... DSC could definitely be a separate option..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 07:42 AM   #366
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
Which is why the M Drive Professional is a must have option on the AWD.
      08-18-2021, 01:38 PM   #367
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:

There are no purists here. Just enthusiasts and snobs. People that post in absolutes that a specific transmission or drivetrain setup is superior are snobs.
Appreciate 6
M3AWD3183.00
Patton2502939.50
bri10425943.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
JTO245276.00
      08-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #368
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
There are no purists here. Just enthusiasts and snobs. People that post in absolutes that a specific transmission or drivetrain setup is superior are snobs.
Well put
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 07:03 PM   #369
Dr. Ice
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991.2 C2S

Quote:

Then they know why they finish second😏
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 07:44 PM   #370
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Which is why the M Drive Professional is a must have option on the AWD.
Agree but it appears to be not clearly pointed out by either BMWs website or Sales Advisors.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 07:46 PM   #371
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah... don't quite get why they force DSC off for RWD... DSC could definitely be a separate option..
yup, which is how I thought it would work until i read the details. Not sure why it is setup this way.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 01:55 AM   #372
Steve Gill
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 xDrive, F82 GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerHellcat View Post
1/4 mile time yet???
Unfortunately not. Weather was bad, my pads none existent after 2 trackdays and now the car is in Germany. Next update will be a lap of the Nurburgring
Appreciate 4
solstice5457.50
Hanibal74343.50
Simon H876.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
      08-23-2021, 06:33 AM   #373
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
The whole point of putting the AWD M3/4 in RWD mode is to drift, which DSC will prevent.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00
      08-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #374
Oejsup
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmy View Post
My 2021 RWD was totaled and I’m getting a 2022 AWD. That was the only thing I had any doubt about when I ordered my 2022 and this is like the universes way of correcting it maybe?

For what it’s worth I was MORE than contempt with the speed and power of the RWD, and when I had it I didn’t have any desire or thoughts of AWD because I was way too busy enjoying it. I wouldn’t regret or think on it too hard for anyone who already has (or even plans to get RWD) in the future as it’s plenty capable. I’m definitely excited to try out the AWD though! Should hopefully come in October (build week 36).

Was really hoping for some reviews by now though
How’d you total your car?
Appreciate 0