BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-14-2021, 02:15 PM   #331
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
I love the people saying AWD weight penalty is the reason for not getting it. It can be switched to RWD so driving experience can't be a reason and the fact that it only adds 110 lbs seems like a no brainer. 1 passenger adds more than that. And what's 110 more lbs on a 3800 lb car. Mercedes was over 4,000 without AWD.

Now if you say manual vs auto, 100% I get why you wouldn't go AWD. For 2022 and beyond I feel like it's either AWD or manual, RWD comps would have to be the smallest segment. Actually surprised they are even making them.
Well put. It is a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 04:02 PM   #332
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:
I love the people saying AWD weight penalty is the reason for not getting it. It can be switched to RWD so driving experience can't be a reason and the fact that it only adds 110 lbs seems like a no brainer. 1 passenger adds more than that. And what's 110 more lbs on a 3800 lb car. Mercedes was over 4,000 without AWD.

Now if you say manual vs auto, 100% I get why you wouldn't go AWD. For 2022 and beyond I feel like it's either AWD or manual, RWD comps would have to be the smallest segment. Actually surprised they are even making them.
I think getting caught up in the hype of the NEW M3 made some people pull the trigger on the RWD Comp.
Some of them have been enjoying their cars for a while now, but I'm sure most of them would have gotten AWD if it was available at the time.
SickGTR1082.00
      08-14-2021, 07:12 PM   #333
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadHater View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I think getting caught up in the hype of the NEW M3 made some people pull the trigger on the RWD Comp.
Some of them have been enjoying their cars for a while now, but I'm sure most of them would have gotten AWD if it was available at the time.
Not necessarily. AWD is not for the purist.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 07:19 PM   #334
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Somehow I think a majority of them would have given up their ideals/convictions if the AWD arrived first and the RWD later.
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00
      08-14-2021, 07:19 PM   #335
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yup so much so I’m trading in mine for an AWD.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13477.50
CadHater767.50
      08-14-2021, 09:08 PM   #336
dimmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp AWD IOMG

My 2021 RWD was totaled and I’m getting a 2022 AWD. That was the only thing I had any doubt about when I ordered my 2022 and this is like the universes way of correcting it maybe?

For what it’s worth I was MORE than contempt with the speed and power of the RWD, and when I had it I didn’t have any desire or thoughts of AWD because I was way too busy enjoying it. I wouldn’t regret or think on it too hard for anyone who already has (or even plans to get RWD) in the future as it’s plenty capable. I’m definitely excited to try out the AWD though! Should hopefully come in October (build week 36).

Was really hoping for some reviews by now though
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 09:09 PM   #337
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Quote:
Yup so much so I’m trading in mine for an AWD.
You definitely won't be the last. Most just won't admit to it. Good for you
Appreciate 4
Patton2502939.50
kjx3204.50
Gfit2716.00
Oejsup97.50
      08-14-2021, 09:15 PM   #338
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
I’m also happy that I can get skyscraper gray and Fiona red.

This car is going to be sick.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 09:27 PM   #339
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yup so much so I'm trading in mine for an AWD.
He's the fourth guy I know who's looking into it, lol.

Might be a wave of rwd models available soon. CPO lol
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 01:42 AM   #340
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp AWD

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're right. The purist will be getting the 6 speed manual, not an automatic.
JTO245276.00
      08-15-2021, 04:26 AM   #341
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You're right. The purist will be getting the 6 speed manual, not an automatic.
I was talking about the competition version, which doesn't come in manual.

I completely understand owners in snowy regions to be buying AWD, the compromise makes sense, but there are many performance car enthusiasts that would opt for the RWD version, because it is also the more involving to drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 12:32 AM   #342
andrewsd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3c

I lived with m xdrive for 3 years with the f90 and loved it. No complaints. Those experiencing it for the first time will enjoy the launches.

In a RWD g80 now and I don't miss the xdrive. The g80 hooks up great and it feels awesome to drive. I'm just not worried about the slower launches, I don't race people from stoplights.

Not sure why anyone outside of those who drag race or plan to tune would trade in the RWD an for AWD. (I understand ticking the box from the start though).

Plus we don't know what you lose in the AWD yet. Maybe very little, or maybe a bit more in handling or 60-120 etc. we'll see.

After I got the 3 sec launches out of my system in the f90 I didn't care if the kid in the mustang beat me.. let him go tell his friends he's faster than an M5
Appreciate 1
bri10425943.00
      08-16-2021, 10:03 AM   #343
AlecX5
Lifetime Bimmer Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsd View Post
I lived with m xdrive for 3 years with the f90 and loved it. No complaints. Those experiencing it for the first time will enjoy the launches.

In a RWD g80 now and I don't miss the xdrive. The g80 hooks up great and it feels awesome to drive. I'm just not worried about the slower launches, I don't race people from stoplights.

Not sure why anyone outside of those who drag race or plan to tune would trade in the RWD an for AWD. (I understand ticking the box from the start though).
I lived with an F80 here in Minnesota for 3 years. Winters really SUCKED. Even with good snow tires I could barely get out of the cul-de-sac. I swore off rear drive from that. LOVED the M3 the rest of the year. I was all set to buy a Stelvio QV when I realized you can order an M3 with xDrive. That's all I needed to hear. Found a car with the spec I wanted waiting in port. Put down a retainer. Now just have to wait shipping. Really looking forward to driving this car year round. Even when it's really shitty out.

alec
      08-16-2021, 11:27 AM   #344
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Plus we don't know what you lose in the AWD yet. Maybe very little, or maybe a bit more in handling or 60-120 etc. we'll see.

After I got the 3 sec launches out of my system in the f90 I didn't care if the kid in the mustang beat me.. let him go tell his friends he's faster than an M5
Well first off it’s not costing me a dime to flip it other than the money to redo the ceramic coating. Second it’s only costing me time without the car which does suck and I calculate it to be two or three months. So there are no negatives other than last time. But the positives are obvious. There are more color options available with the AWD both exterior and interior. I am now moving to skyscraper gray and Fiona red. Love it. Second let’s just face it the AWD is faster. Significantly faster. Now I do understand some people don’t care about that and that’s cool. But I do. And when we can tune these I can’t even fathom how much faster that will make it. You need AWD if you are going to significantly increase horsepower. Lastly I screwed up and didn’t order the M drive professional package last time. I’m getting it this time. So those are my reasons. I would never do it if I was going to take a big loss on my current one but they are in massive demand where I live and I will be getting all my money back except the ceramic coating labor.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 01:43 PM   #345
Dr. Ice
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991.2 C2S

Quote:
You show me a purist for any brand and I will show you someone that likes to live in the past. They would all be better off still riding a horse rather than a car😂
Appreciate 1
Gfit2716.00
      08-16-2021, 03:30 PM   #346
Ruyseart
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: M4 G82 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ice View Post
You show me a purist for any brand and I will show you someone that likes to live in the past. They would all be better off still riding a horse rather than a car😂
I disagree with that. I respect the point of view somebody could have about not considering M xDrive as a "pure" M. This may be true in some aspects.

Otherwise, the great thing is the right of choice we all have, if you want full purist, get the 6MT RWD, some intermediate thing would be the 8AT RWD where you can get the Competition, and lastly you got the 8AT AWD Competition for the better performance and all year round utility.

But all of them are good if owner is OK with the purchase.

If you want to be in the future get a Model S and drive a toaster, but to each his own.
      08-16-2021, 10:24 PM   #347
andrewsd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3c

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecM3 View Post
Quote:

I lived with an F80 here in Minnesota for 3 years. Winters really SUCKED. Even with good snow tires I could barely get out of the cul-de-sac. I swore off rear drive from that. LOVED the M3 the rest of the year. I was all set to buy a Stelvio QV when I realized you can order an M3 with xDrive. That's all I needed to hear. Found a car with the spec I wanted waiting in port. Put down a retainer. Now just have to wait shipping. Really looking forward to driving this car year round. Even when it's really shitty out.

alec
Good point. I'm in San Diego so I don't have the weather to consider
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 10:50 PM   #348
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Good point. I'm in San Diego so I don't have the weather to consider
Even if weather is no issue... for 100lbs i think I would take AWD hands down.. if you have the option for 2WD with the switch
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 11:01 PM   #349
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Purists don't really buy these cars new anyway. Most of these cars are sold new to leasees who drive them every day and don't care about any of this crap. I have a feeling in Canada there will almost no RWD sales once AWD comes out and the RWD used cars are going to be hard to get rid of. That is, until the "purists" get their hands on them in 5-10 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 12:20 AM   #350
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Purists don't really buy these cars new anyway. Most of these cars are sold new to leasees who drive them every day and don't care about any of this crap. I have a feeling in Canada there will almost no RWD sales once AWD comes out and the RWD used cars are going to be hard to get rid of. That is, until the "purists" get their hands on them in 5-10 years.
that's assuming there are enough "purists".... I have a feeling that RWD will be to AWD what Manual is to Automatics now...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 02:19 AM   #351
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ice View Post
Quote:
What has advancement in technology got to do with AWD/RWD choice?
That's the same as saying motorcyclists that didn't embrace the quad bike are living in the past.
No, a motorcycle is just the pure form, as is a RWD chassis.

To an enthusiast that seeks out a nicely balanced RWD platform, an xDrive is just mind numbingly boring to drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 02:45 AM   #352
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What has advancement in technology got to do with AWD/RWD choice?
That's the same as saying motorcyclists that didn't embrace the quad bike are living in the past.
No, a motorcycle is just the pure form, as is a RWD chassis.

To an enthusiast that seeks out a nicely balanced RWD platform, an xDrive is just mind numbingly boring to drive.
So what happens if there is an also nicely balanced AWD platform that is faster than the RWD counter part ?

Would the AWD enthusiast be less enthusiast cause it's not as purist as the RWD one, even though it's faster?

It's very similar to the point you can make with Manual vs Automatic... People usually tend to attach to what they know and resist change.... I guess it's human nature
Appreciate 0