03-06-2024, 12:20 PM   #23
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
If you’ve ever used race pads on the street then you’d better understand my comment about running CT XP compounds on the street which CT recommends not doing. Unless you can’t get/keep the brake pad temperature around 600 F or higher then you’re going to sound like a trash truck stopping. Race pads couldn’t care less about NVH. My comment had nothing to do with street pads being used on the streets. Have I dismissed your issues?

There’s no secret to installing brake pads properly into brake calipers. Fixed calipers pad swaps are pull pad retainers/guides and bridge bolt, use pads to push pistons back into caliper (after cleaning pistons before compressing them), remove old pads, drop in new pads, and reinstall pad retainers/guides and bridge bolt - where is there a secret in that? I’m not doing anything differently from anyone else. I don’t use any anti-squeal, anti-rattle, etc. products when installing pads, just a tiny amount of anti-seize on pad guides (doesn’t reduce/eliminate noise). I’m not keeping any brake job secrets from anyone. Hell, I’m not even a tech/mechanic and I have learned on my own how to do things on my cars.

Why not ask exmowner how he installed his CT 1521 pads in his g8x without noise? He must be keeping a secret.
Then it's even less relevant. Only one person mentioned running XP-12s, people who are running 1521s are the ones complaining about the rattling.

You saying these things and the reality don't match. No one with iSweeps, EBCs, OEM, etc are experiencing these rattling issues, yet there are multiple people with the Carbotechs that do.

And you very obviously were dismissive of people here with issues, directly quoting:

Quote:
If you’re running their XP12 race pad compound and are complaining about rattling and squealing, it’s the user’s fault, not the pads.
No one is complaining about squealing, there are physical noises that clearly shouldn't be happening that you, yourself, say you're not experiencing. One person even claims rattling is "normal" but your experience seems to disagree with this.

I agree with you that there's no secret to installing these, which let's me conclude these pads are not the optimal choices for the G8x line. Perhaps they've worked better for you on other products/cars, but not ever car is identical with brake pad installations and setups.
Appreciate 1
PDOT133.00
      03-06-2024, 12:20 PM   #24
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
I'm talking about the piece that's attached to the backing plate that from the oem pad. I apologize for the confusion.
They’d fully remove all old pad compound material and adhesive from the oem backing plate. Then the oem backing plate would be prep’rd and a new pad compound material bonded to the oem backing plate. They would never reuse old/existing pad compound material on a new/repurposed steel backing plate. I’ve done this with three different brake pad manufacturers, including CT, to make pads for the S2000 (stock) when it was first released, e46 M3 (stock), e92 M3 (PFC race caliper) and f82 (AP Racing caliper) and had no issues on track with any pad delamination, pad chunking, etc. It’s a standard process for several pad manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 12:43 PM   #25
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Then it's even less relevant. Only one person mentioned running XP-12s, people who are running 1521s are the ones complaining about the rattling.

You saying these things and the reality don't match. No one with iSweeps, EBCs, OEM, etc are experiencing these rattling issues, yet there are multiple people with the Carbotechs that do.

And you very obviously were dismissive of people here with issues, directly quoting:

No one is complaining about squealing, there are physical noises that clearly shouldn't be happening that you, yourself, say you're not experiencing. One person even claims rattling is "normal" but your experience seems to disagree with this.

I agree with you that there's no secret to installing these, which let's me conclude these pads are not the optimal choices for the G8x line. Perhaps they've worked better for you on other products/cars, but not ever car is identical with brake pad installations and setups.
I have not been dismissive of anyone running 1521 street pads. I asked the one member what he was expecting from me. I don’t work for CT, I’ve been a user of their 1521 street compound and XP race compounds for close to three decades. I’ve had no issues and that’s all that I’ve stated. Regarding one comment about XP pads and street use, it is common for race pads from several manufacturers to rattle in fixed and sliding calipers. It’s a known and accepted issue for track/race pads. NVH and track/race pads are different from NVH on street pads. When I recommended 1521 pads for the g8x I was unaware of rattling issues. I am aware of multiple g8x and g87 owners running them with no issues. All parts manufactured have tolerances. The difference between a pad rattling and not rattling are measured in mils so a caliper with wide pad guides made on the high side of tolerance stack-ups and a pad backing plate made on the small end of tolerances can easily lead to a rattle. It sounds like CT’s backing plate nominal dimensions are already on the small side and, therefore, it results in the majority of users having rattling issues. However, I have not recommended the use of CT 1521 or any other CT pad since finding out about the rattling issues. Clearly it doesn’t matter what I say and you’re going to attack anything I write yet I still don’t know how I’ve wronged you in anyway.

G8x owners do NOT use CarboTech pads. I apologize for recommending the 1521 pad.

Last edited by M3SQRD; 03-06-2024 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 03:21 PM   #26
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
I have not been dismissive of anyone running 1521 street pads. I asked the one member what he was expecting from me. I don’t work for CT, I’ve been a user of their 1521 street compound and XP race compounds for close to three decades. I’ve had no issues and that’s all that I’ve stated. Regarding one comment about XP pads and street use, it is common for race pads from several manufacturers to rattle in fixed and sliding calipers. It’s a known and accepted issue for track/race pads. NVH and track/race pads are different from NVH on street pads. When I recommended 1521 pads for the g8x I was unaware of rattling issues. I am aware of multiple g8x and g87 owners running them with no issues. All parts manufactured have tolerances. The difference between a pad rattling and not rattling are measured in mils so a caliper with wide pad guides made on the high side of tolerance stack-ups and a pad backing plate made on the small end of tolerances can easily lead to a rattle. It sounds like CT’s backing plate nominal dimensions are already on the small side and, therefore, it results in the majority of users having rattling issues. However, I have not recommended the use of CT 1521 or any other CT pad since finding out about the rattling issues. Clearly it doesn’t matter what I say and you’re going to attack anything I write yet I still don’t know how I’ve wronged you in anyway.

G8x owners do NOT use CarboTech pads. I apologize for recommending the 1521 pad.
I was just commenting on the thread and had no intention of antagonizing you or anyone else.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
Skyscraper2221.50
      03-06-2024, 03:42 PM   #27
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
I was just commenting on the thread and had no intention of antagonizing you or anyone else.
Your questions and comments were fine. I do understand your frustration from ordering a set of more expensive pads and expecting great performance with minimal dust but instead you get a set of pads that produce unbearable pad slap + a company that’s not willing to address your issues/concerns. I’ve been there plenty of times with different companies. I hope things get resolved to your satisfaction and you find a pad that exceed your criteria.
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3565.50
      03-06-2024, 05:41 PM   #28
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Your questions and comments were fine. I do understand your frustration from ordering a set of more expensive pads and expecting great performance with minimal dust but instead you get a set of pads that produce unbearable pad slap + a company that’s not willing to address your issues/concerns. I’ve been there plenty of times with different companies. I hope things get resolved to your satisfaction and you find a pad that exceed your criteria.
Thanks for responding and answering my questions, no harm done here.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 12:44 PM   #29
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

what did I say? I stated my personal experience with CT 1521 street compound. 100% truthful. You do realize all of the CT 1521 pads I’ve used have a pad shape that’s different from the g8x pad shape? Have I personally used the g8x pad shape? No. My recommendation to use 1521 was before I was told about the pad slap issue. Please show me where I’ve recommended using the 1521 pad on the g80, g82 & g83 since reading this thread. Also, I suppose exmowner is lying to everyone in this thread because he’s an actual g8x owner using CT 1521 pads without pad slap. It appears CT replaced his first set of pads with a set without pad slap. Apparently, CT revised their backing plate geometry roughly a year or so ago and it addressed the pad slap issue. It’s clearly back for an unknown reason (e.g., did a caliper manufacturing process/tolerance change, did CT change its CNA plasma cutting table, etc.). With no increase in pad slap from outer brake pad manufacturers then it would seem to be a CT issue but again it doesn’t happen on every install g8x. So it’s hard to address an issue when it doesn’t happen on every install of 1521 pads on a g8x.

You must have reading comprehension issues because you quote my comment about XP12 when in fact there is one person in this thread complaining about using xp12 on the STREET and expects CT to do something about his issues.

. I’m dealing with this now and they’re not budging. I love the performance (xp-12) but this has put a sour taste in my month

So anyone running a RACE compound on the street and is complaining about noise, and I’ll say it again, has no one to blame but themselves. Why would CT give a refund, or address noise issues on a pad that they clearly state should NOT be used on the street? Here’s the description of the XP12 compound from CT’s website:

XP12

Another highly successful XP™ series compound with an excellent initial bite, torque and fade resistance over and above the XP10™ compound. XP12™ has temperature range of 250°F to 1850°F+ (121°C to 1010°C+). The XP12™ has that excellent Carbotech™ release and modulation that has made all other Carbotech™ compounds so successful. The XP12™ is more rotor aggressive than XP10™, but compared to the competition the XP12™ is still very rotor friendly. NOT FOR STREET USE!

So who’s to blame - CT or user? Should CT refund his pads? Should CT address an issue that EVERY race/track pad has when used on the STREET? If you knew anything about brake pads, you’d know why this occurs and why it CANNOT be addressed. My “dismissive” comment was directed at this one person. Please show me a single “dismissive” comment I’ve made to anyone using the 1521 compound.

I was referring to the 10s, if not 100s, of threads complaining about stock pads squealing extremely loudly, especially when coming to a stop. BMW has done absolutely nothing to address this well known issue. So squealing can occur with any semi-metallic brake pad. Again, my experience has not been with the g8x so does that not make it true? You’re not complaining about pad squealing so does that mean all of the g8x owners’ squealing complaints aren’t real because you aren’t experiencing it? Again, I stated my own personal experience with the 1521 street pad on non-g8x cars. I never once said rattling is “normal” for the 1521 pad. Am I now being blamed for some other forum member’s comment?

It’s clear that a much greater percentage of owners using the 1521 pad are experiencing pad slap issues than the percentage of owners that are not experiencing issues with the 1521 pad. Depends on your definition of optimal. The pads you’ve quoted are mostly, if not all, ceramic pads. Ceramic pads do not work well with increasing temperatures and tend to have a highly digressive friction coefficient vs. temperature curve. If you’re looking for a solid performance street compound then you want a semi-metallic pad. There are not many low dust true street performance pads on the market.

Last edited by M3SQRD; 03-07-2024 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0