BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-18-2023, 02:16 PM   #89
GrannyShiftG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate.G82 View Post
I own a manual and have driven the comp. What questions did you have?
Which one is better

2011 E90 335i xDrive
1996 E36 318i
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 02:34 PM   #90
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBII G82 6MT

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenssmart View Post
Which one is better
Well... that's a loaded question LOL

For most drivers, comp is better. Especially with X-drive. More power, you're in the power band more, and the #1 thing that irks me the most is that you can tell this platform was built with the auto in mind. I'm not trying to bash the manual. But the feeling and response you get from the auto confirmed (for me) that the manual was a side project designed to get our attention. I AM grateful we have it, nonetheless.

The only benefit you get with the manual over an auto is the fiddly thing in the middle of the car and the third pedal. If you are looking for a car that has that, close to 500hp, new tech, 4-5 seats, $100k or less, and is NOT a Blackwing, then this is the car for you. I still sometimes scope out for ct5bw's. The manuals on those blows ours out the water.

I know I sound super negative, but I truly love mine. That's why I'm so hard on it. There's a lot of things I need to do to make it feel better, to really hit that manual itch for me. I've been spending the last year of ownership falling in love with it and compiling a list of mods I'd like to get done. I hope this answers your question.

p.s. I did have fun with the auto. The paddles were fine for me and gave an appropriate amount of engagement. I could have swung either way, but I chose manual so my wife can't drive it (jk).
Appreciate 8
      08-18-2023, 02:49 PM   #91
GrannyShiftG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Well... that's a loaded question LOL

For most drivers, comp is better. Especially with X-drive. More power, you're in the power band more, and the #1 thing that irks me the most is that you can tell this platform was built with the auto in mind. I'm not trying to bash the manual. But the feeling and response you get from the auto confirmed (for me) that the manual was a side project designed to get our attention. I AM grateful we have it, nonetheless.

The only benefit you get with the manual over an auto is the fiddly thing in the middle of the car and the third pedal. If you are looking for a car that has that, close to 500hp, new tech, 4-5 seats, $100k or less, and is NOT a Blackwing, then this is the car for you. I still sometimes scope out for ct5bw's. The manuals on those blows ours out the water.

I know I sound super negative, but I truly love mine. That's why I'm so hard on it. There's a lot of things I need to do to make it feel better, to really hit that manual itch for me. I've been spending the last year of ownership falling in love with it and compiling a list of mods I'd like to get done. I hope this answers your question.

p.s. I did have fun with the auto. The paddles were fine for me and gave an appropriate amount of engagement. I could have swung either way, but I chose manual so my wife can't drive it (jk).
thank you for the detailed reply. Will you be tuning your vehicle? I just want the competition level of power, I'm not out chasing big numbers, would JB4 be good?

2011 E90 335i xDrive
1996 E36 318i
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 03:03 PM   #92
SubieRX
Registered
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT

Quote:
thank you for the detailed reply. Will you be tuning your vehicle? I just want the competition level of power, I'm not out chasing big numbers, would JB4 be good?
Am interested in this as well! Just picked up my G82 6MT a couple of a weeks ago and have a lot to learn.
Appreciate 1
Jim B1895.00
      08-18-2023, 03:06 PM   #93
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
I've actually been researching the JB4 as well. It came back on my mind thanks to the JB4 Review thread that popped up. From what others have said, if you want a mild bump to power then the Jb4 should be just fine. I'm most likely going to do that as I don't feel comfortable shipping out my ECU for two weeks.

My list of mods I'm thinking of getting are:

-A&A Equal length mid pipe and axle back
OR MAD single mid and axle back

-Mad front intakes

-JB4

-Kw v3 coils

I've spent the past year stock to see what I want out of this car and it really boiled down to making the car more lively. More lively intake and exhaust sounds, more lively power, and a nicer stance.
Appreciate 3
      08-18-2023, 03:09 PM   #94
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieRX View Post
Am interested in this as well! Just picked up my G82 6MT a couple of a weeks ago and have a lot to learn.
Congrats on the new car! My recommendation is to take your time with it. Maybe not a year like I have, but really learn the car and see what it offers you stock. Then, hit up Mike with x-ph once you know what you want. He always does right by the community.
Appreciate 1
SubieRX28.50
      08-18-2023, 03:15 PM   #95
hhkb
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3

You guys are so bold for modifying the G80. I haven’t gotten mine yet but I’m in sheer fear of the power coupled with a manual transmission 😬
      08-18-2023, 03:23 PM   #96
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkb View Post
You guys are so bold for modifying the G80. I haven’t gotten mine yet but I’m in sheer fear of the power coupled with a manual transmission ��
The S58 engine is simply amazing, imo. I've have had seat time in a good amount of turbo manual cars, and this one has felt the best. It revs out very similarly to an NA, it's predictable, it loves to be rev'd out. Once you get a good amount of seat time in yours it'll feel less intimidating. I honestly have more anxiety when it's stationary vs driving it. It has an electronic parking brake that's activated by a tiny little flipper. If I subconsciously put it on and get out of my car, I usually turn around and check to make sure I actually pulled it.
Appreciate 5
JessM36MT342.50
MT6722.00
golf4kal129.50
elkid23265.00
      08-18-2023, 04:57 PM   #97
hhkb
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The S58 engine is simply amazing, imo. I've have had seat time in a good amount of turbo manual cars, and this one has felt the best. It revs out very similarly to an NA, it's predictable, it loves to be rev'd out. Once you get a good amount of seat time in yours it'll feel less intimidating. I honestly have more anxiety when it's stationary vs driving it. It has an electronic parking brake that's activated by a tiny little flipper. If I subconsciously put it on and get out of my car, I usually turn around and check to make sure I actually pulled it.
After turning the car off do you put it in gear?
      08-18-2023, 05:19 PM   #98
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
It has an electronic parking brake that's activated by a tiny little flipper. If I subconsciously put it on and get out of my car, I usually turn around and check to make sure I actually pulled it.
Dude, this is me! I can't walk away without double-checking that I see the light after I've already stepped out of the car lol
Appreciate 2
Nate.G82521.00
Slowlives307.00
      08-18-2023, 05:33 PM   #99
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
Dude, this is me! I can't walk away without double-checking that I see the light after I've already stepped out of the car lol
I have no interest in doing donuts or hand-brake slides...this is the only reason I miss the physical handbrake. :-)
Appreciate 1
mcsquared766.00
      08-18-2023, 10:58 PM   #100
MT6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 '19 CTR '14 Accord MT6

I always park my G80 in gear, rearly use the electronic P break unless I am parking on a hill.

Drove a G82 M4 competition today, ZF8 shifts smooth & quick hell yeah the extra torque is in your face and spinning the tail often. Good driving experience no doubt.
Appreciate 1
Nate.G82521.00
      08-19-2023, 09:37 AM   #101
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT6 View Post
I always park my G80 in gear, rearly use the electronic P break unless I am parking on a hill.

Drove a G82 M4 competition today, ZF8 shifts smooth & quick hell yeah the extra torque is in your face and spinning the tail often. Good driving experience no doubt.
I have not driven the ZF8 G8x, however, owned the 2020 M340i for 9 painful months. This was the most boring ownership of a car I really wanted to love. Got lucky with the 2021 used car market explosion and with a new 6MT F87 show up on a lot. I have to say, the M2C was so far the most enjoyable driving experience BMW I owned.

I love the 6MT G80 and my next car (after the 3-yr lease is over) will be the last 6MT G80, long term ownership. The power is more than plenty, the car is (too) sophisticated, stable, predictable, comfortable and overall awesome. It is less engaged and raw than my M2C was, but that was expected. I needed 4 doors.

S58 is a great engine, however, I do miss the S55 wildness (had it with the F80, F80 Comp and F87). F87 was just a lot of fun at any RPM (up to…) where S58 is a very tame (maybe too much?) below 4K.

Will be getting the 6MT as long as they offer them…
Appreciate 6
MT6722.00
Jim B1895.00
Nate.G82521.00
2011ninja3399.00
spaceage199.50
      08-19-2023, 01:52 PM   #102
MT6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 '19 CTR '14 Accord MT6

….and there are YouTube influencers complaining about base G80s lack of power vs. M3 competition…than I notice these guys are driving in Sports mode

Let’s please floor the MT M3 on Sports+ engine setting and watch what happens…
Appreciate 3
mcsquared766.00
2011ninja3399.00
Slowlives307.00
      08-19-2023, 02:13 PM   #103
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Just an FYI, Auto Solutions is currently making a SSK for the G8X. I have it on my F80 dual duty car and it's rad (especially with a no lift shift tune).

Some details from Ronald who has been making these kits for BMW forever. I plan to buy one now before I even buy my G8X just in case he stops making them.

After a lot of arm twisting I was able to find some time to build a few G8xM shifters. These shifters will fit all the G8xM including the new M2.

This has been an interesting project for me. This is the first shifter I built without any intention of selling it. I originally built it over a year ago as an engineering exercise. Originally this shifter was built as an extension of the F8XM shifter ( iteration #1) then revised a few months later to mimic the build on the new e46 330 6 speed ( iteration 2) and again last summer to include the larger spherical bearing used on the E9xM3 ( iteration 3) . Last month a revision to the e46M3 AutoCross brought another variant ( call it iteration 3.1) . These shifters were built as one offs and tested. Currently what I plan to build for this batch is a random selection of iterations 3 and 3.1

I am told this is the last of the manual BMW shifters and maybe in a way it is iconic. The build was fascinating because it necessitated build techniques that I could not have done 10 years ago. Probably not even last year. The early cars were easier because their build envelope ( the area that can be manipulated around the mechanism ) was so large. with the e9x and f8x that build area shrank and with the G8xM has gotten even smaller so that minor changes in height such as knob choice substantially change the feel of the shifter.

Either of those versions will maximize rigidity and focus on precision and the gated feel that I think is essential to be able to shift using muscle memory. These shifters are complete units and a few pictures are attached to this email to show what you would get. the shift arm when shown is obviously not included.
OPTIONS:These shifters will be offered in the reduction ratio of your choice ranging from 15% reduction to 30% reduction. At this time I will not build anything lower than 15% and certainly nothing higher than 30%. The bushing set for the shift arm is optional but the same choice of urethane bronze bushings that is now available for the e9x and f8x will be offered. Height of the shift lever will be independent of the reduction ratio and can be set anywhere from -15 mm to + 50 mm. All the completed G8XM shifters were set at oem height but I do not see this height range becoming an issue so I am offering it at this time. Other ergonomic variables offered with the e9xM , f8xM and e46M such as left to right or front to back tilts will not be offered with this batch.
Appreciate 2
GearRex193.50
      08-22-2023, 08:51 AM   #104
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
After turning the car off do you put it in gear?
Yeah, I always leave it in gear when I park. I just like having both on for peace of mind
Appreciate 2
hhkb860.50
      08-22-2023, 08:55 AM   #105
hhkb
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
Just an FYI, Auto Solutions is currently making a SSK for the G8X. I have it on my F80 dual duty car and it's rad (especially with a no lift shift tune).

Some details from Ronald who has been making these kits for BMW forever. I plan to buy one now before I even buy my G8X just in case he stops making them.

After a lot of arm twisting I was able to find some time to build a few G8xM shifters. These shifters will fit all the G8xM including the new M2.

This has been an interesting project for me. This is the first shifter I built without any intention of selling it. I originally built it over a year ago as an engineering exercise. Originally this shifter was built as an extension of the F8XM shifter ( iteration #1) then revised a few months later to mimic the build on the new e46 330 6 speed ( iteration 2) and again last summer to include the larger spherical bearing used on the E9xM3 ( iteration 3) . Last month a revision to the e46M3 AutoCross brought another variant ( call it iteration 3.1) . These shifters were built as one offs and tested. Currently what I plan to build for this batch is a random selection of iterations 3 and 3.1

I am told this is the last of the manual BMW shifters and maybe in a way it is iconic. The build was fascinating because it necessitated build techniques that I could not have done 10 years ago. Probably not even last year. The early cars were easier because their build envelope ( the area that can be manipulated around the mechanism ) was so large. with the e9x and f8x that build area shrank and [...]
Wow neat! Would this also fix the mushy feel of the shifter?
      08-22-2023, 09:29 AM   #106
metalbmxer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6mt

1) Are you loving it
-YES every day i drive it, love the driver involvement (& daily challenge so to speak)

2) Is the shifter feel mechanical enough for you
-no complaints on shifter feel, had a 2 series before & quite enjoyed that one

3) What has your clutch engagement been in sport vs efficiency modes
-I don't use sport mode, just comfort, if i need more power i just rev it higher

4) Time it takes for Transmission to warm up
-5 seconds

5) Points you like to share
-maybe is slower than the auto but i figure human foresight can be faster in terms of picking a proper gear sometimes compared to waiting for the auto to downshift. at other times like dangit i missed the downshift or whatever it was... takes practice to be lightning quick AND accurate

Las Vegas Board certified MD- Clinical Psychiatrist
Appreciate 2
DFW_M1671.00
MT6722.00
      08-22-2023, 10:15 AM   #107
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT6 View Post
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

What has your driving experience been with the MT in your cars

1) Are you loving it
Missed to answer OP's points above

1) Are you loving it
Definitely. Great, solid transmission. Could it be better? Sure. Is it bad? Absolutely NOT, it is very good, I'd say 4/5
Less than some others I remember from previous life like Honda or even Toyota. However, it has a good feel, never had an issue shifting into the right gear and knowing in what gear I am in
Clutch takes some time to smoothen out. One thing different with this transmission mapping s that for me is smoother in S+ than in S. All my other BMWs were the opposite. Once you figure out the engagement point (a bit higher than other vehicles) and right shifting RPMs, it is a pure joy.
I recall my F80/87 did take a few minutes during winter to warm up. I have not experienced cold temps with the G80. In the summer, no warmup time.
See my other post
Appreciate 2
MT6722.00
      08-22-2023, 11:07 AM   #108
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Yes, their bushing solidifies the connection between the gearbox and the shift mechanism. No mush.
Appreciate 2
hhkb860.50
      08-22-2023, 11:37 AM   #109
golf4kal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Base

Quote:
Yes, he engineers and manufactures each shifter assembly component and then makes tweaks to customize the solution to each customer's desired specs. Thus he is not a mass-production, commercialized operation (even more "boutique" than Rogue). When I spoke with him a bit ago, he said that he is making a very small batch for the G8X platform this year and once the batch goes out, won't pick up a G8X project until 2024.

If you can't get one from AS, Rogue does great work on older platforms and came out with a SSK and shifter carrier rear bushing mount to firm up the feel.
      08-22-2023, 07:51 PM   #110
SubieRX
Registered
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT

Quote:
Congrats on the new car! My recommendation is to take your time with it. Maybe not a year like I have, but really learn the car and see what it offers you stock. Then, hit up Mike with x-ph once you know what you want. He always does right by the community.
Thanks! And absolutely agree with your advice. I don't plan on doing any serious mods like a JB4 for a while (just an SST valve controller and clutch stop for now ).
Appreciate 1
Nate.G82521.00