BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-19-2023, 08:07 AM   #23
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza240 View Post
I've driven and sat in cars with both options. Buckets are certainly comfy enough to sit in, yes. And nice that they are heated.

I would definitely try to live with them in a CS. And I'd opt them in a M2C/CS, (but that's a coupe, which makes it easier to get in and out; and that wouldn't be a daily for me).

Buckets just aren't ideal for daily use. Here's a bucket seat rant for those who want to hear it:

Getting in and out is more difficult with buckets. That can't be argued, but you can argue about what's acceptable.
How difficult is acceptable for a daily? What can you live with?
What can your passengers live with?
Do you ever drive with colleagues/clients/customers? Your wife?
Are you trying to lose half your stuff?

I see some bucket people setting their bucket seat memory 1 to their "driving position", while memory 2 is set to their "getting-in-and-out-position".
FYI, there is no memory 3 for "getting In-And-Out-drive-thru position" in case you need that.

Even having done that, if you're short-legged, your feet might not touch the ground when you "roto-scooch" to get over the bolsters.
This would be super fun if you park in the snow or in icy areas.
Like watching an old Chaplin film or Looney Tunes, or Bambi.

In some ways getting in and out is more difficult if you are taller. Memory settings aren't an option because you can't move the seat forward enough for the backrest to clear the B pillar without bending your knees a lot; possibly having the wheel get in the way...
Eliminates your chance of being a memory-button-person. Phew!
Why would you want to do that every time you get in and out of the car anyway?
Simple answer from those who do do that, is that it's simply too difficult without it!

Easier in a coupe (M2, M4) of course due to B-pillar position and thus freedom to roto-scooch, but we are talking about the M3.

This is all more difficult in tight parking spots/garages. Gone are your chances of gracefully slipping through a narrow gap in a slightly-opened door.
Better put some padding on your garage wall!

Don't get me started on the part of the seat that goes between the thighs. Works well for track, but is it necessary? Porsche doesn't need this on their buckets.
Not friendly if you like to adjust your posture or leg positions when driving. Also can be in the way of the clutch, but you get used to that.

They also don't have ventilation. Minor point, but worth making.

All that said, you are not wrong to go for the buckets. It's about what you want. They certainly feel special and they make the car seem more exotic.

They only cost a few thousand more as well.
Perfectly said. There are those who will defend the buckets as "comfortable". Well, that depends on your size and circumstances.

I would have loved to have bought the buckets. Always lusted after them in P Cars. But in a daily, you touched upon three of my main problems.

1. I'm tall. 6'2" and a long torso (32" inseam which isn't long for my height). I have issues with multiple cars ingress and egress. The Taycan is one of them. For the G80, the buckets are a step too far. Combined with the non-powered wheel, the proximity of the B-pillar and the roof means it's VERY difficult for me to climb over the bolster.

2. My garages are narrow. I literally have padding on the wall so I can open the door fully into the wall to get out. Now you've added a narrow door opening to the above already tight geometry. I can't imagine getting in and out of the car every day in this environment.

3. The nub / side bolsters. My legs are naturally splayed. I walk duck footed and my legs rotate open. It's difficult for me to heel / toe (I roll my foot outward and it's more of right forefoot - left forefoot). This means that my legs are always pressed into the end of the leg bolsters on the buckets. They are more aggressive than in the Porsche buckets in this regard. This plus my legs are large, and I don't have a lot of room between the nub and the bolster. This is my smallest complaint, though. The above two are the larger ones.

Net net, I am not built for the bolsters. If I had a bigger garage and maybe in the M4 it would work. But on a daily M3, I honestly just don't want to bother.

They are a great product and for the price, they are unbeatable. But not for me.
Appreciate 3
nunzo769.50
pizza240817.00
      09-19-2023, 08:14 AM   #24
GhostOne_322
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 CS (BSM/Red/Gold)

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Perfectly said. There are those who will defend the buckets as "comfortable". Well, that depends on your size and circumstances.

I would have loved to have bought the buckets. Always lusted after them in P Cars. But in a daily, you touched upon three of my main problems.

1. I'm tall. 6'2" and a long torso (32" inseam which isn't long for my height). I have issues with multiple cars ingress and egress. The Taycan is one of them. For the G80, the buckets are a step too far. Combined with the non-powered wheel, the proximity of the B-pillar and the roof means it's VERY difficult for me to climb over the bolster.

2. My garages are narrow. I literally have padding on the wall so I can open the door fully into the wall to get out. Now you've added a narrow door opening to the above already tight geometry. I can't imagine getting in and out of the car every day in this environment.

3. The nub / side bolsters. My legs are naturally splayed. I walk duck footed and my legs rotate open. It's difficult for me to heel / toe (I roll my foot outward and it's more of right forefoot - left forefoot). This means that my legs are always pressed into the end of the leg bolsters on the buckets. They are more aggressive than in the Porsche buckets in this regard. This plus my legs are large, and I don't have a lot of room between the nub and the bolster. This is my smallest complaint, though. The above two are the larger ones.

Net net, I am not built for the bolsters. If I had a bigger garage and maybe in the M4 it would work. But on a daily M3, I honestly just don't want to bother.

They are a great product and for the price, they are unbeatable. But not for me.
I picked up my 24 CS after having shoulder replacement surgery and worried that getting in and out would be a problem. Its the opposite for me, actually assisted progress with shoulder recovery between getting in and out as well as the driving position of my arms while driving. Go figure. But I hear you. Wife does not like doing anything in the M3. That's why she has an X7!

Enjoy in good health!
2023 M3 CS BSM / Gold Wheels / Red Steel Brakes - daily || 2020 M5C Verde Ermes Pearl Individual / Full Tartufo - sold at asking price || 2020 M5C Singapore Gray/Aragon Brown - in memoriam (totaled) || 2017 X5M Donington/Criollo Brown - Full Dinan Package - retired || 2007 and 2014 GC SRT - retired || 2004 M3 E46 Convertible Estoril Blue/Red - retired || 2002 745Li Kalahari Beige / Beige - retired || 2000 X5 3.0i manual (first BMW and retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 08:20 AM   #25
nunzo
Peanut Butter and Jelly
Rep
Drives: germans

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
1997 BMW M3  [0.00]
1994 BMW M3  [9.83]
Quote:

I'm 6-2 225 with a 33" inseam with big legs and shitty knees from 25 years of playing hockey goalie and the associated surgeries.

I originally had seat position 1 at driving and 2 at ingress/egress, but that was annoying. So I use position 1.

If you don't care about bolster wear and/or have bolster protectors then the seats are perfectly fine to manage. If you're super anal and don't want to risk seat damage without protection, then yeah, it's a bit of a chore.

IMO, if you're used to driving lowered cars, you should have no problem getting in and out of the bucket.

They're comfortable, even moreso than the F80 comp seats. The lack of ventilation is not a concern with the peep holes in the back and perforations along the center. Set your car to pre-ventilation and get ceramic tint if that's an issue.

As far as whether or not it's a good daily driver, if I had 1-2 car seats in the back, then I'd say no. SUVs are so much better at hauling kids and all of their accessories. If you don't have that issue, then yeah, it's an amazing daily driver. Plenty of power, all of the modern gadgets and whatnot. If there's any complaint i would have, it's the lack of interior storage space. The glovebox and armrest are noticeably smaller than my 13 year old Audi S4.
1994 318i - alpine white / Super Touring Project
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 08:25 AM   #26
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzo View Post
I'm 6-2 225 with a 33" inseam with big legs and shitty knees from 25 years of playing hockey goalie and the associated surgeries.

I originally had seat position 1 at driving and 2 at ingress/egress, but that was annoying. So I use position 1.

If you don't care about bolster wear and/or have bolster protectors then the seats are perfectly fine to manage. If you're super anal and don't want to risk seat damage without protection, then yeah, it's a bit of a chore.

IMO, if you're used to driving lowered cars, you should have no problem getting in and out of the bucket. .
What can I say. I've tried them. More trouble than I wanted to deal with. I could barely get out of my Tesla with the amount I can open the car door in my garage, and that seat had ZERO bolstering. To me, the juice was just not worth the squeeze.
Appreciate 2
nunzo769.50
DFW_M1677.00
      09-19-2023, 08:36 AM   #27
nunzo
Peanut Butter and Jelly
Rep
Drives: germans

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
1997 BMW M3  [0.00]
1994 BMW M3  [9.83]
Quote:
What can I say. I've tried them. More trouble than I wanted to deal with. I could barely get out of my Tesla with the amount I can open the car door in my garage, and that seat had ZERO bolstering. To me, the juice was just not worth the squeeze.

oh for sure, to each their own, no criticism here.

my side of the garage is tight to where passengers cant get in until I'm in my driveway. My wife's SUV barely fits on the other side, and I have a couple cars in the driveway making it all an ordeal to maneuver in and out.
1994 318i - alpine white / Super Touring Project
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6819.50
      09-19-2023, 09:22 AM   #28
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzo View Post
oh for sure, to each their own, no criticism here.

my side of the garage is tight to where passengers cant get in until I'm in my driveway. My wife's SUV barely fits on the other side, and I have a couple cars in the driveway making it all an ordeal to maneuver in and out.
Yeah, my old spot in the 2 car garage has been usurped, and the M3 will be parked in the 1 car, which is narrow enough that I back in, with the passenger side close enough to the wall that you can't even walk between the car and the wall, much less open the door enough to get in. That's the only way I can open my door wide enough to get out.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 09:22 AM   #29
TJR_///M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C 2021 X3M40i

Yes.
No ifs, buts or maybes.
A comfortable practical sedan that with a push (or actually two pushes) of an M button and you have a erioulsy fast drift machine.
What more could you possibly want from a daily driver???
      09-19-2023, 09:34 AM   #30
ztx84
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Xdrive

Excellent daily driver in my view, when you want the car to be smooth and reasonably comfortably it can be, and when you want to have some fun you have plenty of power and grip. I use my M4 as a daily and it is spot on. An M3 would be more practical, but I rarely drive with anyone else in the car, and have no kids etc, so the look of the M4 is why I chose it over an M3. For daily use consider the auto over the manual, as its just easier in traffic. 6th in the manual is a fairly short gear too so you'd get better economy on longer runs with the auto.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 10:35 AM   #31
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Interesting how many Comp folks jumped in even though the OP is inquiring about the 6MT as the whole package. Daily, with the 6MT is quite different situation than daily with the Auto...
There is no reason why 4-door sedan with 500HP, selectable suspension setting would not be a good daily other than 6MT...and as mentioned, this 6MT is very much user friendly for daily driving
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2023, 01:00 PM   #32
Juanero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pcars, TOYcars, M3Cx

It's my daily. I enjoy it. I got automatic since it's my daily and I get redlights and some traffic daily.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 05:27 PM   #33
ourlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: on the M2 2025 hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
Mine is a "daily", actually, only. I drive mostly in a city with lots of hills and parking problems. The MT and buckets are not a problem for me. If it's your only car, you use it for hauling crap to the dump or moving firewood, but it only will hold a quarter of a cord.
Lol need pic of wood in yer m
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 01:50 PM   #34
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourlee View Post
Lol need pic of wood in yer m
I don't have a picture but it fit exactly as it did in the F30 I had the previous time I moved 1/4 cord.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 04:43 PM   #35
ourlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: on the M2 2025 hunt

I love that so much
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 05:18 PM   #36
Needsdecaf
Major General