BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

04-25-2022, 07:47 PM   #45
Mcc420
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX

Garage List
2023 g80x  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Anyone know which blend mount we need for the g80. I'm looking for the one just for the camera.

F90 Comp, Hcp custom e40 meth, 9.76@143, 174ml/h 1/2ml 60-130 5.53

F10 M5, HCP Tune ,BM3, 10:8@137, 166.05 1/2ml.
Ig @mcc420
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 08:23 PM   #46
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcc420 View Post
Anyone know which blend mount we need for the g80. I'm looking for the one just for the camera.
Go to their website and go through the fitment guide. You'll have to match your rear view mirror from the pics on their website to make sure you order the correct one.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 09:14 PM   #47
MunkyTool
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger83 View Post
So, anyone had any issues after hardwiring the camera? I hardwired the camera as described in the first post. However, the car gives a fault when it's all wired up.

High beam left is faulty according to the car, but it works. If I remove the fuse taps, the error resets.
Curious… Did you get this figured out?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 12:30 PM   #48
bmw noob
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 Comp x-drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw noob View Post
Anyone know if using the same fuses as this install would be appropriate for a thinkvue u1000 2ch setup? I don’t want to fry it by sending too much juice.
In case anyone is wondering, blackboxmycar said the same fuses can be used for both, but recommended using a fuse rated to 10-30A for both ACC and BATT.

I will try to find a 10A to replace the 5A used on this install.
2022 G80 comp X-drive:San Marino Blue/ Silverstone, 826 bicolor, cf roof; exec pkg; shadow lasers; carbon pack; MSS HAS; spacers (15/12); Burger intakes; Unit17 front lip/CS Style spoiler; TLG flappies; full xpel ppf + 15% tint; AWE switchpath exhaust w/mid-pipes; csl strut brace; Eventuri cf engine cover
Gone: 2020 M340i; 2017 F30 340i; 2008 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 02:44 PM   #49
bmw noob
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 Comp x-drive

Garage List
iviegatron how did you get the cables behind the panels over the door and above the a pillar? Just keep pushing them in?

I'm afraid to pull too hard on the trim pieces in case they don't go back in properly. I also don't want to push to hard on the cable with a pry tool in case the cable inside breaks.
2022 G80 comp X-drive:San Marino Blue/ Silverstone, 826 bicolor, cf roof; exec pkg; shadow lasers; carbon pack; MSS HAS; spacers (15/12); Burger intakes; Unit17 front lip/CS Style spoiler; TLG flappies; full xpel ppf + 15% tint; AWE switchpath exhaust w/mid-pipes; csl strut brace; Eventuri cf engine cover
Gone: 2020 M340i; 2017 F30 340i; 2008 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 02:53 PM   #50
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw noob View Post
iviegatron how did you get the cables behind the panels over the door and above the a pillar? Just keep pushing them in?

I'm afraid to pull too hard on the trim pieces in case they don't go back in properly. I also don't want to push to hard on the cable with a pry tool in case the cable inside breaks.
You can try to shove the cable in along the yellow path from my original post or you can slightly pry the panels using the trim tool and then shove the cable in. Not much force is required.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 11:20 AM   #51
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
I used to have this issue but I installed a kill switch so I can turn off the camera whenever I want, especially when parked in my garage overnight. If the car is anywhere but home I leave it on.

You get that error because the car is detecting something is drawing power. When I got that error first thing I checked was the voltage level and my car read 13.12 volts which is above the tolerance level. As long as you have set the cut off voltage on Blackvue it should never dip below it and you should be good. Take that error message as a false positive.
Hey, I'm about to install and I'm interested to know more about your kill switch. I'm guessing you installed a mechanical switch to interrupt power to the camera? That sounds super convenient, but I'd prefer not to slice into the cords if possible. I got the blackvue battery and planning to power from cigarette port in truck. Can you not just turn the camera off easily to achieve the same effect? Thanks.

Edit: yeah, no way to turn the camera off easily... Maybe a conveniently placed rocker switch is in my future. Can't believe blackvue doesn't have an easy way to power off the camera as people have been asking for it for years based on my googling today.

Last edited by Indo Rider; 07-10-2022 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 12:02 AM   #52
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
Hey, I'm about to install and I'm interested to know more about your kill switch. I'm guessing you installed a mechanical switch to interrupt power to the camera? That sounds super convenient, but I'd prefer not to slice into the cords if possible. I got the blackvue battery and planning to power from cigarette port in truck. Can you not just turn the camera off easily to achieve the same effect? Thanks.

Edit: yeah, no way to turn the camera off easily... Maybe a conveniently placed rocker switch is in my future. Can't believe blackvue doesn't have an easy way to power off the camera as people have been asking for it for years based on my googling today.
I haven't dealt with the blackbue battery, but the camera power wire has three connections, ACC, BATT, and GND. I basically took a switch and connected the BATT cable to one terminal and the other terminal went where the BATT connection would go. I hid the switch in the glove compartment at the very top where it's not visible. Since the switch is flat I used a 3M tape to hold it in place.

If you need more clarification feel free to reach out.

12 Pcs SPST Snap-in ON-OFF 2 Pin Snap Rocker Boat Switch Black AC 250V 15A 125V 20A For Car Auto Boat Household Appliances By MXRS https://a.co/d/i20XoRF
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 11:10 AM   #53
Mashour
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I have my setup sitting in the trunk waiting to get installed. I'm most likely going to go with the cable plugged in the trunk to avoid issues with the cars battery. I do have the extra portable battery box to continue record while the car is off. My question is how do I get the dash cam to record like normal during its parking mode? It seems it's on a fast lapse and will only do a normal recording if there was an impact detected. My intentions are to get security footage around the car. Anyone know how to make it continue recording like normal and not fast forward? Yes I'm aware I will need a bigger SD card already got that sorted out haha
      07-13-2022, 11:13 AM   #54
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashour View Post
I have my setup sitting in the trunk waiting to get installed. I'm most likely going to go with the cable plugged in the trunk to avoid issues with the cars battery. I do have the extra portable battery back to continue record while the car is off. My question is how do I get the dash cam to record like normal during its parking mode? It seems it's on a fast lapse and will only do a normal recording if there was an impact detected. My intentions are to get security footage around the car. Anyone know how to make it continue recording like normal and not fast forward? Yes I'm aware I will need a bigger SD card already got that sorted out haha
There is an option in the settings to change it to normal mode at all times.
Appreciate 1
Mashour754.50
      07-13-2022, 11:14 AM   #55
Mashour
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have my setup sitting in the trunk waiting to get installed. I'm most likely going to go with the cable plugged in the trunk to avoid issues with the cars battery. I do have the extra portable battery back to continue record while the car is off. My question is how do I get the dash cam to record like normal during its parking mode? It seems it's on a fast lapse and will only do a normal recording if there was an impact detected. My intentions are to get security footage around the car. Anyone know how to make it continue recording like normal and not fast forward? Yes I'm aware I will need a bigger SD card already got that sorted out haha
There is an option in the settings to change it to normal mode at all times.
Excellent. Will give it a shot later on this week and report back. Thank you for the detailed tutorial
      07-13-2022, 10:43 PM   #56
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep

Hey, so just a heads up in case it helps anyone... If you want to use the "battery protection" features for parking mode (time based shut off or voltage based shut off) you have to have use the 3-wire (batt+, ground, and accessory) power cable from camera. And the cable that has the cigarette lighter adapter shorts the batt+ and accessory wires together inside the cigarette port plug so those features wont work if you use that cable plugged into the blackvue battery via the short cig lighter receptacle adapter cable.

Since I had already routed that cable under the trim to the trunk, I ended up cutting the cigarette lighter plug off the end of the cable so I could connect all 3 wires to the blackvue battery output via a 3-wire cable that comes with the blackvue battery. Battery protection features work properly now.

None of the other 3-wire cables that came with the camera or blackvue battery would have been long enough to reach the trunk tho, so kinda jacked up that none of the blackvue documentation mentions this and you have to cut and splice cables together to get it to work. Google searching landed me on dashcam forum to figure this out.

At least it works tho, and I think I'm OK without a kill switch since I rarely need parking mode to run for more than say 3 hours since my work and home parking is secure.

Last edited by Indo Rider; 07-13-2022 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 08:58 AM   #57
Mashour
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Any idea on how to clean this up a bit? Wire is hidden until getting towards the rear seats through the trunk.
Attached Images

07-18-2022, 09:33 AM   #58
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Replied to your post on the other thread.
Route the wires behind the trunk liner and directly to the passenger's side cubby.
Probably about 15 min. more to remove the liners.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 07:39 PM   #59
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
Route the wires behind the trunk liner and directly to the passenger's side cubby.
Yeah, this. I had my wife use her tiny hand to reach through the access panel and grab the wire so didn't even have to remove the liner!
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2022, 01:58 PM   #60
kiw1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Noooo!!!! Not what I was wanting to hear. A company that specializes in making mounts you would think they would have something available. I may have to fabricate something.
Ugh same. I was excited to see that there maybe a solution, but doesn't look like it's possible to have my R8 and a Blackvue mounted using my existing blendmount.

I'm sure like some of you I have been the victim of parking car damage and I'd like to be covered.
2012 Audi A4 Avant - SOLD
Insta: mtn_m3cx
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 02:01 PM   #61
Mashour
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by this. Can you further explain? Maybe highlight my picture please
      07-19-2022, 02:05 PM   #62
Mashour
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by this. Can you further explain? Maybe highlight my picture please
Trunk liner would be the flat part no? The wire would still be seen going into the side compartment
      07-19-2022, 02:56 PM   #63
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What I meant was that once you remove the whole liner (highlighted), you can route the wire directly to the cubby area on the bottom.
The cubby piece is separate from the liner.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Mashour754.50
      07-19-2022, 02:58 PM   #64
Mashour
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What I meant was that once you remove the whole liner (highlighted), you can route the wire directly to the cubby area on the bottom.
The cubby piece is separate from the liner.
Makes sense! Wow I didn't know that was removable. I'll give it a shot! Is this what you ended up doing as well?
      07-20-2022, 09:35 AM   #65
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Makes sense! Wow I didn't know that was removable. I'll give it a shot! Is this what you ended up doing as well?
I didn't install a dashcam on my car, but I removed the trunk liners to install aftermarket audio equipment.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 10:55 PM   #66
MinMax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
Hey guys, I just got the Blackvue 750X. Can I leave it plugged into the 12V slot in my trunk? Will it drain my battery or does it shut off itself after I turn my engine off?
Appreciate 0