BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

06-10-2022, 10:29 PM   #23
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I missed this post. I dont know of any record of K band being used for radar signs. I'm not saying it's not possible, I've just never seen or heard of it. Luckily, the radar signs don't issue tickets, or record cars passing.
Im in socal and the street signs that show your speed around me use K.
      06-10-2022, 10:36 PM   #24
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Im in socal and the street signs that show your speed around me use K.
I need to get in on Radarforums, and let someone know so they put it on the big list. I've never seen it. Unless people are just worried about cops with Ka, and not so much radar signs. I live in North Sacramento, and I've had it off, and every CHP I pass, has always been Ka band.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 10:40 PM   #25
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
I need to get in on Radarforums, and let someone know so they put it on the big list. I've never seen it. Unless people are just worried about cops with Ka, and not so much radar signs. I live in North Sacramento, and I've had it off, and every CHP I pass, has always been Ka band.

I dont monitor K band at all. I only learned of this when I first got my uniden and tried it out in default mode for a few days. Now, Ive seen speed signs in Ka too. But I only monitor Ka. The rest do nothing for me.
      06-10-2022, 10:50 PM   #26
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I dont monitor K band at all. I only learned of this when I first got my uniden and tried it out in default mode for a few days. Now, Ive seen speed signs in Ka too. But I only monitor Ka. The rest do nothing for me.
That's the best way to go. I also have Ka segmented into only the bands that CHP/ PD uses. I segment 2,4,5,6, and 8.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 12:48 AM   #27
m4ml
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX BSM (Xpel Stealth)

Quote:
One thing to clarify is that these are just signs that show the speed limit and the traffic speed. These signs aren't connected to any kind of LEO speed enforcement. So, there's no reason to monitor K for these signs.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00
      06-11-2022, 12:55 AM   #28
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ml View Post
One thing to clarify is that these are just signs that show the speed limit and the traffic speed. These signs aren't connected to any kind of LEO speed enforcement. So, there's no reason to monitor K for these signs.
Yes, in a roundabout way, I was trying to say that.

Appreciate 1
m4ml1834.00
      06-12-2022, 07:58 PM   #29
kiw1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
I'm using an R8, and just finished a trip from Mammoth -> Reno -> Truckee -> Mammoth and got a lot of K falses due to this reason. Interestingly was using Votexes settings and was thinking about diabling K altogether. When there was a threat however, the R8 picked it up like 30 seconds before I had LOS, what a piece of kit!

Quote:
That's the best way to go. I also have Ka segmented into only the bands that CHP/ PD uses. I segment 2,4,5,6, and 8.
Interesting, I only segment 2, 5 and 8 per this thread
2012 Audi A4 Avant - SOLD
Insta: mtn_m3cx
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 10:45 PM   #30
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiw1 View Post
I'm using an R8, and just finished a trip from Mammoth -> Reno -> Truckee -> Mammoth and got a lot of K falses due to this reason. Interestingly was using Votexes settings and was thinking about diabling K altogether. When there was a threat however, the R8 picked it up like 30 seconds before I had LOS, what a piece of kit!

Interesting, I only segment 2, 5 and 8 per this thread
I could be wrong. But I dont think LEO's use K at all. I seem to think its used for some older speedometer signs and grocery store entrances. So I only monitor Ka only and so far Ka detection has proven to be king for me.
      06-13-2022, 02:19 AM   #31
miked07
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F30 B58 340i x drive

Not trying to hijack the thread but does anyone have suggestions to use with the passport 360c ?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 10:59 AM   #32
kiw1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I could be wrong. But I dont think LEO's use K at all. I seem to think its used for some older speedometer signs and grocery store entrances. So I only monitor Ka only and so far Ka detection has proven to be king for me.
I actually asked on radar forums, because my experience was the same as yours. Will come back.
2012 Audi A4 Avant - SOLD
Insta: mtn_m3cx
Appreciate 1
RockinPA4848.00
      06-15-2022, 07:39 PM   #33
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive, '2

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinPA View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I hear you. I live on the Orange County coast (Southern California). I work in LA. I don't always drive the M3 to work but sometimes I do. I definitely am not in the countryside… lol. Although, some open country roads in this beast sure would be nice! Tons of traffic where we live, unfortunately.

It's essentially 100% city driving I'd say. The uniden has gps and you can tag the false alerts so that it won't beep when something like a grocery store automatic door sets it off. It's been pretty quiet in my opinion during my first few months of use thus far. I just mute the false alarms I encounter, and the detector remembers those based on the gps.

It's definitely not fool proof. I like having it though. It's better than nothing.

I hope this helps… lmk if you have any other questions dude!
There should be no such thing as a false alert from an automatic door, in California. Everyone should be running their Radar Detector segmented.

There are settings that you need to program into the detector. K band, is what's used on the automatic doors, K-Band doesn't exist for police, in California, neither does X band or MRCD.

All of that should be turned off. Ka is the only band in California. And even that needs to be segmented, so the detector is only scanning specific bands, which makes the radar detector lock on quicker, because its not scanning the entire Ka range. With a properly segmented R7 I can pick up Ka 34.XXX upto 7 miles away.
I am definitely not a radar detector expert (clearly)- lol. I have only had one previously in my 2016 F80. This is my second one and first Uniden.

I will need to pick your brain on how to adjust these settings more. This is all very awesome info! I had heard that there may be some k band police activity… but if not, I'll gladly nix it. I still get it going off once in a while and it's always K band.

I relied on vortex radars website for the settings I'm currently using. Any link describing how I can segment the Ka? Maybe on vortex radars site… I'll have to look when I get some free time. Thank you for weighing in man! I appreciate it.
It would take me forever to explain it all, typing it out. Best let Vortex explain it. Pay particular attention to the segmentation portion. Check the description for the chapters. 15:39 starts the segmentation section. If it gives you the warm fuzzies, you can keep K-Band on. I've been running K band off for about the past 4-5 years.

Sorry for the delay, dude. Thank you!! I will definitely check this out and turn off my K band.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00
      06-16-2022, 12:56 AM   #34
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I hear you. I live on the Orange County coast (Southern California). I work in LA. I don't always drive the M3 to work but sometimes I do. I definitely am not in the countryside… lol. Although, some open country roads in this beast sure would be nice! Tons of traffic where we live, unfortunately.

It's essentially 100% city driving I'd say. The uniden has gps and you can tag the false alerts so that it won't beep when something like a grocery store automatic door sets it off. It's been pretty quiet in my opinion during my first few months of use thus far. I just mute the false alarms I encounter, and the detector remembers those based on the gps.

It's definitely not fool proof. I like having it though. It's better than nothing.

I hope this helps… lmk if you have any other questions dude!
There should be no such thing as a false alert from an automatic door, in California. Everyone should be running their Radar Detector segmented.

There are settings that you need to program into the detector. K band, is what's used on the automatic doors, K-Band doesn't exist for police, in California, neither does X band or MRCD.

All of that should be turned off. Ka is the only band in California. And even that needs to be segmented, so the detector is only scanning specific bands, which makes the radar detector lock on quicker, because its not scanning the entire Ka range. With a properly segmented R7 I can pick up Ka 34.XXX upto 7 miles away.
I am definitely not a radar detector expert (clearly)- lol. I have only had one previously in my 2016 F80. This is my second one and first Uniden.

I will need to pick your brain on how to adjust these settings more. This is all very awesome info! I had heard that there may be some k band police activity… but if not, I'll gladly nix it. I still get it going off once in a while and it's always K band.

I relied on vortex radars website for the settings I'm currently using. Any link describing how I can segment the Ka? Maybe on vortex radars site… I'll have to look when I get some free time. Thank you for weighing in man! I appreciate it.
It would take me forever to explain it all, typing it out. Best let Vortex explain it. Pay particular attention to the segmentation portion. Check the description for the chapters. 15:39 starts the segmentation section. If it gives you the warm fuzzies, you can keep K-Band on. I've been running K band off for about the past 4-5 years.

Sorry for the delay, dude. Thank you!! I will definitely check this out and turn off my K band.
No worries. You're welcome.

Appreciate 1
RockinPA4848.00
      06-16-2022, 07:41 PM   #35
bmw noob
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 Comp x-drive

Garage List
Went for a drive with the r8 today, around 2.5 hours around the Miami area. *The mirror is still tilted up after the install in this pic. The radar sits around .5" below the mirror.

Used Vortex "recommended" settings. Not. One. False. Alert.

Actually, i did get a mrcd (?) alert, which must have been a false since I don't think it is used here.

Can't believe how quiet this thing is around a city. I did get two K alerts while on the turnpike, but I am quite sure there were speed signs or something similar on the off ramps or something similar.

Also, the white color matches our dash perfectly.
Attached Images

2022 G80 comp X-drive:San Marino Blue/ Silverstone, 826 bicolor, cf roof; exec pkg; shadow lasers; carbon pack; MSS HAS; spacers (15/12); Burger intakes; Unit17 front lip/CS Style spoiler; TLG flappies; full xpel ppf + 15% tint; AWE switchpath exhaust w/mid-pipes; csl strut brace; Eventuri cf engine cover
Gone: 2020 M340i; 2017 F30 340i; 2008 e92 335
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00
      06-16-2022, 07:57 PM   #36
kiw1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Interesting, did you use the first recommended settings or his personal settings? I started a thread on this topic on radar forums here: https://www.rdforum.org/threads/120842/#post-1737979

Quote:
I’m in the Bay Area. I’ve never seen legitimate K in the 8 years I’ve been running RDs; doing my fair share of state wide driving. I just upgraded from a R7 to the R8.
I usually leave K on very filtered for curiosity. (Testing, not necessity)
K Narrow
K filter On
TSF ON
CITY/Highway Auto - set to 60 MPH
Quiet Ride 90 MPH (this gives 1 beep on K, does not affect KA)
Quiet Ride Beep volume 2
Auto Lockouts On
Rear K Mute On
K Block 1 On (I drive a CR-V)
K Block 2 Week
The above settings (not in order) will keep your R8 very quiet and give you one beep when you get K alerts.
It's seems that some LEO still use K so I'll probably run the updated settings in the above thread and try it out. I drive mostly highway so was thinking about filtering out some of the common falses via the mark capability
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 09:54 AM   #37
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw noob View Post
Went for a drive with the r8 today, around 2.5 hours around the Miami area. *The mirror is still tilted up after the install in this pic. The radar sits around .5" below the mirror.

Used Vortex "recommended" settings. Not. One. False. Alert.

Actually, i did get a mrcd (?) alert, which must have been a false since I don't think it is used here.

Can't believe how quiet this thing is around a city. I did get two K alerts while on the turnpike, but I am quite sure there were speed signs or something similar on the off ramps or something similar.

Also, the white color matches our dash perfectly.
Unfortunately, K still falses to parking and radar cruise control sensors on other cars. Could have been a false from either of those, as well.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 10:18 AM   #38
bmw noob
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 Comp x-drive

Garage List
Quote:
Unfortunately, K still falses to parking and radar cruise control sensors on other cars. Could have been a false from either of those, as well.
True. From what I understand local departments in Florida may still have K guns out there. I'll take a random false as the price for being safe.
And I have to say, having the compass is a great feature since they removed it from the mirror.
2022 G80 comp X-drive:San Marino Blue/ Silverstone, 826 bicolor, cf roof; exec pkg; shadow lasers; carbon pack; MSS HAS; spacers (15/12); Burger intakes; Unit17 front lip/CS Style spoiler; TLG flappies; full xpel ppf + 15% tint; AWE switchpath exhaust w/mid-pipes; csl strut brace; Eventuri cf engine cover
Gone: 2020 M340i; 2017 F30 340i; 2008 e92 335
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00
      06-17-2022, 11:55 AM   #39
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw noob View Post
True. From what I understand local departments in Florida may still have K guns out there. I'll take a random false as the price for being safe.
And I have to say, having the compass is a great feature since they removed it from the mirror.
Definitely, I only recommending turning off K-Band in California. I dont believe there are any other documented states that are currently only running Ka, except California.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 08:28 PM   #40
J_Supplanter
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp xDr

Garage List
Late to the thread. But I think I've read every bimmerpost thread on this & followed all the links through & I still feel in the dark.

2023 M3 Comp. Can I get a blendmount for anything 2021-2023? Someone said the one for their 2022 works on their 2023 (BR7-2017 vs BR7-2018). 2023 is currently sold out. Just trying to get the mount/tap on its way and handle this. Currently suctioned and plugged into the one 12V outlet.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 02:48 PM   #41
Mashour
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Supplanter View Post
Late to the thread. But I think I've read every bimmerpost thread on this & followed all the links through & I still feel in the dark.

2023 M3 Comp. Can I get a blendmount for anything 2021-2023? Someone said the one for their 2022 works on their 2023 (BR7-2017 vs BR7-2018). 2023 is currently sold out. Just trying to get the mount/tap on its way and handle this. Currently suctioned and plugged into the one 12V outlet.
Easiest way to find out is to email them a picture of your rear view mirror and tell them the radar you are using. I bought a blendmount and it asks for you to attach an image of your mirror as well. They emailed me back saying they corrected my purchase to the right mount and also refunded me the difference!
      03-21-2024, 03:57 AM   #42
automaz_
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2025 M4 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Does the 2024 m4 still have the 12V outlet next to the passenger side footwell?

I ordered a 2025 m4 and wondering if I will have that outlet like all the previous BMW had
      03-21-2024, 07:15 PM   #43
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by automaz_ View Post
Does the 2024 m4 still have the 12V outlet next to the passenger side footwell?

I ordered a 2025 m4 and wondering if I will have that outlet like all the previous BMW had
Nope.
Appreciate 1
automaz_313.00