BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-16-2023, 11:13 AM   #89
chusteveb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

I have a completely stock 2022 6MT G80 M3 with iDrive 7. Like many others, I prefer not to have any engine and/or exhaust noise pumped into the cabin via the vehicles speakers. You would think that with as many posts and videos floating around that getting this done should be a no brainer but I'm actually left just trying to figure out how this whole M Sound Control works now. I am able to set the parameters for M1 and M2 and have M Sound Control set to off. I suppose if I can figure out how to default M Sound Control to OFF rather than ON at start up then I am fine with not coding it inactive. Of course this is contingent on the fact that it is only eliminating artificial sounds and not affecting the valves in the exhaust itself. Using Bimmercode I was able to go into the RAM module and see that it was active and change it to inactive but I'm not positive it did anything as I am able to still press the button with the exhaust tips icon and the cluster will still indicate M Sound Control On/Off.

Can anyone give updated knowledge regarding M Sound Control, how it works, and how to keep out artificial sound without effecting the physical valves in the exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 11:38 AM   #90
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chusteveb View Post
I have a completely stock 2022 6MT G80 M3 with iDrive 7. Like many others, I prefer not to have any engine and/or exhaust noise pumped into the cabin via the vehicles speakers. You would think that with as many posts and videos floating around that getting this done should be a no brainer but I'm actually left just trying to figure out how this whole M Sound Control works now. I am able to set the parameters for M1 and M2 and have M Sound Control set to off. I suppose if I can figure out how to default M Sound Control to OFF rather than ON at start up then I am fine with not coding it inactive. Of course this is contingent on the fact that it is only eliminating artificial sounds and not affecting the valves in the exhaust itself. Using Bimmercode I was able to go into the RAM module and see that it was active and change it to inactive but I'm not positive it did anything as I am able to still press the button with the exhaust tips icon and the cluster will still indicate M Sound Control On/Off.

Can anyone give updated knowledge regarding M Sound Control, how it works, and how to keep out artificial sound without effecting the physical valves in the exhaust?

You have three choices.

1.) Code ASD off. All you loose is interior fake noise. Pops stay.

2.) or press the exhaust button OFF. This will remove fake noise AND pops and bangs.

3.) Turn exhaust button off, loose pops and bangs and interior sound. BUT you can then add a valve controller to override your valves to full open. No interior sound. No pops and bangs. Louder cold start with vavles forced open. Somewhat louder over all.

If all you want is the fake noise removed. Then bimmercode it off and be done.

If you want to hear what ASD sounds like. Go cruise your car. Get RPMS around 3K and hold them at that speed. Now press the exhaust button. You should be able to hear the fake noise turn on and off inside the car. Keep in mind, pressing the exhaust button OFF, will ALSO close the valves some too. So dont confused quieter exhaust with the fake noise. The fake noise is like a low harmonic HUm. BUT, I still think you can tell what is ASD vs the quieter exhaust when you turn it on and off. But if you have already coded it off, you should be good.
      05-16-2023, 02:18 PM   #91
chusteveb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
You have three choices.

2.) or press the exhaust button OFF. This will remove fake noise AND pops and bangs.

3.) Turn exhaust button off, loose pops and bangs and interior sound. BUT you can then add a valve controller to override your valves to full open. No interior sound. No pops and bangs. Louder cold start with vavles forced open. Somewhat louder over all.

If you want to hear what ASD sounds like. Go cruise your car. Get RPMS around 3K and hold them at that speed. Now press the exhaust button. You should be able to hear the fake noise turn on and off inside the car. Keep in mind, pressing the exhaust button OFF, will ALSO close the valves some too. So dont confused quieter exhaust with the fake noise. The fake noise is like a low harmonic HUm. BUT, I still think you can tell what is ASD vs the quieter exhaust when you turn it on and off. But if you have already coded it off, you should be good.
Ok thanks for that. I only want to get rid of the fake noise under any circumstances for now. So by coding fake noise off, am I to understand that when pressing the exhaust button it will still display M Sound Control ON/OFF in the cluster but it is only controlling the valves in the exhaust without producing any fake sound?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 02:19 PM   #92
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chusteveb View Post
Ok thanks for that. I only want to get rid of the fake noise under any circumstances for now. So by coding fake noise off, am I to understand that when pressing the exhaust button it will still display M Sound Control ON/OFF in the cluster and but only control the valves in the exhaust without any fake sound?
Yes exactly, code the fake sound out and the valves will keep fonctionning with the button.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
BIGW0RM3156.00
      05-17-2023, 12:02 AM   #93
chusteveb
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Yes exactly, code the fake sound out and the valves will keep fonctionning with the button.
Perrrfect.
I was able to use Bimmercode to go into the RAM module and deactivate the Active Sound and then go into Activation Codes and delete the Activation code but not before saving a back up copy in case I ever want to reactivate it. No more fake sound! And the exhaust button now controls the valves only.
Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 2
PLF693766.00
Wardy8258.50
      05-17-2023, 12:50 PM   #94
Team Tonka
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 xDrive Comp.

If you code ASD off to loose the interior fake noise - wouldn't the popcorn pops disappear as well? I've yet to get ASD coded off with Bimmercode - has never worked for me.

Quote:
You have three choices.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 12:56 PM   #95
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Tonka View Post
If you code ASD off to loose the interior fake noise - wouldn't the popcorn pops disappear as well? I've yet to get ASD coded off with Bimmercode - has never worked for me.
Coding ASD OFF only removes interior sound.

The exhaust button (no coding) turns interior sound off and pops off.

ASD coded off in bimmercode now makes the exhaust button only control the valve loudness. Pops and bangs stay put.
      05-17-2023, 07:36 PM   #96
KKSigs
M4 CSL FBG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL FBG

I have not coded it out yet but my only concern it says that when you deactivate ASD from activation codes I need to export the activation or put it on the cloud. What does this mean. Doesn’t BimmerCode make an automatic backup so you can revert back without any issues?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 07:39 PM   #97
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKSigs View Post
I have not coded it out yet but my only concern it says that when you deactivate ASD from activation codes I need to export the activation or put it on the cloud. What does this mean. Doesn’t BimmerCode make an automatic backup so you can revert back without any issues?
I dont know how that works. But I would like to know as well.
      05-24-2023, 10:58 AM   #98
Team Tonka
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Far as I can tell I have it coded off, but still get the burbles and can turn off with OEM exhaust button. And I have an exhaust valve controller, so with valves fully open the OEM exhaust button should not make burbles with it coded to off I'd think. Sounds like fake noise out of rear speakers to me.

Quote:
Coding ASD OFF only removes interior sound.

The exhaust button (no coding) turns interior sound off and pops off.

ASD coded off in bimmercode now makes the exhaust button only control the valve loudness. Pops and bangs stay put.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 11:12 AM   #99
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Far as I can tell I have it coded off, but still get the burbles and can turn off with OEM exhaust button. And I have an exhaust valve controller, so with valves fully open the OEM exhaust button should not make burbles with it coded to off I'd think. Sounds like fake noise out of rear speakers to me.
Just to make sure we are on the same page.

OEM mode, the exhaust button controls interior sound, exhaust valve open amount, and the exhaust burbles. It either turns them all on of off.

If you turn exhaust button OFF, you get no interior fake sound. NO pops and bangs and the exhaust valve is not open as much.

If you disabled ASD. That ONLY. REPEAT. ONLY removes the fake interior sound. (at least that's how I understand it)

So now that you have disabled ASD. Your exhaust button now only controls 2 of the 3 things. Now the exhaust button only controls if you hear burble pops and bangs and how open or closes your valve is.

NOW if you add a valve controller and override it to FULL OPEN. With ASD coded off. Now that exhaust button is ONLY controlling your burble pops and bangs.
      05-24-2023, 11:16 AM   #100
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:

OEM mode, the exhaust button controls interior sound, exhaust valve open amount, and the exhaust burbles. It either turns them all on of off.

If you turn exhaust button OFF, you get no interior fake sound. NO pops and bangs and the exhaust valve is not open as much.

If you disabled ASD. That ONLY. REPEAT. ONLY removes the fake interior sound. (at least that's how I understand it)

So now that you have disabled ASD. Your exhaust button now only controls 2 of the 3 things. Now the exhaust button only controls if you hear burble pops and bangs and how open or closes your valve is.

NOW if you add a valve controller and override it to FULL OPEN. With ASD coded off. Now that exhaust button is ONLY controlling your burble pops and bangs.

this is all accurate per my testing as well. I will just add that the amount that the button influences the physical valve position seems to be very minimal, which i believe is why many people end up thinking that disabling ASD is also physically affecting the valves. The vast majority of the sound difference (aside from the burbles) that you can notice in the cabin when pressing the button is coming from the ASD.
Appreciate 1
BIGW0RM3156.00
      05-24-2023, 11:20 AM   #101
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
this is all accurate per my testing as well. I will just add that the amount that the button influences the physical valve position seems to be very minimal, which i believe is why many people end up thinking that disabling ASD is also physically affecting the valves. The vast majority of the sound difference that you can notice in the cabin when pressing the button is coming from the ASD.
I 100% agree on the valve movement. Its not much. OEMs full open looks like 30% open to me.

I also totally agree how loud the fake noise is. Its a lot! I was blasting my stereo a few weeks back to some 90's rap. I was probably 75-80% max volume and turned the ASD off with the button. OMG. The musics bass hits sounded SO much cleaner.

I would turn mine off. But I find it way to quiet with it off and only a stock exhaust with valve controller. But man, ASD its really loud and deep!
      05-24-2023, 01:21 PM   #102
Team Tonka
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Aren't the burbles I'm hearing the fake OEM sound? Sure can't hear the burbles outside the car IMO, so was always assuming the burbles are the ASD fake sounds coming from the speakers. I'd assume the only way to get burbles would be if the OEM exhaust button changes some type of programming in the ECU (vs. just opening valves a little). I don't hear the same burbles with exhaust valves all the way open and OEM exhaust button off.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 01:45 PM   #103
chris3g
Major
Rep

Quote:
Aren't the burbles I'm hearing the fake OEM sound? Sure can't hear the burbles outside the car IMO, so was always assuming the burbles are the ASD fake sounds coming from the speakers. I'd assume the only way to get burbles would be if the OEM exhaust button changes some type of programming in the ECU (vs. just opening valves a little). I don't hear the same burbles with exhaust valves all the way open and OEM exhaust button off.
Burbles are real and adjusting some ecu parameters is exactly what the button is doing. If you have a full factory exhaust though with both sets of cats and resonators , they are very muffled. With downpipes and midpipe they are very loud and obnoxious.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2023, 09:56 PM   #104
MMnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

There are a fair bit options for ASD adjustment if you dare to try
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 09:51 AM   #105
chujk1985
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 X Comp

Is there a definitive way to disable ASD for iDrive8 yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 10:11 AM   #106
chris3g
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chujk1985 View Post
Is there a definitive way to disable ASD for iDrive8 yet?
Deleting the activation code completely disables it easily on idrive8.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 10:34 AM   #107
chujk1985
Major
Rep

Quote:
Deleting the activation code completely disables it easily on idrive8.
are there instructions on how to do so?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 11:16 AM   #108
chris3g
Major
Rep

Quote:
are there instructions on how to do so?
open bimmercode, connect to the car, connect to the Receiver Audio Module (RAM), select "activation codes" at the bottom. Select the "ASD" activation code (the one with the green dot), select "Deactivate activation code".

If you do it with the engine running and in sport+ (max ASD) you will hear it disable on-the-fly once the activation code is deactivated, it should get significantly quieter in the car.

If you want to turn it back on, do the same process and select to restore the activation code. When turning it back on it does not happen live, the module needs to be restarted first before the ASD comes back on.

Lastly, it's a good idea to make a cloud copy of the bimmercode folder on your phone because if you lose the activation code backup that it creates, you won't be able to turn it back on.
Appreciate 4
      06-06-2023, 11:59 AM   #109
chujk1985
Major
Rep

Quote:
open bimmercode, connect to the car, connect to the Receiver Audio Module (RAM), select "activation codes" at the bottom. Select the "ASD" activation code (the one with the green dot), select "Deactivate activation code".

If you do it with the engine running and in sport+ (max ASD) you will hear it disable on-the-fly once the activation code is deactivated, it should get significantly quieter in the car.

If you want to turn it back on, do the same process and select to restore the activation code. When turning it back on it does not happen live, the module needs to be restarted first before the ASD comes back on.

Lastly, it's a good idea to make a cloud copy of the bimmercode folder on your phone because if you lose the activation code backup that it creates, you won't be able to turn it back on.
Stupid question but what are activation codes? Also, is it okay to run bimmercode while car is on? I thought it goes into diagnostic mode or something (Bimmercode newb here)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 12:09 PM   #110
chris3g
Major
Rep

Quote:
Stupid question but what are activation codes? Also, is it okay to run bimmercode while car is on? I thought it goes into diagnostic mode or something (Bimmercode newb here)
They are encrypted codes that are specific to your vehicle that enable certain features.

Typically you do coding in diag mode but in this case it is safe to to disable asd with the engine running (I’ve done it many times on my own car) and doing it this way will allow you to really hear the difference as it happens.
Appreciate 0