BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-10-2022, 03:56 AM   #45
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Car

I've a G80 M3 X drive due for delivery early April. When I drove the demo I was able to switch off the 'Sound Control'. Does this render the exhaust button redundant, or are the exhaust valves now decoupled from the 'fake' noise played over the speakers?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 07:55 AM   #46
Aidinf
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4GTS View Post
I've a G80 M3 X drive due for delivery early April. When I drove the demo I was able to switch off the 'Sound Control'. Does this render the exhaust button redundant, or are the exhaust valves now decoupled from the 'fake' noise played over the speakers?
How could you switch the Sound Control off?

If you used the exhaust botton, you closed the valves as well affecting the real sound.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 03:02 AM   #47
Teets41
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moproblems View Post
I coded it off with bimmercode, it worked just fine as far as I can tell.
Do you have any concerns on voiding the warranty with coding out something like this? I know it's minor but just curious to hear your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 07:46 AM   #48
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidinf View Post

If you used the exhaust botton, you closed the valves as well affecting the real sound.
There's an option in the iDrive for it now.
Appreciate 3
Spiffx448.00
Aidinf8.50
V's M39.00
      02-15-2022, 08:32 AM   #49
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teets41 View Post
Do you have any concerns on voiding the warranty with coding out something like this? I know it's minor but just curious to hear your thoughts.
What's a warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 08:46 AM   #50
Spiffx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 992 Carrera

Quote:
Quote:

Please post a picture of the option in iDrive.
      02-15-2022, 09:55 AM   #51
Aidinf
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80

Quote:
Are you sure the option only turns off the fake sound? and doesn't close the actual valves?

I know there is a setting in the iDrive to adjust the exhaust for M1 and M2 modes, but it closes the valves as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 11:00 AM   #52
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure the option only turns off the fake sound? and doesn't close the actual valves?

I know there is a setting in the iDrive to adjust the exhaust for M1 and M2 modes, but it closes the valves as well.
I don't have the car yet. I did this in the idrive of a G83 I test drove.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 11:06 AM   #53
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffx View Post
Please post a picture of the option in iDrive.
Quote:

Quote:
I don't have the car yet. I did this in the idrive of a G83 I test drove.

Its under car, settings and in the M menu.

I believe the valves do stay open even when you toggle that setting in idrive? I tested this, this morning. I turned off sound in idrive and my exhaust button down near the start button stayed on? Still sounded loud.

I think pressing the button down by the start button turns off the valves and sound.

At least that's how I seem think mine works.
M4GTS65.50
      02-15-2022, 11:13 AM   #54
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Its under car, settings and in the M menu.

I believe the valves do stay open even when you toggle that setting in idrive? I tested this, this morning. I turned off sound in idrive and my exhaust button down near the start button stayed on? Still sounded loud.

I think pressing the button down by the start button turns off the valves and sound.

At least that's how I seem think mine works.
So it's just the active sound that is off, and no impact to exhaust valve operation? If this is the case, I guess it's an update on newer cars based on the comments above?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 11:21 AM   #55
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
So it's just the active sound that is off, and no impact to exhaust valve operation? If this is the case, I guess it's an update on newer cars based on the comments above?
Correct. I just tested it to confirm too. 100% positive.

Now, I did just get my software updated. My car had the update screen totally missing so they had to flash my car to whatever the full latest update was.

I also have the CG precision valve controller. I tested the above with it in OEM mode AND in full open override mode. I was able to turn off interior active sound with the valve controller in full open or in OEM mode.

Personally, I like the CG controller because in full open every start sounds much better. It makes efficent mode sound nice. And I dont have to be in hyper throttle sport plus to hear my exhaust. It makes efficient sound DEEP.

So even if your software does not support keeping the valve open when you turn interior active sound off, you could just get the controller and have them open 24/7 even with interior sound off. And or you can turn it off and go back into OEM mode for pure silence.
V's M39.00
      02-15-2022, 11:30 AM   #56
Spiffx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Correct. I just tested it to confirm too. 100% positive.

Now, I did just get my software updated. My car had the update screen totally missing so they had to flash my car to whatever the full latest update was.

I also have the CG precision valve controller. I tested the above with it in OEM mode AND in full open override mode. I was able to turn off interior active sound with the valve controller in full open or in OEM mode.

Personally, I like the CG controller because in full open every start sounds much better. It makes efficent mode sound nice. And I dont have to be in hyper throttle sport plus to hear my exhaust. It makes efficient sound DEEP.

So even if your software does not support keeping the valve open when you turn interior active sound off, you could just get the controller and have them open 24/7 even with interior sound off. And or you can turn it off and go back into OEM mode for pure silence.
Pardon my lack of knowledge. I'm a noob.

Would greatly appreciate if you could let us know what is a "CG precision valve controller." What it is, BMW or aftermarket, how it is installed (easy or requires a mechanic), and any other info you can share.
      02-15-2022, 11:37 AM   #57
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffx View Post
Pardon my lack of knowledge. I'm a noob.

Would greatly appreciate if you could let us know what is a "CG precision valve controller." What it is, BMW or aftermarket, how it is installed (easy or requires a mechanic), and any other info you can share.
The exhaust valve opens and closes how BMW sees fit. To get it the most OPEN (around 70%) you need to be in sport plus mode.

CG precision is a little box gizmo that plugs into the valves activators near the muffler under the car. It intercepts the BMW signal allowing you to FULLY open or run in OEM mode how you see fit. They give you two keyfobs with an on/off buttons. You take those and program them to your mirror home link buttons. One for activated (full open) and the other for OEM mode.

Its a couple hundred bucks and you get to choose how you want it to act at every start up. Most choose FULL OPEN every start and OEM mode when you want to be silent.

Check this post out for what it looks like and how you install it. It literally takes 25 mins to install. No jack needed. But lifting one side would give you more room to work.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=16
M4GTS65.50
PLF693766.00
      02-15-2022, 11:41 AM   #58
Spiffx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The exhaust valve opens and closes how BMW sees fit. To get it the most OPEN (around 70%) you need to be in sport plus mode.

CG precision is a little box gizmo that plugs into the valves activators near the muffler under the car. It intercepts the BMW signal allowing you to FULLY open or run in OEM mode how you see fit. They give you two keyfobs with an on/off buttons. You take those and program them to your mirror home link buttons. One for activated (full open) and the other for OEM mode.

Its a couple hundred bucks and you get to choose how you want it to act at every start up. Most choose FULL OPEN every start and OEM mode when you want to be silent.

Check this post out for what it looks like and how you install it. It literally takes 25 mins to install. No jack needed. But lifting one side would give you more room to work.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8;postcount=16
Thank you for this very comprehensive and helpful answer BIGWORM. Greatly appreciated!
BIGW0RM3156.00
      02-18-2022, 08:01 AM   #59
RichardGM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 CS

I coded the Active Sound off using BimmerCode to test it about a week ago and I've left it off, as I prefer the sounds of the car without the sound being piped into the cabin. I didn't have an issue with the piped-in noise, it's actually pretty good, however I was looking for things to code as a lot of the stuff I coded on my F82 you can now do natively through the car's settings.

You still get the fart noise on upshift with it coded off and the exhaust valves still work the same in Sport / Sport+ modes. I've decided to leave it off, I may try changing it back at some point to see how it compares after driving with it off but at the moment it's nice not to have the piped noises.
Appreciate 1
Spiffx448.00
      02-19-2022, 07:57 AM   #60
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardGM4 View Post
I coded the Active Sound off using BimmerCode to test it about a week ago and I've left it off, as I prefer the sounds of the car without the sound being piped into the cabin. I didn't have an issue with the piped-in noise, it's actually pretty good, however I was looking for things to code as a lot of the stuff I coded on my F82 you can now do natively through the car's settings.

You still get the fart noise on upshift with it coded off and the exhaust valves still work the same in Sport / Sport+ modes. I've decided to leave it off, I may try changing it back at some point to see how it compares after driving with it off but at the moment it's nice not to have the piped noises.
Is there anyone that likes the fart noise? I hate it. It's one of the big reasons I haven't let my car upgrade
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 11:40 AM   #61
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
What fart noises? I havent heard my car fart? At least not like the F8X series did. That series had a massive FART.
      02-19-2022, 02:23 PM   #62
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
What fart noises? I havent heard my car fart? At least not like the F8X series did. That series had a massive FART.
After the last software update when the car upshifts it makes this low rumble farting noise. Same on my friend's X3M. I don't like it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 02:50 AM   #63
RichardGM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 CS

I coded ASD back on yesterday and drove the car for a couple of miles, then stopped and coded it back off for the rest of the journey home.

I definitely prefer the car with ASD off, as now I've got used to the sound of the engine on its own, I much prefer it over having the piped in noise too. The ASD noise seems overly boomy and you can't really hear the engine properly, at least not at the lower end of the rev range.

So comparison over for me - I'll be leaving ASD deactivated.
Appreciate 1
TENPIN330.50
      02-20-2022, 11:04 AM   #64
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
After the last software update when the car upshifts it makes this low rumble farting noise. Same on my friend's X3M. I don't like it.
Do you know what the latest software version is? I recently had mine reflashed at the dealer because the "update" section was missing in my idrive. Once they reflashed my car, the update section returned an I was able to check for any other additional OTA updates. Mine didn't show any other additional updates. But I dont think my car farts. At least nothing like the F series M cars I had did or my F10 M5 did. This is interesting.
      01-14-2023, 05:46 AM   #65
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Gents

I now have a G80 M3 with ID8. The M Sound button definitely closes the exhaust valves. Any way to sitch off ASD (pull a fuse?), but have valves open?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 08:24 AM   #66
Asmedbeats
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 M3 Comp Xdrive  [0.00]
2023 M3 Comp Xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Gents

I now have a G80 M3 with ID8. The M Sound button definitely closes the exhaust valves. Any way to sitch off ASD (pull a fuse?), but have valves open?
I used bimmercode. Need to contact them to get the TestFlight prerelease app.
Appreciate 1
M4GTS65.50