BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-14-2024, 01:17 PM   #1
Greggoryy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model X Plaid

Coded out ASD completely in ID8 (‘24 M3 6MT) and the fake sound was all gone in all drive modes including sport plus.

Installed the SST controller over the weekend and as soon as I turn the flaps on 100% or even 50% the fake sounds turns on again! I have to press the C button to put it back to OEM for the ASD to go away. I double checked in BimmerCode and the activation codes are still off. Checked expert mode as well and everything ASD is deactivated.

Anyone experiencing the same thing or have any advice?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 01:56 PM   #2
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
I mean...opening the valves is literally making the car louder. There's no ASD to trigger if it's off.

Sport+ without the valve controller only opens the valves like 20-30%, which is why full open sounds louder normally. You're hearing the difference of 0% to 100% vs 0% to 20% from before.

You're just hearing the louder car lol.
Appreciate 3
      03-14-2024, 02:04 PM   #3
Greggoryy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
I mean...opening the valves is literally making the car louder. There's no ASD to trigger if it's off.

Sport+ without the valve controller only opens the valves like 20-30%, which is why full open sounds louder normally. You're hearing the difference of 0% to 100% vs 0% to 20% from before.

You're just hearing the louder car lol.
I hoped thought that was the case but they really sounded like the fake ASD sounds I turned off, especially at startup and under load. Valve open at 100% sounded exactly like sport plus with ASD before I coded it out. The drone between 2-3k RPM is also very loud. I tested this in a parking lot while idling and the sound is definitively turned on from the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 02:21 PM   #4
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggoryy View Post
I hoped thought that was the case but they really sounded like the fake ASD sounds I turned off, especially at startup and under load. Valve open at 100% sounded exactly like sport plus with ASD before I coded it out. The drone between 2-3k RPM is also very loud. I tested this in a parking lot while idling and the sound is definitively turned on from the speakers.
I guarantee you there's no fake sounds if you have ASD decoded with the activation code off. Especially if all you're doing is closing the flap/putting it back to OEM and the sound is "going away," the valves absolutely do not control anything ASD-related.

ASD is designed to sound like the stock exhaust, so just hearing it "louder" can maybe trick you into thinking ASD is coming back on. If you do anything else to your exhaust like a midpipe swap, it'll make it much more obvious it's not ASD.
Appreciate 2
      03-14-2024, 02:28 PM   #5
Greggoryy
United_States
Rep

Thanks I feel a bit better knowing it’s not all fake! It’s already kind of loud I’m not sure I can handle a midpipe but thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 06:42 PM   #6
Jax327
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition Xdrive

Garage List
Its going to be a lot louder with the valve controller and midpipe. When you put it in mode c with asd off now it will be so much quieter, it basically dead silent then when you open the valves fully it changes the tone so much that you think its on because of the drone.
Appreciate 2
KevinGS3359.00
      03-20-2024, 03:38 PM   #7
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax327 View Post
Its going to be a lot louder with the valve controller and midpipe. When you put it in mode c with asd off now it will be so much quieter, it basically dead silent then when you open the valves fully it changes the tone so much that you think its on because of the drone.
So there's some drone, like ASD drone, with the valves 100% open? I guess that makes sense. Glad there's the option to use Sport Plus with the stock valve (partial opening) setting with the SST controller, as it sounds like that may occasionally be nice in some situations.

Installing mine soon once I have a little time. Studying up on the trunk install method.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 09:07 PM   #8
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
So there's some drone, like ASD drone, with the valves 100% open? I guess that makes sense. Glad there's the option to use Sport Plus with the stock valve (partial opening) setting with the SST controller, as it sounds like that may occasionally be nice in some situations.

Installing mine soon once I have a little time. Studying up on the trunk install method.
Forcing the valves open 100% will cause some drone at lower engine loads at 1700-2000rpm, that's probably why BMW has the staggered valve opening based on engine load by default.

Putting the valves back to OEM control eliminates it though.
Appreciate 1
KevinGS3359.00
      03-21-2024, 04:06 AM   #9
Jax327
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post

With a midpipe and valves open at 100% it’s basically the straight pipe car, hence why it’s very loud and some droning.
Appreciate 1
KevinGS3359.00
      03-21-2024, 02:36 PM   #10
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax327 View Post
With a midpipe and valves open at 100% it’s basically the straight pipe car, hence why it’s very loud and some droning.
This is an area where the Awron Canflap shines.

You can set up in the software to close the valves in a specific RPM range to cut out the drone caused by some aftermarket exhaust setups.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
KevinGS3359.00
      03-22-2024, 12:51 PM   #11
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggoryy View Post
Thanks I feel a bit better knowing it’s not all fake! It’s already kind of loud I’m not sure I can handle a midpipe but thanks!
Yep, I have ASD off on my car and after I installed the VSC-2 valve controller, the drone was very pronounced.
Drone range and tone changes as the exhaust pipes warm up but yeah, it's much louder than stock and you're hearing the louder exhaust tone
Appreciate 1