BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-23-2021, 03:18 PM   #1
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Programming Homelink without Remote

Has anyone had success programming their garage door without a remote with homelink?

Long story short, I have misplaced my remote for the garage door opener and trying to program my homelink by following the manual and can't get it to work. I have read online it's possible and tried other suggestions but I have had no luck.

If you were able to program it without the remote please provide the steps.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13021.50
      10-23-2021, 05:10 PM   #2
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
Has anyone had success programming their garage door without a remote with homelink?

Long story short, I have misplaced my remote for the garage door opener and trying to program my homelink by following the manual and can't get it to work. I have read online it's possible and tried other suggestions but I have had no luck.

Your garage door opener should have a learn button located in the head unit. Pull your car up to the garage and clear your homelike by holding the 1 and 3 button until the light blinks rapidly. You should have a second person to assist and have them hold down the learn button while you use the 3 button to program it after you have cleared it. All of My BMW'S are programmed this way.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13021.50
      10-23-2021, 05:40 PM   #3
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
Quote:

Your garage door opener should have a learn button located in the head unit. Pull your car up to the garage and clear your homelike by holding the 1 and 3 button until the light blinks rapidly. You should have a second person to assist and have them hold down the learn button while you use the 3 button to program it after you have cleared it. All of My BMW'S are programmed this way.
I have tried that multiple times and no luck. After clearing by pressing 1 and 3, I press the learn button on the garage and within 30 seconds I press button 1 on the homelink and nothing. I have done it the other way around too where I press button 1 and then the learn button on the garage. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 07:07 PM   #4
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
Quote:

I have tried that multiple times and no luck. After clearing by pressing 1 and 3, I press the learn button on the garage and within 30 seconds I press button 1 on the homelink and nothing. I have done it the other way around too where I press button 1 and then the learn button on the garage. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
it wont work for 1 button. You have to program it to button 3. Believe me, I tried it.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 07:30 PM   #5
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

You have to train the opener with the remote your missing. Do you have a keypad remote outside the door, if so you could use that. You need a working transmitter that you can get close enough to the button (any of the three, makes no difference) you wish to train.

One you have the mirror trained then you need to have the powerhead learn the rolling code from the mirror which is what the others explained and why it is easier to have a second person to help.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 09:42 PM   #6
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:

Go to Amazon and get a new remote for cheap.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13021.50
      10-23-2021, 10:47 PM   #7
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:

I haven't been able to make this work on my F82 M4 either.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 11:14 PM   #8
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edofloat View Post
You have to train the opener with the remote your missing. Do you have a keypad remote outside the door, if so you could use that. You need a working transmitter that you can get close enough to the button (any of the three, makes no difference) you wish to train.

One you have the mirror trained then you need to have the powerhead learn the rolling code from the mirror which is what the others explained and why it is easier to have a second person to help.
I was only given two remotes when the house was built, no keypad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Go to Amazon and get a new remote for cheap.
That's what I ended up doing. Should have the remote in by tomorrow.

You would think if you can program a remote you should be able to program the homelink too.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13021.50
      10-23-2021, 11:31 PM   #9
drzoom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46, E63, F15, G80

It's annoying, but I think the difference is that when you buy a remote for a specific garage opener, the latter knows what signal to latch on. The home link system supports many systems so it needs to learn the frequency and/or pattern used before it can be programmed for a specific system.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2021, 07:18 AM   #10
Kminor2578
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:

Was in the same situation , new house and misplaced the remotes when the guys installed the openers. I tried a bunch of times using the learning function on the motor itself but with no luck. Heck even with the remote it's a pain to do. I use myQ 99% of the time now anyway, great if your one of those people (like me) that drive off and forget if you closed the door or not. You can retro fit your garage door opens for 25 bucks (myQ Chamberlain Smart Garage Control - Wireless Garage Hub and Sensor with Wifi & Bluetooth - Smartphone Controlled, New Design, myQ-G0401-ES, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GD3D9YJ...UTF8&psc=1) it did it for my parents and brother takes like 10 minutes to set up.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 09:05 AM   #11
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kminor2578 View Post
Was in the same situation , new house and misplaced the remotes when the guys installed the openers. I tried a bunch of times using the learning function on the motor itself but with no luck. Heck even with the remote it's a pain to do. I use myQ 99% of the time now anyway, great if your one of those people (like me) that drive off and forget if you closed the door or not. You can retro fit your garage door opens for 25 bucks (myQ Chamberlain Smart Garage Control - Wireless Garage Hub and Sensor with Wifi & Bluetooth - Smartphone Controlled, New Design, myQ-G0401-ES, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GD3D9YJ...UTF8&psc=1) it did it for my parents and brother takes like 10 minutes to set up.
I'm thinking of switching to chamberlain altogether. I had it in my previous house and loved it. Currently I have a rinky dink Genie and not impressed with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 02:22 PM   #12
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Problem solved. Bought a remote from Amazon to program the homelink. Got it working in few minutes.
Appreciate 4
chicagofan0018923.00
JDUNITNOW3453.00
Limegrntaln13021.50
      10-25-2021, 06:40 PM   #13
Kminor2578
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Problem solved. Bought a remote from Amazon to program the homelink. Got it working in few minutes.

If you can buy maid service from Amazon I was sure you can get remotes to work!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 07:13 PM   #14
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Thanks for reminding me to program mine, tomorrow when I get my car back from tint. Can anyone confirm the homelink works with the car off? If it does, becareful parking the car in the driveway, at night.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 08:30 PM   #15
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Thanks for reminding me to program mine, tomorrow when I get my car back from tint. Can anyone confirm the homelink works with the car off? If it does, becareful parking the car in the driveway, at night.
Unfortunately, it does work with the car off. You can program it with the car off too.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13021.50
      10-25-2021, 09:09 PM   #16
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Unfortunately, it does work with the car off. You can program it with the car off too.
Yeah, I dont know why they do. But, my guess is, because its just a simple transmitter.

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 01:08 PM   #17
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Ummmm... I think once the car is shut off and the courtesy timer (about a minute) expires and/or the car is locked, then the power to the homelink is off as well.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 11:54 AM   #18
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Ummmm... I think once the car is shut off and the courtesy timer (about a minute) expires and/or the car is locked, then the power to the homelink is off as well.
correct. needs ACC power.

Regardless, electronic garage doors should not be considered secure egress into your house. They are relatively easy to defeat. You should always have a secure metal door that is locked from garage to house.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 08:23 PM   #19
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M (on order)

Quote:
I programmed my car's universal transmitter by myself with the car off (in ready state). The one 'gotcha' was reactivating ready state before proceeding to the next programming step inside the car.
Appreciate 0