BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-21-2021, 11:35 AM   #23
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 / 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmy View Post
Where did you sell your vette if you don't mind me asking? I'm currently trying to see if I can sell my 21' RS5 SB for enough to cover the payoff and get an M3, but so far i've been offered pretty meh offers from Carvana and Carmax. I don't think they're quite appraising these vehicles right. I've gotten a pretty good trade in offer at one place which w/ the trade in would give me just about pay off, but they didn't have the car I want. I'm trying to see if maybe private party somewhere would be the way to go.

Also $5000 off MSRP? That's pretty surprising! From what I understanding getting MSRP is a good deal these days.
I traded my C8 into Enterprise BMW in Appleton, Wis. - Working with Ron Hayes.

Had the same weak offers from Carmax, etc. - And then would have had to pay full boat on the sales tax so I jumped at this deal! Good luck - It took me a some time to sniff this one out... I informed my local dealer (Milwaukee) what I wanted to do and they didn't even bother to call me back and I bought 2 X5's in the past 2 yrs from them - Pretty lame.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13014.00
      10-21-2021, 12:02 PM   #24
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
I've owned 5 or 6 Corvettes, the last was a C7. You really cannot beat it, bang for the buck.

The downside is that it's still a Chevy.

I never considered the C8 because of the transmission. And for me, personally, I don't think it's attractive.

I did follow one around VIR once, and it is fast.
I'm with you on the looks. I get looks are subjective, which is why I don't fault people for not liking the G80 (which I think is a great looking car).

The C8 does absolutely nothing for me. I do not think its a good looking car, at all.
I agree on the C8 styling, the rear end screams Camaro and the front is too much like McClaren. It's almost as if Chevy couldn't make their own design fully after the mess they made with their trucks/Tahoe/Blazer.

Every time I see one, usually 1-2 a day here, it's just another car. I don't see people getting excited about them on the streets like they do for a G8X or 911 GT3 for example. The Z06 will certainly be a monster and sound amazing. I wonder if Chevy can sort out the flat plane crank issues that plagued the GT350 for Ford assuming it has similar ones.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 12:27 PM   #25
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I agree on the C8 styling, the rear end screams Camaro and the front is too much like McClaren. It's almost as if Chevy couldn't make their own design fully after the mess they made with their trucks/Tahoe/Blazer.

Every time I see one, usually 1-2 a day here, it's just another car. I don't see people getting excited about them on the streets like they do for a G8X or 911 GT3 for example. The Z06 will certainly be a monster and sound amazing. I wonder if Chevy can sort out the flat plane crank issues that plagued the GT350 for Ford assuming it has similar ones.
There's C8s everywhere near me. I probably see 6-7 a day, if not more. I agree, its just another car.

I had someone taking pictures (or maybe it was a video) of my car leaving the gas station the other day. I also have people weaving around to get next to me. Maybe that will change over the lifespan of the G8X as they become more common.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2021, 12:32 PM   #26
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post

There's C8s everywhere near me. I probably see 6-7 a day, if not more. I agree, its just another car.

I had someone taking pictures (or maybe it was a video) of my car leaving the gas station the other day. I also have people weaving around to get next to me. Maybe that will change over the lifespan of the G8X as they become more common.
I agree, people go out of their way to see my G80, it's sort of crazy. Maybe it's the color, style, who knows. There are only 2 others I know of in my immediate area so perhaps they plays a role. I also live in an area with a lot of car enthusiasts, a guy in a new Escalade made an effort to pull next to me, roll down his window, and give a thumbs up.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 05:15 PM   #27
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
I guess it varies on location.

I can't even go 3 blocks in my "old" C7 without people breaking their necks or giving me the thumbs up. The last 2 times at the gas station, i had 2 random people come up to my car to check it out. I don't mind it but it is annoying when you literally wanna get gas and leave. But they had kids that wanted to see it so of course i'll let them check it out.

When i get the C8Z, i'm gonna be the fucking man in town LOL
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3453.00
      10-21-2021, 06:52 PM   #28
Alvinmark12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 G82

Every Corvette owner by me is 75 years old wearing white New Balance sneakers. I love the car just too small for long road trips.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13014.00
      10-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #29
dimmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp AWD IOMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garycoral View Post
I traded my C8 into Enterprise BMW in Appleton, Wis. - Working with Ron Hayes.

Had the same weak offers from Carmax, etc. - And then would have had to pay full boat on the sales tax so I jumped at this deal! Good luck - It took me a some time to sniff this one out... I informed my local dealer (Milwaukee) what I wanted to do and they didn't even bother to call me back and I bought 2 X5's in the past 2 yrs from them - Pretty lame.
Thanks for the clarification! I think the problem is a lot of these sites are not properly weighing in the options of these cars or in general are not in the market for the higher end vehicles.

I've had a private dealer offer 80k and using an Audi dealer's "Trade in" tool on their site shows a "CarMax history" based estimated trade in offer of 85k - so we'll see what they actually come back with.

I'm hoping to get as much leverage as I can, and if I can get at least 80k trade in the sales tax savings should offset most of the negativity equity rolled into the new loan, which coupled with the lower 0.9% rate will have a close enough total loan balance. We'll see!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 02:29 PM   #30
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
This. The side profile of the car irks me. It feels like there's a weird rake to it and the front end seems too short for the car, while the rear end looks overly long - I'm assuming this is due to the ME, but it doesn't flow. I also don't like the side vent/trim piece; it looks stuck on and an after thought. Most also come with this rather large spoiler/wing, which I think just doesn't fit the car. When I first saw it, I thought it resembled a Mclaren. Definitely do not feel that way anymore.
Exactly. From the side, the C8 looks terrible--too short hood, too long rear. They had to have the "trunk" space, so butchered the design for it. Does look like a McLaren--which I also don't care for style-wise. Great powertrain, nice interior, but I much preferred my '18 C7 exterior. Very pleased with my M4C--faster,--especially at altitude here, better looking (imo) and much more luxurious. Hope you guys get your Zs and report on them. Will be checking Corvette Forum, as well. Just--don't hold your breathe and be ready to pay $30K--minimum, over MSRP
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #31
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteflier View Post
Exactly. From the side, the C8 looks terrible--too short hood, too long rear. They had to have the "trunk" space, so butchered the design for it. Does look like a McLaren--which I also don't care for style-wise. Great powertrain, nice interior, but I much preferred my '18 C7 exterior. Very pleased with my M4C--faster,--especially at altitude here, better looking (imo) and much more luxurious. Hope you guys get your Zs and report on them. Will be checking Corvette Forum, as well. Just--don't hold your breathe and be ready to pay $30K--minimum, over MSRP
All true words... But I did appreciate the odd design when I needed to fit two sets of golf clubs in the back going to golf. The Z06 is even less interesting to me... I wanted to move to go a little under the radar and the Z06 will be anything but - Including the pricing crazyness!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 05:18 PM   #32
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
MM will be selling their z06's to those who are already on the list at MSRP.

Pretty sure they're not going to blow up their reputation just because they see an opportunity to become instant millionaires by marking up each z06 they sell by 30-50k.

I will be getting mine at MSRP. And the C8Z will absolutely look better than the C7Z. It'll finally look like a supercar.
Appreciate 1
BMoney47.00
      10-22-2021, 06:11 PM   #33
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinmark12 View Post
Every Corvette owner by me is 75 years old wearing white New Balance sneakers. I love the car just too small for long road trips.
This just sealed it for me, now that you mention it, where I am almost all the people driving newer Corvettes are Q-tips just like Florida.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 07:45 PM   #34
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinmark12 View Post
white New Balance.
I love it.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 11:47 PM   #35
billings86er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 Comp Xdrive (sold).

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2023 (at port) G80x  [0.00]
Quote:
Faster? I dont know about that.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 03:36 AM   #36
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by billings86er View Post
Faster? I dont know about that.
C8's are running on average 11.2-11.4 real world. Pro drivers tested the car at 11.1 @ 122.

And the M4C definitely does not look better than a C8 lol

Pull up both cars at any spot and the C8 will get all the attention.

And that's still the base car. Styling cues and angles are meant for the WIDEBODY, which is coming next tuesday. The base car doesn't even look like the final product in terms of styling, and yet that still was a homerun for GM.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2021, 07:05 AM   #37
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
C8's are running on average 11.2-11.4 real world. Pro drivers tested the car at 11.1 @ 122.

And the M4C definitely does not look better than a C8 lol

Pull up both cars at any spot and the C8 will get all the attention.

And that's still the base car. Styling cues and angles are meant for the WIDEBODY, which is coming next tuesday. The base car doesn't even look like the final product in terms of styling, and yet that still was a homerun for GM.
I think there were 3 ingredients in the "Secret Sauce" produced by the C8 team that made it as you say a "Home Run" - Price, exotic exterior, sub 3 second 0-60... The Z06 will flame the price magic, the exterior has largely been displayed by the base, and once under 3 seconds does 2.6 or 2.7 really get folks all that interested? In my view the focus for the Z06 will be the engine sound/revs - Another case of them taking a thing only a Ferrari or LFA owner really got to enjoy and making it much more mainstream - Kudos Chevy! For me - This makes the Z even LESS appealing... I want a fun car to drive I can drive to work daily in Wisconsin - Not something exotic which I think the Z will be.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 07:55 AM   #38
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garycoral View Post
I think there were 3 ingredients in the "Secret Sauce" produced by the C8 team that made it as you say a "Home Run" - Price, exotic exterior, sub 3 second 0-60... The Z06 will flame the price magic, the exterior has largely been displayed by the base, and once under 3 seconds does 2.6 or 2.7 really get folks all that interested? In my view the focus for the Z06 will be the engine sound/revs - Another case of them taking a thing only a Ferrari or LFA owner really got to enjoy and making it much more mainstream - Kudos Chevy! For me - This makes the Z even LESS appealing... I want a fun car to drive I can drive to work daily in Wisconsin - Not something exotic which I think the Z will be.
If you think the Z will be all about 0-60 times you're sadly misinformed. The car was meant to destroy lap times and is rumored to break the 7 minute mark at the ring. Even the monster C7 ZR1 couldn't have done that.

Corvettes in general aren't meant for everyone so there really isn't a point to compare corvettes to the M3/M4. The corvette is in another league.

Especially since the main comparison is the BASE C8 vs "x" car.

There's still like 4 variants left in the C8 lineup lol.

GM will kill the competition before they go all EV for the corvette.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2021, 08:19 AM   #39
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

While some people may hop between the G80 and the C8, they're not really direct competitors. The entire point of the M3 has historically been about taking a compact, practical sedan, and adding drivetrain/braking/handling upgrades so that it can really perform...so that you could drive your family comfortably to the park, then take it to the track the next morning. The Corvette has always been a lightweight, plastic-y, V8 coupe. So, of course there's going to be some similarities and pissing contests between the two, but really I think it's mostly a moot point.
      10-23-2021, 08:40 AM   #40
dynamic
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

The GM/C8 hate posts in thread are as predictable as they are laughable.
Don't get me wrong, I love BMWs along with other performance vehicles and those of particular interest.
The C8 is a game changer for Corvette as is the new generation M3/M4s whether the purists living in the past realize it or not.
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2021, 08:46 AM   #41
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamic View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love BMWs along with other performance vehicles and those of particular interest.
The C8 is a game changer for Corvette as is the new generation M3/M4s whether the purists living in the past realize it or not.
Agreed.

Owned corvettes since the C5. Had each gen since then.

The C8 is the REAL DEAL. I am probably the most unbiased car person there is. I don't value just one car. If a car is that good, i keep buying them. Hence the corvette. I know when there's flaws, which all corvettes have but the upsides heavily outweigh the downsides.

The C8 z06 will absolutely rock the world come tuesday. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

The M3/M4 are amazing at what they do. They're family cars with power. Different class than the corvette. Always have always will.

They do not come close to corvette performance. Especially z06's and up.
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2021, 08:59 AM   #42
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m not sure how you can say someone’s opinion is “wrong.” I know nothing about the C8 drivability, quality, handling, acceleration, etc. My opinion is based entirely on looks. I do not like the way it looks. If that means I’m a “hater” or my opinion is “laughable” or “predictable” so be it.

I’m not taking anything away from what the car has to offer. I realize vettes have long been a value. I just don’t want to own one.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2021, 09:06 AM   #43
dynamic
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
I’m not sure how you can say someone’s opinion is “wrong.” I know nothing about the C8 drivability, quality, handling, acceleration, etc. My opinion is based entirely on looks. I do not like the way it looks. If that means I’m a “hater” or my opinion is “laughable” or “predictable” so be it.

I’m not taking anything away from what the car has to offer. I realize vettes have long been a value. I just don’t want to own one.
Not sure what you may believe you read.
At no point in my post have I claimed any one to be "wrong" which are your words and not mine. Merely making observations. All good here.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
      10-23-2021, 09:11 AM   #44
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what you may believe you read.
At no point in my post have I claimed any one to be "wrong" which are your words and not mine. Merely making observations. All good here.
Lol. Just laughable and predictable. Got it.
Appreciate 0