BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-17-2021, 12:16 PM   #1
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Impression from anyone who went from M3 CS to g80 M3comp

Can any former M3 CS owners that have moved onto the new M3 Comp please provide your impressions and reasons for switching? I love my CS but lease is coming up and I am also very intrigued by the new g80. Did anyone regret giving up the CS for their g80? Thanks for sharing your experiences
      10-17-2021, 01:35 PM   #2
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I loved my old M3 CS. The G80 is a comprehensive upgrade and I don’t miss the old car at all.
Appreciate 1
nathanm4682.00
      10-17-2021, 01:50 PM   #3
Mjanisse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS

My lease was up on my CS so I made the leap to the G80 Comp. I honestly miss my CS. Definitely more of a driver's car. The G80 makes more power but I definitely miss the violent shifts of the DCT. Also the G80 feels a lot higher in the driver's seat which I'm still trying to get used to. In the CS I always knew when I was right "on the edge" in cornering. So far I haven't achieved that confidence in the G80. Keep in mind I only have 700 miles on the G80 and 20k miles on the CS so I'm hoping with more seat time I'll get that confidence back. Exhaust on the G80 is also more subdued. No regrets but there are definitely attributes I miss. With that said, the G80 pulls really hard so what I miss in the CS is made up for in the brute HP. I honestly wish I could have both. Keyless entry and other creature comforts are appreciated in the G80 also. It was a tough decision to move on from the CS. However, I sold the CS to a 3rd party dealer, got out of lease 4mos early and made $6,500 which I used (partially) for drive off on my G80. One week after I sold the CS to Autonation, BMW changed their policy where you now cannot sell a leased vehicle to any other 3rd party dealer so I scored on the timing of getting out from under the CS. They really are two different cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 02:09 PM   #4
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjanisse View Post
My lease was up on my CS so I made the leap to the G80 Comp. I honestly miss my CS. Definitely more of a driver's car. The G80 makes more power but I definitely miss the violent shifts of the DCT. Also the G80 feels a lot higher in the driver's seat which I'm still trying to get used to. In the CS I always knew when I was right "on the edge" in cornering. So far I haven't achieved that confidence in the G80. Keep in mind I only have 700 miles on the G80 and 20k miles on the CS so I'm hoping with more seat time I'll get that confidence back. Exhaust on the G80 is also more subdued. No regrets but there are definitely attributes I miss. With that said, the G80 pulls really hard so what I miss in the CS is made up for in the brute HP. I honestly wish I could have both. Keyless entry and other creature comforts are appreciated in the G80 also. It was a tough decision to move on from the CS. However, I sold the CS to a 3rd party dealer, got out of lease 4mos early and made $6,500 which I used (partially) for drive off on my G80. One week after I sold the CS to Autonation, BMW changed their policy where you now cannot sell a leased vehicle to any other 3rd party dealer so I scored on the timing of getting out from under the CS. They really are two different cars.
This is a great insight. Seems like you love the CS for a lot of the same reasons I do. None of the "inconveniences" of the CS have ever really bothered me so things like keyless entry, dual climate, etc are not going to sway me. It's more the sporty "hooligan" driving, as you put it. That and it is more rare. Seems like the g80 is not quite as visceral of an experience? Would love to reach out to you once you put more miles on your g80 to see if your impressions change, if you don't mind.

Also, I had no idea I could not longer sell my car to a 3rd party. I was going to try the CarMax route. Guess that is no longer an option?
      10-17-2021, 02:46 PM   #5
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
This is a great insight. Seems like you love the CS for a lot of the same reasons I do. None of the "inconveniences" of the CS have ever really bothered me so things like keyless entry, dual climate, etc are not going to sway me. It's more the sporty "hooligan" driving, as you put it. That and it is more rare. Seems like the g80 is not quite as visceral of an experience? Would love to reach out to you once you put more miles on your g80 to see if your impressions change, if you don't mind.

Also, I had no idea I could not longer sell my car to a 3rd party. I was going to try the CarMax route. Guess that is no longer an option?
It is no longer an option on a BMWFS lease. There is a ton of profitability for BMWFS to captures by making lease ends captive.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 02:52 PM   #6
Mjanisse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS

Yeah, BMW just changed the policy a little over a week ago.....used market is crazy right now and 3rd parties were willing to pay a good premium for it. I also made $4k on my wife's X3M40i at Carmax and stepped her up to a 2022 X3M40i in Brooklyn Grey. The same color as my M3. Yeah, for sure. I've yet to take it on some of my favorite roads (Angeles Crest Highway, etc.) where I can push it a bit. By no means am I unhappy but the CS was definitely a unique vehicle. I've owned a few M cars M3 (F80, E46), M4 and F10 M5 Comp. The CS I enjoyed the most. Let's keep in touch. I'll keep ya updated. When is your lease up on the CS.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 02:58 PM   #7
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

If you can swing it, you might just buy your car using a lease buyout loan and then sell privately
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 03:02 PM   #8
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
If you can swing it, you might just buy your car using a lease buyout loan and then sell privately
He will have to pay taxes twice
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 03:07 PM   #9
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Quote:
Not always depending on the state. I bought my less out in July. In NY you only pay taxes on the depreciation amount when you purchase originally. On the buyout I paid the remaining taxes. Still made $7,000 so it was worth it. However, it is a time and labor intensive process. Min 2 months but more likely 3-4 months before you have clean title to sell the car.

Edit: oh I see you said sell "privately". In that case you would pay taxes again on the purchase. Either way, the double tax it really only applies if you lease, buy out, sell privately and then purchase instead of lease. That got confusing.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 03:10 PM   #10
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep

I would guess the premium over buyout would more than cover tax on the buyout price
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 03:20 PM   #11
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, BMW just changed the policy a little over a week ago.....used market is crazy right now and 3rd parties were willing to pay a good premium for it. I also made $4k on my wife's X3M40i at Carmax and stepped her up to a 2022 X3M40i in Brooklyn Grey. The same color as my M3. Yeah, for sure. I've yet to take it on some of my favorite roads (Angeles Crest Highway, etc.) where I can push it a bit. By no means am I unhappy but the CS was definitely a unique vehicle. I've owned a few M cars M3 (F80, E46), M4 and F10 M5 Comp. The CS I enjoyed the most. Let's keep in touch. I'll keep ya updated. When is your lease up on the CS.
My lease is up in January. I have owned every M3 except the e30 and, outside of my race cars, the CS has been the most fun to drive. At least I still have a couple month to think about it and research. Wish I could test drive a g80 but no one around here is allowing it.

Quote:
I can def swing it and it sounds like whatever I decide to do, I will need to go that route. Just turning the CS into the dealer is not an option since they are offering me nothing in terms of equity to get into a new car. One dealer actually told me they could only offer me $2k less that my residual on the car....LOL....ok. Was thinking to buy the CS and then maybe sell its but like someone said here, sounds like I will need to pay taxes twice (I'm in CA)?
      10-17-2021, 03:36 PM   #12
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
BTW, I believe that is California, there is a 10-day window where a buyout is not taxable if you sell within 10 days. That would work with something like CarMax

https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/formspubs/pub34.pdf

Bottom of page 2

Last edited by rak299; 10-17-2021 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
Tyga113229.00
KANdaddy2466.00
      10-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #13
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
BTW, I believe that is California, there is a 10-day window where a buyout is not taxable if you sell within 10 days. That would work with something like CarMax

Interesting - good find. That would solve OP's problem
Appreciate 1
KANdaddy2466.00
      10-17-2021, 03:48 PM   #14
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Nice! Thanks for this. Sounds like a plan Now I just need to test drive a g80 Comp
      10-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #15
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nice! Thanks for this. Sounds like a plan Now I just need to test drive a g80 Comp
See if BMW Riverside will let ya test drive one
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 05:30 PM   #16
Soylent
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C

Quote:
Years ago we traded in our Cayenne and X6 to Carmax. One of them we ended up with $20k in our pocket. Those days are long gone.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 05:33 PM   #17
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent View Post
Years ago we traded in our Cayenne and X6 to Carmax. One of them we ended up with $20k in our pocket. Those days are long gone.
Sounds like it can still be done. Just a bit more complicated.
      10-17-2021, 08:19 PM   #18
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
My lease is up in January. I have owned every M3 except the e30 and, outside of my race cars, the CS has been the most fun to drive. At least I still have a couple month to think about it and research. Wish I could test drive a g80 but no one around here is allowing it.

Quote:
I can def swing it and it sounds like whatever I decide to do, I will need to go that route. Just turning the CS into the dealer is not an option since they are offering me nothing in terms of equity to get into a new car. One dealer actually told me they could only offer me $2k less that my residual on the car....LOL....ok. Was thinking to buy the CS and then maybe sell its but like someone said here, sounds like I will need to pay taxes twice (I'm in CA)?
Would you consider a private sale? I'm kind of sort of thinking of getting a CS in San Marino blue.
Appreciate 1
KANdaddy2466.00
      10-17-2021, 08:54 PM   #19
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

I kept both my cars for 4 months (m3 CS and G80 BASE). I hated to drive the CS once I got accustomed to the G80. Not just the manual, the way the car handles, grips, the reactions JT gets on the road, everything.
Appreciate 2
KANdaddy2466.00
nathanm4682.00
      10-17-2021, 09:03 PM   #20
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

Man, this thread is dear to my heart. I'm in the exact same position. I've put in an order for g80 AWD, but I don't know if I'll be happier in that car. The CS has been so amazing for me and I've put on stupid miles on it cause I just can't stop driving it hard, and I really really do drive it properly. Plus the track events have been awesome. I know the g80 will be a better daily and all around car, but will it make my balls tingle the same way is the million dollar question. I've driven the f90 m5c and x3mc and didn't like them because they were numb and not exciting to drive. Wish I could just drive the g80 for an hour and I would be know right away how I feel. Hate having to trade the CS on a sight unseen car
Appreciate 3
KANdaddy2466.00
ATX_M3185.50
      10-17-2021, 09:07 PM   #21
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
I kept both my cars for 4 months (m3 CS and G80 BASE). I hated to drive the CS once I got accustomed to the G80. Not just the manual, the way the car handles, grips, the reactions JT gets on the road, everything.
Did you sell your the Cs?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 10:00 PM   #22
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Would you consider a private sale? I'm kind of sort of thinking of getting a CS in San Marino blue.
I'll let you know. Currently in contact with a few dealers I have relationships with to see what g80 allocations might be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasya152 View Post
Man, this thread is dear to my heart. I'm in the exact same position. I've put in an order for g80 AWD, but I don't know if I'll be happier in that car. The CS has been so amazing for me and I've put on stupid miles on it cause I just can't stop driving it hard, and I really really do drive it properly. Plus the track events have been awesome. I know the g80 will be a better daily and all around car, but will it make my balls tingle the same way is the million dollar question. I've driven the f90 m5c and x3mc and didn't like them because they were numb and not exciting to drive. Wish I could just drive the g80 for an hour and I would be know right away how I feel. Hate having to trade the CS on a sight unseen car
I know, rt? I daily my CS and have never once wished for anything else. I regretted selling my e90 M3 (until I got the CS but that was many years later). Afraid I will feel the same if I let the CS go. And with my residual, if I have second thoughts, I'll have to pay through the nose to get another CS. *sigh*. I'm in the same boat as you, really wish I could drive a g80 comp for a short bit just to compare.