BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-02-2021, 03:35 PM   #89
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Reference Honda... we had the Rover '400' versions of the Honda Concerto built in the UK. Both Rover/Honda RHD models had the indicator on the L/H side. I see even LHD models of the Concerto (circa 1990, as our Rover cars) also had the indicator on the L/H side of the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 04:11 PM   #90
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Personally, there's 2 reasons I believe RHD is superior to LHD:

1. I'm right handed, and in spirited driving I would rather have my more coordinated right hand on the wheel, and my less coordinated left hand can deal with the much simpler gear shift

2. The money shift is an LHD concept only. It's impossible to do on a RHD unless you specifically try to do it.
Well. To hold the wheel while shifting seems simpler than to avoid money shift. My money shift (I noticed in time to prevent the "money" ) was due to failing to apply the side effort rather than pulling against pushing (the "tension" did it there) - that's LHD/RHD irrelevant, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
This is in a two pedal car, wider spaced and more comfortable.

You are sitting in an uncomfortable position (don't squeeze your rick ), your left foot tends to slide off the pedal (you are violating the design - being too smart isn't too smart, after all ) and why does your floor mat not fit properly? You are lucky your gas pedal is floor mounted, it could get stuck behind otherwise.

Quote:
left foot braking mode, oh boy! It QUICKENS your brake response time in an EMERGENCY situation if you can understand that.
To make a better driver you should make wise decisions about pedal priority: it's not about speed, it's about situation analysis. I mind most drivers behind don't match my M-Sport brakes and when a dog rushed under my car out of darkness/nowhere on a crosswalk it wasn't because I was going fast or had my foot on the gas (or didn't look: of course I did, just couldn't/failed to see it in time) that I hit it, it was just too close. The conclusion I made was being even more careful as a two legged dog/bitch would cause trouble , not reconsider my driving technique.

Last edited by No one; 10-02-2021 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 05:08 PM   #91
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Well. To hold the wheel while shifting seems simpler than to avoid money shift. My money shift (I noticed in time to prevent the "money" ) was due to failing to apply the side effort rather than pulling against pushing (the "tension" did it there) - that's LHD/RHD irrelevant, I believe.

You are sitting in an uncomfortable position (don't squeeze your rick ), your left foot tends to slide off the pedal (you are violating the design - being too smart isn't too smart, after all ) and why does your floor mat not fit properly? You are lucky your gas pedal is floor mounted, it could get stuck behind otherwise.

To make a better driver you should make wise decisions about pedal priority: it's not about speed, it's about situation analysis. I mind most drivers behind don't match my M-Sport brakes and when a dog rushed under my car out of darkness/nowhere on a crosswalk it wasn't because I was going fast or had my foot on the gas (or didn't look: of course I did, just couldn't/failed to see it in time) that I hit it, it was just too close. The conclusion I made was being even more careful as a two legged dog/bitch would cause trouble , not reconsider my driving technique.
Your input is noted...and binned The left foot is firmly on the 'elongated' pedal and if you had followed my advice the bitch may still be living.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 05:39 PM   #92
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Your input is noted...and binned
That's the best you can do.

Quote:
The left foot is firmly on the 'elongated' pedal
It doesn't look "elongated" enough (though the foot is "off" the stem, that doesn't look "convincing" anyway).

Quote:
if you had followed my advice the bitch may still be living.
It may. I did brake. It's just there are "laws of physics" mentioned in the manual : your advice can't beat them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
For the longest time I was wondering how come some cars were going at the same highway speed as me *w their brake lights on* but then I realized that they were probably riding their brake pedals (I'd hate to see their brake-related parts bills)!
This would lead to brakes overheating and subsequently failing: this is why engine braking is especially important when driving in mountains - to release the brakes' heat burden.

Last edited by No one; 10-02-2021 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Added another comment.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 06:07 PM   #93
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Ok - am guessing English isn't your natural language, because I'm struggling to follow you, but the money shift is not LHD/RHD irrelevant.

In a LHD, when you tense up and yank at the gear lever for the fastest shift from 3 to 4, it's possible to go from 3-2 as you tense your shoulder and pull the gear lever towards yourself. Engine blows up. Money shift.

In a RHD, if you tense up and yank the gear lever towards yourself, you're going to pull it from 3-6, which will not blow up the engine. Not a Money Shift.

Make sense?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 06:44 PM   #94
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
That's the best you can do.

It doesn't look "elongated" enough (though the foot is "off" the stem, that doesn't look "convincing" anyway).

It may. I did brake. It's just there are "laws of physics" mentioned in the manual : your advice can't beat them.

This would lead to brakes overheating and subsequently failing: this is why engine braking is especially important when driving in mountains - to release the brakes' heat burden.
'Laws of physics' are that by the time you moved your foot from the gas pedal to the brake pedal when you realised something was in the road took too long, simples and the foot doesn't have to be over the stem in an elongated pedal, you're wrong again
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 07:22 PM   #95
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Nah. Needs to be LHD. See the problems it causes at fast food windows?!

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
dinonz3214.00
3.0L8902.00
      10-02-2021, 08:21 PM   #96
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
In a LHD, when you tense up and yank at the gear lever for the fastest shift from 3 to 4, it's possible to go from 3-2 as you tense your shoulder and pull the gear lever towards yourself. Engine blows up. Money shift.

In a RHD, if you tense up and yank the gear lever towards yourself, you're going to pull it from 3-6, which will not blow up the engine. Not a Money Shift.

Make sense?
Not much if you don't tense up. In a LHD if you don't push the gear lever away from yourself shifting from 5 to 6 you can end up in 4 or shifting from 4 to 5 you can end up in 3. Likewise, in a RHD you can have just the same if you don't pull the gear lever towards yourself, I suppose (never tried a RHD but very positive the gearbox is exactly the same): there's some (spring?) tension applied to the lever when it's off the 3-4 position.

And no, it won't blow the engine once you've just misshifted: you need to engage the clutch for that to happen and here's the point when you can stop and recover if you are conscious of what you are doing (the revs go blasting up). I never drop the clutch and it saved me from a money shift.

Quote:
'Laws of physics' are that by the time you moved your foot from the gas pedal to the brake pedal when you realised something was in the road took too long, simples and the foot doesn't have to be over the stem in an elongated pedal, you're wrong again
There was another dog who chose wisely and didn't try to be fast, it rather proved to be sensible. Living is something you might want to deserve. Pressing the pedal away from the stem is not particularly effective to move it forward, but yes, you are right: I am wrong mentioning that for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 08:29 PM   #97
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not much if you don't tense up. In a LHD if you don't push the gear lever away from yourself shifting from 5 to 6 you can end up in 4 or shifting from 4 to 5 you can end up in 3. Likewise, in a RHD you can have just the same if you don't pull the gear lever towards yourself, I suppose (never tried a RHD but very positive the gearbox is exactly the same): there's some (spring?) tension applied to the lever when it's off the 3-4 position.

And no, it won't blow the engine once you've just misshifted: you need to engage the clutch for that to happen and here's the point when you can stop and recover if you are conscious of what you are doing (the revs go blasting up). I never drop the clutch and it saved me from a money shift.
I'm starting to doubt you even understand what a money shift is, because talking about 4th to 5th isn't it.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 09:32 PM   #98
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm starting to doubt you even understand what a money shift is, because talking about 4th to 5th isn't it.
Nor is this then:

Quote:
the fastest shift from 3 to 4, it's possible to go from 3-2 as you tense your shoulder and pull the gear lever towards yourself. Engine blows up. Money shift.

Quote:
shifting from 4 to 5 you can end up in 3.
This means you can accidentally choose the 3rd gear when trying to choose the 5th:

Quote:
Engine blows up. Money shift.

My understanding of What's a money shift?. In particular, I get "down-shift" as going from a higher (number ) gear to a lower while you start to seem meaning "pulling the gear lever backward (towards the rear end of the car)" which isn't exactly necessary to downshift in my understanding.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 12:29 AM   #99
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nor is this then:

This means you can accidentally choose the 3rd gear when trying to choose the 5th:

My understanding of What's a money shift?. In particular, I get "down-shift" as going from a higher (number ) gear to a lower while you start to seem meaning "pulling the gear lever backward (towards the rear end of the car)" which isn't exactly necessary to downshift in my understanding.
That link describes the less common meaning of moneyshift. The more common one is missing the gear you really wanted because of agression, caused by muscle tension, and another issue is gripping the gear lever like a pistol instead of gripping it like you were picking an egg out of the carton.

Picture this scenario - you're in a race. First is already selected. You hit redline, and slam it into second. Redline and push it into third. Redline again, and as you yank it into forth, you tense up, pull towards you and end up yanking it into second by mistake. And in the heat of the moment, you release the clutch, the engine revs to about 50% over redline, breaks a lot of internals, and costs you a lot of money. That's a money shift.

But that was described from a LHD perspective - "Redline again, and as you yank it into forth, you tense up, pull towards you and end up yanking it into second by mistake." meaning your right hand has instead of moving the gear lever straight towards the back of the car, it's pulled it also towards your body, hence selecting second.

Now, imagine the same scenario in a RHD car - "Redline again, and as you yank it into forth, you tense up, pull towards you and end up yanking it into sixth by mistake.". In the heat of the moment, you release the clutch, engine revs drop, engine might bog down, you lose the race. But no money shift.

That's the type of money shift I was meaning where LHD vs RHD make a difference - make sense?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 02:21 AM   #100
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:

There was another dog who chose wisely and didn't try to be fast, it rather proved to be sensible. Living is something you might want to deserve. Pressing the pedal away from the stem is not particularly effective to move it forward, but yes, you are right: I am wrong mentioning that for you.
There is no give in the pedal from the stem otherwise it wouldn't pass the yearly safety test, it makes you a ''better driver'' and a better driver doesn't wear out the linings by riding the pedal and I discover now you have a MANUAL gearbox..you should have said so no wonder it takes so long for you
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 03:40 AM   #101
bobowar135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' Sedona Red 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I live in a RHD country and frequently drive in the US (LHD). Its not a big deal to switch. Just remember one simple rule - if you're looking at headlights in front of you, you're in the wrong lane. 😂
What if you are driving in India....no rules apply lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 10:22 AM   #102
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
That link describes the less common meaning of moneyshift. The more common one is missing the gear you really wanted because of agression, caused by muscle tension, and another issue is gripping the gear lever like a pistol instead of gripping it like you were picking an egg out of the carton.

Picture this scenario - you're in a race. First is already selected. You hit redline, and slam it into second. Redline and push it into third. Redline again, and as you yank it into forth, you tense up, pull towards you and end up yanking it into second by mistake. And in the heat of the moment, you release the clutch, the engine revs to about 50% over redline, breaks a lot of internals, and costs you a lot of money. That's a money shift.

But that was described from a LHD perspective - "Redline again, and as you yank it into forth, you tense up, pull towards you and end up yanking it into second by mistake." meaning your right hand has instead of moving the gear lever straight towards the back of the car, it's pulled it also towards your body, hence selecting second.

Now, imagine the same scenario in a RHD car - "Redline again, and as you yank it into forth, you tense up, pull towards you and end up yanking it into sixth by mistake.". In the heat of the moment, you release the clutch, engine revs drop, engine might bog down, you lose the race. But no money shift.

That's the type of money shift I was meaning where LHD vs RHD make a difference - make sense?
If you pull it when you worry. My potential money shift was due to a lack of necessary effort (well, I've been struggling to optimize my efforts in any situation throughout last 30 years) rather than the excessive one as you describe. In another application a typical mistake is making unnecessarily wide movements so they teach you to keep it compact, explicitly. I'm not sure I would really know.

Your struggling to tear off the gear shift lever reminds me of a funny version of a (non-English) song: "I'll come back home and crush the door with my dick. I'll fuck the horse and then the wife.".

Quote:
I discover now you have a MANUAL gearbox..you should have said so no wonder it takes so long for you
No it does not: I use my right foot to brake.

And for those who might still wonder, RHD comes from the convenience of having your "better" fist ready for the oncoming: https://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 06:05 AM   #103
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
If you pull it when you worry. My potential money shift was due to a lack of necessary effort (well, I've been struggling to optimize my efforts in any situation throughout last 30 years) rather than the excessive one as you describe. In another application a typical mistake is making unnecessarily wide movements so they teach you to keep it compact, explicitly. I'm not sure I would really know.

Your struggling to tear off the gear shift lever reminds me of a funny version of a (non-English) song: "I'll come back home and crush the door with my dick. I'll fuck the horse and then the wife.".

No it does not: I use my right foot to brake.

And for those who might still wonder, RHD comes from the convenience of having your "better" fist ready for the oncoming: https://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/.
Mate. My brake pedal is 5 inches wide and left foot covers the pedal without touching it, your brake pedal can't be more than 2 inches wide and you have to move your right foot from gas pedal to brake..in an emergency who do you think will stop quicker?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 10:22 AM   #104
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Mate. My brake pedal is 5 inches wide and left foot covers the pedal without touching it, your brake pedal can't be more than 2 inches wide and you have to move your right foot from gas pedal to brake..in an emergency who do you think will stop quicker?
Consider adding a few more inches to use your both feet to brake (remove the gas pedal if needed). I touched the brake just incidentally a couple of times so I don't think I need it larger for my feet/shoes.

Yes, I was surprised to see both pedals in a two-pedal vehicle were for just one foot usage. But I think the designers gave that solution a proper consideration, like how much you are aware of which foot you are using ("in an emergency", in particular)... Regarding moving the foot, it's only the gas pedal your foot is supposed to rest on by design, unless you know better. I don't think I am "obviously" the smartest and everyone else is really as dumb as they seem.

"Faster! Fast was his mistake.":

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 10:54 AM   #105
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Consider adding a few more inches to use your both feet to brake (remove the gas pedal if needed). I touched the brake just incidentally a couple of times so I don't think I need it larger for my feet/shoes.

Yes, I was surprised to see both pedals in a two-pedal vehicle were for just one foot usage. But I think the designers gave that solution a proper consideration, like how much you are aware of which foot you are using ("in an emergency", in particular)... Regarding moving the foot, it's only the gas pedal your foot is supposed to rest on by design, unless you know better. I don't think I am "obviously" the smartest and everyone else is really as dumb as they seem.

"Faster! Fast was his mistake.":

I go by what suits me not what a car designer ''thinks'' I would do and I adapted it for better use by me..you could say 'mind over matter'. Look that one up
*Good film by the way.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 11:03 AM   #106
No one
Major
Rep

Smile

Quote:
you could say 'mind over matter'
You shouldn't need the brakes to stop the car then.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 12:52 PM   #107
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
You shouldn't need the brakes to stop the car then.
Almost heheh
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 08:37 PM   #108
Cyn-BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BWM E92 LCI+23 other cars

I’m most cases, there is no such thing as best or better. Everything is a compromise. What might be best or better to someone may not be best or better for someone else.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 04:12 PM   #109
bluebossanova
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1

Probably(as specially EU brands) UX design studies done by car producers base on LHD due to higher ratio. There might be some differences due to cost challenges for LHD variants
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 02:58 AM   #110
LastGray
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

After reading all this I realise I must have been a pretty shitty driver for money shifting my RHD Evo from 5th to 2nd. And boy did the money shift with the blown turbo and head gasket.

I don’t think there’s much pros and cons to either side of the road/dashboard. We all adapt pretty well. Having said that, some mods i.e. choices of turbo upgrades, shifter kits, ultimate clutch pedal, seem to be more available for LHD.

Some manufacturers such as Skoda leave behind LHD elements in their RHD models such as keeping the Octavia III’s handbrake on the left of the center tunnel which made it awkward to pull.
Appreciate 0