home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-30-2021, 12:00 PM   #45
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

This is getting OT, but I don't see the benefit in left foot braking at all, we're not driving go-karts. For the longest time I was wondering how come some cars were going at the same highway speed as me *w their brake lights on* but then I realized that they were probably riding their brake pedals (I'd hate to see their brake-related parts bills)! The travel for the left foot to reach the brake is longer vs the right not to mention the brain getting messed up since it's not intuitive at all. Sure, one can train themselves if they really, really want, like I could probably train myself to shift w my right hand in a LHD but does that mean it's the optimal way? This is already confusing enough for 2 pedals but what about 3 pedals, what happens in an emergency stop situation, heel-toe mash clutch and brake w the left foot? LOL. That's just asking for trouble.

Finally, there are some cars that stall when both brake and throttle are pressed, so that puts an end to that technique in those vehicles.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?

Last edited by tranquility; 09-30-2021 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 12:37 PM   #46
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Personally, there's 2 reasons I believe RHD is superior to LHD:

1. I'm right handed, and in spirited driving I would rather have my more coordinated right hand on the wheel, and my less coordinated left hand can deal with the much simpler gear shift

2. The money shift is an LHD concept only. It's impossible to do on a RHD unless you specifically try to do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 12:42 PM   #47
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
This is getting OT, but I don't see the benefit in left foot braking at all, we're not driving go-karts. .
On the street 100pc agree, on the track it allows for very balanced trail braking which can REALLY increase corner entry speed.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 12:46 PM   #48
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Getting in a LHD manual I punch the door every time I move to change gear
I did that a few times when I first moved to the US
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2021, 12:48 PM   #49
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Everything is the same except the turn signal stalk, that's on the right side of the wheel in a RHD car. I drove a RHD Silvia for a while and I kept hitting the damn windshield wipers when trying to signal a turn. Obviously in a BMW that wouldn't be an issue because we don't have turn signals.

I was a little nervous at first because I wasn't sure how comfortable shifting would be with my left hand, but it took maybe 5 minutes and it felt completely natural.
No - the turn signals vary based on the side the country that makes the car drives on, not base on LHD/RHD. So my BMW has them on the left so I can operate them with my left hand while changing gear with my right. A LHD Japanese car would have them on the right, because the steering column is simply shifted from the right side.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 01:27 PM   #50
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
No - the turn signals vary based on the side the country that makes the car drives on, not base on LHD/RHD. So my BMW has them on the left so I can operate them with my left hand while changing gear with my right. A LHD Japanese car would have them on the right, because the steering column is simply shifted from the right side.
Hmmm, is this confirmed because I always had the signals near the window side and the wipers on the inside stalk (e.g. a 90s LHD Accord even though from RHD Japan)....maybe there was a change for later cars but doubtful.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 01:43 PM   #51
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm, is this confirmed because I always had the signals near the window side and the wipers on the inside stalk (e.g. a 90s LHD Accord even though from RHD Japan)....maybe there was a change for later cars but doubtful.
There will be some variations, because a 90s Accord in North America was likely made in the US (Marysville Ohio), not Japan.

Pretty sure every British and Japanese car I have owned has the indicators on the right side of the steering column, while every BMW I have owned (2 RHD, 3 LDH) has had the indicators on the left. Frustrating in RHD, but good in LHD.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 03:02 PM   #52
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
There will be some variations, because a 90s Accord in North America was likely made in the US (Marysville Ohio), not Japan.

Pretty sure every British and Japanese car I have owned has the indicators on the right side of the steering column, while every BMW I have owned (2 RHD, 3 LDH) has had the indicators on the left. Frustrating in RHD, but good in LHD.
I dunno how you can make such an absolute statement like that w/o exceptions, anyway, maybe you got the weird versions of those cars then haha.

Anyway, one example is the latest MX-5, for LHD it has the signals on the left stalk; all made in Japan.

I would think it makes more sense and is the norm that the signal stalk is on the side of where the wheel's side is...maybe more ppl can chime in here.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #53
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I dunno how you can make such an absolute statement like that w/o exceptions, anyway, maybe you got the weird versions of those cars then haha.

Anyway, one example is the latest MX-5, for LHD it has the signals on the left stalk; all made in Japan.

I would think it makes more sense and is the norm that the signal stalk is on the side of where the wheel's side is...
I guess I make that statement from lots of experience, rather than anecdotal evidence, but you take from it what you will.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 03:08 PM   #54
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I guess I make that statement from lots of experience, rather than anecdotal evidence, but you take from it what you will.
Don't they practically mean the same thing? Anyway, that's my assumption, i.e. signal stalk is same side as the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 03:12 PM   #55
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I would think it makes more sense and is the norm that the signal stalk is on the side of where the wheel's side is...maybe more ppl can chime in here.
Here's 2 shots from the internet of MX-5 interiors. Neither one is clear on which side the indicators are on, but notice how the steering column is just moved side to side, and the indicator stalks are on the same side in each car? So based on what you're saying, they're on the left in the RHD too - which is odd, but stranger things have happened. Traditionally most Japanese vehicles have had them on the right, but perhaps Mazda decided to change to accommodate the US market as it's probably their biggest market for that car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 03:14 PM   #56
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't they practically mean the same thing? Anyway, that's my assumption, i.e. signal stalk is same side as the wheel.
Signal stalk is not always the same side as the wheel. See above images of the MX-5 you mentioned. Indicators are on the left for both LHD and RHD - they are absolutely NOT on the same side as the wheel like you assume. They were on the left in both of my RHD BMWs so your theory of them being on the same side as the wheel is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 03:22 PM   #57
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Signal stalk is not always the same side as the wheel. See above images of the MX-5 you mentioned. Indicators are on the left for both LHD and RHD - they are absolutely NOT on the same side as the wheel like you assume. They were on the left in both of my RHD BMWs so your theory of them being on the same side as the wheel is wrong.
We should do more research/take poll, I wonder which is more prevalent, you saying the signal stalk is based on the origin country or me saying that it makes more sense w the stalk being where the wheel is...

Btw, I'm not wrong since I never made any absolute statements, that's you.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 03:26 PM   #58
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We should do more research/take poll, I wonder which is more prevalent, you saying the signal stalk is based on the origin country or me saying that it makes more sense w the stalk being where the wheel is...

Btw, I'm not wrong since I never made any absolute statements, that's you.
Whatever
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 03:28 PM   #59
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Whatever
Too much ego, guy, we're just trying to get to the bottom of this... Besides, I'm not the one coming out here w all guns blazing saying ALL CARS ARE LIKE THIS LOL.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 03:36 PM   #60
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Too much ego, guy, we're just trying to get to the bottom of this... Besides, I'm not the one coming out here w all guns blazing saying ALL CARS ARE LIKE THIS LOL.
Did my pictures of the MX-5 above prove your theory wrong?

Simple yes or no will do.

Also - how many RHD cars have you owned in your life?

I will add I just looked at my Lamborghini Countach here and the indicator is on the left - my one in the UK that I only have photos of it is indeed on the right - so Lamborghini went to the trouble of making steering columns for LHD and RHD. Also worth noting that they moved the ignition switch from the left to the right too. I know for a fact BMW do not - all of my RHD BMWs have had indicators on the left (but I have not had a RHD BMW in 16 years so...). Mazda did not in the MX-5, and yes that example goes against my theory.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 03:44 PM   #61
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Did my pictures of the MX-5 above prove your theory wrong?

Simple yes or no will do.

Also - how many RHD cars have you owned in your life?

I will add I just looked at my Lamborghini Countach here and the indicator is on the left - my one in the UK that I only have photos of it is indeed on the right - so Lamborghini went to the trouble of making steering columns for LHD and RHD. Also worth noting that they moved the ignition switch from the left to the right too. I know for a fact BMW do not - all of my RHD BMWs have had indicators on the left (but I have not had a RHD BMW in 16 years so...). Mazda did not in the MX-5, and yes that example goes against my theory.
Holy crap, chill already. I'm not on here to argue w some cocksure (and subsequently proven) wrong anon poster...jezuz. You're the one making a supposed 100% statement and now trying to attack me because that is obviously not true? Get real.

Anyway, good spot on the MX-5, that shows there are exceptions to your statement as I've thought; to speak in absolute terms is usually folly. That's the lesson if you wanna learn something today.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 03:58 PM   #62
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Holy crap, chill already. I'm not on here to argue w some cocksure (and subsequently proven) wrong anon poster...jezuz. You're the one making a supposed 100% statement and now trying to attack me because that is obviously not true? Get real.

Anyway, good spot on the MX-5, that shows there are exceptions to your statement as I've thought; to speak in absolute terms is usually folly. That's the lesson if you wanna learn something today.
But you are arguing. And avoiding commenting on how many RHD cars you have owned, yet somehow you want to have a poll?

Fact is, we're both wrong. So there is no clear general rule, just like the general rules of what side the gas filler is on. Similar to my theory on the indicator stalk, gas caps are *usually* on the passenger side for where the car was designed (I'll say that rather than home country of the manufacturer). It's a safety thing - if you run out of gas and pull to the side of the road, then the passenger side is the safest to pour gas in from. But many US manufacturers have proved that wrong (lets not start on ones with the filler in the middle), and then in addition some British manufacturers like Jaguar and Lotus put fillers on both sides just to make life easier - unless they don't have a leveling pipe, and then it actually makes life harder as you have to fill both tanks.

The thing with the MX-5 above has been my experience over the past 37 years of owning a variety of British, Italian, Japanese and German cars in both LDH and RHD - that other than my Lamborghinis, they have tended to just shift the steering column side to side with the stalks remaining on the same sides. Cost saving measure. Yes, it would be "more sensible" to put them on the same side as the wheel as that's preferable for manual drivers, but more sensible and bean counters don't mix. Might be why the Lamborghinis aren't like that - bean counters didn't run Lamborghini back then.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 04:01 PM   #63
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
We've had indicators on the left stalk in UK RHD cars for decades, it more or less became standardised. I was driving UK built cars in the 1970s with indicators on the left, wipers on the right
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 04:11 PM   #64
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
But you are arguing. And avoiding commenting on how many RHD cars you have owned, yet somehow you want to have a poll?

Fact is, we're both wrong. So there is no clear general rule, just like the general rules of what side the gas filler is on. Similar to my theory on the indicator stalk, gas caps are *usually* on the passenger side for where the car was designed (I'll say that rather than home country of the manufacturer). It's a safety thing - if you run out of gas and pull to the side of the road, then the passenger side is the safest to pour gas in from. But many US manufacturers have proved that wrong (lets not start on ones with the filler in the middle), and then in addition some British manufacturers like Jaguar and Lotus put fillers on both sides just to make life easier - unless they don't have a leveling pipe, and then it actually makes life harder as you have to fill both tanks.

The thing with the MX-5 above has been my experience over the past 37 years of owning a variety of British, Italian, Japanese and German cars in both LDH and RHD - that other than my Lamborghinis, they have tended to just shift the steering column side to side with the stalks remaining on the same sides. Cost saving measure. Yes, it would be "more sensible" to put them on the same side as the wheel as that's preferable for manual drivers, but more sensible and bean counters don't mix. Might be why the Lamborghinis aren't like that - bean counters didn't run Lamborghini back then.
If you wanna prove a pt that should be almost self-evident (according to you), you shouldn't need to write several paragraphs w irrelevant info. Anyway, like I said, review the series of posts, you're the one making 100% assertions out of the gate whereas I'm just being cautious and merely assuming and asking, so who's wrong here?

Further, one just needs to check out the internet to see various cars, doesn't matter if you own 5,946 cars, cuz obviously you're a case in pt of quantity not equaling knowledge of pertinent facts since you're dead wrong but insist upon trying to cover your fragile ego for whatever reason. Stop it already.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 04:14 PM   #65
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
We've had indicators on the left stalk in UK RHD cars for decades, it more or less became standardised. I was driving UK built cars in the 1970s with indicators on the left, wipers on the right
I just looked up the parts manual for my Lotuses, as I don't have either one in my possession right now, and according to the parts manual they have the same steering column on LHD and RHD (even the key remains on the same side), but they do in fact have different stalks so the indicators *could* be on different sides for each - I say *could* because the parts manual has a column for LHD and one for RHD and normally identifies parts for each - on this page it only has ALL, and it lists that all cars have an indicator on both sides, and likewise have wiper controls on both sides which is bollox But could seem to mean that the indicators could be on either side depending who put your car together that day
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 04:37 PM   #66
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I just looked up the parts manual for my Lotuses, as I don't have either one in my possession right now, and according to the parts manual they have the same steering column on LHD and RHD (even the key remains on the same side), but they do in fact have different stalks so the indicators *could* be on different sides for each -

The parts schematic is illustrating how we'd we the car in RHD form. Most of our UK cars were over to LH side stalk for indicators, by the 1980's.
Appreciate 0