Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_M240i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjokosaus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlazierGlaze View Post
Terrible car. BMW designs are fucking awful these days. People saying this car looks good are blind.

Keep drinking the kool-aid.
Seems to me that you're the one drinking the kool-aid, hating on a great looking car with clean lines just because it's become popular to hate on modern BMWs.
You would think there's some underlying reason why it's become popular lately
Cmon it's no worse looking than the soft and feminine previous 2
Looks are subjective for sure, but like many have said (also with the M3/4) it's like you have to talk yourself into liking, or living with the design. I can't swallow that pill, and if I'm spending that much on any car it has to be love at first sight.

I'm just not feeling the busy front end with triangles, and the taillights that are too low and outward like someone with eye too far apart lol.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2021, 07:39 PM   #112
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Terrible car. BMW designs are fucking awful these days. People saying this car looks good are blind.

Seems to me that you're the one drinking the kool-aid, hating on a great looking car with clean lines just because it's become popular to hate on modern BMWs.
Looks are subjective for sure, but like many have said (also with the M3/4) it's like you have to talk yourself into liking, or living with the design. I can't swallow that pill, and if I'm spending that much on any car it has to be love at first sight.

I'm just not feeling the busy front end with triangles, and the taillights that are too low and outward like someone with eye too far apart lol.
Definitely

I had to talk myself into liking my m2c not going to lie.

I was more interested in the performance/experience it offered tbh.

I buy cars for being capable rather than beautiful.

If it was the other way around I'd be an AMG guy without a doubt.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 07:40 PM   #113
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I think everyone's focused on the wrong stuff.

* How much weight can be saved going RWD instead of AWD, with 6MT instead of auto
* How's the e-diff going to behave
* What's the steering feel
* What's the biggest tire that can actually fit up front
* Squishy subframe bushings or not

And yeah, maybe someone will make new front or rear bumpers that can be painted and bolted on, without them going some hideous direction on their own. But it's not really what's important...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 07:47 PM   #114
Geo_FF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340xi Portimao Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Definitely

I had to talk myself into liking my m2c not going to lie.

I was more interested in the performance/experience it offered tbh.

I buy cars for being capable rather than beautiful.

If it was the other way around I'd be an AMG guy without a doubt.
I totally get that and everyone is going to have their own check boxes and degrees to which they are willing to compromise. The driving and performance is important to me as well, but the design language is making me compromise waaay too much for (my) liking.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #115
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

I am not sold on the looks, but the new M2 version may still turn out to be my next car. The reason is that I am at an age where you buy more with your mind than your heart. As long as any car offers good value, great performance, is compact, yet practical with good all-around visibility, it goes to the top of my list. Also a manual transmission is a must for me, and no front-drive cars qualify, because of their inherently inferior driving dynamics. Unfortunately my criteria leave me with only 2 meaningful choices: the upcoming Nissan Z or M2. The overly stylized looks of the new 2 are not enough of a deterrent, and I hope I will like the car better in M2 guise.
Appreciate 3
Bingham276.00
M2_CSL117.00
      07-11-2021, 09:02 PM   #116
Bingham
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C LBB AA midpipe

Agreed WW ^^^^

I’ll reserve final judgement and my potential next purchase post M2 next gen release and the eventual release of the nismo 240z.

Could also be a few low mileage M2 CS’s in the mkt at that point.

And my gosh, so hard to be all things to all people…wut a fickle & spoiled species we are.

Be well. Buy and drive wut u like- the rest is just noise and mktg.

B.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2021, 09:13 AM   #117
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

when is the LCI?

Appreciate 1
      07-12-2021, 09:57 AM   #118
GlazierGlaze
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi RS6

Quote:
You probably still wear a members only jacket
Yes, me and the rest of the old boys club are the guys pointing and laughing at the abomination that is the front end of your G82.

Enjoy resale.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 10:00 AM   #119
GlazierGlaze
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The side profile is good, the rest of the car is absolute trash. Clean lines? Have you seen the rear bumper? Or the random box flare on the front wheel arch yet the rear is gracefully blended into the rear quarter. Get a clue.

It's sad when 90% of BMWs line up has to be bought in black to minimize the design team's placement of random cuts and bends in the sheet metal. Domagoj Dukec should be taken out back and shot in the head.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 10:22 AM   #120
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You probably still wear a members only jacket
Yes, me and the rest of the old boys club are the guys pointing and laughing at the abomination that is the front end of your G82.

Enjoy resale.
Lol good luck seeing the front end in any situation other than a car show bubers
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #121
GlazierGlaze
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol good luck seeing the front end in any situation other than a car show bubers
That is an utterly baffling response and/or justification for bad design. You racing for pinks or something on the weekends?

Also my RS6 says otherwise. There's always someone faster.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 04:29 PM   #122
BimmerTom94
BimmerTom94
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 530e

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [0.00]
2015 BMW 3 Series  [0.00]
I seen the 2 series models to, the 220d M sport caught my eye.
      07-12-2021, 04:33 PM   #123
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That is an utterly baffling response and/or justification for bad design. You racing for pinks or something on the weekends?

Ok enjoy your relevant opinion jacket boy
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 08:06 PM   #124
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
It's sad when 90% of BMWs line up has to be bought in black to minimize the design team's placement of random cuts and bends in the sheet metal. Domagoj Dukec should be taken out back and shot in the head.
Look, personally I made no secret on Bimmerpost of having mixed views about oversized kidney grilles and a redesigned Hofmeister kink on recent BMW cars.

But your comment about Domagoj Đukec to "be taken out back and shot in the head" is totally unacceptable.

Feel free to agree or disagree with his work, but, as each of us, Đukec is a human being entitled to unconditional respect. Although I am no moderator of this Bimmerpost section, I will stand firm on this stony ground to protect also Đukec against your kind of hate speech over here, just the way that I will also do for you if someone would utter something similar about you or anyone else over here. Đukec did not commit any crime whatsoever. The team spearheaded by him just did its job the way they deemed appropriate for some recent BMW cars, without breaking any law. No-one obliges you to like or dislike their designs, and free speech will allow you to express your views about it. But free speech ain't unlimited.

Likely backpedaling afterwards that your statement was 'of course just a way of saying' or the like, will not make your statement any less abhorrent and disgraceful. Shame on you.
JustChris17485.50
MmmmmM22588.50
      07-12-2021, 08:07 PM   #125
O5E46M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Man these forums get salty every new generation, I wish I could find my old login when the E92 replaced the E46 those discussions were hilarious.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 10:21 AM   #126
Sjokosaus
Private
Rep
Drives: Just a fan

Quote:
The side profile is good, the rest of the car is absolute trash. Clean lines? Have you seen the rear bumper? Or the random box flare on the front wheel arch yet the rear is gracefully blended into the rear quarter. Get a clue.

You're acting as if there's some pre-made form to all cars, if that was the case everything would be identical, but its not. The F22 design is way too flat and formal, it looks boring, especially the front, the rear bumper is also just way too tall in proportion to the trunk lid. The G42 somewhat fixes that with a shorter bumper but unfortunately reverses that with a trunk lid that's too tall. The F87 M2 design differences definitely transforms the car though.

To me the G42 is the better looking car, the front is much more aggressive without being overstyled, it also has much wider fenders which does the car wonders making it almost look like an M car. The rear falls in the same category as the F22, not terrible looking, but certainly not the prefered angle of the car. The G42 design is more successful than the boring F22. The G87 with quad exhaust pipes and redesigned rear bumper is going to improve the rear end massively. That coupled with an even more aggressive front end and hopefully wider fenders will make it look stunning.
Appreciate 2
M2_CSL117.00
      07-14-2021, 02:54 PM   #127
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Just to chime in on the looks…..

I was at Goodwood and spent some time taking in the views on this car. I'm an ex F22 M240i owner and currently own an M2C F87.

Seeing the same pictures as everyone else I too was sceptical, but I must say, seeing it in person has changed my opinion.

I'd say give it a chance.
If this had a 6MT id buy it today
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 09:25 AM   #128
xugator
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Find it funny that someone who drives an RS6 which is one of the most hideous cars on the road , a glorified station wagon basically, is critiquing the design on the G42

Hate to break it to you but the G42 looks 100 times better than your car. The RS6 looks like something out of the 80s and that my grandma would drive. Basically the modern day Chevy chase car from national lampoons vacation. You aren’t turning any heads in that thing , that is for sure so it’s probably a compliment that you think the G42 is trash.

Last edited by xugator; 07-15-2021 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 09:47 AM   #129
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xugator View Post
Find it funny that someone who drives an RS6 which is one of the most hideous cars on the road , a glorified station wagon basically, is critiquing the design on the G42

Hate to break it to you but the G42 looks 100 times better than your car. The RS6 looks like something out of the 80s and that my grandma would drive. Basically the modern day Chevy chase car from national lampoons vacation. You aren’t turning any heads in that thing , that is for sure so it’s probably a compliment that you think the G42 is trash.
The RS6 is a good SUV alternative. It is different.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 05:34 PM   #130
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
The RS6 is a good SUV alternative. It is different.
Although I'm not a fan of station wagons I do think the RS6 is the best looking one ever made.
Appreciate 0