home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-10-2020, 04:03 PM   #23
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

A zero-tailpipe-emission, 500 mile range, 9 second quarter capable, 1,000hp luxury sedan is reaching production and people act like this isn't a big deal.

This is wild stuff IMO.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh16946.00
Wolf 3352338.50
erawamai161.50
      09-10-2020, 04:20 PM   #24
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
A zero-tailpipe-emission, 500 mile range, 9 second quarter capable, 1,000hp luxury sedan is reaching production and people act like this isn't a big deal.

This is wild stuff IMO.
it's the price, dude. not many people will be able to afford it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 04:25 PM   #25
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
What?! Everyone on this forum is moments away from a GT3RS, F8 Tributo or just his and hers M8 Comps. This thing should be no problem for 99% of the forum users.
Appreciate 4
      09-12-2020, 08:51 PM   #26
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
What?! Everyone on this forum is moments away from a GT3RS, F8 Tributo or just his and hers M8 Comps. This thing should be no problem for 99% of the forum users.

That's irrelevant. It'll grab enough attention for enough wealthy people to buy then slowly move downmarket. There's a trim level that will be offered at Model S prices.

As a technology demonstrator, this is another step forward to EVs being a viable product for even range conscious buyers. That's why its a big deal to me.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      09-12-2020, 11:38 PM   #27
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Fools can afford 90K freaking F-150 trucks.
M3 boi3211.00
      09-13-2020, 02:42 AM   #28
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Personally I think this is impressive, IF they can pull it off and although I can see the look-a-likes already mentioned i think it's gorgeous.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 06:40 AM   #29
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

just like Tesla and many drones this is nothing more than a fund raiser for r&d. Until the battery is the size of gas tanks or smaller with a similar range and we can charge it ANYWHERE at a price of Camry it is a tough seel at this price to 99.999% of the people. We are probably 20-30 years away from the initial stage of the electric revolution. These are very primitive, ugly and inefficient tech concepts.

The battery tech impacts not only cars but other industries as well such as aerospace.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 08:47 AM   #30
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

So I think this thing could give Tesla a run for their money. I know they can't compete in production numbers, YET. So far the only EV that I have any interest in is the Taycan, but this seems pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 08:31 AM   #31
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:

This is wild stuff IMO.
No sales and support network, $100k car at a minimum, production car yet to be determined, questionable when we will see these vehicles.
      09-14-2020, 08:35 AM   #32
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
No sales and support network, $100k car at a minimum, production car yet to be determined, questionable when we will see these vehicles.
Obviously any start up is going to have to deal with supply chain to the customer, Tesla was in the same boat at some point. I think it's good someone might actually be competition for Tesla. As far as EV's go, I have no interest in owning one.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #33
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:

This is wild stuff IMO.

Was just talking about something similar at autocross with someone yesterday. One of the top two cars is a Tesla Model 3, good driver, but no other cars can match the explosive acceleration out of the corners and with suspension/tires, it doesn't corner bad either. It's simply next level compared to all of the cars running, and the other cars are generally agreed to be great cars. The idea though of electric cars being common place, seeing them on highways, parked, driving around, etc., was science fiction when I was a kid. Sure, electric cars and vehicles have been attempted before with varying success, but never before has it reached the point where it's practical for a large % of the population and they are out there and doing it every day and not in just some small niche or very limited capacity. It's here in real-time and I think we do miss the impact of this and how revolutionary it is.
      09-26-2020, 05:18 AM   #34
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

The Lucid team has been working on this product line for some time now and is building an assembly facility from scratch in Arizona that starts production this fall. The goal appears to be poaching Tesla buyers who like the capabilities of the S but looking for a true luxury EV Which the S is not. And to have a 517 mile range right out of the starting gate is pretty impressive.

The entire EV segment is about to get interesting with Tesla, Volvo, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Ford, now Lucid and soon a Cadillac, all making major advancements.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 02:53 AM   #35
destineed1979
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

It's looking interesting than the Teslas, and the specs are hard to argue against... but... maybe this is just me, but prices of these electric cars are just stratospherically high.

Last edited by destineed1979; 10-02-2020 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 04:05 AM   #36
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Shit, am I!? Sweet!

Actually I'm pondering whether £150 is a justifiable expense to get rid of the rubbish base-spec seats in my 13 year old e91, and replace them with sport seats. My partner needs a new car and an EV would be absolutely ideal, even if it cost the same to run as her current car...unfortunately any with reasonable specs are all WAY over budget. And leasing is the only sensible option (given that the car will be all but obsolete after a couple of years), which is also way over our budget... I can't wait for these cars to become affordable to everyone, but right now it is far from the truth.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 09:11 AM   #37
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
just like Tesla and many drones this is nothing more than a fund raiser for r&d. Until the battery is the size of gas tanks or smaller with a similar range and we can charge it ANYWHERE at a price of Camry it is a tough seel at this price to 99.999% of the people. We are probably 20-30 years away from the initial stage of the electric revolution. These are very primitive, ugly and inefficient tech concepts.

The battery tech impacts not only cars but other industries as well such as aerospace.
I don't think we're any near that far from seeing electric cars being more common IMO. 20 years is an absolute eternity when you consider the fact that just 10 years ago, they didn't even really exist. Now every big player is dumping a lot of resources into bringing them to the market.

I take everything Tesla says with a giant spoon of salt because they are well known to miss their own targets, but their goal is to release a $25k car within 3 years. Personally, I think they'll miss their deadline as usual, but I would certainly think that could be done within 10 years.

I do agree though, sub $30k electric cars are more interesting to me than $150k+ electric cars at the moment.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #38
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Why is nobody talking about the cut on the trunk body line? It's horrendous.
I dunno I find the whole thing rather hideous.

The Teslas are definitely boring, but at least they don't make my eyes bleed. I do like the interior on this thing more than Tesla though.

I hope Tesla gets competition and one of these electric car companies actually puts out a viable product, however if I had $100k burning a hole in my pocket and I wanted an electric car... I would just get a Tesla and not have to wait for some car that may or may not ever arrive.

I mean even the posted specs don't seem that impressive. Top model is $170k 500 mile range 2.5 sec 0-60. Sounds exactly like the new Model S Plaid that they are advertising for $140k end of next year. Also although it's not a big factor if you only travel locally and charge at home... the charging network is a huge deal for many people. There are Tesla superchargers all over now which basically extends the range of the Teslas even further.

Like I said I hope one of these companies can give Tesla a run for its money... but I just think it's going to be a lot harder than people think.
Appreciate 1
jmack548.50
      10-01-2020, 11:50 AM   #39
AlpineKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I dunno I find the whole thing rather hideous.

The Teslas are definitely boring, but at least they don't make my eyes bleed. I do like the interior on this thing more than Tesla though.

I hope Tesla gets competition and one of these electric car companies actually puts out a viable product, however if I had $100k burning a hole in my pocket and I wanted an electric car... I would just get a Tesla and not have to wait for some car that may or may not ever arrive.

I mean even the posted specs don't seem that impressive. Top model is $170k 500 mile range 2.5 sec 0-60. Sounds exactly like the new Model S Plaid that they are advertising for $140k end of next year. Also although it's not a big factor if you only travel locally and charge at home... the charging network is a huge deal for many people. There are Tesla superchargers all over now which basically extends the range of the Teslas even further.

Like I said I hope one of these companies can give Tesla a run for its money... but I just think it's going to be a lot harder than people think.
Sadly agree with this. The car isn't a looker. especially from the way the trunk is cut. I could make do with the "Star Trek-Levar Burton" Grill but damn the back is awful.

I think the way to beat Tesla will be for a start up to partner with an existing large scale manufacturer in order to achieve scale faster, similar to what Rivian has done with Ford (to limited success).

My family will be in the market for an SUV in a year or so, so hopefully the Rivian SUV is not just a pipe dream.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 12:58 PM   #40
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Quote:

I don't think we're any near that far from seeing electric cars being more common IMO. 20 years is an absolute eternity when you consider the fact that just 10 years ago, they didn't even really exist. Now every big player is dumping a lot of resources into bringing them to the market.

I take everything Tesla says with a giant spoon of salt because they are well known to miss their own targets, but their goal is to release a $25k car within 3 years. Personally, I think they'll miss their deadline as usual, but I would certainly think that could be done within 10 years.

I do agree though, sub $30k electric cars are more interesting to me than $150k+ electric cars at the moment.
let's see how long will it take for laws and regs, infrastructure development, battery tech and s/w to converge to enable an affordable profitable vehicle.

It took aerospace 50y so now that we have more powerful computers and some experience maybe 1/2 that time. I don't see govt investing billions in roads and sensing. We have roads in big cities that are worse than in third world countries. In the mean time they are still investing bilions in oil and gas industries.

If I go camping in Maine or skiing in Colorado wehere will I charge and not have range anxiety? Or if you get stuck in a snowstorm for 2 hours will you have enough juice?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 01:25 PM   #41
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
If I go camping in Maine or skiing in Colorado wehere will I charge and not have range anxiety? Or if you get stuck in a snowstorm for 2 hours will you have enough juice?
I see superchargers all the way up there.

https://www.tesla.com/findus?bounds=...s=supercharger

The car uses very little juice when just sitting or going very slowly. That being said I do believe the cold has negative effects on range, being in FL I wouldn't know. There are people on the various Tesla groups I'm a part of that do road trips all the time with their Teslas. When you use the in car GPS it will even automatically add supercharger stops along your route as needed. Personally I'm not much of a planner so I would rather take an ICE vehicle but it's totally doable in most places.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #42
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

What is the dealer and service network going to be like?
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      10-01-2020, 04:07 PM   #43
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Obviously any start up is going to have to deal with supply chain to the customer, Tesla was in the same boat at some point. I think it's good someone might actually be competition for Tesla. As far as EV's go, I have no interest in owning one.
Tesla was in this boat in 8-9 years ago? Part of their success was based on not having any real competition, definitely no competition from a major manufacturers. At this point I think the real competition for Tesla is most likely to be one of the volume ICE manufacturers, not a startup.
      03-31-2021, 01:10 PM   #44
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car