BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-26-2021, 07:37 AM   #23
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

When i place my order, below are the only paid options which i am considering.

- Metallic or individual paint.
- CF interior.
- LED headlights.
- Shadowline headlights.

I am planning to keep this vehicle for a while and dont want any driver assist features. On a side note, I have been working for the auto industry for more than a decade and develop ADAS components for living.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2021, 11:14 AM   #24
tommatmor
Germany
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 XDrive Dravit Grey W44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_P View Post
Dravit gray and interior wood trim were my only options. Next time, I'd skip the wood trim. Tartufo leather was a no cost option. This car is my business daily and I wanted to keep the lease payment low. But frankly, had I been purchasing, this is pretty close to what I would have ordered. The sticker was $72.9k, which I think offers a lot of value. No regrets. I was happy to get the allocation.

Edit: actually, one caveat. My 18/19 wheel package came with Conti tires and it appears that the Pilot Cup 2s may not be available (yet?) in this size combination. I'm not sure what options I've have when it comes time to buy new tires. But the PC2s have been so well reviewed, I'll be a little disappointed if I can't get them for the 18/19 combination.
Just curious, what didn't you like about the wood trim? I also ordered dravit, silver line wood and tartufo leather. The depiction on the build site looked awesome but I know it can be misleading.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 11:18 AM   #25
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Xdrive;2020 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by maul3d View Post
Haven't ever bought new..

But, Iv been craving to get into something after selling the GTR .. and quite frankly, thus car seems like it hits the spots , and would keep it longterm (m3 sedan) would also consider extending the factory warranty so I can put the car through hell.

My 2016 M4 was fully loaded with every option..I could really give a shit about extended leather, heads up display, executive package, with the stupid cameras all around..and all the other useless bullshit I didn't even notice. all I need is a back up camera..and the Harman Karon stereo.

Is anyone else feel the same way ?
No
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 02:52 PM   #26
Daily_drivX5M
Certified
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW F95 X5 M competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
When i place my order, below are the only paid options which i am considering.

- Metallic or individual paint.
- CF interior.
- LED headlights.
- Shadowline headlights.

I am planning to keep this vehicle for a while and dont want any driver assist features. On a side note, I have been working for the auto industry for more than a decade and develop ADAS components for living.
May I ask what are your reservations about driver assist technologies at the moment? I have adaptive cruise on my commuter and although I wanted the semiautonomous driving on my M3 I didn’t get it because I got impatient and chose a spec off a lot rather than wait. I don’t use it much but I do a lot of driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 03:23 PM   #27
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3EE View Post
May I ask what are your reservations about driver assist technologies at the moment? I have adaptive cruise on my commuter and although I wanted the semiautonomous driving on my M3 I didn’t get it because I got impatient and chose a spec off a lot rather than wait. I don’t use it much but I do a lot of driving.
People love to load vehicles with the latest and greatest tech but below are my reasons for not doing so:
- Drove manuals all my life and i was forced to switch to automatics last decade due to knee issues. That was a significant transition which i had never foreseen. Being a mechanical / hands on person, I prefer having control while driving.
- I will not be using this vehicle for cross country family road trips. Its nice to have these driver assists but i hardly use them. ACC is the only feature which i rarely use.
- I have been a part of Tier 1 and OEM development teams for automotive safety and driver assist systems. Being a part of those development cycles, i see the type of issues which pop up during various stages of development. Even though they try to recreate real world scenarios, one will not be able to validate it for every possible real world condition. OEMs advertise not to rely on these features 100% while using them as well and thats for a reason.
- Minor fender bender fixing cost can quickly add up with radars and cameras in bumpers. Not having these addons, definitely make things simpler.

Its interesting to work on emerging driver assist features and electric vehicles but i am not ready to adapt them on my personal vehicles.
Appreciate 1
MannyS357.00
      10-26-2021, 11:13 PM   #28
bmedude
Woohoo I finally got a beamer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

I'm not sure if this is a fair comparison, but just to give you an idea, I have a base model m4 competition convertible. If I would've ordered the car, I definitely would have ordered some options. But driving a base model car has made me realize that I bought this car for one thing, and that's the engine. I wouldn't hesitate on buying a base model. It's an incredible car.
Appreciate 2
MannyS357.00
      10-27-2021, 09:50 AM   #29
Ed_P
EdP
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommatmor View Post
Just curious, what didn't you like about the wood trim? I also ordered dravit, silver line wood and tartufo leather. The depiction on the build site looked awesome but I know it can be misleading.
I wanted something low key, but I wasn't wowed by the wood after seeing it in person. In hindsight, I would have taken a harder look at the other options, though perhaps I might have still landed on the wood.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #30
dynamic
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by maul3d View Post
Haven't ever bought new..

But, Iv been craving to get into something after selling the GTR .. and quite frankly, thus car seems like it hits the spots , and would keep it longterm (m3 sedan) would also consider extending the factory warranty so I can put the car through hell.

My 2016 M4 was fully loaded with every option..I could really give a shit about extended leather, heads up display, executive package, with the stupid cameras all around..and all the other useless bullshit I didn't even notice. all I need is a back up camera..and the Harman Karon stereo.

Is anyone else feel the same way ?
I am with you 100%. I've had the loaded up to the gills vehicles before. 90% of that "optional equipment" is just crap that makes the manufacturer significantly more money per unit.
Soft close doors, pimp stick crystal shifters, cushy soft as a baby's ass leather, "executive" packages, $4,000 stereo upgrades, blah, blah, blah.
Forget about it and most of that fluff will not get you a nickel on resale/trade.
Appreciate 1
j23654.50