BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-25-2021, 06:43 PM   #1
nullptr_001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m340i

Damaged a brand new car. Certified collision center has bad reviews

Hi,
**Mod please delete if it's inappropriate to post a g20 in this forum**

So it's actually a g20 I picked up last Wednesday. I'm posting in the G80 forum since it's more active (and because I'm desperate now )

It was raining heavily in the bay area yesterday, and unfortunately, my car hydroplaned and hit the guardrail on the driver's side. I will go through insurance since it's a brand new car and I really want to get the best fix. It's my first accident since I got my DL in the US. I'd appreciate your advice on what to do next:
1. I can go to the dealership's certified collision center: https://www.bmwofmountainview.com/collision-center.htm They will definitely use the OEM parts to fix the car but my concern is the collision center got bad reviews on Yelp (e.g. unresponsive, unprofessional fix, etc.). The collision center doesn't solely work on BMWs although it does get listed on BMW's certified collision center list.
2. Or I can go to a non-certified body shop. I searched some on Yelp and they got really good reviews. They also said they will use the OEM parts. My concern is whether I can trust them with using the OEM parts and whether they're familiar enough with BMW cars (e.g. replace a door).

Could you give me some advice on where to go? Would also appreciate recommendations of body shops in the south bay area.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 06:56 PM   #2
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Go to BMW of Concord or Weatherford BMW. They have the only 2 BMW certified collision centers.
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 2
spidy512491.50
02M3ForMe4255.50
      10-25-2021, 07:07 PM   #3
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Generally speaking... take negative reviews on Yelp (or anywhere else) with a grain of salt. Not that they're not legitimate complaints, but it's just human nature for unhappy customers to outnumber the happy ones by a fairly wide margin.

Either way, best of luck getting that fixed. Sucks when it's a new car, but remember that it's only a car at the end of the day. Glad no one was hurt.
      10-26-2021, 08:45 PM   #4
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullptr_001 View Post
Hi,
**Mod please delete if it's inappropriate to post a g20 in this forum**

So it's actually a g20 I picked up last Wednesday. I'm posting in the G80 forum since it's more active (and because I'm desperate now )

It was raining heavily in the bay area yesterday, and unfortunately, my car hydroplaned and hit the guardrail on the driver's side. I will go through insurance since it's a brand new car and I really want to get the best fix. It's my first accident since I got my DL in the US. I'd appreciate your advice on what to do next:
1. I can go to the dealership's certified collision center: https://www.bmwofmountainview.com/collision-center.htm They will definitely use the OEM parts to fix the car but my concern is the collision center got bad reviews on Yelp (e.g. unresponsive, unprofessional fix, etc.). The collision center doesn't solely work on BMWs although it does get listed on BMW's certified collision center list.
2. Or I can go to a non-certified body shop. I searched some on Yelp and they got really good reviews. They also said they will use the OEM parts. My concern is whether I can trust them with using the OEM parts and whether they're familiar enough with BMW cars (e.g. replace a door).

Could you give me some advice on where to go? Would also appreciate recommendations of body shops in the south bay area.

Thanks!
It's a bit complex, but most of the time, you can get non-OEM parts and be fine. I'll explain.

Take your headlight. It probably says "BMW" somewhere on the bracket for it once you open the hood. But of course, That headlight isn't actually made by BMW, but a third party like Hella or Bosch.

BMW buys these parts and stamps their logo on it. Now it's an "official" BMW part.

But many times, shops can go directly to the manufacture and get the same exact headlight, minus the BMW logo, for much cheaper. It's the same exact part, minus the BMW price.

So, discuss what the shop plans to use before bringing the car in, as even a shop that's not BMW "certified" will often be fine.
      10-26-2021, 09:38 PM   #5
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
Go to BMW of Concord or Weatherford BMW. They have the only 2 BMW certified collision centers.
^ I echo this. (So sorry this happened btw. That rain event was brutal).

When you go to sell the car, folks (like me) would be more apt to buy seeing it was fixed at a certified BMW collision center. I have heard great things about both Concord or Weatherford. I would use Weatherford personally.

Good luck!

josh

PS there are some really good body shops out there as well. Just wanted to provide a perspective.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #6
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

DO NOT use non BMW parts. The only reason to do this is if you are paying out of pocket. Otherwise in CA your insurance must provide OEM parts unless you specify otherwise.

Regarding a BWM certified vs non certified body shops, I don't think it matters as much. Find the highest end shop that will work with your insurance and go with them. Personally I didn't even bother to check if the shop was certified when I got my daughter's convertible fixed. The one caveat here is whether your car is leased or not. I believe under a lease you MUST use a certified shop.
Appreciate 1
Gfit2695.00
      10-27-2021, 08:01 PM   #7
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Generally speaking... take negative reviews on Yelp (or anywhere else) with a grain of salt. Not that they're not legitimate complaints, but it's just human nature for unhappy customers to outnumber the happy ones by a fairly wide margin.
Agreed. Most of the complainers are usually impossible to please and will ALWAYS threaten a bad review and often follow through. The happy customers rarely write reviews.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 10:49 AM   #8
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Non-BMW parts may be manufactured by the OEM or they may be made in China by some guy that just got out of jail yesterday for copyright infringement.

There's nothing wrong with going to a non-certified shop as long as they do good work. The Carfax (AFAIK) won't make a distinction, and as you noted, you may get better work done.

As far as anything "special", it's just a BMW, any decent shop can fix it.

Wash the car and take better pictures of the damage so that when it comes time to sell it and people ask about it, you can show them how minor it was.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 08:46 PM   #9
Davem4
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw g82 m4 comp

I have been repairing cars for over 25 years and can tell you for sure that non BMW parts are just that and the quality is no where the same for major body panels and lights. The aftermarket sheet metal is way thinner and the light are made by depo and tyc. You just need to find a good shop, it doesn’t have to be certified necessarily but let them know you want it done right and will be inspecting it after finished so they will give it to their best technician
Appreciate 0