BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

03-03-2024, 06:47 PM   #1
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Brand New X5 Swirl marks and scratch removal

Picked up new carbon black X5. Need to fix few swirl and light scratches before coating. Can you advise the below and update what’s missing?

Which DA polisher I should get to use with CarPro’s pad?

1. Foam
Which one to get?

CARPRO Lift
or
HydrO2 Foam

2. IronX

3. Wash
Which one to get?

CARPRO IronX Snow Soap 1 Liter
or
CARPRO Reset Shampoo

4. Polish
Which one to use?

CarPro UltraCut or Essence or Fixer required for removing swirl marks and light scratches? See pics

5. Coating
Is Eraser still required when using CarPro Ultracut or Essence prior to coating?

Which one?
New DQUARTZ Go or CQ.UK 3.0

Can this be apply to windshield, glass, lights, vinyl?

6. Glass
Clarify

7. Interior
CARPRO Inside and InnerQD or EliXir ?

8. Tire
Which one to get?
ReTyre or DarkSide
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-03-2024, 08:27 PM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

That is horrible! I'd be talking to the general manager & have them pick up the tab for the best detailer in your area to correct the damage. Why should you have to spend $$ and time to fix that? I hope you showed them the defects before leaving the dealership.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 5
TboneS541043.00
Mosaud19983940.50
tcphoto3537.00
      03-03-2024, 10:37 PM   #3
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
That is horrible! I'd be talking to the general manager & have them pick up the tab for the best detailer in your area to correct the damage. Why should you have to spend $$ and time to fix that? I hope you showed them the defects before leaving the dealership.
Yes, I have long term relationship with the GM personally. It looks like someone tried to make the hood shine before delivery..lol. All these swirls are on the hood.

Usually I have them not to remove white film on the hood, roof and side during delivery. X5 didn't come with a white film on the hood this time.

Anyways, they already send me $300-$400 of accessories without asking not due to this issue.

Not loosing sleep over this, as this is Carbon black color. I could have caused this. I will fix it in a week as I was going to do coating anyways so I will do paint correction.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:45 AM   #4
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
I totally agree that this is totally unacceptable, new means new!!!
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2024, 10:47 AM   #5
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

The lot jockey obviously used old towels, or they ran it through one of those car wash machines. However, black shows everything and you'e gonna be a slqve to keeping it loooking spotless. Good luck. I stopped owning black cars 30yrs ago because of the upkeep.
      03-04-2024, 12:28 PM   #6
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
The lot jockey obviously used old towels, or they ran it through one of those car wash machines. However, black shows everything and you'e gonna be a slqve to keeping it loooking spotless. Good luck. I stopped owning black cars 30yrs ago because of the upkeep.
Most likely the cause but still not acceptable! 👎🏻
Appreciate 2
DocL1930.00
      03-04-2024, 01:31 PM   #7
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Most likely the cause but still not acceptable! 👎🏻
Agree 100%. It's also why most of use don't allow our cars to be washed when in for service.
      03-04-2024, 02:57 PM   #8
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Agree 100%. It's also why most of use don't allow our cars to be washed when in for service.
Absolutely! My wife and I call it the “swirly special” car wash.

Just like the OP, we take delivery of our new BMWs with shipping materials still on the car. Even with this, there’s still paint issues that need to be addressed. I wonder how much better Porsche paints look with the cars being covered in shipping materials and fully enclosed in a zip-on bag?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 03:28 PM   #9
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Whenever I bring my car in for service not only do I tell my SA but I always make the greeters who valet the cars put a “DO NOT WASH” sign on the dashboard.

Better safe than sorry!
Appreciate 2
icj_45e108.00
DocL1930.00
      03-05-2024, 10:45 PM   #10
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasehackr View Post
Picked up new carbon black X5. Need to fix few swirl and light scratches before coating. Can you advise the below and update what’s missing?

1. Foam
Which one to get?

CARPRO Lift
or
HydrO2 Foam

2. IronX

3. Wash
Which one to get?

CARPRO IronX Snow Soap 1 Liter
or
CARPRO Reset Shampoo

4. Polish
Which one to use?

CarPro UltraCut or Essence or Fixer required for removing swirl marks and light scratches? See pics

5. Coating
Is Eraser still required when using CarPro Ultracut or Essence prior to coating?

Which one?

6. Glass
Clarify

7. Interior

8. Tire
Which one to get?
ReTyre or DarkSide
So anyone has recommendations to this list?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 07:38 AM   #11
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Generically speaking, for polish, start with the very lightest one and then go more aggressive as needed / if needed. I'd think any washing up to that really doesn't matter since you're planning to polish afterwards anyhow. I'd pay more attention to blasting (pressure wash if possible) as much dirt off as possible and then being sure to frequently rotate or swap whatever mitt or rag you are using so as not to introduce any new scratches. The soap itself may not matter much. As for the interior since the car is new very little will be needed for a while, you could practically get away with just water on a rag and the occasional leather conditioning.

I guess anything you get could have an eye towards being used a year or two from now if you still have some left, so there is that. I don't know the Carpro products. Hopefully someone will give you some specific recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 12:52 PM   #12
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
You are 100% right! I currently own a black car and I will never own another. I've just given it at this point that it will always look dirty and swirled. I two bucket wash it and the first drive it's dirty again, I'm not going through that constantly. I go to swirl city at this point just for the convenience factor, at least it looks clean. The overwhelming majority of cars have swirls and most people don't even notice.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 04:16 PM   #13
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

overall the Car Pro stuff in my opinion has been solid, you can apply the coating, but honestly since my coating wore off a few years back i use the hydro2 foam and it gives great protection and easy to apply.

1. Foam
Which one to get?

CARPRO Lift - good prewash - used to remove traffic film and other similar much so you can foam power wash rinse and then use car pro reset for actual contact watch

or
HydrO2 Foam - this stuff is a soap, but you don't want it to dry on the car, so i just use it as a coating (foam on rinse off on a clean car) and then dry, gives good protection! and its a good way to keep your car protected and its super easy to apply....i applied it to both of our cars in october, and it is still beading really well!

2. IronX

3. Wash
Which one to get?

CARPRO IronX Snow Soap 1 Liter - good for decontamination, but you can also use the spray
or
CARPRO Reset Shampoo - this is good for maintenance wash (i use this the most)

4. Polish
Which one to use?

5. Coating

Which one?

6. Glass
Clarify

7. Interior

8. Tire
Which one to get?
ReTyre or DarkSide
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 04:57 PM   #14
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
You are 100% right! I currently own a black car and I will never own another. I've just given it at this point that it will always look dirty and swirled. I two bucket wash it and the first drive it's dirty again, I'm not going through that constantly. I go to swirl city at this point just for the convenience factor, at least it looks clean. The overwhelming majority of cars have swirls and most people don't even notice.
Yeah, I have an Alpine White 135i and a Carbon Black X3, and for the X3 I've started going with the idea that if it looks good from 5' away, that'll have to do. The Alpine White you have to be on top of and in the right light to see any swirls. It does hide slight layers of dirt better too.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 05:08 PM   #15
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Yeah, I have an Alpine White 135i and a Carbon Black X3, and for the X3 I've started going with the idea that if it looks good from 5' away, that'll have to do. The Alpine White you have to be on top of and in the right light to see any swirls. It does hide slight layers of dirt better too.
You got it. I have a white truck and I have to admit that I only wash it maybe once or twice a year. Think white is the only color I'll buy now.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 06:02 PM   #16
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
I swore I would never own a black car again after the beating my F25 X3 took for 8 years… and then I replaced that with a F15 in BSM lol. It is what it is, love / hate relationship.
      03-06-2024, 09:50 PM   #17
rmedina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Maybe the swirls come straight from the ports?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 10:02 PM   #18
spazzz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi MHD&XHP,2013 X1 35i

What I use now.
Flex 3401 with Ultracut on Lake Country orange Hybrid.
Then follow with Essence on a CarPro gloss pad.
Wipe it down with Eraser before coating, don't take any chances.
Have a 5 gallon bucket with a healthy dose of Zep Purple and water for the coating rags.
When you switch towels throw the used saturated towels in the bucket to soak. Wash them when you are done and the towels will be just fine.

Use CarpPro inside for the interior.
Just use the Iron-X spray bottle, it is stronger than the soap.
After washing/rinsing,then Iron-X dwell and rinse, I clay. I use the left over Reset and one sponge to lube the car for claying then rinse.
Appreciate 2
      03-07-2024, 02:03 AM   #19
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
What I use now.
Flex 3401 with Ultracut on Lake Country orange Hybrid.
Then follow with Essence on a CarPro gloss pad.
Wipe it down with Eraser before coating, don't take any chances.
Have a 5 gallon bucket with a healthy dose of Zep Purple and water for the coating rags.
When you switch towels throw the used saturated towels in the bucket to soak. Wash them when you are done and the towels will be just fine.

Use CarpPro inside for the interior.
Just use the Iron-X spray bottle, it is stronger than the soap.
After washing/rinsing,then Iron-X dwell and rinse, I clay. I use the left over Reset and one sponge to lube the car for claying then rinse.

Based on my x5 pics/marks - do you think Essence is more than enough and will be able to fix defects?
Ultracut is more aggressive and don’t want to ruin the paint.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:29 AM   #20
icj_45e
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 45e

Quote:
Based on my x5 pics/marks - do you think Essence is more than enough and will be able to fix defects?
Ultracut is more aggressive and don’t want to ruin the paint.
leasehackr IMHO... Essence can not take care of the scratches in your pictures. You'll definitely need UltraCut, ClearCut or Fixer if you want to stick with CarPro products. I recently did a full two stage correction on my wife's 2013 Audi A3. I used Meguiars 100 or 110 ( I forget which one, can be purchased at Harbor Freight) compound followed by CarPro Essence. Essence made the color POP and was a great finishing polish, but offered very little cutting action. All it'll do is clean up the haze from whatever correcting compound you end up using.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Edit: I recently came across this sample pack on sale. Might be worth checking out for you. https://clean-garage.com/rupes-da-co...125ml-bottles/

Last edited by icj_45e; 03-07-2024 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2024, 11:01 AM   #21
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icj_45e View Post
leasehackr IMHO... Essence can not take care of the scratches in your pictures. You'll definitely need UltraCut, ClearCut or Fixer if you want to stick with CarPro products. I recently did a full two stage correction on my wife's 2013 Audi A3. I used Meguiars 100 or 110 ( I forget which one, can be purchased at Harbor Freight) compound followed by CarPro Essence. Essence made the color POP and was a great finishing polish, but offered very little cutting action. All it'll do is clean up the haze from whatever correcting compound you end up using.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Edit: I recently came across this sample pack on sale. Might be worth checking out for you. https://clean-garage.com/rupes-da-co...125ml-bottles/
Thanks for your reply

I posted the same qns to Carpros Insta channel they told me essence should be more than enough. I can always try with small area with ultracut and see if it works

Do you recommend Rupes over carpros? The link you posted for Rupes.

I think I was looking at Rupes DA system earlier. which one you recommend. It goes from 150-500 bucks

https://clean-garage.com/search.php?...uery=DA+system
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2024, 11:52 AM   #22
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can always try with small area
You can definitely mix it up, some areas may need more or less work than others. Only do as much as is needed.
Appreciate 0