BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-28-2021, 03:16 PM   #1
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

Anyone else putting there car up soon for the winter?

Well here we are that time of year at least for myself. The weather is getting cold and rainy and the roads are constantly nasty so I made the call to put up my toy today. It was sunny and nice today and wanted to take advantage of the 60 degree weather to wash her and love her lol. We've had some low 30 degree weather in the mornings and it's just so hard to keep it clean this time of year. I only hand wash her so trying to do that when it's cold and all just isn't very fun. We are headed for low to mid 40's weather potentially next week and they even said maybe some snow flakes. Man it's hard to give in and realize summers over. It was a great summer with this tremendous car.

So for those who were planning on storing your car for the winter anyone close to closing shop for the season yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 04:00 PM   #2
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Where are you?

I will only be driving mine occasionally on nice days. I Won't be driving unnecessarily in snow but have a winter set up in hand for a road trip to Canada next month from NY

Have only done 2k miles in the 6 months I've owned it so it's just a weekend car but will drive it sparingly all year
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 04:47 PM   #3
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
This car is not a garage queen, just drive it in the winter!
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2021, 04:54 PM   #4
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

I live in MD and have driven all my M cars year round, when it's dry and salt-free. Michelin PS4S have never failed me, even when the temperature drops below 20 degrees. Just drive responsibly and keep the traction control on.

Hec, I'm looking forward to some wintertime weekend trips.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 04:56 PM   #5
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
It's not a rare exotic, use the car.

I still didn't get my car yet and while i didn't plan on driving a whole lot during winter, because i'm so anxious to get it and drive it, i'm looking at winter tires to get for when the car does come, i'm swapping in the winters and driving it as much as possible. I leased it so i will make use of EVERY SINGLE MILE. And i won't be babying either lol.
Appreciate 2
AriM3G80164.00
      10-28-2021, 05:43 PM   #6
DoubleDave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Thankfully, the weather here in Central Texas means that winter is like spring and early summer everywhere else.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 06:43 PM   #7
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
I live in MD and have driven all my M cars year round, when it's dry and salt-free. Michelin PS4S have never failed me, even when the temperature drops below 20 degrees. Just drive responsibly and keep the traction control on.

Don't high performance summer tires become hockey pucks below freezing? I poo'd my pants while using summer tires in freezing temperatures in my wrx a few years back, granted some lifted truck was tailgating me.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #8
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDave View Post
Thankfully, the weather here in Central Texas means that winter is like spring and early summer everywhere else.
Yep, sunny winter days are the best here. Sun keeping the road surface warm enough for good traction but that cool dense air!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 07:17 PM   #9
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
Don't high performance summer tires become hockey pucks below freezing? I poo'd my pants while using summer tires in freezing temperatures in my wrx a few years back, granted some lifted truck was tailgating me.
That's what i call them. Hockey pucks.

The compound in summer tires become HARD AS A ROCK when temps drop. Even if you have x-drive, you're going nowhere and stopping in the next county with summer tires.

All seasons help but there's no replacement for a dedicated summer tire for summer and a dedicated winter tire for winter.

Don't skimp on tires. It's the only thing touching the road.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2021, 08:58 PM   #10
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post

I live in Virginia and never bought winter tires for all of the sports cars I owned. Did not drive when inclement weather was on roads. I have two SUV's for that and I hate all season tires. Continental DWS06 are horrible in my opinion and after a few thousand miles you can't turn the radio up loud enough to get rid of the tire noise.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 09:05 PM   #11
zambarossa
Vault Dweller
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT (Dravit/KO/ZPP)

are you kidding, I am waiting to have some fun in the snow :-).
Appreciate 1
Multani61.00
      10-28-2021, 09:09 PM   #12
bmedude
Woohoo I finally got a beamer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

At the rate that I'm going, I'm going to hit the 1200 mile mark somewhere around mid November. At that time, I'm going to have them do the break in service and fit winter tires. This car is going to be a lot of fun in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 09:27 PM   #13
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
That's what i call them. Hockey pucks.

The compound in summer tires become HARD AS A ROCK when temps drop. Even if you have x-drive, you're going nowhere and stopping in the next county with summer tires.

All seasons help but there's no replacement for a dedicated summer tire for summer and a dedicated winter tire for winter.

Don't skimp on tires. It's the only thing touching the road.
For years in Maryland, PA and Jersey, I have run summer Michelins on all my sports and sporty cars, right through winter, and have driven on them fairly spiritedly in winter too...and I've never had an issue, even in cold temps below 20 degrees. And never had an issue with any "hockey puck" sensations.

I have never bought winter or snow tires in my life...and I never buy All Seasons. I always get summer performance tires for my performance cars.

Granted, in my home state of MD, it rarely gets bitterly cold (below 0), but it does get windy and cold. No, I don't drive on them on ice, snow or salt. Then they are indeed quite dangerous (especially with sleet or ice). But when I get caught in a cold rain in the winter on summer performance Michelins, I just drive like I have sense with the TC on...and I've never had a problem. Michelins are quite good in the rain, even a cold, windy rain...even high performance, summer Michelins. No, they are not "designed" for cold temperatures, but they have performed just fine for me.

And when I've driven other performance cars on snow/winter tires on dry pavement, I hate how the performance deteriorates considerably....you lose crisp turn-in, and the car is even limited on pure road holding. And it felt squirrely at higher speeds, like a centipede. The sidewalls are just too soft for performance. Ultimately, it felt like a waste to be driving such a high performance car on winter tires (seemingly 'wasted miles')...unless it's your only car and YOU have to drive it in the snow, rain and sleet on a regular basis.

Last edited by KevinGS; 10-29-2021 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
Seedster2279.00
JDUNITNOW3529.50