07-15-2022, 12:05 PM   #89
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Just dropping by in case BMW NA or wherever reads this. My 2019 G30 will be my first and last BMW if they decide to bring this to the US market. Also doesn't help that they're removing options or things that were standard in previous years from the G30.

Last edited by Mach550; 07-15-2022 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-15-2022, 12:10 PM   #90
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Why is it any different? You paid for the satellite receiver in your car. But unless you keep your subscription, it's useless. Does it matter who's collecting the bill?

You purchase a TV with the understanding that you must pay for subscription services. But Samsung doesn't charge you to turn on the TV itself. That's what BMW is planning to do.
We will have to agree that we will disagree on this point. You paid for a radio which does work without Sirus XM and that would be the same as having a premium channel on cable TV. Also TV's can receive OTA broadcasts with an antenna.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 12:56 PM   #91
cbertels
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 YMB-SS

Anyone else with an early build F8x (maybe others) where all the MyBMW services all stopped working because of a hardware obsolescence? Now imagine paying some monthly service for things like heated seats that just stop working altogether. Biblical mistake.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 12:57 PM   #92
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
Isn't this akin to airlines charging a fee to provide Internet or access while on their flight? The plane already has the hardware and we pay an additional fee to access it (or not).
Not even close
      07-15-2022, 01:21 PM   #93
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

I listen to a lot of finance podcasts and this was a topic on all of them slamming BMW.

They needed to get on top of this several days ago, the damage to the brand has been done and many will never know the real strategy.
Appreciate 1
chrisk03153.00
      07-15-2022, 01:21 PM   #94
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
Isn't this akin to airlines charging a fee to provide Internet or access while on their flight? The plane already has the hardware and we pay an additional fee to access it (or not).
You don't own the airplane, you are simply paying for the ticket.
You don't own the car when you're leasing (or financing) though. Aren't people essentially leasing the seat on the plane? The hardware is there but you still need to pay to access it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 01:54 PM   #95
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
MachinesWithSouls, Siri's XM is a separate company and if you want to listen to their stations after the first year teaser that is up to you. Otherwise the radio in the car still works and this is no different than paying for a premium channel like HBO, Showtime, etc. with your cable TV provider. If you don't want those premium channels you can still watch the basic channel lineup. All of the functionality of your TV is still there.
This is totally different than the subscription approach that BMW is trying to push on the car's features like heated seats, heated steering wheel, etc.
Why is it any different? You paid for the satellite receiver in your car. But unless you keep your subscription, it's useless. Does it matter who's collecting the bill?
You purchase a TV with the understanding that you must pay for subscription services. But Samsung doesn't charge you to turn on the TV itself. That's what BMW is planning to do.
MachinesWithSouls, the point is the following: as commented earlier, a subscription business model for features that need no upgrades since the day of taking delivery, is an inconsiderate money grab ploy.

As far as I know, no physical/mechanical/OTA updates are required by BMW to keep heated seats and High Beam Assist fully operational on a car featuring those options since delivery (except for offering warranty during a limited period of time, but that's another discussion). I have/had those features on all my BMW M cars and during all those years no action whatsoever (efforts/costs/investments/services) was required by BMW to keep those features fully operational.

BMW should by no means be surprised that introducing some sort of "protection money" business model, more particularly to keep heated seats and High Beam Assist alive/operational on a car, hits a nerve.
      07-15-2022, 02:23 PM   #96
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Quote:
MachinesWithSouls, Siri's XM is a separate company and if you want to listen to their stations after the first year teaser that is up to you. Otherwise the radio in the car still works and this is no different than paying for a premium channel like HBO, Showtime, etc. with your cable TV provider. If you don't want those premium channels you can still watch the basic channel lineup. All of the functionality of your TV is still there.
This is totally different than the subscription approach that BMW is trying to push on the car's features like heated seats, heated steering wheel, etc.
MachinesWithSouls, the point is the following: as commented earlier, a subscription business model for features that need no upgrades since the day of taking delivery, is an inconsiderate money grab ploy.

As far as I know, no physical/mechanical/OTA updates are required by BMW to keep heated seats and High Beam Assist fully operational on a car featuring those options since delivery (except for offering warranty during a limited period of time, but that's another discussion). I have/had those features on all my BMW M cars and during all those years no action whatsoever (efforts/costs/investments/services) was required by BMW to keep those features fully operational.

BMW should by no means be surprised that introducing some sort of "protection money" business model, more particularly to keep heated seats and High Beam Assist alive/operational on a car, hits a nerve.
We're saying the same thing. You're fine on current models. This would apply for future ones.
      07-15-2022, 02:27 PM   #97
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Wasn't there exactly this kind of shit storm when BMW tried to charge for Apple CarPlay subscriptions?

I guess BMW employs the only humans alive who feel like they need to see what happens when they touch the hot stove a second time
Appreciate 1
chrisk03153.00
      07-15-2022, 02:37 PM   #98
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
We're saying the same thing. You're fine on current models. This would apply for future ones.
I know that.

Do the math regarding the existing and forthcoming system, and you quickly realize what the purpose is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
My former Summer 2011 1M (Belgian market):
  • heated seats: €335 option (VAT included) = ± $335;
  • High Beam Assist: €155 option (VAT included) = ± $155.
Hypothetical (merely for the sake of getting the message across; I know, different era): imagine that BMW would have charged the announced South-Korean market prices (± $18.50 per month for heated seats and ± $8.50 per month for High Beam Assist: see here and here):
  • heated seats: $335/$18.50 per month represents 18 months and 4 days
    = expiry early 2013;
  • High Beam Assist: $155/$8.50 per month represents 18 months and 8 days
    = expiry early 2013.
It's July 2022 and guess what: although I don't own the car anymore (moved on to an M2 in 2016 and to an M2 Competition in 2020), I am convinced that no physical/mechanical/OTA updates and no efforts/costs/investments were required by BMW or the current 1M owner to keep those features fully operational on that 2011 car as we speak. And it will stay that way for many years to come.
For the record:
  • on my 2016 M2 heated seats (494) were a standard feature and High Beam Assist (5AC) was a €155 option;
  • on my 2020 M2 heated seats (494) and High Beam Assist (5AC) were standard features.
      07-15-2022, 07:05 PM   #99
Artemis
Rep

Jalopnik article | July 11, 2022 + July 14, 2022:

"BMW Is Trying Again With Subscription-Based Access to Luxury Features, This Time in South Korea (Update)
Our friends in South Korea will have to pay $18 a month for heated seats, or $406 for permanent access.
By Lawrence Hodge
https://jalopnik.com/bmw-is-trying-a...o-l-1849165434

Subscription-based access to vehicle features are among the most unpopular ideas automakers have ever pursued. But as the industry transitions into EVs and profit margins dwindle, automakers are coming up with creative ways to make more money off of customers. No one wants the subscription model, but car companies are trying it anyway. BMW caught heat for proposing subscriptions for optional comfort features before; now, the company is trying it again, this time in South Korea.

Editor’s Note, July 14, 2022: A few days after we published this article, a representative from BMW of North America contacted Jalopnik to reassure us that the company will not be pursuing the subscription-based model currently implemented in South Korea for North American customers. We’ve included BMW of North America’s full statement at the bottom of this article.

BMW tried and failed to get people to pay $80 a year for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Then, in early 2020, BMW rolled out a software update to its vehicles that brought new connected features. Among these updates were new connected car services BMW was trying to sell as “ongoing software updates” for things like navigation and charging services for plug-in hybrids. It was a preview of the slow march into a money-grab dystopia of having your car’s features locked behind software you have to pay to activate. BMW reps told our own Jason Torchinsky that the company hadn’t really decided whether it would pursue subscription-based options. But as we can clearly see, the decision had already been made in other markets.

A BMW rep spoke with The Drive and explained that the decision was motivated by low take-rates on certain features like adaptive cruise control. In a way, this reasoning makes sense to a certain extent: Why build thousands of cars with a feature most customers will never use? Let people pay for what they want.

Don’t let that argument take you in, though. This is all very bad.

Now, BMW has gone all-in on feature subscriptions in South Korea. Available for purchase through an online digital hub called BMW ConnectedDrive Store, customers in South Korea will have to pay extra for even the simplest of features. Take heated seats: Customers can pay the equivalent of $18 a month, $176 for a year, $283 for 3 years, or $406 for permanent access. If you want a heated steering wheel, that’ll be extra: roughly $10 a month, $161 for three years, or $222 for unlimited. Permanent access to Apple CarPlay will cost South Korean customers just over $304, while enhanced engine sounds played through the stereo will be $137. Even driver safety assistance features will cost our friends in South Korea: High-beam-assist headlights, which automatically brighten or dim the headlights depending on traffic, will cost $8 a month, $84 for a year, $122 for three years or $183 for unlimited use.

It’s maddening, but this business model probably isn’t going away any time soon. As we transition to EVs, automakers will lose out on dealer service center profits from stuff like oil changes and routine maintenance. It’s unclear whether BMW intends to bring this subscription model from South Korea to the U.S., and if so, how the prices will compare.

BMW of North America’s statement clarifying how Functions on Demand will work for U.S. customers:
As premium vehicle purchasers, BMW customers in the USA demand a high level of equipment in their vehicles. Options like heated seats are ordered on over 90% of the BMW’s sold in the USA. BMW of North America does not expect factory option purchase levels to change significantly going forward. BMW Functions on Demand on the other hand is designed to offer premium features through software upload that use data and sensors from factory option hardware already built into BMW vehicles. As an example, some BMW models equipped with certain specific options from the factory can currently add the first two Functions on Demand features available in the US – namely a dash cam function called BMW Drive Recorder and BMW Remote Engine Start function—through a software download in a customer’s vehicle. The BMW Drive Recorder feature uses the cameras needed for advanced driver assist systems for dash cam functionality. This gives customers the possibility of adding new software based functionality and a degree of flexibility in that they will be able to test, and then decide whether or not to purchase a vehicle feature that was not initially available at the time of the original vehicle purchase.
With BMW Functions on Demand, customers will be able to explore new software based features on a short-term basis by purchasing a trial, or buying that feature outright for a period of time or for the life of the vehicle. It is important to note that BMW Functions on Demand is intended primarily as a digital aftermarket solution and will not affect options that were ordered at the time of the vehicle purchase. For example, if a vehicle is initially ordered with heated seats, that option will not go away nor be subjected to a monthly fee.
Please note that BMW Functions on Demand and the possibility to test or purchase select options after the point of purchase is part of a global aftersales strategy that BMW has introduced in various markets around the world, including on a small-scale basis in the U.S. The features that are available in this digital aftermarket will vary from market-to-market. Customers can browse available features in their local ConnectedDrive store online.
"

See also this older Jalopnik article | July 2, 2020 (strongly worded):
"BMW's New Feature Subscription Plan Idea Needs To Be Stopped Before It Starts":
https://jalopnik.com/bmws-new-featur...sto-1844246264
      07-15-2022, 09:26 PM   #100
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

2030 Reset is no joke - own nothing and be happy!
      07-15-2022, 11:51 PM   #101
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Why exactly? Many people don't use the seat heaters except in winter, so they might prefer to just pay for them 3-4 months a year, provided that's cheaper for a few years than paying for the option up front.
Really? save money by renting your BMW seats?...
Still think it's stupid.
      07-16-2022, 05:13 AM   #102
petrolhead.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

BMWs are becoming less and less attractive to me…the interior design…the exterior design…now this…I need to find a new hobby

I forgot to mention the excessive weight 😕
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 05:21 AM   #103
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Seems to me bmw wants to streamline their manufacturing by putting everything in everything, and is now just trying to figure out a way to make money off that after the fact. Cart ahead of horse, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 07:07 AM   #104
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I really don't like how the subscription model is being applied to EVERYTHING.
Appreciate 1
mkizzo207.00
      07-16-2022, 07:10 AM   #105
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Done with BMW if this is fully implemented. I'm perfectly happy with my "basic" Toyota 4Runner, whose features I own and control outright.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 07:19 AM   #106
TedDz
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A5

As a shopper and not yet BMW owner (I have an A5 convertible now) I now have a real problem. I have struggled between waiting for the X5 LCI version of the 45e, the current version and alternatives like the Lexus and Audi E-Tron. With the capability of feature add/removal functionality seemingly being part of the strategic roadmap of BMW, existing models like the current X5 and X7 with their physical buttons and current software would be more difficult (but not impossible) to add/remove functionality. On the other hand the subscription plan has been in the works for a while. You can't just drop a new software architecture into something weighing several tons without a considerable amount of risk and so the subscription plan had to be part of the requirements built into the software when iDrive 8 was developed.

One of the reasons I purchased the A5 was the subscription mess with BMW and Apple Carplay. I need to consider the Lexus RX (Toyota is notoriously conservative in its technology) and the Audi E-Tron (also a legacy platform). These computers with tires have the potential of being dangerous to their owners. The more you fool around with the underlying software a vehicle uses the more likely a catastrophic failure is likely to occur. What goes up can also come down and a compromise of the vendors cloud services could be really bad.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 07:48 AM   #107
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Wait til they start disabling your car if your payment is late. I guess every company is jumping on the "own nothing and be happy" train. I don't think I'll be buying anymore new BMWs. They're becoming less and less attractive physically and financially.
      07-16-2022, 11:35 AM   #108
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
The people in the back part is perfect, less legal BS. I am guessing they want all cars to be built with heated seat and steering wheel and then convince people later to turn the feature on. Without physical buttons it makes sense. I'm pretty sure when I'm done with these two bmws we'll try to find a car with physical buttons, haha. Maybe go downmarket or buy a used bmw with low miles. Buttons are lovely, really. BMW might be saving so much money on buttons the bean counters convinced the marketing guys to do this approach.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2022, 12:30 PM   #109
ihbase
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90, e91, f31, f87

Now, if you would like to purchase a pre-owed BMW, please see your dealer to activate the monthly subscription for each option...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 01:59 AM   #110
wbeemer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5 45EEEEEE

Such bs
Appreciate 0