BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

08-20-2022, 07:58 AM   #1
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

What MY represents the end of the big ICE?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I'm not happy about it, but I think we're coming to a close on the monster gas engines that many of us here enjoy. They are already coming out of some American "hot cars", no more SRT Jeep/Hellcat Durango, and likely never to be another again.

I'm both curious on "when" others think, but also trying to time out my purchase. If you look at used prices for the "last of" cars out there, they are incredibly high. The "last of" year for something like an M5, anything Alpina, etc; those cars will probably be great investments and keep their value or even appreciate though time. Long story short, I'm kicking myself for not buying a "last of" Viper, or a "last of" Hellcat Durango right now and don't want to do the same when the "last of" comes to BMW.

Shoot, I might try to get a few of them. But to appreciate, they're going to have to be the "hottest" models, M cars and Alpina. I'm pretty sure, however, if you get one of those, you're going to see an incredibly low cost of ownership for a very expensive car, perhaps even appreciation if you don't drive it much or keep it a long time.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2022, 08:40 AM   #2
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
when the "last of" comes to BMW.
For me, the "last of" period for BMW ended when they started with the FXX series cars. If you want the authentic BMW experience, go buy just about anything from the E-chassis days, preferably non-turbo.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 10:34 AM   #3
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
I'm kicking myself for not buying a "last of" Viper, or a "last of" Hellcat Durango right now and don't want to do the same when the "last of" comes to BMW.

Guess you're in luck then?

https://www.caranddriver.com/dodge/durango-srt-hellcat
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 10:38 AM   #4
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebirotedu View Post
There goes 100K, thanks for nothing!!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 11:38 AM   #5
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

The v12's are already done for. The V-8's will be gone soon. Some high electric assist V or I 6's will take their place if manufacturers want to keep Petrol fueled engines in their lineup - think Acura NSX powertrain.

I got my V12 in large part because of this. It's a long term purchase, 10-15 years minimum. It gets driven 3-5K a year. By the end of this time span my kids will be fully on their own, and I'll likely downsize to a smaller sports car of the day (which will surely be an EV).

It will be quite rare when I have to decide what to do with it. It's fully optioned out too, so desirable in that sense. Yes, the end of big engines steered my decision. The Alpina was a strong contender, but for the same price in slightly used market I was able to get a V12.

I drove tesla model S with more power and torque, but no soul and an Ikea interior. It evoked no desire to "live" with it's short comings. Cool acceleration, but that's about where the "cool" ended for me. I don't care about the tech very much, and a loaded M760i has an awful lot of cool tech, more than the tesla actually. I think the Tesla is cool as shit, just not for me, not for my "I'm gonna keep it" car.

I looked at other brands too, there aren't many left to choose from already. I think we already passed the peak of big gas engines with big reliable power, they still exist but are in steep decline. This decline will accelerate.
Appreciate 1