05-29-2021, 09:04 PM   #67
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, G80 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
I'll have to double check the resonators when I get home but I do believe you are correct
Thank you 🙌🏻
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 09:44 PM   #68
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattburks View Post
Quote:
I'll have to double check the resonators when I get home but I do believe you are correct
LBbluem2
If you don't mind 100% confirming when handy... I'll owe you 2 beers now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLife View Post
Quote:
Thank you 🙌🏻
Yep back one has the x
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 09:59 PM   #69
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

Quote:
Great thread! So my takeaways are: secondary cat delete (right after downpipe flanges) biggest bang for buck in volume. First resonator (closest to engine) is straight through piping with baffles and expansion chamber, little volume benefit removing. Second resonator (furthest from engine) is more complex and is where cylinder bank mixing occurs (are we 100% on this, anyone have pics?). If these takeaways are correct, i would defo do secondary cat delete since they are unmonitored (did this on my aston with the amg ttv8, results were legendary) and the first resonaotor. My experience with secondary cat deletes has been really really good. I would expect zero point zero drone with secondary cat n first resonator delete on the G8x
This plus charcoal filter removal and bmc could be the move...
If anyone does this, please post a video. I think just pulling the res and adding the x-pipe will be plenty of noise for me and my neighbors, but I would certainly like to hear all the options.

///M
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 10:00 PM   #70
E36 PWR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G07 X7, F30 335i, E46 M3

Is there a rule of thumb on where the X/H pipe should go? How are you guys deciding how far back to put it?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 10:18 PM   #71
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Wolf View Post
If anyone does this, please post a video. I think just pulling the res and adding the x-pipe will be plenty of noise for me and my neighbors, but I would certainly like to hear all the options.
Ill do it. I need a car first tho just placed order.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 11:09 PM   #72
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Great thread! So my takeaways are: secondary cat delete (right after downpipe flanges) biggest bang for buck in volume. First resonator (closest to engine) is straight through piping with baffles and expansion chamber, little volume benefit removing. Second resonator (furthest from engine) is more complex and is where cylinder bank mixing occurs (are we 100% on this, anyone have pics?). If these takeaways are correct, i would defo do secondary cat delete since they are unmonitored (did this on my aston with the amg ttv8, results were legendary) and the first resonaotor. My experience with secondary cat deletes has been really really good. I would expect zero point zero drone with secondary cat n first resonator delete on the G8x
I have a bunch of videos on the first post
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 11:10 PM   #73
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 PWR View Post
Is there a rule of thumb on where the X/H pipe should go? How are you guys deciding how far back to put it?
They're merged at the last second on our car but on an e9x m3 they merge about halfway down so I don't think it really matters
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 11:30 PM   #74
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm talking about the secondary cat bypass with one res out.

///M
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2021, 12:01 AM   #75
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm talking about the secondary cat bypass with one res out.
I'm curious as well... I may try to get it done
Appreciate 1
Der_Wolf888.00
      05-30-2021, 05:27 AM   #76
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Plus the airbox stuff... should give it some more umph. There no air filters yet tho. Does anyone know whether the g80/2 use filters from other models? They tend to recycle stuff like this. My 2020 vantage used 2 x 2007 alpina b7 filters. I kid you not!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 09:53 AM   #77
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

I plan to try and get this done on Tuesday! Spoke
To 2 muffler shops yesterday, and driving to see them Monday for a Tuesday job!
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2021, 11:21 AM   #78
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Plus the airbox stuff... should give it some more umph. There no air filters yet tho. Does anyone know whether the g80/2 use filters from other models? They tend to recycle stuff like this. My 2020 vantage used 2 x 2007 alpina b7 filters. I kid you not!
Yeah I've taken out the filter in the top of the air box and it makes a pretty dramatic difference I've found.

Couple that with the cheap exhaust mod and it makes some pretty awesome sounds for next to nothing.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 05:48 PM   #79
warcity
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Manual

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I've taken out the filter in the top of the air box and it makes a pretty dramatic difference I've found.

Couple that with the cheap exhaust mod and it makes some pretty awesome sounds for next to nothing.
Can you tell me more about the filter mod you've made? Is it just the top cover you've removed?
      05-30-2021, 08:55 PM   #80
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcity View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Can you tell me more about the filter mod you've made? Is it just the top cover you've removed?
Yeah just open up each individual air box t-10 driver I believe

On the motor side or the air box there are some grey colored filters(carbon or charcoal filters I can't remember the name).

Pry them out of their position and and stow them away.

Put your airbox's back together and viola... lots more turbo spool for your auditory pleasures.

Super common mod with no downside and dealership will never notice.
Appreciate 2
warcity337.50
dimab0233.50
      05-30-2021, 09:06 PM   #81
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

On the motor side or the air box there are some grey colored filters(carbon or charcoal filters I can't remember the name).

Put your airbox's back together and viola... lots more turbo spool for your auditory pleasures.

It's a Torx 25 screwdriver actually. You also need a flat head for the hose clamps. Don't forget to do both air boxes. The Torx screws stay in the box so you don't have to worry about them falling into the engine bay. I always tie a band around the screwdriver handle and attach it to my wrist so I don't drop the driver down the engine bay either (although I don't think I've ever let go).

///M
Appreciate 2
warcity337.50
      05-30-2021, 10:28 PM   #82
warcity
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Manual

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for the details. 🙏🏼👍
      05-31-2021, 04:35 PM   #83
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
It's a Torx 25 screwdriver actually. You also need a flat head for the hose clamps. Don't forget to do both air boxes. The Torx screws stay in the box so you don't have to worry about them falling into the engine bay. I always tie a band around the screwdriver handle and attach it to my wrist so I don't drop the driver down the engine bay either (although I don't think I've ever let go).
You don't need to remove the bracing to do this?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 04:41 PM   #84
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteflier View Post
Quote:
You don't need to remove the bracing to do this?
No you do not. Probably the only benefit of the carbon fiber brace being gone hahah.
Attached Images

///M
Appreciate 2
warcity337.50
      05-31-2021, 06:27 PM   #85
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80GM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David92 View Post
That's awesome, how much did that run you?
He charged me 1000 for that but he has different options mine was more because of the v band clamps but he did another one and I think he charged like 700 or 800
You paid 1k for this job?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 09:51 AM   #86
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80GM View Post
Yes cause I did everything with v band clamps 4 of them that’s already about 300 bucks just on clamps plus pipeing and labor I think it’s about right like I said there’s cheaper ways of doing it he said but that’s how I wanted it done
Whats the benefit of getting V band clamps over doing it how OP did?

///M
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 08:28 PM   #87
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Update:

With my current setup:
Res delete
X pipe
Valves open

I get a pretty mean drone on inclines at highway speeds.

The car also sounds a bit like a boat at low rpm when I'm warming it up in efficient.

Also if you hit the exhaust button it turns burbles completely off.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 09:09 PM   #88
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update:

With my current setup:
Res delete
X pipe
Valves open

I get a pretty mean drone on inclines at highway speeds.

The car also sounds a bit like a boat at low rpm when I'm warming it up in efficient.

Also if you hit the exhaust button it turns burbles completely off.
That's not the update I was hoping for my man

///M
Appreciate 1
AJM1125114.50