BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-16-2021, 04:25 PM   #45
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

I beleive you can install the JB4 with just 3 connectors and its basically a RC. You would only use the lowest boost maps though.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 06:06 PM   #46
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

So to recap.

The tuning options for the S58 are:

- JB4 (preferred by forum members who'd like e85 and beyond capabilities?)
- RaceChip (preferred by those that are not looking at e85 and beyond?)
- BootMod3 (have not heard much about this option, but one of the BMW sales rep. swears by it)
- Dinan (coming soon? And if available, will it be the #1 preferred due to its reliability and non-piggyback approach?)

Note that I put a '?' at the end of my opinions because as I said before, I'm a newbie with this platform and even less experienced tuning it.

BTW, speaking of newbie, the other day I felt like I discovered time travel when I learned that all you have to do to turn off all the electronics in the car after shutting the engine off is push the radio "off" button
Appreciate 2
      11-16-2021, 06:14 PM   #47
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixY2K View Post
So to recap.

The tuning options for the S58 are:

- JB4 (preferred by forum members who'd like e85 and beyond capabilities?)
- RaceChip (preferred by those that are not looking at e85 and beyond?)
- BootMod3 (have not heard much about this option, but one of the BMW sales rep. swears by it)
- Dinan (coming soon? And if available, will it be the #1 preferred due to its reliability and non-piggyback approach?)

Note that I put a '?' at the end of my opinions because as I said before, I'm a newbie with this platform and even less experienced tuning it.

BTW, speaking of newbie, the other day I felt like I discovered time travel when I learned that all you have to do to turn off all the electronics in the car after shutting the engine off is push the radio "off" button
if you are not running E85, the Jb4 is still a very popular option.

It all depends on whether you want a simpler to install kit or you'd rather spend more time on the install and get more features once done.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
GixY2K515.00
      11-16-2021, 06:45 PM   #48
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I beleive you can install the JB4 with just 3 connectors and its basically a RC. You would only use the lowest boost maps though.
I did that on the F90 JB4 for awhile, only attached 2 connections which made it just like a RaceChip. It was fun but then I wanted more power and control and later attached the other 3 connections. It's nice that they designed it to be modular like that.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 08:11 PM   #49
Soylent
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C

Quote:
- Dinan (coming soon? And if available, will it be the #1 preferred due to its reliability and non-piggyback approach?
I think the Dinan is a piggyback like the units for the F8x. Unless they secretly cracked the ECU? I had the Dinan flash tune and supercharger on my E46 M3 but the ECU was cracked back then.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 11:08 PM   #50
MrJDS
Rep
Drives: F80 CS, G80 xdrive, G87 (now)

I too am deciding between RC and JB4 for my xdrive g80 (prefer bootmod but I'm hearing the flash is a ways away). Going to be running just 91.

It seems from my research that RC is the more sensible option (power increase comes in a more linear fashion) whereas JB4 is a bit more aggressive. I might not notice the difference if I'm just running 91 but can anyone confirm this? Anyone have experience with both in the g8x platform?

Im thinking for an xdrive it might make sense to go with the more aggressive option since it can handle the increased power better than the RWD versions.

Last edited by MrJDS; 11-16-2021 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: added clarification that just running 91 oct
Appreciate 1
GixY2K515.00
      11-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #51
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
if you are not running E85, the Jb4 is still a very popular option.

It all depends on whether you want a simpler to install kit or you'd rather spend more time on the install and get more features once done.
You're right.

And just from the cost alone perspective, why not go with a product that will allow you to upgrade to e85 later on for the same price.

I already got my wishlist. And as it stands 'today', it will come with a JB4 (CAI & AA Xpipe and DONE!)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 09:36 AM   #52
Soylent
Major
Rep

Quote:
You're right.

And just from the cost alone perspective, why not go with a product that will allow you to upgrade to e85 later on for the same price.

I already got my wishlist. And as it stands 'today', it will come with a JB4 (CAI & AA Xpipe and DONE!)
No carbon bits? HAS? You can't stop there
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 10:40 AM   #53
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJDS View Post
It seems from my research that RC is the more sensible option (power increase comes in a more linear fashion) whereas JB4 is a bit more aggressive. I might not notice the difference if I'm just running 91 but can anyone confirm this? Anyone have experience with both in the g8x platform?
The F90 JB4 has a VALET setting that runs half as much boost as factory. I would not consider that aggressive lol. I think it comes down to what map you run on each, and the difference is what data is coming in to the unit and what sensors it can manipulate based on that data. The more coming in the smoother and safer they can make the tuning at any power level, but it comes at a price of extra installation complexity. That is why JB4 lets you install only 2/5 connections if you want but suggests you install at least 3/5. They want to pick off some RaceChip customers who want an easier install regardless of the less smooth/worse tuning.
Appreciate 1
MrJDS16.00
      11-17-2021, 01:46 PM   #54
MrJDS
Rep
Drives: F80 CS, G80 xdrive, G87 (now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachDinanFan View Post
The F90 JB4 has a VALET setting that runs half as much boost as factory. I would not consider that aggressive lol. I think it comes down to what map you run on each, and the difference is what data is coming in to the unit and what sensors it can manipulate based on that data. The more coming in the smoother and safer they can make the tuning at any power level, but it comes at a price of extra installation complexity. That is why JB4 lets you install only 2/5 connections if you want but suggests you install at least 3/5. They want to pick off some RaceChip customers who want an easier install regardless of the less smooth/worse tuning.
Gotcha. When I was talking about aggressive I meant how the tune deploys the power. From my limited research I heard the RC eases into the power and JB4 is more of an early revs power dump. this would be true in all map settings supposedly. Haven't seen the hp/tq curves with just 91 oct so wondering if anyone could confirm this
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 01:49 PM   #55
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha. When I was talking about aggressive I meant how the tune deploys the power. From my limited research I heard the RC eases into the power and JB4 is more of an early revs power dump. this would be true in all map settings supposedly. Haven't seen the hp/tq curves with just 91 oct so wondering if anyone could confirm this
I don't see how that could be true since the RaceChip can't read the gas pedal input or anything else while the JB4 can read gas pedal and other things to factor in to the tuning.
Appreciate 1
MrJDS16.00
      11-17-2021, 03:24 PM   #56
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Even if this were true which I doubt, jb4 has a custom map mode where you can set your own boost adjustments per RPM.
Appreciate 1
MrJDS16.00
      11-18-2021, 09:45 PM   #57
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
Even if this were true which I doubt, jb4 has a custom map mode where you can set your own boost adjustments per RPM.
Spot on here. JB4 is very configurable. I don't have experience with racechip, but I have a hard time believing that it does anything that JB4 can't do better.

And I'm at a loss for why anyone would buy a JB4 and not mate all the connections... If full install is too much for you then you should probably just keep it stock.

Dinan? Joke.

Fingers crossed for flash tuning options, but they're not really here yet. If they were, you'd be hearing more about them.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 02:15 PM   #58
JsGarageCo
JsGarage.co
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3 BASE

My Racechip just arrived yesterday.

I will try to install it before my midpipe and drop in filters.

I will document, before/after of each parts installed.

I am hoping to be impressed.

Last edited by JsGarageCo; 11-19-2021 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-19-2021, 02:49 PM   #59
Soylent
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsGarageCo View Post

You will.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2021, 08:01 PM   #60
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsGarageCo View Post

Similar set up to what I'm going after. Are you getting the BT option on the Racechip?

Also, on a different topic...
Just came across this article talking about G-Power tuning packages (600/650/700hp):

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/11/18/b...-power-tuning/
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #61
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
Spot on here. JB4 is very configurable. I don't have experience with racechip, but I have a hard time believing that it does anything that JB4 can't do better.

And I'm at a loss for why anyone would buy a JB4 and not mate all the connections... If full install is too much for you then you should probably just keep it stock.

Dinan? Joke.

Fingers crossed for flash tuning options, but they're not really here yet. If they were, you'd be hearing more about them.
If you go in for service a lot it's nice to be able to just install 2 out of the 5 connections and get a power boost without having to install/remove the whole thing each time. It's the same reason people here are paying the same price as a JB4 almost for RaceChip despite it's huge technical limitations. At least with the JB4 you still have the option to attach the rest of the connections later.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 11:52 AM   #62
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
If you go in for service a lot it's nice to be able to just install 2 out of the 5 connections and get a power boost without having to install/remove the whole thing each time. It's the same reason people here are paying the same price as a JB4 almost for RaceChip despite it's huge technical limitations. At least with the JB4 you still have the option to attach the rest of the connections later.
Maybe I'm not appreciating the difficulty of those other 3 JB4 connections on this platform? How much extra time/effort are we talking?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #63
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

I may be wrong but isn't there a one really difficult connection on the Racechip as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 03:12 PM   #64
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
I may be wrong but isn't there a one really difficult connection on the Racechip as well?
Yeah it's maybe a 15 min process
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 03:26 PM   #65
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
Maybe I'm not appreciating the difficulty of those other 3 JB4 connections on this platform? How much extra time/effort are we talking?
On the F90 it's around 10 minutes to install the basic 2 connections, then another 20 to install the other 3. Still waiting on my G80 but it looks sort of similar.
Appreciate 1
Eris496219.50
      11-27-2021, 04:26 PM   #66
Culby4122
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Do you have any good clear videos or write ups on the Racechip install on the G80?? I have the A clip installed where I believe it is correct but I am getting alot of engine codes and then the car loses connection with the control box. I have checked all of the connections several times and still getting the same result. There is another clip in the area so not sure if maybe I'm hooking up to the wrong clip. There aren't any good videos or clear pictures online. I have installed many of these units on other cars and never had this much trouble.
Appreciate 0