BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

02-02-2022, 11:48 AM   #1
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

F80 M3CS vs G80 m3: My impressions

So, I've had a G80x on order for a while. Was supposed to go into production on 12/8 then it got pushed back to 2/6, then to ???, and now it looks like i'm back to mid march production again. I have the car pretty much loaded up with everything except CCB which is not a great option if you actually track your car. I'm currently in the M3cs which I really really love, but the lease is due now. Having not driven the G80, i had a lot of anxiety letting it go. So after numerour attempts to drive one, meet up with someone that had one, at least experience it before letting go the CS, I finally found one at Carmax in almost similar spec that I wanted minus the carbon buckets. Turns out that Carmax will allow 24 hour test drives and does a 30 day return guarantee. To be honest, the process of dealing with them was super easy and nice. Big Props to them. No hassle, no bulshit, no pressure. This is how buying cars should be like to be honest. Anyway, got to spend a day with the car after some preliminary paperwork. Also, this is my 3rd car, my fun car, and I have much better daily's that I use normally to putter around town and work. I use this car primary for fun, destress, and "meditate".

The quick and dirty summary is this: The g80, objectively, is a better car in a every single way, except, driving pleasure, which to me, is probably the most important thing about an ///M car. How does it make you FEEL driving it is just as important as how it does it. It was fast, stupid fast and really competitent, eats up road and bumps like a champ. I was going faster and more relaxed on the same section vs the CS. Up to 7/10 driving, it was awesome. BUT, and this is a really big But, it felt too clinical, too "computerized" and too smooth and composed to get my heart rate going. The ZF is a huge let down when it comes to that experience. It was great at puttering around town and driving causually, but on the highway or "Fun" driving, it really can't hold a candle to the DCT. I don't know if I'm getting old now, but I just don't care about the speed part as much as I used to. The CS and almost all performace cars these days, are already fast enough and maybe too fast to really enjoy. I don't need to go faster as I'm normally in tripple digit speeds a lot anyway, but I do want to feel like I'm getting a straight adrelanice shot when I push that M button. The CS, with all it's flaws and age felling compared to the G80, just feels so special when you drive it. The noises it makes, organically and naturally, going through the revs and gears, just sucks you in more and more. And then the DCT shifts.... what a pleasure. It makes going up and down the gears an occassion. You are waiting in anticipation on WOT to shift that next gear. It's like a "release of pleasure" when you finally do. Basically, when driving that car hard, it just puts a smile on my face and touches my soul doing it. It feels like "car" crack to me, honestly. I get in the car to go for a quick drive, and then end up in another state before I've had enough. It just sucks you in and the harder you push, the more enjoyable it becomes. Now that I had the opportunity to drive the G80, Harris' review kinda hits it right on the nail. I didn't appreciate it as much previously. It's amazing and compitent and a better car, but it doesnt feel special like the previous gen M3 did. Also, I'm super spoiled with the CS and that's my measuring stick, so that could be the issue as well.

I had the benefit of taking my car at the same time, having a friend drive it along and then just hop back and forth between the two cars back to back on the same sections of the road. I think if I didn't have a chance to do that, the G80 would have been been amazing. Like I said, it feels like a more grown up, more mature version of the car, more m5 than m3 at this point. It's quiter to drive, more insulated, and absorbs the road much much better. The interior and exterior feels like next gen cars too. Getting back into the CS, you really feel it's aged already. The g80 is a better daily.

But there's a lot of things that the new one doesn't do better, in my opinion too. The HUD is huge and has nice graphics, but it's totaly crap in M mode driving the car hard. It's like they designed it on a computer screen to looks nice and then forgot to actually properly test it. Again, in M mode, as I don't give a S**** about the other modes, it too big, too high up and too bright. It impedes the view ahead, especially at night, and I had a hard time seeing the road directly in front of the car when driving, which made me nervous and causious. Like why do I need the FN direction to be below the tech if i'm in M mode. I kept it in reduced height mode, but that just makes it feel castrated honestly. The M HUD should only show you 3 things: Revs, Gear, and Speed. That's it. That's all you need on spirited drives. On the F80, it's nice and low, just out of direct view in front, but still in your eye sight. It feels compact and squashed down but still presents all the relevant information. The new one is so large, it feels like it takes up like 1/3 of the windshield. My cousin has an X3m and good friend has M5c and both complain about the same thing.

Secondly, I really missed the hood bulge when looking out the windshield. That's been a M3 trademar since the e46 came out. It makes you feel like your in something special when you see that and that it has something special under the hood. In the CS in particular, with the dip to the vent, it looks huge.

The size of the car of the car was also noticeable. Although physically, the cars aren't that much larger, the CS and F80, feel like they shrink around you. When you are driving the car, it feels smaller than it seems. On the other hand, the G8 feels bigger than it is. Maybe, I'm just not used to it, but it definitely felt larger to me.

The looks are awesome. I love the way the G80 looks like. It feels like next gen and driving next to it, looked mean and aggressive.

As I've said it before, the transmission to me, was a huge let down in the car. All the reviews also mention it and I finally understand what they mean. It's very smooth and shifts quick enough, but the lack of the "drama" when pushing it is what was the let down. It is definitely better than the x3m and M5c that I drove. Feels more aggressive than those cars. But it's not as immediate, precise or instant as the DCT. It's like when you drive the F80, you actually have to "drive" the car. You are always aware of what you are doing and make little adjustment to compensate, like lifting off the throttle if shifting in corner (or not shifting at all to offset the car) and being aware when to shift and how hard to shift. In the G80, it's so smooth, you just click without thinking. Mid corner, no problem, full throttle, who cares. Even though this might be faster and better for lap times, it definitely not as exciting to drive. Also, the DCT handle is the perfect shape to fit just right in the hand. It's like they actually "engineered" it for driving. The G80, looks very nice, but it doesn't feel as nice to hold it. Again, it's like they "designed" it and didn't actually test to shift with it much. I guess with the ZF, most people will keep in D mode and that's probably not an issue. The way that this tranny shifts, I guess that makes a lot of sense. In my CS, i'm in manual mode 95% of the time. Around town, highway, etc. Having driven manuals for a long time, I appreciate the mechanical and clunky feel of the dct. it makes the car feels like a sports car.

I'm so torn on the decision to be honest. On the one hand, the G80 is a better car all around. New tech and new gen. If it was my daily, it would be an easy pick. On the other hand, I think we all get ///M cars, to feel special and exhilarating when driving them. The G80 is so good as the regular daily and luxury stuff, that it no longer feels that special to drive it fast and hard, at least compared to the CS. It does the job exceptionally well, much better than the F80, but it doesn't suck in me as much as the CS does. At night, to be honest with you, when its dark inside the cabin, it hard to tell that you are not in a m340. As I mentioned before, cars are getting way too fast these days as is to really enjoy on public roads, and speed is not the highest priority. It should be how they make you feel while doing it especially now with everything going electric which will blow the performance out of the water soon. Even the noises it makes, although much better than before, doesn't feel like it has the same range of the natural noise that the CS makes. I think the noise and feel of the car is what makes it feel special in addition to how fast it can go. When I get in the CS, yes it feels aged, but when I start driving it, it feels special. Maybe I'm getting old now, but I also appreciate the "old school" mechanical gauges, the old school mechanical feel of the car. The new one feels like driving a computerized game almost. I thought I would really like it, but I really didn't. Like I said, the younger me would be all over that, but I'm kinda not so excited about it. I'm okay going slower, but having more fun doing it to be honest. I don't know. I kinda wish I had more time in the G80. I guess the 24 hours and 200 miles wasn't enough. It did grow on me, but to put it bluntly, "it didn't tickle my balls driving it like the CS does"

Last edited by wasya152; 05-17-2023 at 11:04 PM..
Appreciate 13
GGG333601.50
EricVR4603.50
ks74.50
_E90S65_739.00
ATX_M3185.50
ASAP10217.50
akkando5869.00
BigHunk269.50
ScullyD5165.50
      02-02-2022, 12:05 PM   #2
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Good review, thanks. Have you considered a 6MT?
      02-02-2022, 12:29 PM   #3
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

So, OP, have you cancelled the order?

@Night already asked, but I had the same question. My car is a manual transmission, not because it's slower, not because it's more hassle to drive in traffic, and not because it has less horsepower. Because it's more engaging to drive.

Everyone is different, which is why they make different cars. There's nothing wrong with preferring the F80. Many people (including me) have lamented every new edition of the M3 since the E30 (which honestly I had not driven, but I have driven 325is E30s and they are a blast) as being less: Less communicative, less of an M car, less, less, less albeit faster and more capable with every iteration. Me personally, I thought the E90 the worst of them all, and the E46 the best. I have not owned an F80 except for the F30 340i version which sucked in so many ways. I considered an F80 (F82?) M4 but it didn't tickle me, and the one I looked at (used) had issues with the CF roof so I passed, and shortly thereafter bought the G82. And for me, it is the exception; no longer is the "newest" version not as good as the one that it replaced. However, that said, I can't argue with many of your points about some of the shortcomings of the car, things that we might have done differently (HUD as an example). It's a big car, it drives big, and it's heavy. I love it still, but I get that it's not for everyone.

Whatever you do, best of luck to you. Thanks for sharing.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 2
      02-02-2022, 12:36 PM   #4
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Gaahhdam it
This is the review I was I dreading of reading one day from someone who views ///M in the same *correct* view as I do. ( that's gonna trigger some people I know it )

You just rugged all the excitement right from under me because I know exactly what you're saying.

I haven't had any seat time at all before I embarked on this $100,000 journey and now I'm wondering if it's a mistake because I've avoided this car for as long as I could have but it's come to a point where GT3 is $350k , Carrera 4S is 170K and so I'm out of options and went for the next best thing.

We were so spoiled by the LCI F8X's and it shows , you have the CS, I had GTS software on mine ( steering , sus , and transmission ) and they are just incredible cars albeit tuned.

The cars felt special , and dangerous all at the same time and that was part of the character , you just knew when you go out to drive , it was an event.
I'm glad there are others who understand this concept that the F8X provided.
It's too bad the G8X does not , but I'm hopeful in the future once the car is unlocked , BM3 will provide some sort of transmission tune to somewhat mimic DCT and we will have M3CS OR M4CSL steering & suspension coding to help improve the feel.
Appreciate 1
zcp31294.50
      02-02-2022, 12:49 PM   #5
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

I agree with everything you said and felt the same way when I drove the G80. That's what initially sold me on it though, as weird as that sounds. As it's not your daily, I completely understand your reservations about them now, but since it'll be my daily/only car, the added "luxury" it has over the F80 is also an appeal to me.

I do agree though that driving the F8X really is an "event". It's an entire experience. It's loud (I have MPE), uncomfortable at times (road trips aren't the best), noisy inside, jerky, bumpy, and it always feels like it's just on the edge of being out of control.....and then the DCT. Ugh, I love it so much. I drive in manual mode 100% of the time and will miss that transmission the most when it comes to getting rid of my F80. It really is just a great car. It doesn't do anything "perfect" per se, but it does so many things really great and puts a smile on my face every time I'm in the car. It's a mini-vacation every time you get behind the wheel, which makes the money they cost worth every penny.

That being said though, with the G8X I feel like BMW hit every checkbox they were going for with the way their ///M division has been going over the years. They wanted a car that was sporty, aggressive, but also had the luxury/tech of a luxury brand. I understand the argument from the die-hard enthusiasts that all of that goes against what the ///M brand stands for, but once BMW started producing more and more ///M models (especially the SUVs), the original idea was already dead.

As long as they keep making the CS/CSL models, and hopefully another GTS model for the true track enthusiasts, I think what they've done so far still works. I'll be curious to see how those more track-oriented models spec out though once they release them. I really hope they ditch a lot of the luxury and tech and make it a "true" ///M.
      02-02-2022, 12:57 PM   #6
Flying05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Agree with you on the HUD in M mode and the engine hood bump. The bump would not look right in the G80, but I did like it in my e92 though.

I got a manual for the main reason of driver engagement. Maybe you need to try that. I have been through too many cars lately including a 911 and a Panamera, both were PDKs. Nice cars, but the automatics left me wanting more. So that's why I now have my first manual in about 11 years. If this does not solve my car boredom, I'll just say screw it, sell it, and just drive my rubicon as a primary car.
      02-02-2022, 01:05 PM   #7
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Great write up! Since its not your daily and will be part of your stable, it sounds like the better choice is the CS. Reading your entire post, its clear that is what's preferred in your situation.

I never owned a CS so I can't compare. I had a regular ole F80 and there's not one thing I would rather have the F80 for over my G80 (ok, maybe one...the power dome on the F80 was great - really wish the G80 had it too!)

2 great cars! Good luck in whatever you decide.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 01:13 PM   #8
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Good review, thanks. Have you considered a 6MT?
hi, i did have a chance to drive the 6mt. I prefer the automated shifting for the type driving and needs that I have. It was very fun to be in a manual though.
      02-02-2022, 01:20 PM   #9
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK__LA View Post
Gaahhdam it
This is the review I was I dreading of reading one day from someone who views ///M in the same *correct* view as I do. ( that's gonna trigger some people I know it )

You just rugged all the excitement right from under me because I know exactly what you're saying.

I haven't had any seat time at all before I embarked on this $100,000 journey and now I'm wondering if it's a mistake because I've avoided this car for as long as I could have but it's come to a point where GT3 is $350k , Carrera 4S is 170K and so I'm out of options and went for the next best thing.

We were so spoiled by the LCI F8X's and it shows , you have the CS, I had GTS software on mine ( steering , sus , and transmission ) and they are just incredible cars albeit tuned.

The cars felt special , and dangerous all at the same time and that was part of the character , you just knew when you go out to drive , it was an event.
I'm glad there are others who understand this concept that the F8X provided.
It's too bad the G8X does not , but I'm hopeful in the future once the car is unlocked , BM3 will provide some sort of transmission tune to somewhat mimic DCT and we will have M3CS OR M4CSL steering & suspension coding to help improve the feel.
Yeah. I saw a post that 59% of G80 buyers were first time buyers. I totaally get it that without the reference, this would be an amazing car. it is for 90% of the stuff, but for me, that 10% is like 90% of the importance. When I'm having a shitty day, business sucks and stressful, I'll put the kids to sleep, hope on the highway at 9-10 pm and just drive. it's like mental therapy for me. At the time i'm so concetrated on the driving and thrill of it, that its like meditation and all else just clears the mind. The next morning, wifey looks better, kids are awesome, life is great and smile on my face the whole day. That's why I have the car and so the purpose is very much different than just driving to and from work, etc. When the engine is screaming at 7k rpm, i should say singing, everything else about the car just doesnt't really matter.
EricVR4603.50
GGG333601.50
      02-02-2022, 01:23 PM   #10
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
So, OP, have you cancelled the order?

@Night already asked, but I had the same question. My car is a manual transmission, not because it's slower, not because it's more hassle to drive in traffic, and not because it has less horsepower. Because it's more engaging to drive.

Everyone is different, which is why they make different cars. There's nothing wrong with preferring the F80. Many people (including me) have lamented every new edition of the M3 since the E30 (which honestly I had not driven, but I have driven 325is E30s and they are a blast) as being less: Less communicative, less of an M car, less, less, less albeit faster and more capable with every iteration. Me personally, I thought the E90 the worst of them all, and the E46 the best. I have not owned an F80 except for the F30 340i version which sucked in so many ways. I considered an F80 (F82?) M4 but it didn't tickle me, and the one I looked at (used) had issues with the CF roof so I passed, and shortly thereafter bought the G82. And for me, it is the exception; no longer is the "newest" version not as good as the one that it replaced. However, that said, I can't argue with many of your points about some of the shortcomings of the car, things that we might have done differently (HUD as an example). It's a big car, it drives big, and it's heavy. I love it still, but I get that it's not for everyone.

Whatever you do, best of luck to you. Thanks for sharing.
I haven't cancelled yet because it was just yesterday that I gave the G80 back, but that's the direction i'm leaning towards. I think I'm going to either wait for the LCI, hopefully, they improve it enough, or the CS. It seems to me from the M2CS, M3CS, and M5CS, "Cs" is the special sause that die hard fans are looking for that itch to be scratched.

I do feel like the CS should just be the comp level and come like that from the factory and not be a stupid $30k premium.

Last edited by wasya152; 02-02-2022 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 01:26 PM   #11
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

I think the LCI coming out in just around the same time as my G80 would be delivered sucks too.
      02-02-2022, 01:32 PM   #12
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=EricVR4;28542043]I agree with everything you said and felt the same way when I drove the G80. That's what initially sold me on it though, as weird as that sounds. As it's not your daily, I completely understand your reservations about them now, but since it'll be my daily/only car, the added "luxury" it has over the F80 is also an appeal to me.

If it was my daily, it's easy to see why the G80 is so amazing. I don't think you'll regret it a bit. it definetely is a better day to day car. More comfortable, more quite, and a beast when it comes to pure speed.
EricVR4603.50
      02-02-2022, 01:37 PM   #13
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Man! I currently own a CS and it was like you were reading my mind in regards to how much I love and enjoy the car. It has been a real dilemma for me but I decided to take the G80 plunge for a couple reasons. I think it will be a better daily yet still provide me the fun I need. Currently my family hates going anywhere in my CS so I am relegated to our SUV for any family activities (which there are many) but the G80 will be more compliant for both. Also, I don't want to buy an extended warranty and deal with an aging performance car.

I LOVE my CS but it is time to move on. I know at first I will miss her (esp the DCT) but I am sure over time I will grow to love my G80. Worst case scenario, if I hate it I can go find another CS. But I am pretty confident that as time passes, there will be tunes to give back that "feel" and/or more raw version of the G80 to be had. The car is still early in it's lifecycle and BMW is listening to us. There will be tweaks. Will it give us that CS feeling? No. But it will continue to get more and more special. Just look at what mess the F80 was at first. BMW listened and made tweaks to the platform and it finally became the CS perfection. Anyway, kind of a random rant here but I am looking forward to the unknown of the G80 for me and I am sure it will still be regarded as special.
      02-02-2022, 02:36 PM   #14
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
A well considered discussion.

I think the CS vs non-CS comparison embedded in the differences between these two cars could be a factor. I test drove a G80 and came away feeling it felt like a M Performance car dialled up a few more notches. I also felt the ZF8's lack of shift drama was a key factor. I also have a X4 M40 and the transmission in the G80 felt much closer to the X4 than my prior F80 DCT (not surprising as they both share the ZF8). Full disclosure, I don't drive the DCT in auto mode and agree with the assessment by many that the ZF8 is a much better auto shifter - so for any preferring to drive the G80 in auto mode the whole opinion above is irrelevant.

I appreciated btw you being clear that this is your view and not an objective set of conclusions. I take a similar approach. There are better drivers on this board who will disagree with me.

That said, I'm hoping the G80CS will sufficiently bridge the gap to what I liked about the prior M3 while still keeping everything else that is excellent about the G80 (and there is a lot to like).
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 05:14 PM   #15
Tanzanite2022
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4

I had a 19 M4CS and now have a 22 M4 Comp xdrive. The CS never felt secure in/after rain. I always felt like the car wanted to kill me no matter how I was driving it. I guess some people like that, I personally don't. I agree the DCT loss is pretty big, zf is great but the lack of drama is unfortunate. As far as comfort, it's not even a comparison. The CS looked cool but it was shit to drive for any period of time. I get that the lack of amenities was it's charm and gave it that "racer" edge feeling but they take away an arm rest and leave an automatic privacy rear window screen no one wants?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 08:51 PM   #16
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanzanite2022 View Post
I had a 19 M4CS and now have a 22 M4 Comp xdrive. The CS never felt secure in/after rain. I always felt like the car wanted to kill me no matter how I was driving it. I guess some people like that, I personally don't. I agree the DCT loss is pretty big, zf is great but the lack of drama is unfortunate. As far as comfort, it's not even a comparison. The CS looked cool but it was shit to drive for any period of time. I get that the lack of amenities was it's charm and gave it that "racer" edge feeling but they take away an arm rest and leave an automatic privacy rear window screen no one wants?
Yeah. I kinda agree about the window screen but am ok with the armrest missing. The f82 is a lot more stripped out than f80. At least I have regular door cards. For me, loosing the comfort access but keeping the shades made no sense. Having to take out the key every time I need to open or close the car is annoying.
Appreciate 1
MazzaBL114.00
      02-02-2022, 09:08 PM   #17
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

My heart wants to keep the CS, but i keep thinking I'm going to be missing out if I don't get the new one for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 09:12 PM   #18
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasya152 View Post
My heart wants to keep the CS, but i keep thinking I'm going to be missing out if I don't get the new one for some reason.
FOMO is a bitch but that's only because G8X is new but new isn't always better.
Appreciate 1
zcp31294.50
      02-03-2022, 12:40 AM   #19
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasya152 View Post
Just climb on in....

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 7
02M3ForMe4269.00
bri10426093.00
BardG212.50
akkando5869.00
s58548.00
      02-03-2022, 12:44 AM   #20
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Did you have a chance to play around with the Mdrive pro settings?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 02:11 AM   #21
MannyS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Spouse’s M4CX convertible

My spouse makes the same “missing” DCT driving feel comments about her G83 versus her previous 2020 F83. She loves the G83 power, handling and refinement, but she would pay extra for a DCT on her car if she could.

As for me, the missing DCT feel is not a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 02:35 AM   #22
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

I loved my CS and my G80 but the G82 Xdrive is next level speed and capability at least on the street. I Still like the looks of the G80 better than the G82 M4. I may do an individual color G80 xdrive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0