BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-26-2023, 12:02 AM   #23
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the input. I didn't understand the comment on fully loaded M3 vs Poverty Spec 911. Oddly Matt Watson have exact same comparison so I doubt he'd understand @[Nkr15] response either.

With work from home, my office commute is limited to one or twice a month. With kids we go out on the weekends often for dinner or another outing. For most times we do use the van and will continue to do so.

I'm not sure if I'm ever going to justify having just a 'weekend' car. At 4 and 7, I can stuff my kinds in the back - Actually went to try booster seat in a 911 and surprisingly it had space. My son at 4 loves car and having him in the back of 911 is definitely more joy.

I do have some reservations regarding an out of state purchase that exceeds $100K vs G80 M3 that I spec'd as is. But I think I have to do some more due diligence to figure this out.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2023, 12:08 AM   #24
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Porsche is a 3rd car

Your family would be happier in an M3.

Or you can take the Van

Or put 4 people in a 911 please post those pictures if it ever happens
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
DO4441410.50
      01-26-2023, 12:15 AM   #25
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Ok, I'm from WA too. I own a 2022 M4 Comp M xDrive, and one of my friends owns a 2020 911 (esentially the car you're getting just two model years down). I have a 1 yr old, he has a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old.

While I have an X5, I can just as easily take my M4 everywhere. "Manageable" is not what you pay $100K+ for. You want AWD, you may just not know it yet. I can accelerate in the rain like the asphalt was nearly dry. My friend's RWD 911 scares him when he pushes it in corners in the dry. Forget wet. With proper winter tires, I could take the M4 around in the snow easy. His 911 is parked for months on end in winter as the tires are not good at <45 degrees (they'll crack and fail later). Same story for M4 but I swap wheels/tires.

I don't feel like I'm having to make tough choices (lack of luggage capacity, interior space, etc.). He can never take his family in the 911 now. I can take my wife and son everywhere. The harshness of the 911 gets to him on longer drives (not to mention his family). No such issue in the M4.

I've spent about $140K on my M4. He's spent a little more than that on his 911. I think he's done 4000 miles in 2-3 years. I've done nearly 8000 in one year. I will lose more money in depreciation than him for sure just on M4 vs 911.

Smaller things: My 1-year service: $0 out of pocket. BMW Connected Drive: free for 4 years. His 1-yr service: $2000. Porsche's CD equivalent: $500 per year. These things add up. There's something clearly special about the 911 and for those who absolutely know they want that car, won't have the questions you're [...]
Perfect analogy! 3rd Car
Daily = F150 Platenum
Weekend/Family Car = M3/4
C&C/Canyon/HDPE= PCar
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      01-26-2023, 12:43 AM   #26
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Base SSG/Fiona

I just sold my 991.2 (2019 911 Carrera T) and purchased an M3.

For driving dynamics and engagement, I personally think the Porsche 992 base model is the better choice.

In my opinion, there are only 4 reasons you should get the M3 over a 992 base:

1. Comfortably fit 4 human beings (the back seats are a joke in the Porsche)
2. Reasonable cargo space
3. More comfort
4. AWD

Since you said you didn't care about fitting adults in the back, and didn't need AWD, that leaves cargo space and comfort.

I didn't find my Porsche "uncomfortable" per se. However, I find the M3 to be far more comfortable. The interior is more roomy, it's much easier to get in and out of on a daily basis, and has a more comfortable ride.

As for cargo space, it's obviously very limited in the Porsche.

If you have the van and are happy driving that whenever you need something more practical and roomy, then I would go with the Porsche.

If you want a sporty car that you can comfortably take the wife and kids on a road trip one week, then take it to the track the next, get the M3.

I should note that my wife didn't even like driving in the Porsche. She found it to be very high strung, and not at all relaxing, so she preferred to take our Model 3 when we went away.

Also, while the Porsche is $25K more, it might hold its value better, which would offset things. Especially since the BMW spec is really high, which will make depreciation as a % worse than what is typical.

Anyways, bottom line is that don't even think twice about the base model 992 disappointing you from a driving dynamics perspective. There will be a few outliers that say the M3 is better than the 992 base, but I think the vast majority of people will say the Porsche is the better driver's car.

So while I might come across as a big Porsche fan, keep in mind that this is coming from someone who just sold their Porsche for an M3, and someone who is REALLY excited about the M3.
Appreciate 3
      01-26-2023, 12:46 AM   #27
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
At 4 and 7, I can stuff my kinds in the back - Actually went to try booster seat in a 911 and surprisingly it had space. My son at 4 loves car and having him in the back of 911 is definitely more joy.
In a few short years, those same kids aren't going to be so happy back there. They grow fast.
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3399.00
DO4441410.50
      01-26-2023, 01:16 AM   #28
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
In a few short years, those same kids aren't going to be so happy back there. They grow fast.
Yeaa, can see that happening already.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 01:18 AM   #29
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just sold my 991.2 (2019 911 Carrera T) and purchased an M3.

For driving dynamics and engagement, I personally think the Porsche 992 base model is the better choice.

In my opinion, there are only 4 reasons you should get the M3 over a 992 base:

1. Comfortably fit 4 human beings (the back seats are a joke in the Porsche)
2. Reasonable cargo space
3. More comfort
4. AWD

Since you said you didn't care about fitting adults in the back, and didn't need AWD, that leaves cargo space and comfort.

I didn't find my Porsche "uncomfortable" per se. However, I find the M3 to be far more comfortable. The interior is more roomy, it's much easier to get in and out of on a daily basis, and has a more comfortable ride.

As for cargo space, it's obviously very limited in the Porsche.

If you have the van and are happy driving that whenever you need something more practical and roomy, then I would go with the Porsche.

If you want a sporty car that you can comfortably take the wife and kids on a road trip one week, then take it to the track the next, get the M3.

I should note that my wife didn't even like driving in the Porsche. She found it to be very high strung, and not at all relaxing, so she preferred to take our Model 3 when we went away.

Also, while the Porsche is $25K more, it might hold its value better, which would offset things. Especially since the BMW spec is really high, which will make depreciation as a % worse than what is typical.

Anyways, bottom line is that don't even think twice about the base model 992 disappointing you from a driving dynamics perspective. There will be a few outliers that say the M3 is better than the 992 base, but I think the vast majority of people will say the Porsche is the better driver's car.

So while I might come across as a big Porsche fan, keep in mind that this is coming from someone who just sold their Porsche for an M3, and someone who is REALLY excited about the M3.
Thanks this is very helpful.

Honestly I only started thinking about this recently on where M3 is specced and hitting $105,000. Porsche starts at $106,000. Based on how it's options it is sitting at about $130K. So whole it is 911 Base, it does have reasonable options that I'd like to pick.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 07:24 AM   #30
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

for sure a 911 is a better "investment" for a future resell price. I thought a lot on which one to choose....if the M3 or the 911.

First, consider the price. A highly spec'd M3 cost as a fairly decent 911....so the M3 would be more special (for the same price)

second, m3 is more practical....and to me, has a more badass look (for the same price to be specific).

Third, a Porsche is a great week end car, and a much better investment for the future, with no doubts.

In my case, just to let you have an idea, I kept my m140i as a daily, and th M3 is my week end sports car for the time being....and to be honest, mine has been tuned to 630hp.....and it always get a lot of compliments when i put it out the garage. But it will get old in few years....a Porsche 911 ages better, always.

But remember.....the M3 is a spectacular product, for the price....maybe is one of the best value for the money you can find today.

BMW G80 M3 Comp.xDrive 2022 + Jaguar F-Pace SVR v8 2022 + BMW F20 M140i RWD 2017
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 10:46 AM   #31
riano
Rep
Drives: M4

I got rid of my previous gen M4 for a 991.2 GTS and it was the worst car mistake I've ever made. I think 911s are probably the most overrated cars I've ever driven and caymans handle MUCH better. My 911 had a water pump failure at 8 days old and I was without it for about 8 days and that was the first of many issues with it. The general build quality was much inferior to BMW/Mercedes that I was used to and it felt like sitting in a tin can compared to the M4 or the AMG GTR that I changed it for. It understeered like a pig too and you basically heard none of the exhaust noises from inside the car unless you opened the windows or roof - I couldn't wait to get rid of it. It did have fantastic traction for a RWD car and I thought the interior looked great but that was about it.

I think the interiors of the new 911s are truly hideous and that the previous gen was much better. My neighbour has a new 911 S and it sounds significantly worse than my G82 comp and think the G series with full leather, carbon fibre and buckets is much more special looking than a current gen 911. I wouldn't swap my M4 for a 911 even if it was half the price never mind more money.
Appreciate 4
2011ninja3399.00
DM5PAV375.00
      01-26-2023, 01:59 PM   #32
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by riano View Post
I got rid of my previous gen M4 for a 991.2 GTS and it was the worst car mistake I've ever made. I think 911s are probably the most overrated cars I've ever driven and caymans handle MUCH better. My 911 had a water pump failure at 8 days old and I was without it for about 8 days and that was the first of many issues with it. The general build quality was much inferior to BMW/Mercedes that I was used to and it felt like sitting in a tin can compared to the M4 or the AMG GTR that I changed it for. It understeered like a pig too and you basically heard none of the exhaust noises from inside the car unless you opened the windows or roof - I couldn't wait to get rid of it. It did have fantastic traction for a RWD car and I thought the interior looked great but that was about it.

I think the interiors of the new 911s are truly hideous and that the previous gen was much better. My neighbour has a new 911 S and it sounds significantly worse than my G82 comp and think the G series with full leather, carbon fibre and buckets is much more special looking than a current gen 911. I wouldn't swap my M4 for a 911 even if it was half the price never mind more money.
How’s the AMG GTR?
Btw, I strongly agree with this post. I would add that the 991.2 feels more put together, special, and refined than the 992.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 06:10 PM   #33
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Thanks everyone, really appreciate the input. I didn't understand the comment on fully loaded M3 vs Poverty Spec 911. Oddly Matt Watson have exact same comparison so I doubt he'd understand @[Nkr15] response either.
Just because the media compares it doesn’t mean it’s a valid comparison. What I am saying is you are getting the base model of a car and comparing it to an M3 with every option checked. A base 911 doesn’t even come with a proper transmission let alone any of the tech features or carbon buckets the M3 has. Compare it to a GT3 or GT3RS or even a GTS not the base model and the price difference is double. A better comparison would be a cayman GT4 vs a M4 where they are fully loaded and the price difference isn’t so bad.
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      01-26-2023, 06:29 PM   #34
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
Just because the media compares it doesn’t mean it’s a valid comparison. What I am saying is you are getting the base model of a car and comparing it to an M3 with every option checked. A base 911 doesn’t even come with a proper transmission let alone any of the tech features or carbon buckets the M3 has. Compare it to a GT3 or GT3RS or even a GTS not the base model and the price difference is double. A better comparison would be a cayman GT4 vs a M4 where they are fully loaded and the price difference isn’t so bad.
I understand what you're saying. What does 'proper transmission' mean? I thought base 911 is equipped with same PDK as 911 TT, 911 4S? Am I mistaken?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 06:44 PM   #35
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80, Raptor, STI and C8

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Ok, I'm from WA too. I own a 2022 M4 Comp M xDrive, and one of my friends owns a 2020 911 (esentially the car you're getting just two model years down). I have a 1 yr old, he has a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old.

While I have an X5, I can just as easily take my M4 everywhere. "Manageable" is not what you pay $100K+ for. You want AWD, you may just not know it yet. I can accelerate in the rain like the asphalt was nearly dry. My friend's RWD 911 scares him when he pushes it in corners in the dry. Forget wet. With proper winter tires, I could take the M4 around in the snow easy. His 911 is parked for months on end in winter as the tires are not good at <45 degrees (they'll crack and fail later). Same story for M4 but I swap wheels/tires.

I don't feel like I'm having to make tough choices (lack of luggage capacity, interior space, etc.). He can never take his family in the 911 now. I can take my wife and son everywhere. The harshness of the 911 gets to him on longer drives (not to mention his family). No such issue in the M4.

I've spent about $140K on my M4. He's spent a little more than that on his 911. I think he's done 4000 miles in 2-3 years. I've done nearly 8000 in one year. I will lose more money in depreciation than him for sure just on M4 vs 911.

Smaller things: My 1-year service: $0 out of pocket. BMW Connected Drive: free for 4 years. His 1-yr service: $2000. Porsche's CD equivalent: $500 per year. These things add up. There's something clearly special about the 911 and for those who absolutely know they want that car, won't have the questions you're having (and I mean that nicely).

Get the Porsche if it's your third car and you have a more practical sporty car for day-to-day. Get the M3/M4, if it's you first or second car in the garage. Also, remember that a nicely specced 911 will cross $160K easy and you'll feel it in the car when you're missing options. If you go all out in an M3/M4, you won't feel the pinch as much.

Exceptions to all of this apply. Personal situations and preferences vary. Just sharing my educated view of things from first-hand experience.
If you enjoy road trips, M3 is hands down the choice. My 2021 G80 had 21K mile before I got my 2023 G80. Seldom did I have to worry about room. Better yet... drive it to the track, unload gear, drive the crap out of it, load gear up 3 days later and go home. Never going to get to do that without a trailer and tow truck in a 911.
Appreciate 3
DM5PAV375.00
kjx3203.00
      01-26-2023, 07:02 PM   #36
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM5PAV View Post
I thought a proper trans was a mt, seriously. Pdk is definitely more engaging than a zf. I’ve driven both, but they both suck compared to a mt imo, from an enjoyment viewpoint.

both base cars come with mt.
I thought base 911 does not come with a manual. I don’t want to be driving a car with no options, I’d rather go all out get my dream spec enjoy the car if I can afford it or not do it at all. I want full bucket race seats a 6speed and the height adjustable axle and sport exhaust and CCBs. With my M3 I know I got everything they could offer, I don’t have $200,000 so I didn’t get a 911. The 911 also requires 2 cars so you’re looking at like $200,000 + $40,000 for a model 3 or x3 or something.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 07:52 PM   #37
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Yea you are right.
They did do that. You gotta step up to the T for the manual right?

Forgot about that.
It sounds to me like you want the m3cx.
Nothing wrong with that. You’d have to up your budget by about $30-$40k to get a comparable Porsche with options.
I ordered a T, manual. It was $140k plus taxes and dealer fees - total $156k. The m3 was $87k plus tax, about $93k. That’s a $63k difference comparably spec’d, or 167% of the M3 price. Insane. Got my deposit back.
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      01-26-2023, 10:58 PM   #38
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hear you, and that’s a bit much on the ADM.
I wouldn’t pay that either and I agree the 911t is very difficult to find and you may not get one without doing so.

I haven’t looked all over the country, haven’t scoured the Earth, but I do agree with you. Not an easy car to source at a reasonable price.
156k for a low trim 911, every time I’d get in that car I would know deep down I’m too poor for the true 911 trim (GT3) so I wouldn’t be able to do it. With the M3/M4 you have the best manual BMW has to offer and everything offered at $110k.
Appreciate 2
DM5PAV375.00
adr_M3368.50
      01-26-2023, 11:15 PM   #39
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
156k for a low trim 911, every time I’d get in that car I would know deep down I’m too poor for the true 911 trim (GT3) so I wouldn’t be able to do it. With the M3/M4 you have the best manual BMW has to offer and everything offered at $110k.
Totally disagree, but different strokes for different folks. I’d be quite happy with a 992 base that was reasonably equipped. I’m assuming you haven’t driven one?

Anyways, GT3 in my opinion only makes sense if you are frequently tracking it. Otherwise, I think it’s a colossal waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 11:39 PM   #40
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
I don’t think base model Porsche’s are like that. Porsche doesn’t build any bad cars right now.

A base model Porsche sports car is not at all a let down in my experience. If you can afford a $110k 911, then you can afford a $150k 911 in a few years if those options are important to you.

Even better yet, wait for this craziness to pass (it will), and buy a 992 mt 911 in a few years with the options you want for “reasonable” cost.
So wait few years add $40,000

When you say reasonable you mean like

$160,000
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 11:41 PM   #41
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Im sure you have a lot of information here but you have to ask yourself, is this car for myself only or will I be taking my family on trips or errands on weekends. I got the M3 and eventhough its my weekend car, my kids (6 and 8) always insists on going in the M3 vs my X3. They love the fact that they r riding in an M3. You will have plenty of times with ur kids sports games and birthday parties where they would like u to take them in ur Porsche or M3 instead of ur van so keep that in mind. Also reg the leg room, my kids are on the smaller side and my 8 yr old already is asking to move my front passenger seat up in my M3 and it still hits his feet. I think the Porsche will def be a bad choice to take kids in the back seat esp on longer rides. If you can wait, I would rather lower ur specs on ur M3 to get around 90K and get the Porsche with as a pure adult fun car where u dont have to worry about carrying kids or taking ur family around.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 11:50 PM   #42
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Totally disagree, but different strokes for different folks. I’d be quite happy with a 992 base that was reasonably equipped. I’m assuming you haven’t driven one?

Anyways, GT3 in my opinion only makes sense if you are frequently tracking it. Otherwise, I think it’s a colossal waste of money.
I don’t think it’s a waste of money when you get a special engine and it retains value immensely, I mean for how much longer are we going to get this kind of stuff? The 911 is a track car if I want some luxury automatic I will buy something else there’s plenty to choose from. I want the true experience with the full buckets and track suspension and track focused gear ratios. The base won’t give you anywhere close to the true 911 experience and will always make you think “what if”
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 11:53 PM   #43
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don’t think base model Porsche’s are like that. Porsche doesn’t build any bad cars right now.

A base model Porsche sports car is not at all a let down in my experience. If you can afford a $110k 911, then you can afford a $150k 911 in a few years if those options are important to you.

Even better yet, wait for this craziness to pass (it will), and buy a 992 mt 911 in a few years with the options you want for “reasonable” cost.
I agree, that’s why I’m saying buy a loaded M3 then save your money for 3-5 years and buy a GT3 to your exact spec instead of a stripper 911. I looked at used GTS’s and a lot of them were leases with cigar stains and cracked leather seats, no thanks I’ll take my new car straight to the detailers.
Appreciate 1
DM5PAV375.00
      01-27-2023, 04:00 AM   #44
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I think my thread got hijacked lol.
Appreciate 0