BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

07-19-2023, 03:28 PM   #23
Kinleyg
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition Xdrive

I have a scratch on my front camera lens from touching a concrete wall with it (yes I'm super embarrassed was right after getting the car) and it definitely looks like crap in the surround view. But other than that I haven't had any ill effects from it being like that. I was trying t figure out if I could just replace the cover on the lens or possibly buff it out?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 03:34 PM   #24
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
OP may not be able to afford to own this car.

Wait until he finds out how much tires cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 03:44 PM   #25
m3atyg80x
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
OP may not be able to afford to own this car.

Wait until he finds out how much tires cost.
Sure, I like to get hands-on with my BMW. That's the difference between treating a car like a luxury and understanding it as an engineering marvel. Besides, working on it doesn't mean I can't afford it; it just means I appreciate it more than just a status symbol
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 03:48 PM   #26
m3atyg80x
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregM4 View Post
Completely agree. If you own one of these cars then a $1k hickup is small.

A few bottles of great wine. Get it done at BMW and you will forget this ever happened.
I may have done the opposite and dumped some money into a Ti catback lol. It was well worth it though
Appreciate 1
GregM41317.00
      07-19-2023, 04:58 PM   #27
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3atyg80x View Post
Sure, I like to get hands-on with my BMW. That's the difference between treating a car like a luxury and understanding it as an engineering marvel. Besides, working on it doesn't mean I can't afford it; it just means I appreciate it more than just a status symbol
We're talking about a low resolution bumper camera with a cracked plastic lens here.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 05:31 PM   #28
m3atyg80x
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
We're talking about a low resolution bumper camera with a cracked plastic lens here.
That's my point. The camera is just a plastic module with a glass lens at the end of the day and I'm not going to go and buy a brand new one when there is someone already parting out their broke g80 lol. I'd rather buy something that is more useful than a front camera that I barely use and it also gives me the opportunity to add on other parts while the bumper is off.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 03:15 PM   #29
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Happened to me a few months ago with a parking sensor. Likely from the track. Paid BMW just over $1k to replace. Sucks but it is what it is. Too much hassle to half ass it by myself.
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      07-22-2023, 06:10 PM   #30
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
That's my point. The camera is just a plastic module with a glass lens at the end of the day and I'm not going to go and buy a brand new one when there is someone already parting out their broke g80 lol. I'd rather buy something that is more useful than a front camera that I barely use and it also gives me the opportunity to add on other parts while the bumper is off.
Your time is apparently worth less than mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 08:40 PM   #31
m3atyg80x
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
Your time is apparently worth less than mine.
Because I have the time and money to enjoy the things I want to do? LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 09:42 PM   #32
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Because I have the time and money to enjoy the things I want to do? LOL
No, because it’s such a small amount of money to just let someone else do it right and OEM.

But hey, if you live for digging through your bumper and dealing with eBay, have at it brother. I guess I never considered that someone would actively desire to do that.

The difference is a couple hundred bucks to let BMW do it, but again if that’s your passion I guess I understand, but if you got all that money I don’t know why you wouldn’t use BMW’s part instead of eBay.

I don’t really care, man.
It was an off the cuff comment to say that I think you’re spinning your wheels on this one, just let them do it.

Whatever gets you through the night.

Might wanna change your thread title to luckiest guy in the world though, since you’re so fortunate to get to do what you love. I mean what are the chances that rock would crack your camera and now you get to go on eBay on a hunt for something and then spend a few hours tearing apart your bumper and putting it back together!

If it doesn’t work out because you used an eBay part you better come back and let us now how lucky you are. You’ll be getting to spend even more of your time and money the way you love!

Lucky you!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 10:17 PM   #33
m3atyg80x
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No, because it’s such a small amount of money to just let someone else do it right and OEM.

But hey, if you live for digging through your bumper and dealing with eBay, have at it brother. I guess I never considered that someone would actively desire to do that.

The difference is a couple hundred bucks to let BMW do it, but again if that’s your passion I guess I understand, but if you got all that money I don’t know why you wouldn’t use BMW’s part instead of eBay.

I don’t really care, man.
It was an off the cuff comment to say that I think you’re spinning your wheels on this one, just let them do it.

Whatever gets you through the night.

Might wanna change your thread title to luckiest guy in the world though, since you’re so fortunate to get to do what you love. I mean what are the chances that rock would crack your camera and now you get to go on eBay on a hunt for something and then spend a few hours tearing apart your bumper and putting it back together!

If it doesn’t work out because you used an eBay part you better come back and let us now how lucky you are. You’ll be getting to spend even more of your time and money the way you love!

Lucky you!
Relax man it's not that serious lol. I'm just taking a poke at you but I originally asked if there was a difference between the two. I obviously didn't go with Ebay and went OEM and everything worked out perfectly. I have a full-size lift in my garage and the bumper was stupid easy to remove with the two wheels off. But you're right, took around an hour and a half....
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      08-05-2023, 10:22 PM   #34
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Relax man it's not that serious lol. I'm just taking a poke at you but I originally asked if there was a difference between the two. I obviously didn't go with Ebay and went OEM and everything worked out perfectly. I have a full-size lift in my garage and the bumper was stupid easy to remove with the two wheels off. But you're right, took around an hour and a half....

Hope it goes nice and smooth!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 10:30 PM   #35
m3atyg80x
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Hope it goes nice and smooth!
It was good man. I just hope nobody gets my kind of luck with that.
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      08-06-2023, 07:18 PM   #36
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
It was good man. I just hope nobody gets my kind of luck with that.
So full surround view worked with no recalibration?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 07:48 PM   #37
spridge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

I replaced my front camera with the OEM part for just over $200. Google the BMW part number. They are out there for decent prices. This is a common camera across many BMW models. Unplugged the old, installed the new, didn’t bother to tell anybody that I was worried about it not working correctly without a dealer’s help.

Crazy thing - it works just like the original, with no calibration. 360 looks just like it did with the original camera, and the front view is perfect too, without the crack in the lens now.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6606.00
      08-06-2023, 11:29 PM   #38
m3atyg80x
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
So full surround view worked with no recalibration?
No recalibration was required. It may be the case for folks who install the surround camera on your fold-out mirrors but you can easily download ista+ and recalibrate it yourself. It's a one-click recalibration function and 10 min of driving around slowly to have it adjust itself.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6606.00
      08-06-2023, 11:34 PM   #39
m3atyg80x
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spridge View Post
I replaced my front camera with the OEM part for just over $200. Google the BMW part number. They are out there for decent prices. This is a common camera across many BMW models. Unplugged the old, installed the new, didn’t bother to tell anybody that I was worried about it not working correctly without a dealer’s help.

Crazy thing - it works just like the original, with no calibration. 360 looks just like it did with the original camera, and the front view is perfect too, without the crack in the lens now.
I agree. It was super simple once the bumper is off. That little bosch camera is common across many models with the parking assist package
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 08:01 AM   #40
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No recalibration was required. It may be the case for folks who install the surround camera on your fold-out mirrors but you can easily download ista+ and recalibrate it yourself. It's a one-click recalibration function and 10 min of driving around slowly to have it adjust itself.
I asked this because on my wife's Cayenne, which I think I posted above, we tried just swapping the camera. The image showed, but the stitched "fake drone view" from overhead was off. There was a significant offset between the front and two side cameras and it required recalibration with targets, etc.

yet another reason Porsches are more expensive to maintain...they don't do electronics for sh!t.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 01:45 PM   #41
m3atyg80x
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I asked this because on my wife's Cayenne, which I think I posted above, we tried just swapping the camera. The image showed, but the stitched "fake drone view" from overhead was off. There was a significant offset between the front and two side cameras and it required recalibration with targets, etc.

yet another reason Porsches are more expensive to maintain...they don't do electronics for sh!t.
The only thing I can think of that can cause that is maybe installing the part slightly off which could affect the outcome of the entire image. I was reading a few forums with folks who had misaligned fold-out mirrors after replacement and the steps to correct it according to the manual was to reposition the camera and use the ista+ software ($30) and use the one-click function to calibrate and let it do its thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 08:12 PM   #42
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5031425 View Post
I wonder if $0 glass on your insurance would cover?
Not everyone has $0 glass.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 10:48 AM   #43
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5031425 View Post
It's supposed to be a joke but a bad one I guess
Yeah. I thought $0 glass was a universal thing...turns out I just happened to be lucky where I lived. Then I moved to TX, "road debris capital of the US". If i were an insurer I wouldn't cover glass here at all, deductible or not.
Appreciate 0