BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-18-2022, 09:20 AM   #23
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Bimmercode B&W Tweak

Question on the B&W coding: Does it simply add more granular EQ adjustment options? Or, does it offer software upgrades which enhance the signal being delivered to the speakers?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 04:36 PM   #24
santox
Ing.
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp G82 xDrive

The main problem with the sound quality is after the idrive 7 and Ram units . I've owned a 7 series 2016 with B&W and the sound quality was awesome (idrive 6) . After that i bought a '20 pre-lci M5 with idrive 7 also with B&W and it sounded mehh .. After i've sold the M5 , i have bought a 17' G30 with Bowers and it sounded like my previous 7 Series . And now i am waiting for the G82 without any real expectations . The problem is the RAM which is the same for both HK and B&W . You can do whatever adjustments you want , it's just an average sound quality for premium price .
      02-18-2022, 08:54 PM   #25
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by santox View Post
The main problem with the sound quality is after the idrive 7 and Ram units . I've owned a 7 series 2016 with B&W and the sound quality was awesome (idrive 6) . After that i bought a '20 pre-lci M5 with idrive 7 also with B&W and it sounded mehh .. After i've sold the M5 , i have bought a 17' G30 with Bowers and it sounded like my previous 7 Series . And now i am waiting for the G82 without any real expectations . The problem is the RAM which is the same for both HK and B&W . You can do whatever adjustments you want , it's just an average sound quality for premium price .
Interesting, I have a 2019 M550, it the best sound of any BMW I've had hands down. All I can hope is the G80 system is tolerable 🤞
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 05:20 AM   #26
Daily_drivX5M
Certified
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW F95 X5 M competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
Question on the B&W coding: Does it simply add more granular EQ adjustment options? Or, does it offer software upgrades which enhance the signal being delivered to the speakers?
I'm curious to know the same.
      02-19-2022, 10:29 AM   #27
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
The coding changes the DSP profile - sound curve, timing delay, surround algorithm- of the output signal.

Understand that coding the HK(688) system to output B&W(6F1) forces the HK RAM and booster semi-passive 7ch system to mimic the B&W RAM and booster full-active 16ch system, which technically results in something less than intended by design. If you like how the HK sound after coding then, good for you. However it is still less than how is supposed to sound.
Appreciate 5
BIGW0RM3156.00
BardG212.50
M4Tejas788.00
playswcars3633.50
      02-19-2022, 10:39 AM   #28
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The coding changes the DSP profile - sound curve, timing delay, surround algorithm- of the output signal.

Understand that coding the HK(688) system to output B&W(6F1) forces the HK RAM and booster semi-passive 7ch system to mimic the B&W RAM and booster full-active 16ch system, which technically results in something less than intended by design. If you like how the HK sound after coding then, good for you. However it is still less than how is supposed to sound.
The master has spoken!

Its nice to see you back Technic! Its been what? 7 YEARS?
      02-19-2022, 01:15 PM   #29
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Excellent information, thank you! You clearly have a much deeper understanding of these systems than I do. With my limited knowledge, it strikes me that forcing 7ch to 16ch may be a stretch and result in unintended consequences. (Such as lower volume than should be from the rear speakers as some have reported) Hmmmmm🤔
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 01:59 PM   #30
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Excellent information, thank you! You clearly have a much deeper understanding of these systems than I do. With my limited knowledge, it strikes me that forcing 7ch to 16ch may be a stretch and result in unintended consequences. (Such as lower volume than should be from the rear speakers as some have reported) Hmmmmm🤔
Rear speaker volume is dependent of having Surround enable/disabled in the Tone menu of the iDrive. Rear speaker will only play sounds decoded as surround, whenever it comes, and nothing else. Most of the audio will come from the front stage in a surround system. So disabling Surround means that all speakers will sound all audio at all time at whatever volume you set.

Doing the B&W coding in the HK changes what the Surround algorithm is doing with the rear speakers, and imposing the volume level of a 1200W system to a 464W system at the same time.
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2022, 03:05 PM   #31
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Rear speaker volume is dependent of having Surround enable/disabled in the Tone menu of the iDrive. Rear speaker will only play sounds decoded as surround, whenever it comes, and nothing else. Most of the audio will come from the front stage in a surround system. So disabling Surround means that all speakers will sound all audio at all time at whatever volume you set.

Doing the B&W coding in the HK changes what the Surround algorithm is doing with the rear speakers, and imposing the volume level of a 1200W system to a 464W system at the same time.
Wow, I m learning a lot, thank you! I won't actually hear the G80 HK sound until my Mid-March build is delivered, I won't make any decisions until then. That said, coming from a M550 B&W system prompted my questions.

If I'm unhappy with the performance of HK, I'd be hesitant to upgrade components as I'm quite sure I'll be leasing the car. Therefore my interest in the potential of a "software" driven improvement.

Reading the comments, I can't discern if the coding tweak is a good idea. At the end of the day, would you recommend the coding change to the system?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 07:16 AM   #32
zioziozio
Private
Rep
Drives: m550i

I just need more bass.

My previous Burmester (benz) and current Bose (gmc) systems are light years ahead of the HK in the M3.

What do you recommend? The best system I have ever heard was my old Lexus LS460L with the ML 19 speaker system. It was amazing!
Appreciate 2
      03-11-2022, 01:49 PM   #33
dionisk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 M3 xDrive Comp - Dravit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
What you are missing is the same as having an M340i and then upgrading to an M3 - you may be very happy with the M340i, but the M3 will make you happier.
I recently upgraded from a g20 m340i to a g80 m3. The only complaint I have is that the sound system in this m3 is much worse than the m340i. My wife has a base audio system in her '20 x3 and I put this m3 sound system somewhere in-between the x3 and m340i.

Certain songs/music sounds fine, and the lows and highs are decent enough, but it seems like there's a lack of clarity in the mids and mid lows. Id say I'm an amateur audiophile (Atmos soundbar set up in living room, $100 Sennheisers for desktop pc) so i don't think I'm that picky, but these speakers are disappointing in this level of car.
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      03-11-2022, 10:32 PM   #34
M4Tejas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G82 M4xDrive

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioziozio View Post
I just need more bass.

My previous Burmester (benz) and current Bose (gmc) systems are light years ahead of the HK in the M3.

What do you recommend? The best system I have ever heard was my old Lexus LS460L with the ML 19 speaker system. It was amazing!
My dads Lexus with Mark Levinson is awesome.

2022 M4 Comp xDrive Aventurin Red Metallic
https://wieninger.de/ Seit 1666
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 10:33 PM   #35
M4Tejas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G82 M4xDrive

Talking

Quote:
I just need more bass.

My dads Lexus with Mark Levinson is awesome. My 2019 Audi, B&O and blows this away hands down.

2022 M4 Comp xDrive Aventurin Red Metallic
https://wieninger.de/ Seit 1666
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 06:01 PM   #36
zioziozio
Private
Rep
Drives: m550i

Just coded the B&W settings into the car and the bass definitely sounds different. Not sure if it sounds very improved, just different.

Will upgrading to the bavsound under seat subwoofers make a noticeable improvement?
Appreciate 2
      03-12-2022, 08:13 PM   #37
rgrovr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

Quote:
Just coded the B&W settings into the car and the bass definitely sounds different. Not sure if it sounds very improved, just different.

Will upgrading to the bavsound under seat subwoofers make a noticeable improvement?
Yes. They are simple mods to DIY. The sound will be much more full, tighter bass and midrange but only at mid to high volumes. Short of going custom, its about as good as you can get to improve the OEM system.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 11:34 AM   #38
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:

Id like to know this too. While I am happy enough with the stereo, I wouldn't mind a little more bass.

I did the bav sound speaker upgrade in my F10 M5. And while it sounded much better. I had to CRANK the volume much much more to get the same level sound that stock would put out. While it sounded good, it kind of bothered me that I had to raise the volume so much higher to get sound out of the speakers.
      03-17-2022, 07:36 AM   #39
androidtopp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Focus ST, 2022 M3Cx

Garage List
2013 Ford Focus  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
rgrovr how was the install on the bavsound subwoofers? I see some references to seat removal (makes me worried about creaks post reinstall) and drilling (I don't trust myself to drill my expensive new BMW) but other parts of their website say I *don't* have to remove the seats, etc.

I wholeheartedly agree that the audio in the G8x is lacking - my Focus and its "Sony" audio is much better to my ears, and that's a searing indictment. I'm not chasing brown note levels of bass, but a sub upgrade to make things sound a little fuller, especially if bavsound's claims are correct and they bleed in to the mid range a little bit...well, that's really interesting to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 10:34 AM   #40
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidtopp View Post
rgrovr how was the install on the bavsound subwoofers? I see some references to seat removal (makes me worried about creaks post reinstall) and drilling (I don't trust myself to drill my expensive new BMW) but other parts of their website say I *don't* have to remove the seats, etc.

I wholeheartedly agree that the audio in the G8x is lacking - my Focus and its "Sony" audio is much better to my ears, and that's a searing indictment. I'm not chasing brown note levels of bass, but a sub upgrade to make things sound a little fuller, especially if bavsound's claims are correct and they bleed in to the mid range a little bit...well, that's really interesting to me.
I did the subs in my F10 M5 years ago and all I had to do was unbolt 4 bolts that hold the seat down. Its nothing to worry about. You just tighten them down good and no creaks. Its metal to metal bolted down.

I dont know anything about drilling anything either. I heard the new G80 subs are glued/double side taped into place. I think thats where the heat gun part comes in. Ive also heard someone else here or on you tube mention that theirs just peeled out without needing the heat gun.

I would not be too worried about this install. You can totally do this!
      03-17-2022, 10:40 AM   #41
androidtopp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Focus ST, 2022 M3Cx

Garage List
2013 Ford Focus  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
I did the subs in my F10 M5 years ago and all I had to do was unbolt 4 bolts that hold the seat down. Its nothing to worry about. You just tighten them down good and no creaks. Its metal to metal bolted down.

I dont know anything about drilling anything either. I heard the new G80 subs are glued/double side taped into place. I think thats where the heat gun part comes in. Ive also heard someone else here or on you tube mention that theirs just peeled out without needing the heat gun.

Haha, thanks! I honestly have no doubt I can do this, I'm pretty handy (as are most on this type of forum, I suspect) and I have plenty of good tools at my disposal. But it's one thing for me to climb inside the center console of my Focus (which totally did creak in the aftermath of me replacing something in there, and I can't manage to get it fixed and it drives me INSANE, but that could be because Focus) and another to unbolt the seats from my new BMW, haha. So just a bit nervous there. But good to know the process is at least simple.

(I could also just watch the install video...but I'm "at work" (hah!) right now.)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 01:53 PM   #42
spridge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by androidtopp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post

Haha, thanks! I honestly have no doubt I can do this, I'm pretty handy (as are most on this type of forum, I suspect) and I have plenty of good tools at my disposal. But it's one thing for me to climb inside the center console of my Focus (which totally did creak in the aftermath of me replacing something in there, and I can't manage to get it fixed and it drives me INSANE, but that could be because Focus) and another to unbolt the seats from my new BMW, haha. So just a bit nervous there. But good to know the process is at least simple.

(I could also just watch the install video...but I'm "at work" (hah!) right now.)
I did the Bavsound underseat woofer replacement on my G80 several months ago. No heat gun or drilling needed. Literally took less than 30 minutes total. You don't even have to remove the seats. Just unbolt them and tip them back. Don't worry about creating squeaks or rattles either - once you see how the seats are fastened to the rails, you'll see why that isn't a concern.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2022, 02:04 PM   #43
spridge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

OEM (left) / Bavsound (right)
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      03-17-2022, 02:13 PM   #44
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by spridge View Post
OEM (left) / Bavsound (right)
Could you give us a before & after feedback on the USW replacement?
I've had mine replaced on the F87 but I replaced all components along with a DSP at the same time, so I can't comment on the difference on them alone.

My gut tells me it'll require more power to tell any noticeable improvements.
Appreciate 1
vitipr171.00