BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-07-2023, 11:16 AM   #89
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
I’m about to takle this today. My only concern is the 20 Amp fuse. With the size of the wires I would think they would melt before tripping a 20A fuse. Can I just use a 5 A fuse in the top slot?

***45 minutes in and the rear camera is on as is the front. Rear camera plugged into main camera and hardwire kit all the way to the fuse box. All wires are hidden****
Personally I wouldn't mix fuses on the same connection. If you have a multi-meter you can search for an alternate fuse that is always on.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 12:34 PM   #90
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
Personally I wouldn't mix fuses on the same connection. If you have a multi-meter you can search for an alternate fuse that is always on.
You're not mixing it on the same connection, you're splitting that one connection out to two different circuits. The 5A and 20A fuses are not in line in either one.
Appreciate 1
Mike02z1977.50
      10-07-2023, 01:30 PM   #91
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
This ^^^. It’s a separate circuit that runs to the camera. I used a 20A on bottom and 5A on top. Works fine.

Took my time so took me 90 minutes in total. I’m old and fat so someone in better shape could probably do the whole job in 45 minutes. The app is a bit clunky and keeps disconnecting but the cameras look good and I’m sure both are working.

Getting in and out of the back of my G82 is a total nightmare. Glad I don’t go back there much.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 11:21 AM   #92
ap2x
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240xi

I’ve been getting this message every time I get in the car for a while now after installing my dashcam. Anybody have an idea why? I followed the steps on this thread
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 11:42 AM   #93
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap2x View Post
I’ve been getting this message every time I get in the car for a while now after installing my dashcam. Anybody have an idea why? I followed the steps on this thread
Which camera did you install? Did you enable parking mode?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 12:59 PM   #94
ap2x
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
Which camera did you install? Did you enable parking mode?
BlackVue DR900X plus. Yes parking mode on
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 01:58 PM   #95
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You're getting this error because the car is detecting something is draining the battery over an extended period of time. It doesnt mean the battery is critically low since the camera will detect that on its own and shut off if it's configured for that.

I was getting this message too and I installed an on/off switch, so when the car is parked in the garage I turn the camera off fully. I hid the switch in the glove compartment so no one will know (ex dealer).
Appreciate 2
forcefed2562.50
ap2x21.00
      11-19-2023, 02:45 PM   #96
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
I was getting the same message. I just turned off parking mode when I park in my garage. When I leave my car in a lot I just toggle parking mode on. The message will then pop up when I get back in the car but it’s nothing to worry about. I don’t want it recording in my garage anyway.
Appreciate 1
ap2x21.00
      11-20-2023, 07:29 AM   #97
Defragster
Rep
Drives: BMW m3 xdrive 2022

Quote:
org post
No idea if anyone mentioned that in any of 6 pages before, but your 'build' is literally how you kill your passanger in case of a crash.

You cant shove the cable into A pillar, you have to pop it off and route the cable BEHIND the passanger side airbag.

The way you did it, shoving the cable into the gap in A pillar , literally puts the entire wiring above the side airbag which will result in tragedy in case its triggered - either it wont work at all and will be blocked or it will cause extra dmg.

check this out:
https://prnt.sc/HQoFcpaU5pGR
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 09:26 AM   #98
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defragster View Post
No idea if anyone mentioned that in any of 6 pages before, but your 'build' is literally how you kill your passanger in case of a crash.

You cant shove the cable into A pillar, you have to pop it off and route the cable BEHIND the passanger side airbag.

The way you did it, shoving the cable into the gap in A pillar , literally puts the entire wiring above the side airbag which will result in tragedy in case its triggered - either it wont work at all and will be blocked or it will cause extra dmg.

check this out:
https://prnt.sc/HQoFcpaU5pGR
I think you're greatly underestimating the power of an explosive deploying airbag.

There's absolutely zero chance a single rubber USB wire across a tiny section of that airbag is going to impede it deploying in any way.
Appreciate 4
OtoPA383.50
iviegatron2542.00
forcefed2562.50
      11-20-2023, 10:04 AM   #99
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
I think you're greatly underestimating the power of an explosive deploying airbag.

There's absolutely zero chance a single rubber USB wire across a tiny section of that airbag is going to impede it deploying in any way.
Too add to that. There is enough slack in the cable that won't hold the airbag down from deploying.
Appreciate 1
OtoPA383.50
      11-20-2023, 11:08 AM   #100
OtoPA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 F150, 23 M4, JD3038E

Quote:
You're getting this error because the car is detecting something is draining the battery over an extended period of time. It doesnt mean the battery is critically low since the camera will detect that on its own and shut off if it's configured for that.

I was getting this message too and I installed an on/off switch, so when the car is parked in the garage I turn the camera off fully. I hid the switch in the glove compartment so no one will know (ex dealer).
I was getting this too, as sometimes I don't drive the M4 for a day or two. I used the camera software to shut down after 6-8hrs in Park mode, as I'm rarely not garaged (retired). Battery warnings quit. My other option was to use a battery pack, but my needs may vary from others.

Last edited by OtoPA; 11-20-2023 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: adding
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 11:27 AM   #101
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Probably better safe then sorry so I’ll remove the A pillar and route it the correctly but as someone else said, I doubt those 2 thin cables would impact an airbag deploy. I really don’t want to take a chance on killing my wife as small as the probability is.

I did try and pop the plastic airbag label but it would not just pop off. Maybe I’m not doing it right but used a trim tool and it was not budging.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 11:29 AM   #102
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
Probably better safe then sorry so I’ll remove the A pillar and route it the correctly but as someone else said, I doubt those 2 thin cables would impact an airbag deploy. I really don’t want to take a chance on killing my wife as small as the probability is.

I did try and pop the plastic airbag label but it would not just pop off. Maybe I’m not doing it right but used a trim tool and it was not budging.
I believe there is a screw behind that airbag label. There are videos out on YouTube that shows how to remove it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 11:38 AM   #103
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
I believe there is a screw behind that airbag label. There are videos out on YouTube that shows how to remove it.
Thanks. I should know better. LOL!

https://youtu.be/jqULAXnvMk4?si=IMx99ZLrp9kH5iqy
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 11:53 AM   #104
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Curious how it's done on a convertible, though. The microphones are there instead of that "airbag" trim piece, so there's at least a couple wires behind there. I wonder if it just pops off the same.

Edit: my assumption was correct. The speaker pops off with a pry tool the same way, from the rear side at an angle. There's that same Torx screw behind it, then pillar can pull right off.

I'm not concerned since there's no airbags in the A-pillar on a vert anyway.

Last edited by Berzerker; 11-20-2023 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 04:39 PM   #105
Defragster
Rep

Quote:
Too add to that. There is enough slack in the cable that won't hold the airbag down from deploying.
i dont undersestimate the airbag at all, and thas entire point.

airbags are designed to unload the force in specific direction/way, if there is a cable in the way the power might get diversed another way.

AND IF IT DOESNT- if it doesnt block airbag deployment in any way - if there is a cable being routed behind pillars and in front of airbag, what do you think will happen with all the parts connected by the cable? they will go flying, being ripped off with a power of a granade.

Pretty sure a flying camera (or other parts like pillars or mirror) of that size can cause enough dmg to eyes/head to cause more then serioues dmg.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 04:41 PM   #106
Defragster
Rep

Quote:

airbags are designed to unload the force in specific direction/way, if there is a cable in the way the power might get diversed another way. But thats very unlikely due to force of deployment. However.

If it doesnt block airbag deployment in any way (which is more probable matter, as airbags can break bones in legs if someone keeps them on the dash during accident - they have enough force), just IMAGINE if there is a cable with camera attached and cords being routed behind pillars and in front of airbag, what do you think will happen with all the parts connected by the cable? they will go flying like bullets, being ripped off with a power of a granade. Believe me, a windshield mount on tape will give way faster then a cable.
Imagine this
and cable in front, literally will pull everything its connected to and sent stuff flying.

Pretty sure a flying camera (or other parts like pillar parts or mirror) of that size can cause enough dmg to eyes/head to cause more then serioues dmg.

There is literally zero reason to not take this into cosideration, especially this takes less then minute to route behind the airbag.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 09:04 PM   #107
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defragster View Post

airbags are designed to unload the force in specific direction/way, if there is a cable in the way the power might get diversed another way. But thats very unlikely due to force of deployment. However.

If it doesnt block airbag deployment in any way (which is more probable matter, as airbags can break bones in legs if someone keeps them on the dash during accident - they have enough force), just IMAGINE if there is a cable with camera attached and cords being routed behind pillars and in front of airbag, what do you think will happen with all the parts connected by the cable? they will go flying like bullets, being ripped off with a power of a granade. Believe me, a windshield mount on tape will give way faster then a cable.
Imagine this
and cable in front, literally will pull everything its connected to and sent stuff flying.

Pretty sure a flying camera (or other parts like pillar parts or mirror) of that size can cause enough dmg to eyes/head to cause more then serioues dmg.

There is literally zero reason to not take this into cosideration, especially this takes less then minute to route behind the airbag.
My camera is adhesive attached to the windshield. The connector is going to rip out of the socket way faster than the camera is going to fly off the windshield.
Appreciate 1
iviegatron2542.00
      12-07-2023, 08:35 PM   #108
firemanept
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp/G82

A little late to the party but I made it, thank you so much for this help with hardwiring a dash cam! I've been scouring the internet for 2 days and found exactly what I need on this thread. Thanks to everyone.
Appreciate 1
iviegatron2542.00
      12-14-2023, 03:22 PM   #109
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Has anyone followed this method with a 2023-2024 iDrive 8.5 or 9 (meaning the dual tablet screens) car hard wired a dashcam? I have a G87 M2, and the master tech at the dealership was hesitant about wiring the camera directly due to changes to the electrical systems in these brand new cars that they're not familiar with, even though the fuse boxes are there.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 03:27 PM   #110
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
Has anyone followed this method with a 2023-2024 iDrive 8.5 or 9 (meaning the dual tablet screens) car hard wired a dashcam? I have a G87 M2, and the master tech at the dealership was hesitant about wiring the camera directly due to changes to the electrical systems in these brand new cars that they're not familiar with, even though the fuse boxes are there.
I've done this on a 2023 M3 with idrive 8 and its the same procedure. Soon to do it on a 2024 M3 once I get it.
Appreciate 0