BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums AUSTRALIA

02-04-2024, 03:51 AM   #1
ronronson
Rep
Drives: 2021 g80 M3 comp

Louder exhaust

Hey. Complete noob soz. What do I need to install to make my g80 sound better? A full exhaust , a down pipe? Both. I have no idea. I’m not a big car person, but I just want it to sound a tougher. What I gotta install? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 06:52 AM   #2
dini_g80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW M3 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronronson View Post
Hey. Complete noob soz. What do I need to install to make my g80 sound better? A full exhaust , a down pipe? Both. I have no idea. I’m not a big car person, but I just want it to sound a tougher. What I gotta install? Thanks in advance
Down pipe would void your warranty but if you don’t care about that, go for it, it would surely make the G80 sound better.

My recommendation would be getting a mid pipe and a valve controller.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 06:56 AM   #3
Tobster3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 6MT

MAD Midpipe and SST Valve Controller.

You can search for these and get more info on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 08:11 AM   #4
yeetyeet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
2024 M3 Comp X-Drive  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5  [9.75]
Another plus one for midpipe and valve controller. I went with Active Autowerke single mid, and SST valve controller. Competely awakens the car
      02-04-2024, 01:39 PM   #5
Rh6363
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Soon to be bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeetyeet View Post
Another plus one for midpipe and valve controller. I went with Active Autowerke single mid, and SST valve controller. Competely awakens the car
Would that void the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 02:55 PM   #6
yeetyeet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
2024 M3 Comp X-Drive  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rh6363 View Post
Would that void the warranty?
I don’t see it voiding any warranty, i mean, its not damaging anything, all you’re doing is removing anything hindering the exhaust flow, and then the valve controller is just an extra step between the factory harness and the valve boxes. So if I ever want to go back, i just unplug the controller, and plug the factory harness back into the boxes.

For the midpipe, reverting is simple also, just now I will have a clamp instead of a clean uncut pipe, which isn’t a big deal either. If you damaged the axleback in some way, they wouldnt replace the entire exhaust, they would cut on the factory dimples and replace the needed section.

BUT I guess you could potentially come across a dealer that could be uptight about it. Pretty sure I have seen other threads of people saying it wont effect anything.
      02-25-2024, 07:04 PM   #7
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

+1 for midpipe + valve controller. You definitely want the valve controller as a mid pipe on it's own can be a bit underwhelming.

It's not likely to impact warranty and remember that it's actually in a dealership's best interest to do warranty work. They get paid from BMW HQ for the work and help strengthen a relationship with a potential future customer. Engine tuning etc. is a different story because the computers can detect it, but small hardware mods like an intake and exhaust tend not to have any impact.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 11:39 PM   #8
twinblack
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Just curious as isn't there already a valve controller button, what does an after market controller one do?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 11:42 PM   #9
ronronson
Rep
Drives: 2021 g80 M3 comp

Only the aftermarket valve controller opens them 100%.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 08:10 AM   #10
ScuttleBug
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition 50 Jahre

From what I can gather, you most likely don't want to spend big $$$(?), but still want to experience the grunt that the car can give (and deserves).

I was in a similar situation and literally just took it to an expert exhaust outfit and asked to have both resonators removed. One resonator was replaced with 2 x straight pipes and the other with an X-pipe. The result? In Sport mode, it sounds grunty, pops and crackles and makes me smile every time. In nana-mode it still quiet so you won't annoy your neighbours.

Yes, surely there are great (and loud!!) exhausts. Personally I like the Remus system and might lean towards getting one later down the line. For now, the simple outfit that costed me $800 gives me great pleasure.
Appreciate 0