08-28-2022, 02:07 PM   #199
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Try other tracks a few times and then come back to your home one. It opens up your mind a bit more and helps with confidence.
Im spoiled..this facility is the nicest in a 300 mile radius. Little kids take up the weekends so I take a weekday morning when work is light
      08-28-2022, 02:17 PM   #200
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
Yeah I know what you mean about confidence problems.
You and @jmg were certainly in the back of my mind
      08-30-2022, 04:21 PM   #201
Blk5er33
Private
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl1by View Post
I used to HPDE my C5, and within 4 years of 4 -7 events a year it had become quite challenging with the competing events of the time. Sold it all and relaxed, but missed it. G80 comes into the mix, took delivery 9 March 2021, and enjoyed it hugely at multiple tracks until a significant track incident this spring. Track insurance covered it, and awaiting a new G80. Trying to pull back from the limits of driver and car and regroup is a challenge, and driving at 70% of your limit is just not as exciting.

Where is that happy medium..?
I'm sry to hear about your incident this Spring. Did you have track insurance for the full value of the car? Last time I only insured it for 60K worth since I didn't feel I needed to do the full value of the car. Is that allowed by the insurers?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 09:44 AM   #202
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk5er33 View Post
I'm sry to hear about your incident this Spring. Did you have track insurance for the full value of the car? Last time I only insured it for 60K worth since I didn't feel I needed to do the full value of the car. Is that allowed by the insurers?
Depends on the company. It's something you need pointed out as covered in their policy.

Before I switched to self-insuring my track car, I kept buying per event insurance for open track days. HPDE insurance doesn't cover open track days, especially those without instructors, so it's something to keep in mind. There are policies that cover open track days, but HPDE insurance specifically does not.
      09-10-2022, 04:12 PM   #203
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_P View Post
You're only in the middle stages of addiction. At around the 4-year mark, many chose between competitive events or instructing. I chose W2W. As a rookie, there was another ladder / learning curve insofar as pace and racecraft. What you thought was a good pace in your solo run group isn't even close to the front runners. New challenges, new goals, lots to learn. Addiction is now full blown. At this point, it'll be almost impossible to go back to a driving school environment and observe the usual etiquettes. All of the competing pressures (family, kids, work, money) (and money) are 10x compared to doing driving events. It's a journey, everyone is different. Good luck with yours. I have few regrets.
Agree. I went down the slippery slope fast.. became an instructor in 3 years and still wasn't enough for me so I went racing.. Did that for about 5 years quite intensely and kind of burned out on it tbh.. so I paused for about 5 years but the itch to come back was too much to resist so I went back to Skip Barber last year to get my comp license back. Part of it was all the extra work with race cars, trailers, towing etc etc. It became more like work and not fun. With the G80 I am really enjoying the simplicity of driving the car to the track, unloading my box of tools, torque wheels, put gas in and go on track. Much simpler, low pressure fun. As for racing, I am doing a few events with my old team (new name and new cars), just arrive and drive where I don't have to worry about the details. It costs more but is definitely worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 06:42 PM   #204
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_P View Post
You're only in the middle stages of addiction. At around the 4-year mark, many chose between competitive events or instructing. I chose W2W. As a rookie, there was another ladder / learning curve insofar as pace and racecraft. What you thought was a good pace in your solo run group isn't even close to the front runners. New challenges, new goals, lots to learn. Addiction is now full blown. At this point, it'll be almost impossible to go back to a driving school environment and observe the usual etiquettes. All of the competing pressures (family, kids, work, money) (and money) are 10x compared to doing driving events. It's a journey, everyone is different. Good luck with yours. I have few regrets.
Agree. I went down the slippery slope fast.. became an instructor in 3 years and still wasn't enough for me so I went racing.. Did that for about 5 years quite intensely and kind of burned out on it tbh.. so I paused for about 5 years but the itch to come back was too much to resist so I went back to Skip Barber last year to get my comp license back. Part of it was all the extra work with race cars, trailers, towing etc etc. It became more like work and not fun. With the G80 I am really enjoying the simplicity of driving the car to the track, unloading my box of tools, torque wheels, put gas in and go on track. Much simpler, low pressure fun. As for racing, I am doing a few events with my old team (new name and new cars), just arrive and drive where I don't have to worry about the details. It costs more but is definitely worth it.
Im going to drive a formula Mazda Friday. I can garage at the track. The builder is an hour from me. Not going to go racing tomorrow but Its a purer platform to practice on
DRLane3990.00
      09-10-2022, 07:33 PM   #205
TrackM4x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk5er33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl1by View Post
I used to HPDE my C5, and within 4 years of 4 -7 events a year it had become quite challenging with the competing events of the time. Sold it all and relaxed, but missed it. G80 comes into the mix, took delivery 9 March 2021, and enjoyed it hugely at multiple tracks until a significant track incident this spring. Track insurance covered it, and awaiting a new G80. Trying to pull back from the limits of driver and car and regroup is a challenge, and driving at 70% of your limit is just not as exciting.

Where is that happy medium..?
You can insure for just partial but you have to factor in that most States total if the damage exceeds 50% of value and the insurance company owns your car if it's totaled, whether you insure for $60k or $100k. They sell the totaled car to part out or as a salvage title to recoup costs from it. So there comes a point where there is less or even no benefit to insuring it because the delta between the insurance payout and what your totaled car is worth gets narrower and narrower. So say you total your $100k car on track and it costs $55k to fix. The insurance keeps the car, and you get a $60k payout minus your $6-9k deductible which means you may have got 0 benefit from the insurance. Now if your car burst into a ball of flames and nothing but dust is left then yea you got some benefit there haha.

Last edited by TrackM4x; 09-11-2022 at 03:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 12:10 AM   #206
pinky_chi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6mt

MDM vs DSC-OFF

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that MDM was more than just a sporty traction control and after an autocross event this weekend I can definitely confirm it does more than just allow some slip. In my experience, it is more of a loose traction control + stability control. It seems to keep the rear more stable in corner entry in both roll and squat. My guess is its doing something like https://www.topgear.com/car-news/mil...ing-called-kpc by working the rear brakes. This would also confirm why some people have been experiencing excessive rear pad wear in MDM. Either way it makes it very hard to trail brake oversteer on corner entry. Go in too hot and the car just plows and you get massive understeer. I only ran 30% of my laps in MDM so I can't 100% confirm but it seems to keep the car stable mid-corner as well.

On the traction control side, MDM definitely allows some slip but I've noticed only in defined, larger (in autocross terms) corners. Anything sharper than that and it won't give you power until you're straight. Slaloms, tight hairpins, chicanes (again all relative to autocross), and you wont get any slip whatsoever.

All this makes sense though, MDM was obviously tuned for the race track and not autocross. I haven't yet ran the car in DSC-off at an actual track, only MDM so far so next time I'll have to try both and see if everything I felt in autocross also holds true on a real track. The times I've ran with MDM on a track though I've had no problems with it and didn't feel like it was invasive. I however keep it under 9/10ths at the track so maybe I haven't fully hit its limits yet either.

Anyway, here's my best run from this past weekend, with DSC-OFF
Appreciate 3
PLF693767.50
jmg18723.50
      09-12-2022, 04:04 PM   #207
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky_chi View Post
I remember reading somewhere on this forum that MDM was more than just a sporty traction control and after an autocross event this weekend I can definitely confirm it does more than just allow some slip. In my experience, it is more of a loose traction control + stability control. It seems to keep the rear more stable in corner entry in both roll and squat. My guess is its doing something like https://www.topgear.com/car-news/mildly-updated-mazda-mx-5-now-comes-something-called-kpc by working the rear brakes. This would also confirm why some people have been experiencing excessive rear pad wear in MDM. Either way it makes it very hard to trail brake oversteer on corner entry. Go in too hot and the car just plows and you get massive understeer. I only ran 30% of my laps in MDM so I can't 100% confirm but it seems to keep the car stable mid-corner as well.

On the traction control side, MDM definitely allows some slip but I've noticed only in defined, larger (in autocross terms) corners. Anything sharper than that and it won't give you power until you're straight. Slaloms, tight hairpins, chicanes (again all relative to autocross), and you wont get any slip whatsoever.

All this makes sense though, MDM was obviously tuned for the race track and not autocross. I haven't yet ran the car in DSC-off at an actual track, only MDM so far so next time I'll have to try both and see if everything I felt in autocross also holds true on a real track. The times I've ran with MDM on a track though I've had no problems with it and didn't feel like it was invasive. I however keep it under 9/10ths at the track so maybe I haven't fully hit its limits yet either.

Mdm gets in the way in corner exit getting in the throttle, delays the power coming in big time…Its a no for me on track
M4Tejas789.50
      09-12-2022, 09:34 PM   #208
TrackM4x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
Quote:
I remember reading somewhere on this forum that MDM was more than just a sporty traction control and after an autocross event this weekend I can definitely confirm it does more than just allow some slip. In my experience, it is more of a loose traction control + stability control. It seems to keep the rear more stable in corner entry in both roll and squat. My guess is its doing something like https://www.topgear.com/car-news/mildly-updated-mazda-mx-5-now-comes-something-called-kpc by working the rear brakes. This would also confirm why some people have been experiencing excessive rear pad wear in MDM. Either way it makes it very hard to trail brake oversteer on corner entry. Go in too hot and the car just plows and you get massive understeer. I only ran 30% of my laps in MDM so I can't 100% confirm but it seems to keep the car stable mid-corner as well.

Mdm gets in the way in corner exit getting in the throttle, delays the power coming in big time…Its a no for me on track
I still feel like DSC off interferes too much. I am on xDrive so I thought maybe it's just the xDrive. Is there some secret FULLY off everything button/code on this car?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 11:33 PM   #209
pinky_chi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
Interesting, I wonder if different setups move the calibration point towards however way you bias it. I've been able to power oversteer no problem on corner exit in MDM. More testing to be had...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 11:36 PM   #210
pinky_chi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackM4x View Post
I still feel like DSC off interferes too much. I am on xDrive so I thought maybe it's just the xDrive. Is there some secret FULLY off everything button/code on this car?
I can see that being the case with x-drive since its constantly splitting torque front-rear. I wonder what would happen if you pulled the ABS fuse...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 08:20 PM   #211
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
I wonder what would happen if you pulled the ABS fuse...
flatspot your tires.. coming in hot at high speed, high mass, with not much steering feel..
Appreciate 2
pinky_chi172.00
Jobe10178.00
      09-15-2022, 08:01 AM   #212
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
Quote:
I wonder what would happen if you pulled the ABS fuse...
flatspot your tires.. coming in hot at high speed, high mass, with not much steering feel..
+1

I am often well beyond threshold and get saved by abs, hear that first chirp and can release at that point. The brakes bite really hard and require a much more softer engagement. It feels like the electronic assistance detects pedal velocity and applies brake pressure proportionally..Im not a fan of brake by wire
M4Tejas789.50
      09-17-2022, 09:41 AM   #213
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
I definitely felt intervention in DSC Off with the Xdrive M4 and Xdrive M340i

On some track I almost preferred to drive the M4 in RWD mode. Actually If I were to buy another G80/82 for track duties I'd go with a Manual RWD.

I never felt this in the F87 M2 either, DSC Off was just Off, felt different in the XDrive.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 04:57 PM   #214
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Quote:
I definitely felt intervention in DSC Off with the Xdrive M4 and Xdrive M340i

On some track I almost preferred to drive the M4 in RWD mode. Actually If I were to buy another G80/82 for track duties I'd go with a Manual RWD.

I never felt this in the F87 M2 either, DSC Off was just Off, felt different in the XDrive.
What you're feeling has nothing to do with DSC. It's the XDrive transferring power where needed independently of DSC.
      09-19-2022, 05:45 PM   #215
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
What you're feeling has nothing to do with DSC. It's the XDrive transferring power where needed independently of DSC.
Probably but on tight corners I didn't like the feeling, felt better in RWD mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 08:55 PM   #216
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Probably but on tight corners I didn't like the feeling, felt better in RWD mode.
What is it doing? Cutting power? I haven't felt anything close to what DSC feels like, even on tight corners. It should be seamless.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 08:59 PM   #217
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
What is it doing? Cutting power? I haven't felt anything close to what DSC feels like, even on tight corners. It should be seamless.
Hesitation to rotate/understeer

Did you try the same laps in AWD/AWD Sport and RWD just for fun ?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 09:33 PM   #218
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

No. Maybe I should next time!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 09:41 PM   #219
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Quote:

I have not experienced any hesitation or corner entry / rotation issues. I run exclusively in 4WD Sport. I have owned and drove both RWD G82 and XDrive G82 on the same track. Tried both MDM and DSC Off.

There is indeed a smidge more understeer in the XDrive, but lap times were significantly faster than RWD version. Smooth as butter on corner entry and rotation.

How's your alignment? I generally prefer Zero front toe.
      09-19-2022, 09:50 PM   #220
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have never experienced that and I owned and drove both RWD G82 and XDrive G82. There was indeed a smidge more understeer in the XDrive, but lap times were much faster in the and didn't notice any hesitation to rotate or on corner entry.
How's your alignment? I have and generally prefer Zero front toe.
I guess this could be very track dependent, the car was aligned with -3.0 Front Camber and 0 Toe, Rear was stock -1.35 Camber and around .15 totall toe in.

Keep in mind it was a heavy convertible with a smidge more flexible frame so it could have some to do. It was a tire eater for sure.

I agree I was "faster" in AWD Sport DSC Off but just saying the car felt more eager to rotate in RWD mode. It's a great system, I can't say I see much downsides if one it already going for the heavier 8AT version. Eager to see how the CSL feels but I am lusting about a plane base 6MT M3.. Need to make up my mind
Appreciate 0