BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

Yesterday, 04:28 AM   #1
keperna
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Drifting Issue in 2023 M3 Touring – Rear Tires Jumping and Loud Thumping Noise

Hi everyone,

I’m experiencing an issue with my 2023 M3 Touring when attempting to drift in the rain. The rear tires feel like they are jumping/hopping, accompanied by a loud thumping noise from the rear that continues as long as I’m on the gas. I haven’t tried completely turning off the traction control yet, but the problem persists across drift modes 1-10. This also happens in a straight line and above 3.000 rpm when wheels start spinning a bit.

Is this behavior normal for the M3 Touring? Has anyone else faced a similar issue, or does anyone have suggestions on what might be causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:37 AM   #2
keperna
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I’m guessing it might just be the traction control working extra hard to keep me from spinning out. I’ve watched a few videos of wet drifting, and while I often see the power cutting off, I haven’t seen this jumpy rear tire/transmission? behavior.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:22 AM   #3
FXMR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Sounds like wheel hop. Try breaking them loose more (e.g., adding more throttle) and see if it stops.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:28 AM   #4
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02 S2k, 04 Rx8, 22 M3P, 23 m3

Need more power input or lesser tire. The tire are on the brink of traction and every hop you feel is the tire grabbing then slipping.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 08:40 AM   #5
keperna
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Seems like the more power the give the more I prolong the actual hopping in the rear. Almost feels like im damaging the car at this point.
Will try to give it even more power though and get back to you! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:42 PM   #6
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

That’s wheel hop. It’s pretty bad on my 6MT M3, so I just avoid trying to do burnouts or sliding the car. And yes, it can cause damage to the diff, diff housing, or axles.

Wheel hop is caused by bushing deflection. The best way to alleviate it is by switching to poly or solid bushings…not something I care to do on this car.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:13 PM   #7
keperna
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Arent these cars made for sliding/burnouts? Strange this problem is so persistent. I would have imagined these hops would be worst in the dry since the grip is higher then, but seems to only happen when driving over wet surfaces..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:28 PM   #8
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Maybe stupid question but do you have traction control off?
If not, it might be trying to connect tires to the road.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:31 PM   #9
keperna
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Traction control is off but I usually keep the 10-stage traction control between 2 and 4 to keep the car from spinning out
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:29 PM   #10
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by keperna View Post
Traction control is off but I usually keep the 10-stage traction control between 2 and 4 to keep the car from spinning out
Try all off on a controlled environment and see if it improves.
When I did a drift event, I had to turn everything off in order to drift properly or the car would try to gain traction and exhibit similar behavior.
Appreciate 1
M4ord791.50
      Yesterday, 07:31 PM   #11
Gottagofast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp X-Drive

Definitely not wheel hop. There is nothing wrong with your car. People that are suggesting wheel hop are incorrect.

Tires are just struggling for traction and you are most likely on partial throttle. Essentially, you're supplying just enough torque to the rear wheels to break traction but not enough to completely spin the surface of the tires loose from the tarmac. The diff is also trying to compensate by spinning the outside tire more or the inside tire less or a combination of both so you will feel the judder. Apply more power and it will go away.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:11 PM   #12
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21'-x3m40i 23'-m4c 24'-x3mc

Sounds like wheel hop.

Curious? Stock rear springs or aftermarket springs (lower). ??
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:49 AM   #13
keperna
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Lou View Post
Sounds like wheel hop.

Curious? Stock rear springs or aftermarket springs (lower). ??
Car is fully stock!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:51 AM   #14
keperna
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Try all off on a controlled environment and see if it improves.
When I did a drift event, I had to turn everything off in order to drift properly or the car would try to gain traction and exhibit similar behavior.
Will do, there arent a lot of events around here and is a bit of a pain to find an empty parking lot where I live.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:53 AM   #15
keperna
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottagofast View Post
Definitely not wheel hop. There is nothing wrong with your car. People that are suggesting wheel hop are incorrect.

Tires are just struggling for traction and you are most likely on partial throttle. Essentially, you're supplying just enough torque to the rear wheels to break traction but not enough to completely spin the surface of the tires loose from the tarmac. The diff is also trying to compensate by spinning the outside tire more or the inside tire less or a combination of both so you will feel the judder. Apply more power and it will go away.
The more power I give the more I prolong this ‘thump’. Once I get my foot off the gas it instantly stops. But like you said I will try giving it even more power, I am just scared I will just damage the drivetrain and transmission in the process.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:33 AM   #16
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

What tire pressure? I've found that a slight pressure adjustment can affect tendency to wheel hop.

Regarding more throttle, yes that's probably part of it, but you're going for a clean break of traction. If it starts hopping best to just let off because it's likely to keep bouncing around even with more throttle and obviously it's super rough on the drivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:39 AM   #17
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21'-x3m40i 23'-m4c 24'-x3mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by keperna View Post
Car is fully stock!
So - try increasing (rear) tire pressure significantly (lessening traction) and see if it makes it better. That would support the case for wheel hop.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:50 AM   #18
keperna
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I try to keep my psi around the 36-38 range. How high should I go for the rears without playing with the dynamics of the car?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0